Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 129

Thread: Can we win a Title?

  1. #76
    Member a5g9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Missouri
    Age
    23
    Posts
    7

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    I think a title is a stretch for our roster UNLESS,

    George Hill can dish out like 8 assists per, Roy, Paul and Danny all average around 20 points per and Vogel allows Lance Stephenson to UNLEASH! (I'm a big First Take fan!)

  2. #77
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    I think people are confusing 'can we' with 'should we expect to'.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  4. #78
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,808
    Mood

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    I think Pacers have as good a chance as any team does. At this point it's all about chemistry, health and hitting your shots.
    .

    Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:


  6. #79
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,233

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Needs more green.

    LOTS more green.

    Quote Originally Posted by AugustinGrangerHill View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We have signed D.J. Augustin and Gerald Green and traded for Ian Mahinmi who IMO have all strengthened our bench from last year.
    1. George Hill/DJ Augustin
    2. Paul George/Lance Stephenson
    3. Danny Granger/Gerald Green
    4. David West/Tyler Hansbrough
    5. Roy Hibbert/Ian Mahinmi

    In your opinion can this line up win a title?

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:


  8. #80
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,008

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you are a team that relies only on 2 or 3 guys you need that, but we aren't playing by that model.
    I'm fine with the team concept but we still need someone that can get us baskets when we need them... or get inside with confidence and purpose and get to the line.

    Maybe one of our guys can grow into that but that is yet to be seen.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  10. #81

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Are the Pacers the favorite? . . . no

    Can they win? . . . yes

    Just like last year, the thing that will determine the success of the Pacers is the Young Guys. Danny will be Danny. DWest will be DWest. Those guys are good players that will be who they are. Some tweaks to their games, subtle improvements, but basically they are a finished product. a pretty good product.

    The guys that matter are Paul George, Lance Stephenson, George Hill and Roy Hibbert. They are the guys with room to improve. For the Pacers to be a championship team, they are the guys that have to become the better players the Pacers need.

  11. #82

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    If the Pacers were to somehow win the championship it would be surprising but not insane. Pacers don't have a star player and they'll never win one without a star. The best bet is for Paul George to become a star.

    Also I think some teams got better but no Eastern Conference teams who weren't better than the Pacers are better than the Pacers now.

  12. #83

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, but this is the best approach

    The biggest problem wasn't and isn't that our bench isn't good enough, but it is that our best players 1 through 3 are not good enough.

    But our bench needed an upgrade and that is much easier to do than to acquire players better than West, Roy and Granger. Only way IMO we could have acquired a player better than our best three is to take a huge chance on a player hoping they might turn out to be a better player than any of those three guys. Williams or Howard weren't coming here and neither was Nash. So we would have had to gamble, trade one of our best players for a potential player.

    That is usually a bad strategy. I think this is the correct approach, improve where we can, grow as a team, hope that Paul George becomes our best player and that chemistry and stability pull us through.

    This is not unlike the Pacers from 1994 - 2000. The team from 2002 - 2005 tried the other approach, gamble on some questionable guys and most of you didn't appreciate that approach.

    But overall no, we won't beat the Heat in 2013 if both teams are as they are now. But I'd love to see us in the ECF with the Heat next late May to have that chance.

    Pacers need to take the Dallas Mavs approach. Be as good as you can for as long as you can. Tinker each year and we might come up with just the right mixture and win it all like the Mavs did in 2011. But being as good as you can be every year is huge, if the Pacers are good every year 50-58 wins it is much easier to acquire a player who just might push us over-the-top like Tyson Chandler did for the Mavs
    Many, many years ago I would have agreed with you - put yourself in position to be a very good team and wait for some breaks. But after watching and realizing how the best players dominate in the NBA, I no longer believe it is a realistic avenue for a title if you don't have a top 10 player. That is were I think your Dallas Mavericks comparison fails. Dirk is a much better player than any the NBA Pacers have ever had - including Reggie. And especially better than anything on the current roster. Until the Pacers rectify that, they are not true contenders IMO. That is why I now believe in the tank. IMO it is nearly the only chance to acquire that top level talent for a small market, non destination NBA city.
    Last edited by rm1369; 07-13-2012 at 06:43 PM.

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:


  14. #84
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,292

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also I think some teams got better but no Eastern Conference teams who weren't better than the Pacers are better than the Pacers now.
    Brooklyn. Easily.

    (I'm assuming you already thought Boston was better.)
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  16. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Quote Originally Posted by WhoLovesYaBaby? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can tell you this:

    With every loss next year, half of this board will be calling for blowing up the team.
    How many will be calling for Vogel's head??

  17. #86
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,604

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    With a lot of luck. A LOT of luck. Who knows what happens over the next few years though.

  18. #87

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brooklyn. Easily.

    (I'm assuming you already thought Boston was better.)
    They had Brook Lopez and had Deron Williams. Joe Johnson never helped Atlanta win jack. They might not get back Humphries. No Dwight. I don't see where they improved that much, frankly. A new logo and a new arena don't mean wins.

    Boston lost Ray Allen. KG and PP are another year older. The logical replacement for RA was Avery Bradley and he may be out to January. Brandon Bass may be gone, right? Green returns with a bad heart. Two rookies will play like rookies. Jason Terry may help though. I like him in an uptempo setting, which Boston doesn't play. I don't think Boston passed us either.

    Does Chicago without Rose scare anybody? They are also losing some key bench players.

