Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Scola gets the amnesty clause!!!!

Banned

Default Re: Scola gets the amnesty clause!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brand for $2.1, Scola for $3.4 or Mahinmi for $4.0, you go with Mahinmi 10 times out of 10. And you give up Dahntay and DC because, hey, they're not part of our future and because Mahinmi is their value.

I like the restructuring of the bench, but I think this summer has been a solid D- to F. We're near the luxury tax and whether or not we're better is arguable. We should be clearly better with the price we paid.
    I'm starting to agree with this and I can tell you that I'm trying hard to convince myself otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    yeah, that one doesn't make much sense. The Brand bidding started before the presser was scheduled and we certainly had 2.1 mil to spend. At least I thought, maybe they really did frontload Hill or something. Which in a vacuum would make me happy I guess.

Oh well, moving on.
    but it wouldn't matter. until the presser, it was all about his cap hold.
    And even if they front load him AND pay Brand 3 mil AND front load everyone else (obviously not Hibbert, who they can't front load), they'd still be under luxury tax.

So, it's hard to see a reason. Maybe Simon just felt like the payroll was high enough already. There's also the signing bonus. We also paid for Johnson pick.
    Maybe we simply reached our arbitrary spending limit.
    But if our financial concerns are such that we can't even afford to get NEAR the tax line, even in order to make obvious talent upgrades... it's a little depressing.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I want Scola.

I want Scola here.

I want Scola to have my baby.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    David Aldridge was saying Scola may go unclaimed he said there wasn't much interest among teams under the cap(most of them our rebuilding )
    Then its whoever has the full MLE which looks good for us but I doubt the FO has enough foresight to think ahead after David West expiring contract ends. I honestly thought KP was a step in the right direction but now I am having some serious doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by tadscout View Post
    Pritch also said we had to do the S&T the way we did due to salary restrictions. There is something # wise won't don't know about as fans.

That's all I am saying, as fans we don't know the full picture, only the FO does.
    What sign and trade? Didn't know we did one

Brand for $2.1, Scola for $3.4 or Mahinmi for $4.0, you go with Mahinmi 10 times out of 10. And you give up Dahntay and DC because, hey, they're not part of our future and because Mahinmi is their value.

I like the restructuring of the bench, but I think this summer has been a solid D- to F. We're near the luxury tax and whether or not we're better is arguable. We should be clearly better with the price we paid.
    Completely agree. The only move I like is the Green signing.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:

Mood

See I was totally against this because I though we were gonna use the money we saved to get Scola or Brand(and a Ian+Brand/Scola is worth trading DC for cap room imo). But when we didn't go after either one I agree with this 100% now. I still dont know if DC would net us much more but now that trade makes almost no sense except for it saved Mr. Simon a few million dollars.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

With Brand only getting $2.1M, you'd have to think there's a possibility that no team meets the $3.4M minimum to sign Scola, and he becomes a free agent. If that happens, we have our full MLE to work with, I believe.

Three things to keep in mind: Brand was as good as Scola last year, probably better when you factor in defense, Scola has reportedly hurt his knee/leg in Argentina, which may scare teams off, and Dallas -- who reportedly had interest in Scola -- no longer has the cap space to bid on him.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lance George For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    With Brand only getting $2.1M, you'd have to think there's a possibility that no team meets the $3.4M minimum to sign Scola, and he becomes a free agent. If that happens, we have our full MLE to work with, I believe.

Three things to keep in mind: Brand was as good as Scola last year, probably better when you factor in defense, Scola has reportedly hurt his knee/leg in Argentina, which may scare teams off, and Dallas -- who reportedly had interest in Scola -- no longer has the cap space to bid on him.
    we don't have MLE, we have a 2.5 mil 'room' exception. but tbh, if we didn't even bother to bid for one of them, i doubt we are very interested.
    Hansbrough it is, it seems.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by granger4mvp View Post
    What sign and trade? Didn't know we did one
    DC + Jones for Mahinmi
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Two guys that cost us less than 5M last year cost us over 20M this year. Same two guys, so of course that isn't going to help.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

With the Mavs out of the running for Scola....whose left?

Phoenix?

Do the Warriors have enough capspace?

I can see them going after him...they've been looking for more Frontcourt depth.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Then its whoever has the full MLE which looks good for us but I doubt the FO has enough foresight to think ahead after David West expiring contract ends. I honestly thought KP was a step in the right direction but now I am having some serious doubts.

Lets not give Pritchard all the credit. Don't forget the final say is Walsh's.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

I hate to say it, but our FO might well be working under an owner-imposed salary cap. Didn't Bird say (I think it was a year ago) that the target salary range for the Pacers was $60-65m? Many commented on that number since it's comfortably below the tax. Well, coincidentally we just happen to have reached that level of spending this year and again coincidentally, aren't planning on any more moves.

I wonder if things would have been different if we had been able to move Hans in the Augustin deal. That would have freed up $3m which we might have used to bid on Brand.

An owner cap could also explain why the Mahinmi signing had to be paired with a salary dump. Maybe that's the "salary restriction" KP was referring to?

Anyway, I understand that this is a hot button topic and all the above is just speculation on my part. Feel free to blast my ignorance of the real workings inside PS&E. But this theory at least explains some of the more inexplicable moves by our FO (including Bird's departure).

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    yepp nothing better for team chemistry than the black hole on both offense and defense that is Tyler Hans.
    True, but I think Tyler's PT next year will be pretty low, and adding another guy to the mix for 1 year in the case of Brand might not have much benefit. On the other hand if we could have gotten Scola I say go for it he still has like 3 years left, but I think the Pacers are satisfied with the guys they have, and the chemistry so far.

Also in any situation, we would have to lock up an extra roster spot with either Scola or Brand, unless we cut Hans, Which would not be so bad, but I do not see the Pacers wanting to do that.
    Why so SERIOUS

Banned

David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt
    Source: Mavericks have not yet decided whether to bid on Luis Scola, may see if other players are amnestied.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    I hate to say it, but our FO might well be working under an owner-imposed salary cap. Didn't Bird say (I think it was a year ago) that the target salary range for the Pacers was $60-65m? Many commented on that number since it's comfortably below the tax. Well, coincidentally we just happen to have reached that level of spending this year and again coincidentally, aren't planning on any more moves.

I wonder if things would have been different if we had been able to move Hans in the Augustin deal. That would have freed up $3m which we might have used to bid on Brand.

An owner cap could also explain why the Mahinmi signing had to be paired with a salary dump. Maybe that's the "salary restriction" KP was referring to?

Anyway, I understand that this is a hot button topic and all the above is just speculation on my part. Feel free to blast my ignorance of the real workings inside PS&E. But this theory at least explains some of the more inexplicable moves by our FO (including Bird's departure).

Interesting post! Nothing wrong with a little speculation especially when it seems it could be pausible. It offers a different view, and that's what a forum is for.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post

This is exactly what I think as well. I can't blame Simon for wanting to go all out spending like crazy and flirting with the luxury tax. We will be right around that $65 million mark. Thats a pretty hefty payroll. I think if we could have flipped Hansbrough for Augustin we would have put a bid in for Brand or Scola.

We kept our starting 5 together and we improved the bench. This has been a very solid offseason.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Watch Orlando make the deal with Houston....which likely will put Orlando below the cap. Then pick up Scola for dirt cheap. Pretty smooth way of adding Scola to the trade....and have Houston pick up his salary in the process.

When is the bid opening?

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Man, I know they had stuff lined up with George and Roy, but surely they could have made the pitch to them that they wanted to hold on.

Or maybe what they "signed" at the presser was their Dunkin Donuts orders and the real contracts get signed Monday after the Pacers win the Scola bid.

I get the timing is tough and I get that Simon doesn't want to spend crazy, but Scola for this money would be a massive win for the team and make them a real force, while still having plenty of outs come next season if things go wrong. To me this one is a miss by Pritch and DW. West followed by Scola means non-stop frontline scoring being defended by Bosh, Haslem and Joel Anthony maybe.
    A contending team trying to stay under the luxury tax should try to sign Scola. Adding value for money contracts balances out the overpayments. Hibbert and Scola for 17m a year sounds about right.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Team Indy For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Marc Stein: The NBA's 30 teams have just been notified that Phoenix has won waiver auction for Luis Scola Twitter

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Sports Logo

Not surprised one bit by this.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Houston and Phoenix seem to exchange players off to each other all the time.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

The Suns?
    So now they have Scola, Beasley, Markieff Morris, Hakim Warrick and Channing Frye. If I'm not forgetting anyone.

I think they are trying to compete with the Rockets in who can collect more power forwards.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post: