Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mavs pick up Brand for 2.1 million

Default Re: Mavs pick up Brand for 2.1 million

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm starting to feel the same way, the 3 or 4 years rebuilding plan has been a fail.
    Larry was Executive of the year last year, call that failure if you wish. Not good for your credibility.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:

Do you notice we're not the only team that passed on him for this low contract and he happened to end up in the place he said he wanted to be at? That's not a coincidence.

Brains of the Operation.

I'm starting to feel the same way, the 3 or 4 years rebuilding plan has been a fail.
    Good lord, what would you consider a success?

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to littlerichard54 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Well, I'm happy with the moves this summer, but this seems to be a fairly negligent incident by the Pacers, unless someone can explain it to me otherwise.

Could we have had Brand if we simply delayed Hibbert and Hill's signing ceremony? Say it ain't so, Joe.
    yes....we absolutely couldve...and the same goes for scola...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes, the Pacers are the only team that passed on Brand because we are failures, 29 other teams all bid on him due to their wisdom exceeding ours by leaps and bounds.

Some of you need to get in touch with reality more often. Brand went for a ridiculously low bid, maybe 3 million lower than what some people expected. You guys who are complaining think it was an accident that the team that put in the low bid happened to be Dallas? We'll never know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if Brand said through his agent to teams interested in claiming him, "If I don't end up in Dallas, then I'll just retire."

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by littlerichard54 View Post
    Good lord, what would you consider a success?
    Right or wrong, we all know by now that Vnzla will only consider a championship a success and he will not be happy til the moment the trophy is hoisted. I don't necessarily agree with him, but I see his angle as well. It's just the way it is.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Yes, the Pacers are the only team that passed on Brand because we are failures, 29 other teams all bid on him due to their wisdom exceeding ours by leaps and bounds.

Some of you need to get in touch with reality more often. Brand went for a ridiculously low bid, maybe 3 million lower than what some people expected. You guys who are complaining think it was an accident that the team that put in the low bid happened to be Dallas? We'll never know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if Brand said through his agent to teams interested in claiming him, "If I don't end up in Dallas, then I'll just retire."

You call the bluff. Brand at his age isn't going to retire.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Brand didn't take well to coming on the bench that one year in Philly. He probably let it be known that we would retire rather then not start.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchConnection View Post
    Brand didn't take well to coming on the bench that one year in Philly. He probably let it be known that we would retire rather then not start.
    Unless Kaman gets injured, he's going to come off the bench for Dallas.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dallas did a better job than us in rebuilding, DC, DJ, Marion, Dirk, Kaman and Brand off the bench.
    Wait... I'm pretty sure Collison, Marion and Kaman will all start.

Unless Dirk plays center, then Brand would start.

Maybe I'm just confused about their roster or something. What are you thinking their depth chart will look like given their current roster???

Also, we should have offered 2.2 for a 1 year rental :P

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    You call the bluff. Brand at his age isn't going to retire.
    Yes that would be great for chemistry on a young upcoming team. Forcing a vet who still wants to start to come off the bench. I don't get why we didn't do that.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    there is no "if" anymore.

We can't bid on Scola even if we were to trade Tyler, Lance, Pendy for nothing but draft picks, and also give away the draft rights to Plum and OJ.

I didn't think second round picks were guaranteed. We traded to get him so obviously we're keeping him and whatever he makes won't be worth much anyways so it doesn't really matter. I didn't think you had to sign or pay 2nd round picks?

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    What's with the tinfoil hat picture?

It's not like deals have ever been made under the table. I'm assuming the Pacers knew they'd get Augustin after trading they're only back up point guard.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to TOP For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    Yes that would be great for chemistry on a young upcoming team. Forcing a vet who still wants to start to come off the bench. I don't get why we didn't do that.
    He wanted to go to Dallas where I'm thinking he will also come off the bench. Only way he starts is if Dirk starts at center. Otherwise Kaman and Dirk will start.

Mood

Not possible Billups did that last year and Stern said if he didn't play for the team that claimed him he wouldn't get paid his 14 million owed to him. If Brand is willing to walk from 18 million because he doesn't want to be a pacer after clamied be my guest. I would call that bluff 100/100.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

resume the mass wrist slitting. at this point, i think some of you guys are enjoying being outraged at each turn of events.

there has to be a reason why brand only went at 2.1 mil when a dozen or so teams need a good backup PF. hell, some teams don't even have a starting PF.
    Last edited by Frostwolf; 07-14-2012 at 12:11 AM.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frostwolf For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    He wanted to go to Dallas where I'm thinking he will also come off the bench. Only way he starts is if Dirk starts at center. Otherwise Kaman and Dirk will start.
    Which is why I said what I did. If he wants to be someplace it won't be as big a deal. Of course in the interview he stated he would have to play at center beside Dirk which he didn't seem too upset about. I don't think he would be happy here backing up even if he had to come, but then the front office seems to like what they have put together so the point seems moot. Were either he or Scola the missing parts we needed to beat the Heat? Doubtful.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Staverman View Post
    Interesting Timeline

The Pacers needed to hold off the Hill and Hibbert signings to have cap space to make moves.

Brand was amnestied and said he hoped he would get claimed by Dallas

The Pacers expressed interest in using the open space to bid on Brand

The agent for Elton Brand??.......David Falk who wants Brand to get maximum playing time to try to earn another contract and also happens to be Hibbert's agent

At 4pm there is a press conference announcing Hill and Hibbert's contracts signed eliminating Pacers cap space and ability to bid on Brand

5pm Brand awarded to Dallas for 2.1 million

Did Falk force the Pacers to sign the Hibbert deal to get his other client to Dallas?...you will have to connect the dots for yourself!
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Billups tried that last year. Didn't work. Read the last half of this article.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...illups-waivers

30. The Following User Says Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

I'll just point out that no, 29 other teams didn't pass on Brand for $2.1m. Only under the cap teams are eligible to join in the bidding. Not really sure which teams are still under the cap right now - Suns, Blazers, Mavs, Hornets, Kings, I think. Not sure who else.

We're not under the cap either, but we could have been if we delayed the timing of Hibbert and Hill's signings. Don't know if something forced our hand, or that we're simply not interested in joining the bidding.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    Good point. Thanks for pointing this out.

I would have thanked this post but it was sarcastic.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

With Brand adding depth to the front line and being a legitimate two-way contributer the Pacers win a lot of games next year.

When has Brand ever been on a team with the talent to compete deep in the playoffs? My guess is he would adapt just fine to coming off the bench and I don't see him as the type of individual to wreck a teams chemistry or poison younger players out of spite. As others have said you call that bluff 100 out of 100 times and put in your best bid.

The other thing that I see could have been a huge positive with Brand is that he and West playing in the same rotation could easily extend the years both of them would be effective contributors. If a clear upgrade at the 4 isn't possible next year the team could have signed both of them to reasonble deals and stayed competative for the forseeable future.

Unless there is something going on with the cap we don't know about this was a huge gaff by the front office. Based on comments by Pritchard that they couldn't bid because of the Hill/Hibbert signing I'm calling it a major F'up.

Of course if they pull off some sort of master stroke deal and turn Hansbbroughs sorry carcass into something useful all is forgiven but I'm not holding my breath.
    Last edited by Downtown Bang!; 07-14-2012 at 08:29 AM.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    yes....we absolutely couldve...and the same goes for scola...
    I love this sense that we can just go do whatever we want in regard to signing players, as if other teams, agents, and the players themselves have no say in the matter.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Train For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    I love this sense that we can just go do whatever we want in regard to signing players, as if other teams, agents, and the players themselves have no say in the matter.
    Well then you obviously dont know how the waiver amnesty program works and didnt look at the question this answer was in response to. Agents and players have absolutely no say in this particular matter. Its simply a bidding of those teams under the cap making a bid with the high bid winning. Period. No agent input. No player refusing or choosing somewhere else because he doesnt like the team or city. Only a one-time bid with the highest bid winning. So the answer was simple when asked if we wouldve waited to sign Hibbert and Hill could we have gotten Brand or Scola...

Yes. As very few teams were under the cap and even fewer actually had an interest. As is evidenced by the 2.1 million winning bid. Scola should be even more interesting.