Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 129

Thread: Can we win a Title?

  1. #26
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Sure. Definite underdogs, but yes.

  2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  3. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,079

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Quote Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All I can say is WOW!
    Would you take Hamilton over Granger or Ben over Hibbert? Prince and George are a push, and I can see an argument for Wallace over West, but it isn't a huge difference if any at all.

  4. #28
    B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Basketball heartland
    Posts
    1,951

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Get Scola or Brand then it is definitely possible.

  5. #29
    The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Carmel, IN/Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    441

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    If...

    A. all our players play to their potential
    B. DWade remember's he likes to be injuries, Bosh never fully recoveres, and LeBron pulls a "IM THE ONLY GOOD PLAYER SO IM GONNA SUCK"
    C. Rose never fully recovers
    D. Kobe and Nash don't mix well

    Then. And this is only a slight stretch.


    Carmel HS Class of 2011

  6. #30

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    I'll expand on it later, but it's all on Paul George. If he becomes the TMac level player we all know he is physically capable of becoming, then yes. The team is gearing up for him to be the centerpiece and a take that leap toward stardom. If he's a mental/emotional midget we'll be a first or 2nd round exit every year.

  7. #31

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    No! We have also fallen behind others in the East. I cannot believe that we can stand pat and think we can have a repeat of last season. The luck we had last season cannot be duplicated (Howard less Orlando, a Chicago team with no plan if Rose got hurt, Horford out for Alt and Bosh being hurt). Philly, Alt. (addition of Williams and subtraction of Marvin and Joe), Nets, Chicago (drafting Teague adding Hinrich) Boston and New York are all better then the Pacers. Also Toronto, Washington and the Bucks all have made major moves to improve and should fight for the playoffs. I am not sure it is a given that we make the playoffs. I know that Darren is being dumped on by the local media but he started most of the season and we won a lot of games. Also he was playing on a team that early in the season was terrible at finishing off plays. I also hear that he lead breaks and shot a lot but as I remember guys were not running with him to help. I am not sold that Hill is a starting point guard and we signed a backup with a losing track record to back him up. We have taken a real step back this offseason that will be like the Murphy and Mike Dunleavy years. Roy will hurt us at some point during this next contract because he is way over paid and 40 million for Hill is just mind blowing. This is a borderline playoff team and we will continue to see that for years to come. I hope you are happy with that because that is all we are ever going to be. We have no upside!

  8. #32
    future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    10,629

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll expand on it later, but it's all on Paul George. If he becomes the TMac level player we all know he is physically capable of becoming, then yes. The team is gearing up for him to be the centerpiece and a take that leap toward stardom. If he's a mental/emotional midget we'll be a first or 2nd round exit every year.
    Pretty extreme boundaries there.

    Be Tracy McGrady or you're a mental midget.

  9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  10. #33

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    I did say I'd expand on it later. The in betweens would result in an occasional variation in the depth of the playoff run (ie maybe get to the ECF).

  11. #34
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    16,991

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Our goal should be to snatch the 2nd seed and advance to the ECF.

    If we do this then I may be able to dream about a title

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


  13. #35
    Member BoomBaby31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles (Marina del Rey)
    Posts
    1,958

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    I think we will be good, as good as last year. Maybe, Just maybe, get that second over all record. The only way we have a chance is signing Scola or PG REALLY comes out of his shell like everyone thinks he will. If PG turns into -say- a prime Tracy McGrady. We have a shot.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to BoomBaby31 For This Useful Post:


  15. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think we will be good, as good as last year. Maybe, Just maybe, get that second over all record. The only way we have a chance is signing Scola or PG REALLY comes out of his shell like everyone thinks he will. If PG turns into -say- a prime Tracy McGrady. We have a shot.
    So no?

  16. #37

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Quote Originally Posted by will567 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No! We have also fallen behind others in the East. I cannot believe that we can stand pat and think we can have a repeat of last season. The luck we had last season cannot be duplicated (Howard less Orlando, a Chicago team with no plan if Rose got hurt, Horford out for Alt and Bosh being hurt). Philly, Alt. (addition of Williams and subtraction of Marvin and Joe), Nets, Chicago (drafting Teague adding Hinrich) Boston and New York are all better then the Pacers. Also Toronto, Washington and the Bucks all have made major moves to improve and should fight for the playoffs. I am not sure it is a given that we make the playoffs. I know that Darren is being dumped on by the local media but he started most of the season and we won a lot of games. Also he was playing on a team that early in the season was terrible at finishing off plays. I also hear that he lead breaks and shot a lot but as I remember guys were not running with him to help. I am not sold that Hill is a starting point guard and we signed a backup with a losing track record to back him up. We have taken a real step back this offseason that will be like the Murphy and Mike Dunleavy years. Roy will hurt us at some point during this next contract because he is way over paid and 40 million for Hill is just mind blowing. This is a borderline playoff team and we will continue to see that for years to come. I hope you are happy with that because that is all we are ever going to be. We have no upside!

    You feel that good about the Pacers!

  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:


  18. #38
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Greenfield, IN
    Posts
    3,221
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Early to jump the gun? I think every team can, some just more likely than others.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Attending the University of Louisville in August!
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  19. #39

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Not with the roster as it stands "right now".

  20. #40

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Quote Originally Posted by AugustinGrangerHill View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We have signed D.J. Augustin and Gerald Green and traded for Ian Mahinmi who IMO have all strengthened our bench from last year.
    1. George Hill/DJ Augustin
    2. Paul George/Lance Stephenson
    3. Danny Granger/Gerald Green
    4. David West/Tyler Hansbrough
    5. Roy Hibbert/Ian Mahinmi

    In your opinion can this line up win a title?

    In a vacuum, yes. In the 2013 NBA season, no.

    Add Brand or Scola, closer, but no.

  21. #41
    Member BornReady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    2,593

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    No, but we certainly improved and we're getting closer. so I'm not complaining.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:


  23. #42

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    We need a star player who wills the team to win by his play and force of personality. The Kobes, James,Wades, Jordans and the like just dominate physically and mentally. We just don't have that player who is so dominant.

    Sometimes the coach has that kind of personality like Popovich, jackson, or Riley.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:


  25. #43

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Others might disagree with me but I thought then and I still believe it now that the Pacers should have won the championship in 2004 and 2005. At the very least the talent was there.

    03-04:
    PG: Jamaal Tinsley/Anthony Johnson/Kenny Anderson
    SG: Reggie Miller/Fred Jones
    SF: Ron Artest/Jonathan Bender
    PF: Jermaine O'Neal/Al Harrington/Austin Croshere
    C: Jeff Foster/Scot Pollard

    04-05:
    PG: Jamaal Tinsley/Anthony Johnson/Eddie Gill
    SG: Reggie Miller/Stephen/Jackson/Fred Jones
    SF: Ron Artest/Jonathan Bender/James Jones/Michael Curry
    PF: Jermaine O'Neal/Austin Croshere
    C: Jeff Foster/Scot Pollard/David Harrison/Dale Davis

    I know I am leaving other guys off from the 04-05 squad but they don't really matter.

    My first thought after seeing these rosters is that these were DEEP teams. The Pacers from this past year were known as deep but I don't think they compare to these two teams.

    Do you believe that the team the Pacers currently has is on par, talent-wise, with the teams in 03-04/04-05? I think this Pacers team has the potential to be similar. Of course it depends on guys improving but I don't think it depends on say Paul George becoming the Orlando Magic version of Tracy McGrady. The players do need to improve. The other factors in this will be the fit. The players on those two Pacers teams complemented each other well. Sure there were some weaknesses but overall they played well together. I think that last season was a season for this current Pacers team to find there way so to speak...to really develop some chemistry that will pay off this season.

    Do I think this current Pacer team can win a championship? Yes, I do. As of right now would I predict them to? No. Keep this in mind though. That Pacer squad in 03-04 that won a league best 61 games (and if I remember correctly didn't lose more than once before they won again) just lost Brad Miller who was an all-star in 2003. Who thought the Pacers would go on to win 61 games after that? I wouldn't count out this Pacers squad to surprise some people this year either.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Young For This Useful Post:


  27. #44

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would you take Hamilton over Granger or Ben over Hibbert? Prince and George are a push, and I can see an argument for Wallace over West, but it isn't a huge difference if any at all.
    I look at them against their positional counterparts. Granger is the only one, IMO, that could have arguably started over his Detroit counterpart. Yes, Ben was a better player than Hibbert. Considering both sides of the ball, Rasheed is better than West. You already conceded Billups as being better than Hill. That leaves Granger, Rip, Prince, and George. IMO, until he proves otherwise, George is the 4th best player in that group. Does he have the potential to be better? Yes - he could be the best in the group. He'd have to learn to dribble and continue to grow for that to be the case.

  28. #45

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    No, this team really needed to swing for the fences. That means offering a max contract to Gordon, making a real push for Nash, and keeping much of their core. I know it's difficult and improbable but that is the only way I see this team as a real title contender.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to eldubious For This Useful Post:


  30. #46
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    5,667

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Quote Originally Posted by eldubious View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, this team really needed to swing for the fences. That means offering a max contract to Gordon
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  32. #47
    You can call me Taz cinotimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,294

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Quote Originally Posted by Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Others might disagree with me but I thought then and I still believe it now that the Pacers should have won the championship in 2004 and 2005. At the very least the talent was there.

    03-04:
    PG: Jamaal Tinsley/Anthony Johnson/Kenny Anderson
    SG: Reggie Miller/Fred Jones
    SF: Ron Artest/Jonathan Bender
    PF: Jermaine O'Neal/Al Harrington/Austin Croshere
    C: Jeff Foster/Scot Pollard

    04-05:
    PG: Jamaal Tinsley/Anthony Johnson/Eddie Gill
    SG: Reggie Miller/Stephen/Jackson/Fred Jones
    SF: Ron Artest/Jonathan Bender/James Jones/Michael Curry
    PF: Jermaine O'Neal/Austin Croshere
    C: Jeff Foster/Scot Pollard/David Harrison/Dale Davis

    I know I am leaving other guys off from the 04-05 squad but they don't really matter.

    My first thought after seeing these rosters is that these were DEEP teams. The Pacers from this past year were known as deep but I don't think they compare to these two teams.

    Do you believe that the team the Pacers currently has is on par, talent-wise, with the teams in 03-04/04-05? I think this Pacers team has the potential to be similar. Of course it depends on guys improving but I don't think it depends on say Paul George becoming the Orlando Magic version of Tracy McGrady. The players do need to improve. The other factors in this will be the fit. The players on those two Pacers teams complemented each other well. Sure there were some weaknesses but overall they played well together. I think that last season was a season for this current Pacers team to find there way so to speak...to really develop some chemistry that will pay off this season.

    Do I think this current Pacer team can win a championship? Yes, I do. As of right now would I predict them to? No. Keep this in mind though. That Pacer squad in 03-04 that won a league best 61 games (and if I remember correctly didn't lose more than once before they won again) just lost Brad Miller who was an all-star in 2003. Who thought the Pacers would go on to win 61 games after that? I wouldn't count out this Pacers squad to surprise some people this year either.
    You really, really had to go and bring those teams up? Really?

  33. #48
    Member Marlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Italy
    Age
    27
    Posts
    885

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Right now, no. But we can win the Central, and work it out from there from a favorable position with home court for a couple series.

    If we get Scola, instead, I may start hoping for something better...

  34. #49
    Member *astrisk*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    483
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    The ceiling for this group if we stay healthy and the Miami Heat stay healthy is IMO the ECF... If the Heat lose 1 of the Big 3 (wade), we will have a shot at NBA Finals...

    However, if we can win an amnesty bid on a backup big (brand, scola), our depth can overcome the Heat... Reason being, they still have no answers at the 5 for Roy, and Bosh and Lebron can't hold down the frontcourt for 7 Games against a team with this much talent and depth at the 4 and 5... Just saying we've got a shot...

    Last season we were widely considered one of the deepest teams in the NBA even though, we all know our second team couldn't score vs Air... This second team, this year will have a punch to it and will clearly be a strength for this franchise!!!

  35. #50
    Member jeffg-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    3,263
    Mood

    Default Re: Can we win a Title?

    Maybe not this upcoming season, but if we can keep a majority of our young core intact I think we can compete with the big dogs with 2-3 years of playing together with good continuity. I think if we can get focused and get used to playing with each other we could be the team no one wants to face in the post season. If we are to be competitive on the level of Miami and other super teams our veteran leadership will need to establish to our young players on what it takes to be a true professional.

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Would Pacers Have Won Title?
    By presto123 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 01-28-2011, 06:19 AM
  2. Thread title
    By sweabs in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 07-13-2010, 03:34 PM
  3. Can we win a title without paying for one?
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-18-2006, 09:47 AM
  4. Some of you would rather not win a Title than have Ron...
    By ARTESTMVP in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-11-2004, 05:50 PM
  5. Most likely to win the title?
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 10:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •