Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can we win a Title?

Hybrid View

Default Can we win a Title?

We have signed D.J. Augustin and Gerald Green and traded for Ian Mahinmi who IMO have all strengthened our bench from last year.
    1. George Hill/DJ Augustin
    2. Paul George/Lance Stephenson
    3. Danny Granger/Gerald Green
    4. David West/Tyler Hansbrough
    5. Roy Hibbert/Ian Mahinmi

In your opinion can this line up win a title?

Default Re: Can we win a Title?

No.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

If Paul George and Roy Hibbert take it to the next level i believe we are close

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like our roster, I like our guys, but no.

I hate to say it, but the reality is you need an Alpha Dog to take it all.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like our roster, I like our guys, but no.

I hate to say it, but the reality is you need an Alpha Dog to take it all.
    This.

No, this team really needed to swing for the fences. That means offering a max contract to Gordon, making a real push for Nash, and keeping much of their core. I know it's difficult and improbable but that is the only way I see this team as a real title contender.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to eldubious For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by eldubious View Post
    No, this team really needed to swing for the fences. That means offering a max contract to Gordon
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by eldubious View Post
    No, this team really needed to swing for the fences. That means offering a max contract to Gordon, making a real push for Nash, and keeping much of their core. I know it's difficult and improbable but that is the only way I see this team as a real title contender.
    No frail f****** Hoosier losers on this team!!! Enough of Gordon already. I am sick of hearing it and I hope he never comes to the Pacers......

No! We have also fallen behind others in the East. I cannot believe that we can stand pat and think we can have a repeat of last season. The luck we had last season cannot be duplicated (Howard less Orlando, a Chicago team with no plan if Rose got hurt, Horford out for Alt and Bosh being hurt). Philly, Alt. (addition of Williams and subtraction of Marvin and Joe), Nets, Chicago (drafting Teague adding Hinrich) Boston and New York are all better then the Pacers. Also Toronto, Washington and the Bucks all have made major moves to improve and should fight for the playoffs. I am not sure it is a given that we make the playoffs. I know that Darren is being dumped on by the local media but he started most of the season and we won a lot of games. Also he was playing on a team that early in the season was terrible at finishing off plays. I also hear that he lead breaks and shot a lot but as I remember guys were not running with him to help. I am not sold that Hill is a starting point guard and we signed a backup with a losing track record to back him up. We have taken a real step back this offseason that will be like the Murphy and Mike Dunleavy years. Roy will hurt us at some point during this next contract because he is way over paid and 40 million for Hill is just mind blowing. This is a borderline playoff team and we will continue to see that for years to come. I hope you are happy with that because that is all we are ever going to be. We have no upside!

Quote Originally Posted by will567 View Post
    No! We have also fallen behind others in the East. I cannot believe that we can stand pat and think we can have a repeat of last season. The luck we had last season cannot be duplicated (Howard less Orlando, a Chicago team with no plan if Rose got hurt, Horford out for Alt and Bosh being hurt). Philly, Alt. (addition of Williams and subtraction of Marvin and Joe), Nets, Chicago (drafting Teague adding Hinrich) Boston and New York are all better then the Pacers. Also Toronto, Washington and the Bucks all have made major moves to improve and should fight for the playoffs. I am not sure it is a given that we make the playoffs. I know that Darren is being dumped on by the local media but he started most of the season and we won a lot of games. Also he was playing on a team that early in the season was terrible at finishing off plays. I also hear that he lead breaks and shot a lot but as I remember guys were not running with him to help. I am not sold that Hill is a starting point guard and we signed a backup with a losing track record to back him up. We have taken a real step back this offseason that will be like the Murphy and Mike Dunleavy years. Roy will hurt us at some point during this next contract because he is way over paid and 40 million for Hill is just mind blowing. This is a borderline playoff team and we will continue to see that for years to come. I hope you are happy with that because that is all we are ever going to be. We have no upside!

You feel that good about the Pacers!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Wow! You sure have a positive outlook.

I think we have a very small remote chance to win it all, but an enormous amount of things will have to go our way for that to happen, starting with George being more assertive and aggressive offensively, a good training camp for the whole team and everybody healthy in it and a good gameplan from the coach aka a good philosophy on how we are going to play, Augustin to mesh nicely into the team and our bench in general producing better during the playoffs and Vogel not subbing all of them in at the sametime like this past postseason against the Heat.

And maybe most importantly the team chemistry needs to be guarded, closely. IF our team wants to go somewhere our players will have to continue to be willing to work their tails off for each other, the coach, the front office and the fans.

I also believe their is also still a good possibility of players improving due to players reaching more of their potential, aswell as experience and maturity gained and getting a full training camp under their belt. I also like the vibe our team has. Very nice.

Even if not all of the above can be accomplished we should still be a playoff team, even with the other teams improving. This is a tough and talented team even if we don't have an "alpha dog".
    Last edited by Mourning; 07-13-2012 at 05:12 AM. Reason: dumb spelling error
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to QuickRelease For This Useful Post:

Nope

Sports Logo

Our best case is ECF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

RLeWorm

No. We need to trade for a STAR!

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Yes.

Haven't you seen lance in Summer League!?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Yes.

Haven't you seen lance in Summer League!?
    He is our savior. He will lead us to 31 titles
    Long time lurker. Fan since 98. Don't Trade Danny

25. The Following User Says Thank You to pacerjones20 For This Useful Post:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacerjones20 View Post
    He is our savior. He will lead us to 31 titles
    If only we'd stop setting him up to fail.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not even really close...should probably make the playoffs though.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

Not with the roster as it stands "right now".

Yes we can. I belive our team and our coach. But its highly doubtful now because we didnt played any game yet.

Last season when we lead 2-1 against Miami in series, I was thinking probable. But then I realize after how we let Heat beat us with same ****ing plays over and over game after game, I realize our team and especially coach was raw for that level. This year they ll be ready I hope.
    Last edited by granger; 07-12-2012 at 08:34 PM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to granger For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by AugustinGrangerHill View Post
    We have signed D.J. Augustin and Gerald Green and traded for Ian Mahinmi who IMO have all strengthened our bench from last year.
    1. George Hill/DJ Augustin
    2. Paul George/Lance Stephenson
    3. Danny Granger/Gerald Green
    4. David West/Tyler Hansbrough
    5. Roy Hibbert/Ian Mahinmi

In your opinion can this line up win a title?
    No. But with these changes we may be able to come close to last years record.....

Probably not, but I can't wait to scream my throat raw for this team!!

You never know what can happen if they get on a hot streak. It's not like we're the bottom feeders of the league.

No, not really that close IMO. Detroit is the only championship team that has had a roster that even remotely resembles the pacers roster as far as talent & star power. However, Detroit was better at at least 4 of the starting positions.