Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: (BUMPED) Pacers get DJ Augustin for one year

Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers get DJ Augustin for one year

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can't say Pacers aren't a FA destination anymore eh? Players taking less money to sign with us! What's the world coming to
    I am more inclined to believe that DJ just wanted to get out of Charlotte and took the 1 year deal so that he can be an UFA next season.....so that he has total control of his destiny.
    Last edited by CableKC; 07-13-2012 at 12:42 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    Wrong. This is real life not NBA 2K12. Players are investments, you don't short sell because of one bad season. Instead you say, "Why did Tyler regress?" I think 51% of the problem was bench chemistry; he and Lou are too similar. Careers are not day to day, month to month, or year to year.
    No, you say "why is it that Tyler is playing the exact same style of ball with the exact same limited set of impact moves and weak defense that he's been playing since his Soph year". Everyone wanted to treat him like we got a 20 year old with 1 year of college abd tons of growth potential rather than a clearly limited and PLATEAUED older college player.

All this "one bad month" and "system wasn't right for him" doesn't change his FG%, his lack of any post move or any post shot that involves 2 hands or being shot from above his shoulder height, and the fact that just as in college an unnaturally large portion of his points come from the FT line due to his out of control flailing near the rim...which people incorrectly describe as "hustle".

West hustles just as much, but his smooth moves in the post hide his effort behind a mask of ease. And rotating poorly on defense, much worse than guys like Paul or Danny do, is definitely not "hustle".

Quote Originally Posted by HC View Post
    I guess with Murhpy and Dunleavy gone Tyler has become the new whipping boy.
    New? I personally boo'd the pick, hated the pick, ranted to other PDers that night about the pick, ranted to more PDers at the summer party after the pick.

Since then there's been a lot of "you'll see" and "give him a break", but I'm still waiting on different results than I saw him produce at UNC.

The fan reaction to Tyler has been embarrassing. He gets cheered more than any player, has more fans than any player, has more jersey's, and people holding photos, poster, etc to be signed...when Gnome and I went to Houston 2 years ago one fan brought a PAINTED, FRAMED picture of him that was about 4' x 3'. And I'm supposed to feel bad about negative comments about his game? No, what Tyler defenders should feel bad about is that Danny, Roy, Paul, West and even Hill should DWARF Tyler in fan reaction, support, jersey sales, etc and yet this (self edit) fanbase hasn't produced that. All I can say is thank god for Area 55 or it would really be embarrassing.

I'm saying "enough is enough". And frankly Troy and Dun make great comparisons because in those cases enough was enough as well. Think about the 10m Dun was getting when discussing some of these recent acquisitions. I just don't see how anyone could view Troy or Dun's impact as equal to West for 10m. And that's why they were whipping boys.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 07-13-2012 at 12:58 AM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    I agree! Tyler is one of the best "backup" PF's in the league period. Even after a down year he was still one of the better backup 4's. He is not a starter and shouldnt be judged as one!
    How? What has Hansbrough done to prove anything to anyone?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkRdp...e_gdata_player

I like DJ's aggressiveness as a scorer. He's a much better scorer than Collison. His game is nearly identical to Jameer Nelson's. He's about the same size too. I'm glad the Pacers got him for a great price and it's only for 1 year.

Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 07-13-2012 at 06:34 AM. Reason: convenince

Tyler is bad. He has one skill. Bumping into people to draw fouls.

Anyone who plays NBA 2K12 or whatever the stupid things is called should be banned from all public message boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    No, you say "why is it that Tyler is playing the exact same style of ball with the exact same limited set of impact moves and weak defense that he's been playing since his Soph year". Everyone wanted to treat him like we got a 20 year old with 1 year of college rather that a clearly limited and PLATEAUED older college player.

All this "one bad month" and "system wasn't right for him" doesn't change his FG%, his lack of any post move or any post shot that involves 2 hands or being shot from above his shoulder height, and the fact that just as in college an unnaturally large portion of his points come from the FT line due to his out of control flailing near the rim...which people incorrectly describe as "hustle".

West hustles just as much, but his smooth moves in the post hide his effort behind a mask of ease. And rotating poorly on defense, much worse than guys like Paul or Danny do, is definitely not "hustle".
    He doesn't even stand in the right places. Guarding the same players he stands completely differently than other players. Maybe he's trying not to get lost, or someone is telling him to do it that way so he doesn't get lost, but then he can't rotate properly. Maybe he wouldn't have rotated properly anyway. It's just bad.

Anyone who plays NBA 2K12 or whatever the stupid things is called should be banned from all public message boards.
    I think people who say this don't know how to play NBA 2k.