    The Pacers are only looking up at the Heat in the East.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 07-13-2012 at 05:08 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  19. #88
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,517

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Hahaha Brooklyn really?
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

    Read it and weep:

    When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

  20. #89
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,292

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They had Brook Lopez and had Deron Williams. Joe Johnson never helped Atlanta win jack. They might not get back Humphries. No Dwight. I don't see where they improved that much, frankly.
    Brook Lopez was hurt all year last year. Joe Johnson is better than anybody on our roster. They've got Gerald Wallace who is no slouch. Deron Williams is one of the 2 best point guards in the NBA. I've got to think Kris Humphries accepts the offer they gave him but it really doesn't matter. They are better than the Pacers. By a considerable margin.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    lost Ray Allen. KG and PP are another year older. The logical replacement for RA was Avery Bradley and he may be out to January. Brandon Bass may be gone, right? Green returns with a bad heart. Two rookies will play like rookies. Jason Terry may help though. I like him in an uptempo setting, which Boston doesn't play. I don't think Boston passed us either.
    Boston doesn't have to pass us. They were already better than us. And they will be better this year than they were last year. Saying Jason Terry may help is an understatement. At this stage of their careers, he's a better player than Ray Allen.

    Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hahaha Brooklyn really?
    Without question.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  22. #90
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,852
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Brooklyn has arguably the best back court in the NBA. good luck to anyone that tries to guard both Williams and Johnson. Plus they have an above average SF and an above average C arguably top 5-7. With a nice PF in Hump they really dont have a weakness on the starting lineup and will be really hard to guard. Plus the bench isnt terrible Reggie Evans Marshon Brooks and the guy they gave the MMLE(I am guessing he can play never watched him)

    they are really solid from 1-9 (possibly more I like Tyshawn Taylor and Shengelia but they are young and I wont include them)

    and have 2 or 3 guys who can take over a game and they have defenders and that wins in the playoffs.


    Saying they aren't better than us is really a head scratcher IMO

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  24. #91

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Brooklyn is a good team but they are NOT better than Indiana. Deron Williams is better than anyone on the Pacers roster, but Joe Johnson? David and Danny are both very close if not just as good as Joe Johnson, also Gerald Wallace is no slouch but neither is Paul George, George Hill, or Roy Hibbert. Roy is a better Center than Brook Lopez, Lopez might be a little better offensively but defensively it is Hibbert by a long shot. You also forgot to mention that Brooklyn has almost no bench to speak of. While Indiana can bring Gerald Green, D.J. Augustin, and Ian Mahinmi, who have all proven to be capable back ups. So Brooklyn might have 1 maybe (big maybe) 2 better players but Indiana is MUCH deeper than Brooklyn.

  25. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hahaha Brooklyn really?
    Yes, really......... They got a whole lot better. We added bench strength.....

  26. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They had Brook Lopez and had Deron Williams. Joe Johnson never helped Atlanta win jack. They might not get back Humphries. No Dwight. I don't see where they improved that much, frankly. A new logo and a new arena don't mean wins.

    Boston lost Ray Allen. KG and PP are another year older. The logical replacement for RA was Avery Bradley and he may be out to January. Brandon Bass may be gone, right? Green returns with a bad heart. Two rookies will play like rookies. Jason Terry may help though. I like him in an uptempo setting, which Boston doesn't play. I don't think Boston passed us either.

    Does Chicago without Rose scare anybody? They are also losing some key bench players.

    The Pacers are only looking up at the Heat in the East.

    Chicago without Rose is still probably better than the Pacers. The Pacers, right now are behind Miami, Boston, Brooklyn, Chicago and possibly Philly. Certainly if Philly makes a major move.....

  27. #94

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    The Nets go from a Lotto team to #2 in the east by adding Joe Johnson?

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Chicago without Rose is still probably better than the Pacers. The Pacers, right now are behind Miami, Boston, Brooklyn, Chicago and possibly Philly. Certainly if Philly makes a major move.....
    Have people forgotten what this team did last year? Or are they just so keen on hating Walsh that they have to assume hes made the team horrible?
    Last edited by Mad-Mad-Mario; 07-13-2012 at 05:57 PM.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:


  29. #95
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,292

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Nets go from a Lotto team to #2 in the east by adding Joe Johnson?
    And Gerald Wallace and Brook Lopez. Yes.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  31. #96
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,610

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Chicago without Rose is still probably better than the Pacers. The Pacers, right now are behind Miami, Boston, Brooklyn, Chicago and possibly Philly. Certainly if Philly makes a major move.....
    I disagree about Philly & I'm not certain about Boston yet but everything else I think I agree with. If people think Chicago is going to slide down to a sub .500% team they are in for a rude awakening. Thibs is way to good of a coach for that.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  33. #97

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And Gerald Wallace and Brook Lopez. Yes.
    Didn't they have Brook lopez already

  34. #98
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,292

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Didn't they have Brook lopez already
    For 5 games.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  35. #99

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Oh yeah. Still think you are overrating them. They are a team that hasn't proven they can play and win together. Our starting unit was on pace for 50+ wins in a regular season last year. And looks to only get better this year.

  36. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree about Philly & I'm not certain about Boston yet but everything else I think I agree with. If people think Chicago is going to slide down to a sub .500% team they are in for a rude awakening. Thibs is way to good of a coach for that.
    Philly played Boston very tough in the playoffs this year. Collins is a good coach. They will keep improving....

Similar Threads

  1. Would Pacers Have Won Title?
    By presto123 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 01-28-2011, 06:19 AM
  2. Thread title
    By sweabs in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 07-13-2010, 03:34 PM
  3. Can we win a title without paying for one?
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-18-2006, 09:47 AM
  4. Some of you would rather not win a Title than have Ron...
    By ARTESTMVP in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-11-2004, 05:50 PM
  5. Most likely to win the title?
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 10:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •