Thread: Vogel - Offense/Defense Theories

Default Vogel - Offense/Defense Theories

Did not see anything posted on this yet, but if there is a thread I missed, please merge. Vogel came in midseason, 2 season ago, and never really got the chance to implement his brand of offense/defense. Then the lockout and schedule didn't allow for practice. Hard to believe that this is the first year that Vogel will have to do all that.

I really just want to see what you guys think Vogel and the coaching staff will do with the offense and defense now that he has time to actually implement his own style. Or just your opinion on the offense/defense.

The bench wasn't as deep as we all originally thought, but I do think some of it has to do with Vogel not being able to implement his brand of offense. They were just very basic plays, and lack of practice really hurt.

The offense needs a complete overhaul if you ask me.

While I'm not sure what Vogel and his coaching staff are going to do, I would like to see the Pacers create mismatches, instead of waiting to see what the other team does and make adjustments. The Pacers have a lot of combo guards, and I hope they use that to their advantage. Whether it's putting Lance at point when there is a much smaller point that isn't super fast, or just taking advantage or our size/speed. I could see DJ and Hill being a very effective speedy back-court in small spurts.

Other than that, I really want a more fluid offense. I hate seeing guys just standing around. Even if the play is isolation for Granger, I'd still like to see movement to at least try and confuse the D. So often, I would see DC run down the shot clock to end a quarter, and everyone knew he was going to take the final shot, and more often that not, he'd find a way to mess things up. More pick n pops, pick n rolls, screens. Our bigs needs to learn how to set effective screen. They always seem to move too soon.

While I think the Pacers defense is already good, I really hope they put a lot of work into defending the screen/pick n roll. Hibbert has trouble with the ones out of the perimeter, so the Pacers need to devise how best to defend that cause they'll see it more and more until they figure it out. PG and Lance have issues, it's all over the place for our guys.

Let me know your thoughts.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Vogel - Offense/Defense Theories

Our lack of a pure shooter limits our offense imho. We are very good in the post with Hibbert/West, but we could be better on the outside. I'm hoping Paul George could be that serious 3 pt threat that nobody wants to leave open
    David "And One" West

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

the type of basketball we'll see this year will be very similar, if not identical, to the smashmouth style we saw last year. our offense started clicking once GH became the starter, so no complete overhaul is necessary.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

If they can just learn to throw decent entry passes, I will be one million times happier.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PritchSlap For This Useful Post:

The offense the pacers used last year was based on identifying mismatches and going at them. So I don't see much change there.

With a training camp and a year to work together, I hope the Pacers do a better job of running the plays that they have. So much of that depends on the ability of the younger players to learn what to do. The lack of experience/BBIQ was a problem last year and could be problematical if the young guys learning curve isn't steep enough.

Guess what I'm saying is 'It depends on the players ability to understand and implement what ever offense Vogel picks. Otherwise it will look a lot like last year. Looking for the guy with the worst defensive player and attacking him.

Quote Originally Posted by adamscb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    the type of basketball we'll see this year will be very similar, if not identical, to the smashmouth style we saw last year. our offense started clicking once GH became the starter, so no complete overhaul is necessary.
    The offense, and whole team, started clicking when we faced an easier schedule. While the starters were better with George because of his defense, I don't think the offense was affected much with him in over Collison.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Our lack of a pure shooter limits our offense imho. We are very good in the post with Hibbert/West, but we could be better on the outside. I'm hoping Paul George could be that serious 3 pt threat that nobody wants to leave open
    When discussing Lance Stephenson's summer league performance, I think Coach Vogel said that D.J. Augustin and Gerald Green were excellent three point shooters and would be the beneficiaries of many a Born Ready drive-and-dish. Whether or not these two share big minutes with our post players, however, remains to be seen. Green's 3pt % (.391) was higher than PG's (.385) last season, but George took twice as many. Unfortunately, our best three point shooter by percentage, Dahntay Jones (.429), was traded to the Mavericks.

DJ like DC was only hitting his threes because he know his limitations. DJ tried to take most of this threes from the corner where it was closer and he knew he could hit, but wasn't a big time threat. DC likewise could only hit if he was wide open with time to set his feet plant and shoot with absolutely no defense...
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

cgg

Quote Originally Posted by PritchSlap View Post
    If they can just learn to throw decent entry passes, I will be one million times happier.
    Id be happy if our bigs could consistently get decent position and not pushed out to toward the 3pt line.