Thread: general amnesty question

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default general amnesty question

Sorry if this has already been covered ad nauseum in a previous post....

If we were to bid on a multiyear player like Scola or Haywood, is the bid, the amount we would pay over the next 3 years?

Like Scola has 3 years remaining. Would we get him for 3 years at 4 mil per?

If so, we could pretty much guarantee our entire roster would stay intact the next 2 years? Besides likely DJ?

Wouldn't mind then seeing Hansbrough traded for a second rounder or young PG to clear salary... Thanks to anyone with those answers...

Default Re: general amnesty question

yes, your bid must cover the duration of the contract, and the minimum price must be at least the per-year average of the unguaranteed portion of the contract.

In this case, the minimum bid for Scola is about 3.34 million. For players with 100% guaranteed contracts, there may also be a bidding min, I am not sure, maybe vet min?

Only teams under the cap the the end of the 48hr period when bidding is allowed can make a bid.

Your cap charge is your bid, if you win the auction. The original team pays the rest of his salary but avoids cap charges.

No auction bidder? He is a free agent. The original team pays all his salary but avoids cap charges. The new team pays him what they wish and it counts toward the cap.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 07-13-2012 at 11:45 AM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    yes, your bid must cover the duration of the contract, and the minimum price must be at least the per-year average of the unguaranteed portion of the contract.

In this case, the minimum bid for Scola is about 3.34 million. For players with 100% guaranteed contracts, there may also be a bidding min, I am not sure, maybe vet min?

Only teams under the cap the the end of the 48hr period when bidding is allowed can make a bid.

Your cap charge is your bid, if you win the auction. The original team pays the rest of his salary but avoids cap charges.

No auction bidder? He is a free agent. The original team pays all his salary but avoids cap charges. The new team pays him what they wish and it counts toward the cap.
    Thanks slick... with George Hill and big Roy signing later today, looks like we are Done...

Quote Originally Posted by *astrisk* View Post
    Thanks slick... with George Hill and big Roy signing later today, looks like we are Done...
    Yes

My fear is that nobody bids on guys like Haywood or Darko and they go to the Heat. Doesn't sound like much, but it sure beats Eddie Curry and Dexter Tubagoo Pittman
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Yes

My fear is that nobody bids on guys like Haywood or Darko and they go to the Heat. Doesn't sound like much, but it sure beats Eddie Curry and Dexter Tubagoo Pittman
    I was thinking about that yesterday... I would say 90% chance Haywood goes to heat for minimum... He is the missing piece to outright dominance this upcoming season... Guaranteed starter