Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So how much cap space do we have left?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: So how much cap space do we have left?

Barbosa's cap hold was ~$8 million, so no, we do not still have his Bird Rights.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm still getting used to this new CBA. Are we 100% sure we have some smaller version of the MLE right now? Is it 2.5, 2.75, or 3m?
    Yes we should have the (new) room exception. It's actually worth $2.575m this season.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

ROOM MID-LEVEL EXCEPTION -- This exception is available only to teams that drop far enough below the cap to use cap room, and lose their Bi-Annual, Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level and Taxpayer Mid-Level exceptions (see question number 26). This exception cannot be used if the team has already used the Bi-Annual, Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level or Taxpayer Mid-Level exceptions. This exception becomes available once the team salary drops far enough that the team loses its other exceptions, and expires following the last day of the regular season.

This exception allows a team to sign any free agent, starting at up to the following amounts:

Season First-year salary
    2011-12 $2.500 million
    2012-13 $2.575 million

This exception may be split and given to multiple players. It may be used for contracts up to two years in length, with raises up to 4.5% of the salary in the first year of the contract. Signing a player to a multi-year contract does not affect a team's ability to use this exception every year -- for example, a team can use this exception to sign a player to a two-year contract, and use it again the following year to sign another player. Also see question number 26 for more information on the availability and use of this exception.

Once a team has used this exception, it can no longer use the Bi-Annual, Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level or Taxpayer Mid-Level exception.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Also, the Pacers only have 12 players under contract because Orlando Johnson hasn't been signed yet. I'm not saying he won't be signed but as of right now he isn't under contract.

Baring a trade, I think the Pacers are done with Free Agency.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Can't have both cap space and full MLE in the same season. Or to be more precise technically, the MLE counts against the cap and we would have to waive it in order to use our cap space to sign players.

See: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q26
    Thanks for the link. It is a good read.

We don't have the full MLE this year but we do have the Mini MLE/ Room MLE of 2.5mil. We are over the cap this year though. As long as we stay below the tax threshold we will have the full MLE next season.

My guess is if we can get Barbosa to agree to the MMLE then that would be the best option we have left of adding a bench scorer.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    We have absolutely 0 cap space left?

Ouch.

Starting to think Augustin might have to start then.

Vogel likes to bring in the entire bench. I don't even want to think about Augustin, Stephenson, Green, Hansbrough and Mahinimi trying to score if they're all on the floor at once.

I'm assuming Vogel won't be bringing in the entire bench anymore if we don't have any space to sign another shooter/scorer to come off the bench.
    All those guys like to do is score, well atleast the first 4, lol Defense will be interesting though.
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    14 players? I'm counting 13:

Hibbert/Mahinmi/Plumlee
    West/Hansbrough/Pendergraph
    Granger/Green
    George/Johnson
    Hill/Augustin/Stephenson

I'm pretty sure we must have renounced Barbosa's Bird rights already. There's no other way we could have fit the Augustin and Green signings otherwise. (Mahinmi was a S&T that didn't require cap space).

As mentioned above, no MLE because we already used cap space to sign Augustin and Green. But we still have the $2.5m room exception to spend if the FO is willing.
    +Barbosa, apparently. (we didn't use his Bird rights, obviously)

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    All those guys like to do is score, well atleast the first 4, lol Defense will be interesting though.
    Liking to score and being good at scoring are two different things :P

I just can't look past Augustin's 37.6%, Stephenson's 37.6% and Hansbrough's 40.5% last season. Again, this is assuming Vogel subs in all 5 bench players like he has in the past. I doubt he'll be doing that anymore though or at least I hope not. Even Amundson shot 43.0% last season so that goes to show how bad the offense could be if we've got 3 guys on the floor shooting 40% or less. They can score... it'll just take more attempts than most. Again, jmo.