Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Scola gets the amnesty clause!!!!

Default Re: Scola gets the amnesty clause!!!!

I assume the Pacers will bid on Brand, find out by 5pm tomorrow, then sign Hill/Hibbert.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by blanket View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    THIS.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/amnesty-cl...la-prohibitive

Makes Brendan Haywood look appealing, I guess. Is Brand's contract fully guaranteed? If so, I guess a minimum bid for him is also $1.35 million.
    Well...that's weird. So one of the superfriends teams will probably get him for next to nothing.

You all are missing a very big point here. Scola has a guaranteed contract so in order to get him off of Amnesty you would have to bid AT LEAST portion of the guaranteed money. For Scola this would be a bit over $10 Million and you'd have to pay that for 3 years so this then becomes a 30 Million dollar contract.

Anyone bidding underneath is automatically rejected.

So do you still want Scola at 3 years 30 Mil? If so then line up. But we can't afford that which means if he does hit Amnesty dude is just a free Agent.
    I don't want to sound condescending, which means to talk down to you by the way

Obviously ur not a golfer 5_7_Clash's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    If Scola really gets amnestied, we have to get in on the bidding. Delay Hibbert and Hill's signings; they've waited this long, what's a couple more days?

Regarding trade instead of amnesty - if an under the cap team really was willing to take Scola's whole salary, then Houston would definitely choose to trade rather than amnesty. The fact that they're going the amnesty must mean they've found no takers.

Agree with ballism and vnzla81, getting Scola for free would be a huge bonus. This is exactly the kind of thing we've been saving cap space for.
    Help me out here: Didn't the league just rule that amnestied players retain their Bird rights? If we bid on him and win, would this have any affect on us signing Scola now or would it only come into play after the three years on his current deal are up?
    Last edited by 5_7_Clash; 07-12-2012 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A.B.Hollywood View Post
    You all are missing a very big point here. Scola has a guaranteed contract so in order to get him off of Amnesty you would have to bid AT LEAST portion of the guaranteed money. For Scola this would be a bit over $10 Million and you'd have to pay that for 3 years so this then becomes a 30 Million dollar contract.

Anyone bidding underneath is automatically rejected.

So do you still want Scola at 3 years 30 Mil? If so then line up. But we can't afford that which means if he does hit Amnesty dude is just a free Agent.
    No Idon't think that is correct.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Wow I didn't know that.

Well, if that's the case then chances are good that he'll clear waivers and be a free agent. Time to sell him on the charms of Indianapolis...

Banned

THIS.

Makes Brendan Haywood look appealing, I guess. Is Brand's contract fully guaranteed? If so, I guess a minimum bid for him is also $1.35 million.
    Damn it

Mood

David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt
    Asking around, not as much interest among uncapped teams for Scola bid as you'd think. Minimum bid is $3+ million in year one, $10M total.

Therefore a minimum amnesty claim for Scola would start at the non-guarantee portion of exactly $10,041,037. That amount needs to be paid over three years, so the lowest claim would be $3,347,012.

so why cant we just bid 3.3m ? What am I missing from that article that is making you guys not want to bid??

bid 5.5m

we bid and win

dont know why everyone is saying he isnt worth 3.3m
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 07-12-2012 at 09:41 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 5_7_Clash View Post
    Help me out here: Didn't the league just rule that amnestied players retain their Bird rights? Would this have any affect on us signing Scola now or would it only come into play after the three years on his current deal are up?
    No, that rule is for the next contract, not the current one. Example, let's say we win the bid on Brand, who has one year left. Normally it takes 3 years to get Bird rights, but we'll have him for only one, so next year we'd have no exceptions to re-sign him with. The new ruling says that we'll get to use Early Bird exception (i.e. up to full MLE) to keep him. But it doesn't affect the bidding process.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Therefore a minimum amnesty claim for Scola would start at the non-guarantee portion of exactly $10,041,037. That amount needs to be paid over three years, so the lowest claim would be $3,347,012.

Amnesty Claim on Scola May Be Prohibitive By Eric Pincus

Total claim of $10m is not so bad (not as bad as 3 years $30m anyway).

Does the $10m get to be spread out evenly over 3 years? Or does the $10m have to be in year 3 (unguaranteed year of Scola's deal)?

EDIT

Nvm, if David Aldridge is correct, then its ~$10m evenly spread over 3 years. Well worth it for Scola, I think.
    Last edited by wintermute; 07-12-2012 at 09:37 PM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Total claim of $10m is not so bad (not as bad as 3 years $30m anyway).

Does the $10m get to be spread out evenly over 3 years? Or does the $10m have to be in year 3 (unguaranteed year of Scola's deal)?
    No, it says the lowest claim amount is $3,347,012. I was assuming the winning bid would be at least that much anyway. So this is new info but I don't think it really changes anything. Just eliminates some low bidders who weren't going to get him anyway.

Banned

David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt
    As @EricPincus pointed out first, under rules, teams have to give Scola at least the full unguaranteed amount of last yr of his deal--$10M.

so in other words, Scola gets full 30 mil, instead of likely getting cut before year 3? Good for him.

PS. i don't see why it's prohibitive, he's easily worth more than 3/10.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    so in other words, Scola gets full 30 mil, instead of likely getting cut before year 3? Good for him.

PS. i don't see why it's prohibitive, he's easily worth more than 3/10.
    He is damn near worth his original contract and I could see a team giving him close to his contract. His game should age gracefully imo.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

yeah I don't see the big deal, I was reading it wrong and it seemed like the minimum bid was 10+ mil, not 3.3. I guess the only difference from usual is that there's a minimum at all, but whatever, Scola's winning bid would be over 3.3 anyway.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

‏@AlexKennedyNBA

As @EricPincus pointed out, the Rockets' official Twitter account just followed Dwight Howard, Jason Richardson, Glen Davis and Chris Duhon.

-just say'n...
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PacerGuy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    He is damn near worth his original contract and I could see a team giving him close to his contract. His game should age gracefully imo.
    I think we can deduce that this won't happen - if an under the cap team were willing to take Scola's whole salary, then the Rockets would have traded him rather than use amnesty.

But still, I think the winning bid for Scola would be in the $5-6m per year range, so this report that teams find the minimum bid to be prohibitive is puzzling.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Ok now I am officially confused. I am reading conflicting reports (and Aldridge is notoriously wrong) that this is either 10 million per, or 10 million total.

Dear God I hope I am wrong and it's 10 Million total.

Banned

Ok now I am officially confused. I am reading conflicting reports (and Aldridge is notoriously wrong) that this is either 10 million per, or 10 million total.

Dear God I hope I am wrong and it's 10 Million total.
    Yes 10 mil guaranteed that will make his salary 3.3 per year for the next 3 years, in other words we have a chance if we bid more than 3.3mil.

OK but in THE EXACT SAME ARTICLE that you all are linking saying thats its 10 over 3 this Pincus cap Guru dude also says this:

Therefore a minimum amnesty claim for Scola would start at the non-guarantee portion of exactly $10,041,037, per year.

Few teams have that kind of cap space. Would a $30 million investment in Scola the right move when he can just clear waivers and get an offer at a more economical rate?
    Why is he calling this a $30 Million investment when it would only be $10 Million?

Something doesn't add up.

Literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    We aren't getting Scola. The starting bid is a Min. of 10 mil due to an issue in amnesty claim.
    10 mil over three years? I'd do that in a heartbeat.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

OK but in THE EXACT SAME ARTICLE that you all are linking saying thats its 10 over 3 this Pincus cap Guru dude also says this:

Why is he calling this a $30 Million investment when it would only be $10 Million?

Something doesn't add up.

Literally.
    He's apparently doing his math wrong or something. Only a million of the ~11 mil on the last year is guaranteed, and he even says the minimum has to cover the nonguaranteed portion of that but that it's paid over the 3 year life of the contract. Which is ~3.3 a year, the minimum bid.

Banned

It looks to me like he fixed the mistakes on this article at 9:35pm.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/amnesty-cl...medium=twitter

As first reported by Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle and then confirmed by Adrian Wojnarowksi of Yahoo Sports!, the Houston Rockets are expected to used amnesty on Luis Scola. The goal would ultimately be a run at Dwight Howard of the Orlando Magic (the top priority) or failing that, perhaps a three-way deal to land Andrew Bynum of the Los Angeles Lakers.

Under the normal procedure of making an amnesty claim, teams with cap room can put in a blind bid as the Sacramento Kings did on Travis Outlaw, waived by the then-New Jersey Nets. Submitting a bid $3 million, the Kings took on Outlaw over the final four years of his deal . . . each at $3 million for a total of $12 million.

For a cap team to add Scola at a similar rate per year would be a great deal, except there’s a significant complication.

As confirmed by cap guru Larry Coon, a player with a partially guarantee salary requires a minimum bid of the non-guaranteed amount. Scola is set to make $9.4 million and $10.2 million over the next two years. His final season is for $11.0 million with just $1 million guaranteed.

Few teams have that kind of cap space which may open the door for Luis to clear waivers completely.

In a similar situation, Darko Milicic of the Minnesota Timberwolves, also an amnesty cut, has just $1.8 million of his salary for 2013/14 guaranteed out of $5.7 million which would set the minimum bid to $3.9 million over two years so $1.95 million.

The case is different with Brendan Haywood whose final year is completely non-guaranteed. A claim could be sent in at just $1.35 million per year over the next three, which is certainly a reasonable amount for a solid, if imperfect, seven-footer.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

So many internet gurus and internet know-it-alls creating so much misinformation and so much unnecessary drama...