Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mavs pick up Brand for 2.1 million

Default Mavs pick up Brand for 2.1 million

Mavericks claim Elton BrandUpdated: July 13, 2012, 5:48 PM ETBy Marc Stein | ESPN.com

Elton Brand has been claimed off amnesty waivers by the Dallas Mavericks, the team announced Friday.

The Mavs won the rights to Brand with a winning bid of $2.1 million, according to sources close to the process.

The league's 30 teams were notified shortly after 5 p.m. ET Friday that the Mavericks had lodged the winning waiver bid for Brand, who was released Wednesday by the Philadelphia 76ers through the amnesty clause in the NBA's new labor agreement.

"Excited," Brand said when reached Friday by ESPN.com. "I figured that I'd be claimed (off waivers) and that's definitely the destination I was hoping for."

The Sixers will still have to pay out the remaining balance of the $18.2 million owed Brand this season in the final year of his contract.

"It's going to be great playing with someone of Dirk Nowitzki's caliber," Brand said. "Chris Kaman is still a really good player and is going to show everybody that. And I've heard a lot of good things about Coach [Rick] Carlisle."

Only teams under the salary cap were eligible to bid on claiming Brand off waivers. He'd have become an unrestricted free agent had he cleared waivers, but the Mavericks were determined not to let the opportunity to claim Brand pass as they continue their recovery from missing out on top free-agent targets Deron Williams and Steve Nash.

More on the Mavericks
    News, notes and analysis of the Mavericks from ESPNDallas.com's Jeff Caplan, Tim MacMahon and our team.
    Blog » ESPN Dallas »

The Mavericks have rallied this week to add Brand, the former All-Star center Kaman and starter-level point guard Darren Collison all on one-year deals, enabling Dallas to preserve maximum salary-cap flexibility for the summer of 2013 and their planned pursuits of stars such as Dwight Howard and Chris Paul.

Dallas signed Kaman to a one-year deal worth $8 million on Wednesday and then completed a sign-and-trade deal Thursday with the Indiana Pacers to import Collison and swingman Dahntay Jones, with center Ian Mahimni joining the Pacers.

Brand said he knows he'll be expected to play center alongside Nowitzki, despite the fact that the German is taller, but the former All-Star, now 33, said he welcomes the opportunity.

"I did it all last season," Brand said of guarding centers. "Of course, there's a few guys we all have trouble with, but I'm not worried about it all."

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Banned

Default Re: Mavs pick up Brand for 2.1 million

Dallas did a better job than us in rebuilding, DC, DJ, Marion, Dirk, Kaman and Brand off the bench.

Huh.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Huh.
    The fact that Dallas won Brand with a measly lowball offer is just a shame to me... You can't tell me that we couldn't beat that... We could have made a lowball bid and then sold Tyler for a future 2nd to get back under the lux tax if need be... Poor form FO... Poor form... Shows a lack of respect to the fans of the team, to not try and win Brand...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to *astrisk* For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Dallas did a better job than us in rebuilding, DC, DJ, Marion, Dirk, Kaman and Brand off the bench.
    More cost-effective true, but I don't know about "better". That's basically a band-aid lineup until they can get cap space again next season, when they go after Howard, Paul, etc.

Regarding Brand though, I can't believe the winning bid on him is just $2.1m. The guy averaged 11 and 7 on good efficiency while being an excellent defender, and that's only worth $2.1m to other teams?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dallas got a steal on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by *astrisk* View Post
    The fact that Dallas won Brand with a measly lowball offer is just a shame to me... You can't tell me that we couldn't beat that... We could have made a lowball bid and then sold Tyler for a future 2nd to get back under the lux tax if need be... Poor form FO... Poor form... Shows a lack of respect to the fans of the team, to not try and win Brand...
    He wanted to be in Dallas.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Harddrive7 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

If they dont go after Scola, which its looking like that might be the case....well....sad...just sad. 20 million in capspace and what do you have to show for it? Wow. Just wow. Im beginning to understand exactly why Bird left. To go thru all the pains of making over the roster from the brawl fallout. To work hard and have to endure the Troy Murphys and Mike Dunleavys of the world. To clear all that capspace and get to the point of finally being able to make impactful moves and go after game changers.

The offseason has just started...but with HIbbert and Hill now re-signed, most everything that can be done appears to be done. If thats the case....well...its really a pretty massive fail....and yes...it very much appears its totally because of money. As someone else stated....what a shame...its just a damn shame....after all this franchise has been thru the last few years to finally have the opportunity and then to proceed in the fashion that they have...wow...just wow...

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    If they dont go after Scola, which its looking like that might be the case....well....sad...just sad. 20 million in capspace and what do you have to show for it? Wow. Just wow. Im beginning to understand exactly why Bird left. To go thru all the pains of making over the roster from the brawl fallout. To work hard and have to endure the Troy Murphys and Mike Dunleavys of the world. To clear all that capspace and get to the point of finally being able to make impactful moves and go after game changers.

The offseason has just started...but with HIbbert and Hill now re-signed, most everything that can be done appears to be done. If thats the case....well...its really a pretty massive fail....and yes...it very much appears its totally because of money. As someone else stated....what a shame...its just a damn shame....after all this franchise has been thru the last few years to finally have the opportunity and then to proceed in the fashion that they have...wow...just wow...
    I'm starting to feel the same way, the 3 or 4 years rebuilding plan has been a fail.

I wonder if his agent said, ya don't make a claim on him or maybe the next go around with my other clients won't be as nice.

