Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 91

Thread: Insider: "Pacers-Mavs Deal: Who won?" (need posted plz)

  1. #51
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,953

    Default Re: Insider: "Pacers-Mavs Deal: Who won?" (need posted plz)

    Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he obviously meant "tax line" judging by the rest of the post.
    Well, still. We've been over the tax line before.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Insider: "Pacers-Mavs Deal: Who won?" (need posted plz)

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK, OK, don't do it like the mavs. Do it like this. Be as good as you can for as long as you can. Tinker each year and we might come up with just the right mixture. But being as good as you can be every year is huge, if the Pacers are good every year 50-58 wins it is much easier to acquire a player who just might push us over-the-top

    My approach is the same. If the Mavs part is tripping you up, OK don't do it like the mavs.
    OK so now I want to hear your master plan in how to get a guy like Dirk

  3. #53
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Insider: "Pacers-Mavs Deal: Who won?" (need posted plz)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1 year, really. We won't be under the cap this season.
    btw, how come? i assumed Green and Augustin were cap signings, as well as West last year.

  4. #54
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,953

    Default Re: Insider: "Pacers-Mavs Deal: Who won?" (need posted plz)

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK so now I want to hear your master plan in how to get a guy like Dirk
    I picture something like Rocky, but instead of Philly its Germany, and instead of Rocky's old guy trainer, its Dirk's old guy trainer, working in a meat processing facility, shooting basketballs into cows.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:


  6. #55
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,786

    Default Re: Insider: "Pacers-Mavs Deal: Who won?" (need posted plz)

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK so now I want to hear your master plan in how to get a guy like Dirk
    did I ever say get a player like Dirk. if we keep our nucleus together we can be a 50 plus win team every year we need to do that and tinker each year - that is all i am saying. Take the mavs out of the discussion.

    OK, I am getting a headache

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  8. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Insider: "Pacers-Mavs Deal: Who won?" (need posted plz)

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    did I ever say get a player like Dirk. if we keep our nucleus together we can be a 50 plus win team every year we need to do that and tinker each year - that is all i am saying. Take the mavs out of the discussion.

    OK, I am getting a headache
    I'm just messing with you, either way to your point I think I disagree, we don't have a finisher or alpha dog, some teams do well with tinkering because they already have a great player on their team, the Pacers don't have that, at the end of the day we are going to need somebody that could take it to Lebron, Dwade, Durant, Westbrook, Kobe, Pierce, KG, etc.

  9. #57
    Member Jon Theodore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Insider: "Pacers-Mavs Deal: Who won?" (need posted plz)

    Seems Dallas and Indy have done a lot of trading over the years. I know some trades in the past that seemed like were way in our favor, then we turn around and do one that seems to be in their favor. What is it about the Mavs and Pacers always doing trades?
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

  10. #58
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,944

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Insider: "Pacers-Mavs Deal: Who won?" (need posted plz)

    I can only think of the Cro-Quis trade off the top of my head, what are the other ones?

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  11. #59
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,953

    Default Re: Insider: "Pacers-Mavs Deal: Who won?" (need posted plz)

    I like trading with the raptors and the blazers personally.

  12. #60
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,403

    Default Re: Insider: "Pacers-Mavs Deal: Who won?" (need posted plz)

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can only think of the Cro-Quis trade off the top of my head, what are the other ones?
    We got Eddie Jones (and second rounders) for Shawne Williams. Win!

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:


  14. #61
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,953

    Default Re: Insider: "Pacers-Mavs Deal: Who won?" (need posted plz)

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We got Eddie Jones (and second rounders) for Shawne Williams. Win!
    Who did the second rounders become?

  15. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Insider: "Pacers-Mavs Deal: Who won?" (need posted plz)

    Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who did the second rounders become?
    Magnum Rolle I think or Price.

  16. #63
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Insider: "Pacers-Mavs Deal: Who won?" (need posted plz)

    Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    btw, how come? i assumed Green and Augustin were cap signings, as well as West last year.
    Hill and Roy's new contracts. After all of this shakes out today, we'll have a payroll of about 63/64m. The salary cap is 58.044m.

  17. #64

    Default Re: Insider: "Pacers-Mavs Deal: Who won?" (need posted plz)

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Magnum Rolle I think or Price.
    Both. Well, we used the second Dallas pick on Ryan Reid and traded that for Magnum Rolle.

  18. #65

    Default Re: Insider: "Pacers-Mavs Deal: Who won?" (need posted plz)

    Quote Originally Posted by xtacy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i'm trying my best not to think about this trade because the more i think/read the more pissed i become.
    or think of it as adding size. Pacers have good size at the starting PG, SG, SF and C positions. last year, they were undersized everywhere else. These trades add size at the backup C and backup SF. They have some chance to defend the rim when Roy has to sit down.

  19. #66
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,645

    Default Re: Insider: "Pacers-Mavs Deal: Who won?" (need posted plz)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hill and Roy's new contracts. After all of this shakes out today, we'll have a payroll of about 63/64m. The salary cap is 58.044m.
    So pretty much we are done then correct? I mean other than a trade.