Tyler is pretty good in 2k though. Much better than real life. He can make mid range shots and has some post moves and goes up for strong dunks.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    Tyler is bad. He has one skill. Bumping into people to draw fouls.
    Tyler is so bad that he statistically average for the 4 position. Not bad for a backup. He is one of the best backup 4's in the league. Anyone who knows anything about basketball understands that.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's all Tyler's fault. It's his fault that Bird drafted him so high, and it is his fault we lost in the playoffs. Just get it all out of the way.
    When all of your wishes are granted many of your dreams will be destroyed -MM

Tyler is so bad that he statistically average for the 4 position. Not bad for a backup. He is one of the best backup 4's in the league. Anyone who knows anything about basketball understands that.
    He shot 40% and had 30 assists. That is extremely below average. Charlotte doesn't even want him. I guess every NBA team knows nothing about basketball. You should be running the league.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

cgg

Quote Originally Posted by HC View Post
    It's all Tyler's fault. It's his fault that Bird drafted him so high, and it is his fault we lost in the playoffs. Just get it all out of the way.
    He played a very significant role in us losing in the playoffs.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    He shot 40% and had 30 assists. That is extremely below average. Charlotte doesn't even want him. I guess every NBA team knows nothing about basketball. You should be running the league.
    Well with all your well placed sources you should know! Try reading the REST of the stat sheet not just the part you want to read. Tyler will be playing significant minutes for us next year unless he is traded. Then he will play significant minutes for the team he is traded too.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

We apparently understand basketball very differently. There's honestly not one single thing I can say Hansbrough is even average at. Not good, just average. OK I lied, he's a pretty good FT shooter for a 4. That's it. No one's rooting for him to fail or anything, it's not personal, he just isn't any good.

How anyone can watch him play consistently and call him one of the best backup 4s in the league honestly baffles me.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Mood

No kidding with Roy and West on the floor we were an elite team statistically(up there with Miami and OKC). With Hans and Lou we were as bad as most bottom feeders(even with Granger and our other starters in).

Well with all your well placed sources you should know! Try reading the REST of the stat sheet not just the part you want to read. Tyler will be playing significant minutes for us next year unless he is traded. Then he will play significant minutes for the team he is traded too.
    What stat is he good at?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    We apparently understand basketball very differently. There's honestly not one single thing I can say Hansbrough is even average at. Not good, just average. OK I lied, he's a pretty good FT shooter for a 4. That's it. No one's rooting for him to fail or anything, it's not personal, he just isn't any good.

How anyone can watch him play consistently and call him one of the best backup 4s in the league honestly baffles me.
    He is very good at drawing fouls.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    No kidding with Roy and West on the floor we were an elite team statistically. With Hans and Lou we were as bad as most bottom feeders(even with Granger and our other starters in).
    I don't blame Lou. I watched every game 3 times. Tyler cost us a lot against Miami.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

No, I pretty much just blame Tyler for no post moves, tons of FGAs despite a 35-40% typical make rate, no vertical play on either end (he can't defend the glass at rim height at all and relies on a "ground game" to scrum up rebounds), and terrible defensive awareness.

As PF go he doesn't rank "good for backups", he ranks near dead last by a good margin in FG% because most PFs supplement their shooting with 99% at the rim rates, something Tyler does not do. His numbers have always been nearly identical to or slightly worse than McRoberts. And I know this because I had to drag them out for about a billion rant filled debates on PD. I mean I like Josh and wanted him to stay here, but as a backup PF with hops who was a decent bargain for the money, not as one of the elite PF backups in the NBA.

So how does his number turn into "elite backup" when attached to Tyler?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

Put down the joystick and watch real BB.
    Average NBA PF = 8.8 ppg
    Tyler = 9.3

Average NBA PF = 4.7 rpg
    Tyler = 4.4

This is a BACKUP we are talking about and he is still statistically average in a very down year. The previous year he was above average and I believe he will be much better this coming season. But to suggest Tyler is a bust just shows ignorance of the real game..

Sports Logo

He is very good at drawing fouls.
    I understand your point, but so's Corey Maggette. And don't get me started and that embarrassment to the game.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

He's going for three... mikeyism's Avatar

The hidden plus to this pickup is that DJ has quietly developed into one of the league's best playmakers. Can't say overall he's a better player than DC, but with our crap assist numbers, he's a better fit for us.

According to Draftexpress, DJ finished 6th and 10th in Pure Point Rating among PGs in 2012 and 2011. Even more impressive when you consider he did this with bricklayers like Gerald Henderson out on the wing. DC in comparison finished out of the top 25, both this season and last.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeyism For This Useful Post:

Mood

He basically averaged about 12 minutes, so I would have to disagree. If that is your angle, then I would say that Grangers play wasn't all that great therefore his role in our losses was even more significant.
    When all of your wishes are granted many of your dreams will be destroyed -MM

Sports Logo

I'm not going to argue with someone who can't have a debate w/o accusing the other side of being ignorant and not understanding basketball. It's just childish.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Put down the joystick and watch real BB.
    Average NBA PF = 8.8 ppg
    Tyler = 9.3

Average NBA PF = 4.7 rpg
    Tyler = 4.4

This is a BACKUP we are talking about and he is still statistically average in a very down year. The previous year he was above average and I believe he will be much better this coming season. But to suggest Tyler is a bust just shows ignorance of the real game..
    Stop talking about video games to insult people. Tyler is a good backup in NBA 2k. He's not good in real life. Your opinion is the one that matches video games.