Sports Logo

Did we even have the capspace to make a $2,100,000.01 offer?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

3rd see in the East, kept a growing nucleus together as they head into their prime, add a potentially better bench, that is a damn shame, well we can always look back on now and remember how terrible it all is and has been. Damn you front office, damn you owner!!! I just can't believe they didn't get this done. This is the worst offseason ever, no the worst basketball team in the history of the NBA, no the history of the world. OMG THE AGONY, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH HHHHHHH!!!!!!

19. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Please explain how it's about money if we just used all of our capspace?

We just added like over $100 million in contracts. And we've been over the cap, sometimes even in the luxury tax area, nearly every year for almost 20 years. The past couple years are the first time that hasn't happened.

You can disagree with the quality of the moves but Simon has shown year after year that he's willing to spend. Naptown Seth wrote a great post about this a day or two ago but I can't find it. Can we please stop with this false meme?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Now that we aren't under the cap we won't get Scola either.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    DC, DJ were not among our best 8 players and have been replaced with better players (Augustin, Green).

I'll take Hibs over Kamen any day, Danny over Marion now.

Dirk being better than West and Brand being a better backup than Mahinmi doesn't make up for the other advantages.

They lost their most effective bench player, Terry, too. We lost what?
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

I don't know why you're so depressed. I'm quite happy with what the Pacers have done. To preface - we didn't pay much last year because we had so many players who were still playing on their rookie contracts and were far outperforming their worth. You can't expect our guys to keep on accepting the same amount of money once their contracts are up when they've played so well. You also can't expect to keep them if you lowball them. Hill and Hibbert needed to be paid significantly more given that their rookie contracts were up. We kept our starting lineup in tact, AND we upgraded our bench. We addressed our big man depth problem and we didn't overreach on any player. We didn't overpay (ex. Batum 4 year 46.5mil or Lin 3 year 25 mil) and instead, we got great deals on Gerald Green and DJ Augustin at about 3.3-3.5mil/year each. Just to throw it out there, I think paying Mayo 7mil+/year is overpaying given his production the past few seasons. Its easy to be enamored by big name players, but thats likely exactly why they get paid so much.

Just because we don't know what Ian Mahinmi does, doesn't mean that he's a bad player. Yes, it seems like we could have gotten more for Collison, but bottom line is, Collison wasn't really working for us, wanted to be starter, is going to command much more money next year once his rookie contract is up, and Mahinmi only cost us 16mil/4years while other bigmen of similar caliberhave been EASILY been paid double that amount.

With that being said...what do you propose we should have done?

Is the full Middle level exception now in play, if they wanted to use it?

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Did we even have the capspace to make a $2,100,000.01 offer?
    If we had delayed the Hibbert Hill signings to Monday, we would have
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    DC, DJ were not among our best 8 players and have been replaced with better players (Augustin, Green).

I'll take Hibs over Kamen any day, Danny over Marion now.

Dirk being better than West and Brand being a better backup than Mahinmi doesn't make up for the other advantages.

They lost their most effective bench player, Terry, too. We lost what?
    I meant to say that two days ago they didn't have a team and now the kind of do and we helped them by giving them two pieces.

If they dont go after Scola, which its looking like that might be the case....well....sad...just sad.
    there is no "if" anymore.

We can't bid on Scola even if we were to trade Tyler, Lance, Pendy for nothing but draft picks, and also give away the draft rights to Plum and OJ.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As long as we are stuck with Hansbrough, we weren't going to put a bid in imo. They've spent quite a bit of money so far. If we were able to flip Hans for Augustin, I think we would have put a bid in on Brand or Scola.

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I wonder if his agent said, ya don't make a claim on him or maybe the next go around with my other clients won't be as nice.
    Interesting Timeline

The Pacers needed to hold off the Hill and Hibbert signings to have cap space to make moves.

Brand was amnestied and said he hoped he would get claimed by Dallas

The Pacers expressed interest in using the open space to bid on Brand

The agent for Elton Brand??.......David Falk who wants Brand to get maximum playing time to try to earn another contract and also happens to be Hibbert's agent

At 4pm there is a press conference announcing Hill and Hibbert's contracts signed eliminating Pacers cap space and ability to bid on Brand

5pm Brand awarded to Dallas for 2.1 million

Did Falk force the Pacers to sign the Hibbert deal to get his other client to Dallas?...you will have to connect the dots for yourself!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Staverman For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Well, I'm happy with the moves this summer, but this seems to be a fairly negligent incident by the Pacers, unless someone can explain it to me otherwise.

Could we have had Brand if we simply delayed Hibbert and Hill's signing ceremony? Say it ain't so, Joe.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Staverman View Post
    Interesting Timeline

The Pacers needed to hold off the Hill and Hibbert signings to have cap space to make moves.

Brand was amnestied and said he hoped he would get claimed by Dallas

The Pacers expressed interest in using the open space to bid on Brand

The agent for Elton Brand??.......David Falk who wants Brand to get maximum playing time to try to earn another contract and also happens to be Hibbert's agent

At 4pm there is a press conference announcing Hill and Hibbert's contracts signed eliminating Pacers cap space and ability to bid on Brand

5pm Brand awarded to Dallas for 2.1 million

Did Falk force the Pacers to sign the Hibbert deal to get his other client to Dallas?...you will have to connect the dots for yourself!

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    I'm curious to hear a list of who the eight players were that were better than DC, because after the starters, I'm having a hard time imagining which three players would be on your list.

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Smits Happens For This Useful Post: