Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pacers Insider: Fans aren't happy, but Kevin Pritchard, Donnie Walsh are upgrading the roster

Default Re: Pacers Insider: Fans aren't happy, but Kevin Pritchard, Donnie Walsh are upgrading the roster

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They did it last year without Rose for must of the season...
    They did it in large part because they're so deep. But now they're battling luxury tax concerns. They've lost Korver, Brewer, Watson, and possibly Asik and only added Hinrich. And it doesn't look like they're going to do much more than add minimum salary guys to their roster to fill it out. Also add in that Deng may need surgery on his wrist after the Olympics. If Thibadeau manages to turn this years team into anything close to the last two years, it will easily be by far his best coaching job.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers Insider: Fans aren't happy, but Kevin Pritchard, Donnie Walsh are upgrading the roster

I think our moves this week need to be viewed as cumulative, and not separate.

Which would we rather have?

A) Collison, Jones, Barbosa/Amundson
    OR
    B) Augustin, Green, Mahinmi

I think that the "B" scenario shows clear upgrades to each of those 3 positions. Both in terms of youth, and in productivity.

I am really bummed about DC. I like him as a player and as a person. Didn't want to see him go, but I realize that he was not fitting in here the way we NEEDED him to in order to compete for a title.

We're in a much better place with "B" than with "A".

The moves may not be flashy, or superstar names... but who cares?! We aren't trying to become a small market Miami Heat, we're trying to become an improved version of the team with the 5th best record in the league last year who challenged the eventual champs!

We've accomplished that. I am more than happy!
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

But then they had the Philly meltdown. Chicago got rid of a lot of their bench and I fully expect them to tank for a better pick without Rose.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

In a shortened season where Rose played 60% of their games. Its quite possible Rose misses the entire season. I'd actually say its likely. ACL tear takes about a year to recover from. If he takes the 9 months like David West did (who wasn't 100% until the end of the season really) that puts us at February 2013, season well under way. Would the Bulls really risk putting him back in so quick in a season that they wont be contenders in? I don't think so.

And like Cubs231721 said, the Bulls have lost some pieces. I don't see them being able to repeat what they did last year. If we don't win the central, I will be very disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Define "pursue." We had both Kaman and Gordon in to Indiana. I'm not sorry we didn't offer crazy money to either one.
    Did we ask them to come or did they consider Indiana enough of a potential destination that they asked for meetings themselves?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Did we ask them to come or did they consider Indiana enough of a potential destination that they asked for meetings themselves?
    Either way, Indiana showed interest. You don't wine and dine a FA for nothing.

I'm pretty satisfied with the overall outcome of our offseason. There are a few minor things issues, including a slight overpay of Hibbert and Hill, but I've certainly seen far worse. I would have also liked to have another year or so on the deal with Augustin, but at least we'll get a chance to get a somewhat better distributor who fits the style a bit better. On the other hand, I feel much better about our situation at C and PF. The wings seem pretty solid. I'd try to aim for another upgrade at PG next, but overall I'm very pleased. Also, the athleticism on this team is fantastic. A third of our squad could probably compete in a dunk competition. It also fits the "smashmouth" style. If Vogel can get the second unit to commit to playing with max effort every moment they are on the floor, that's going to be a tough grind to deal with for opponents. I think that has to be the strategy against the teams that depend on their stars but lack our depth. Attack them every second. Make them play the entire game at a high pace. Wear them down. I would have liked a pick with the Mahinmi trade, but the overall outcome of of the signings (Mahinmi, Green, and Augustin) looks good.

The draft has been a bit of a roller coaster for me. I hated the Plumlee pick and loved the Orlando Johnson pick, and it's been topsy turvy in the Summer League, as Plumlee has been great and Johnson can't hit the board side of a barn. I don't know what to think. Plumlee does look like an NBA player if the coaching can keep working on toughening him up. He has always had a softness about him that I disliked, but he has looked more aggressive (I assume the coaches are stressing that) in the Summer League. He could be a better pro than college player if he listens to his coaches.