    We can't sign any more free agents & this officially puts us out of the Brand hunt? Or am I wrong there?


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  20. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Insider: "Pacers-Mavs Deal: Who won?" (need posted plz)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you being this difficult on purpose, or do you really not understand what UB is trying to say? Good grief.
    It was playing with UB :

  21. #68
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,583

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Insider: "Pacers-Mavs Deal: Who won?" (need posted plz)

    I'm mixed on our moves this off-season. If you look at it from the perspective of upgrading our bench, you might say that was achieved, although we need to see it actually happen.

    If you look at value per transaction, however..... been poor. The only reason their heads are above water barely was bringing in Augustin, but before that they took a big dive. I still think they botched the Plumlee acquisition. We could have received another asset and moved back and still got him, I firmly believe that. He wasn't 1st-round material. I don't see the guy playing much at all this year.

    Collison was given away. I don't get that. Jones?

    Ultimately, all this stepping backwards two steps to take two steps forward puts us generally where we were before... as much as some on here want to say we've "drastically improved our bench". We haven't. We upgraded it marginally with some guys who've generally under-achieved in their careers.

    The big key is our starting unit. That's where we needed the help to get over the hump in the playoffs. Having a deep bench means very little in the playoffs when you condense those rotations, you lean way more on your starters, and our starters couldn't cut it against essentially two guys (LJB and Wade). It was our starting unit that needed beefed. They are a fantastic regular-season starting unit, they will win you a lot of regular season games... but in the playoffs when the stars shine and the rotations shrink, defenses ramp up and you need guys who can get shots.... you lean more and more on your best guys, and our best guys don't match up against "their" best guys.

    So all this beefing up of our bench is... what. We'll win a buncha regular season games and then get ousted again by the Miami's of the world.

    As always I'll sit and wait and see hwo it plays it.... but for the first time in awhile I'm actually sorta confused by the moves this off-season. I don't feel like we maximized our assets and upgraded the roster the way we *could* have.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 07-13-2012 at 12:46 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:


  23. #69
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,953

    Default Re: Insider: "Pacers-Mavs Deal: Who won?" (need posted plz)

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Magnum Rolle I think or Price.
    Looks like the first one became AJ, and the second became Ryan Reid, who was traded with cash for Rolle.

  24. #70
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Insider: "Pacers-Mavs Deal: Who won?" (need posted plz)

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So pretty much we are done then correct? I mean other than a trade.

    We can't sign any more free agents & this officially puts us out of the Brand hunt? Or am I wrong there?
    We can sign minimum salary guys. I'm not as sure on the exceptions with this new CBA as I was the last. We might have some small exception, but that may not be true because we just went over the cap. But next year I think we'll have a 5m MLE.

    We can of course trade.

    We can't bid on amnesty guys while over the cap.

  25. #71
    Member Jon Theodore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Insider: "Pacers-Mavs Deal: Who won?" (need posted plz)

    Dampier and Detlef Schrempf were both involved in Pacers/Mavs deals. Didn't we also get Darrell Armstrong from the Mavs, or trade him to them...can't remember that one. Herb Williams was traded to the Mavs also off the top of my head (I think).
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

  26. #72
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,953

    Default Re: Insider: "Pacers-Mavs Deal: Who won?" (need posted plz)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We can sign minimum salary guys. I'm not as sure on the exceptions with this new CBA as I was the last. We might have some small exception, but that may not be true because we just went over the cap. But next year I think we'll have a 5m MLE.

    We can of course trade.

    We can't bid on amnesty guys while over the cap.
    I think we'll have the "room exception" available for $2.5M.

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:


  28. #73

    Default Re: Insider: "Pacers-Mavs Deal: Who won?" (need posted plz)

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    . . . At no point in time during the playoffs did I ever think to myself, man if only we had a better backup center we could take these guys. . .
    boy I did. Every time Roy sat down. Pacer had no way to protect the front of the rim. Plus DWest had to spend all that time trying to play C instead of PF. I don't know if the new guys are the answer to the bench, but the old guys, except for DC, weren't.

  29. #74

    Default Re: Insider: "Pacers-Mavs Deal: Who won?" (need posted plz)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From what Pritchard said on Twitter and thanking DC and Dahntay for their service here, I believe this to be the case. Why not move DC to a place where he can start and earn his next contract? He probably wasn't going to get that opportunity here next year.
    This kind of approach has to make Indiana look better to potential FA's down the road.
    This was a good trade for both teams. Both will be better as a result. Why is that such a bad thing? Then Hollinger would not have anything to write about.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to troyc11a For This Useful Post:


  31. #75
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Insider: "Pacers-Mavs Deal: Who won?" (need posted plz)

    Yeah, I felt the bench hurt us a lot more than the starters did against Miami.

Similar Threads

  1. What is the Pacers ceiling? "ESPN Insider"
    By indyblue47 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-03-2012, 11:48 AM
  2. Replies: 47
    Last Post: 01-24-2012, 06:27 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-13-2010, 03:06 AM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-12-2008, 07:07 PM
  5. Insider request "Pacers Waiting"
    By Los Angeles in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-03-2006, 02:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •