Default Woman sues Justin Bieber, says concert harmed her hearing

This country has officially gone insane

http://news.yahoo.com/woman-sues-bie...192913307.html

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Woman sues Justin Bieber, says concert harmed her hearing

Thats.... hilarious
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Attending the University of Louisville in August!
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The country has NOW gone insane?

Uh, a few years ago a guy stole someone's car, and when he crashed it he and his friends sued the owner of the car. This isn't even close to being that stupid.

Let me be the wet blanket on this 'joke'.... Have you ever had the 'experience' of working a concert or event with a large number of excited, squealing, teen and tween girls? It's very believable this woman has suffered real hearing damage. Granted, I'm having my doubts about the "gondola" acting as a "sound conductor" (altho admittedly I haven't seen it either). She may very well think the gondola was the reason but it's probably just as likely that all the screaming mimis took their toll on her hearing. Probably not helped by the Bieber milking their adulation from above. And it very well could be it was one nearby screaming teen, too close to her ear, that was the straw that broke the camel's back... not the Gondola.

I'm not sure what the answer is here. Should promoters, fully aware of the piercing dB's that will be present warn concert goers and/or make earplugs available (I'd think earplugs at a Justin Bieber concert should be mandatory for other reasons... but I digress )
    It's really not THAT crazy to think someone should have some liability here to warn people who'd never consider just how SHRILL a bunch of teens and tweens can get at a Bieber event in these type of numbers. OTOH, I'm sure lots of people left without any hearing damage. Especially without any long term hearing damage. But, I wouldn't be surprised if others sustained some form of damage that passed and was forgotten... or they didn't directly make the connection or complain.

I can tell you this, I can almost guarantee you Bieber's crew was all wearing earplugs and are fully aware of the hearing damage possibilities from the crowd alone. THAT is where her attorney should be focusing (that members of the production ARE aware of dangers and DO take precautions). The atty probably should NOT focus on the Gondola as some sort of dangerous reflective device because that's probably a dead end and will derail this case (unless there's more to the story of the gondola). If the Bieb's production (and possibly management) team are taking precautions it is not that big of a leap to say warnings about audience dB levels should've been in place for unsuspecting kids, parents and chaperones (who likely have never experienced the ice pick in the ear SHRILLNESS that they heard that night).
    Last edited by Bball; 07-13-2012 at 10:41 PM.
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sorry, it you have teen or tween girls or have worked around them then you know going in what you are facing. People need to stop being babies and take responsibility for their own actions. It isn't like she HAD to go.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry, it you have teen or tween girls or have worked around them then you know going in what you are facing. People need to stop being babies and take responsibility for their own actions. It isn't like she HAD to go.
    I consider it very likely she had no idea the decibels a group of teenage girls could produce en masse... and the damage that could be done to her hearing with that much sound at that frequency range they were likely squealing at. Let alone the sustained nature of it.

We're not talking 20 of them. It was (I assume) several thousand.

As I said, I can almost guarantee you Bieber's production crew were wearing earplugs to protect their hearing from the assault of squealing teens and tweens. It's simply not the same as a normal concert or sporting event. It's not something you're prepared for until you experience an event dominated by that age group in high numbers.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I consider it very likely she had no idea the decibels a group of teenage girls could produce en masse... and the damage that could be done to her hearing with that much sound at that frequency range they were likely squealing at. Let alone the sustained nature of it.

We're not talking 20 of them. It was (I assume) several thousand.

As I said, I can almost guarantee you Bieber's production crew were wearing earplugs to protect their hearing from the assault of squealing teens and tweens. It's simply not the same as a normal concert or sporting event. It's not something you're prepared for until you experience an event dominated by that age group in high numbers.
    At most concerts I've been to, the production crew is wearing earplugs. And those concerts aren't full of teens and tweens. Its just standard practice. Concerts are loud. Where are the other people who went deaf from this concert? Its quite possible this woman had hearing problems to start with and shouldn't have attended a concert in the first place.

She hasn't worked since 2005, but for the past year she has been able to get disability from this? My guess is its about to run out. And since she didn't file the lawsuit with a lawyer, I'm guessing one would not touch the case.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    At most concerts I've been to, the production crew is wearing earplugs. And those concerts aren't full of teens and tweens. Its just standard practice. Concerts are loud. Where are the other people who went deaf from this concert? Its quite possible this woman had hearing problems to start with and shouldn't have attended a concert in the first place.

She hasn't worked since 2005, but for the past year she has been able to get disability from this? My guess is its about to run out. And since she didn't file the lawsuit with a lawyer, I'm guessing one would not touch the case.
    I think you missed a portion of my point. I'm saying it's entirely possibly her hearing issues are real and the turn for the worse (or even first known symptoms) appeared at the Bieber concert.

I seriously doubt the gondola portion of her complaint.

And it could've been one screaming girl, at the wrong pitch, at the right angle, at the right time that broke the camel's back.

She very well could've been predisposed to hearing damage even (whether she knew it or not). It doesn't make it any less traumatic for her.

She might be reaching to think Bieber has any culpability here. And I think she's definitely (most likely) reaching thinking the gondola had anything to do with it.

BUT.... I don't think it's a reach to believe she suffered hearing damage that she might well have avoided had she avoided a building filled with screaming teens, and tweens.

It's not like she's blaming it on Bieber's voice. She's blaming it on a likely source that could cause the problems she's describing.

So my overall point is I have some sympathy for her. While the lawsuit might not gain any traction, I don't believe her claims of hearing damage are made up.

------

-John Wooden

Nerd.
    Mood

Nothing.

Mood

The last time I accidentally heard a Justin Bieber song, I'm pretty sure it damaged my hearing too.
    Last edited by travmil; 07-15-2012 at 09:58 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post: