Thread: Lance Stephenson to Indiana Pacers

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Lance Stephenson to Indiana Pacers

My theory behind the moves made and being considered is the improved, more mature play of Lance Stephenson in the Summer League...

He has proven that he is a legit backup at the NBA level... It amazes me that the fanbase is hell-bent on finding a versatile 2 guard when he is in our lap... I believe that it is his improved play that made DC expendable and Mahinmi an option... Green is an upgrade over Dahntay... If Lance wasn't the FO answer to the backup 2, OJ or Lee would be here and Green would not...

I also believe Tyler will be dealt for DJ... After that, however, PF, HAS to be answered.

With these moves, overpayed backup SG can no longer be an option... We can say Plum till we turn blue... Hes not ready to back up Dwest, and hes definately not more ready than born ready to log more bench minutes...

Remember what Vogel said after the game day before yesterday. Lance is gonna be asked to come off the bench and play more PG and SG...

Lances time is now... He has arrived... I hope hes ready!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to *astrisk* For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Lance Stephenson to Indiana Pacers

We traded that little boy on the bench for this man Lance. good deal

Quote Originally Posted by *astrisk* View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

He was born ready!

Sorry had to do it.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

I hate to be negative, but he's a summer league all-star from the moment he was drafted. Doesn't mean he isn't getting it now, I'd just not judge it from his participation in a situation thats made for his abilities.

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I hate to be negative, but he's a summer league all-star from the moment he was drafted. Doesn't mean he isn't getting it now, I'd just not judge it from his participation in a situation thats made for his abilities.
    I hear ya. So why would we take anything away from Summer League? Nobody is asking him to outplay the dwades of the nba.. Ronnie brewers, Alec burks, etc. Yes...

I hear ya. So why would we take anything away from Summer League? Nobody is asking him to outplay the dwades of the nba.. Ronnie brewers, Alec burks, etc. Yes...
    I mostly think, and this is just my opinion, you can't tell if a guy is good by summer league, but you can tell if he's bad. These games aren't NBA level, but NBA talent should still look good in these glorified scrimmages, if guys look bad you have to wonder about their talent level or mindset period. I think it applies more to guards and wings, too. Bigs can get lost in these leagues, especially offensively, since its alot of chucking.

So ya, he looks great, but he's looked great in the past and wasn't ready for playing as a consistent rotation guy, maybe now he is. Part of my hesitance with Lance is in summer league, he's the guy with the ball, thats where he excels. When Camp opens, I'm not sure how much he'll get or can handle that responsibility. Hopefully he's ready. He has to be able to contribute across the board though, not just with the ball in his hands.

He needs to rotate defensively as part of the team defense, he HAS to be able to knock down standing open jumpers, almost everytime. If not, he starts to hurt the unit on the floor. In summer league, play breaks down, he is big and nimble enough to get himself or someone else a bucket, its a whole different set of circumstances. So, I am encourage by his play, big time, but he has a lot of stuff to prove to be in the rotation on a team that should have designs on being a top 4 seed again.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I second the fact that...

He was "Born ready"

Now I hope he really is

I think Lance is why we were able to makes these deals. Not sure why so many disliked the DC trade but, the nba is front loaded with point guards and that drives down there values. However for centers it is just the opposite. As we have seen these past weeks.

Lance has shown to have the skill set to play quality minutes either backing up the point or sliding to the 2 when needed. We didn't draft him and give him 2 years guaranteed to sit on the bench and play in the "summer leauge". The kid has the talent. No one is doubting that so at the end of the day which it literally is considering this could be his last season with us (depending on his play) He should get a shot to be in the rotation with quality minutes. We atleast own him the opportunity and if for some reason he can't catch on then its back to the bench. However if he does get it and improves we may just have ourselves a backup role player for 3 more years or longer who knowns. All I know is I want to see him on the court next year. I was excited that we got him in the 2nd round and I hope Born Ready is in fact Ready.
    I'm a Beast

Mood

I mostly think, and this is just my opinion, you can't tell if a guy is good by summer league, but you can tell if he's bad. These games aren't NBA level, but NBA talent should still look good in these glorified scrimmages, if guys look bad you have to wonder about their talent level or mindset period. I think it applies more to guards and wings, too. Bigs can get lost in these leagues, especially offensively, since its alot of chucking.

So ya, he looks great, but he's looked great in the past and wasn't ready for playing as a consistent rotation guy, maybe now he is. Part of my hesitance with Lance is in summer league, he's the guy with the ball, thats where he excels. When Camp opens, I'm not sure how much he'll get or can handle that responsibility. Hopefully he's ready. He has to be able to contribute across the board though, not just with the ball in his hands.

He needs to rotate defensively as part of the team defense, he HAS to be able to knock down standing open jumpers, almost everytime. If not, he starts to hurt the unit on the floor. In summer league, play breaks down, he is big and nimble enough to get himself or someone else a bucket, its a whole different set of circumstances. So, I am encourage by his play, big time, but he has a lot of stuff to prove to be in the rotation on a team that should have designs on being a top 4 seed again.
    I'm not saying I know for sure he is ready... what I'm saying is, ready or not, here he comes...

It is nice to see him dominating... He is getting uncontested shots and making them... He is getting into the paint and getting the bigs to the rim at will... He is making his team better..

I'm optimistic. Can't wait to see him take on Burks in a bit...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to *astrisk* For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

you can't tell if a guy is good by summer league, but you can tell if he's bad.
    Well said.

Therefore, Pendergrass is bad.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

I thought everybody said he was being set up for failure. I'm confused.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

I thought Dante's tweet was telling. Almost definitely posted already here, but he said

"Thanks Pacers fans for all the support over the past 3 years. I gave my heart and soul on the court and in the community,"

&

"Indiana is definitely a place I will always remember. Happy to see my guys @StephensonLance and @King24George grow into great players &men."

At the very least, I think it was explained to him that they're giving more minutes to those two.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 3rdStrike For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I'm not sure NBA executives who make their living building rosters really know what to make out of the summer league, so how can you guys tell if he's actually good or just the least-awful in that environment? It wasn't all that long ago that he put up so many clunkers in a row in the actual Association that he played his way out of the rotation. We know the competition has changed, everything else is just a guestimate. Its summer league, which is several steps below the quality of basketball played in the early preseason games (and that's pretty ugly, too.)
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I don't think the FO made a move with thinking "Oh Lance has had some good summer league games" If they are expecting more out of Lance, its from what he's been doing in practice and such.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    I don't think the FO made a move with thinking "Oh Lance has had some good summer league games" If they are expecting more out of Lance, its from what he's been doing in practice and such.
    When has practiced with any of the regular players? I know he's been in town doing individual workouts and with the summer league roster, but have any of the others? Clearly Hill and Hibbert haven't been practicing as they weren't under contract (DO NOT GET HURT YOUR CONTRACT IS IN LIMBO!!). I don't think that's it, either.

I don't think they've made a single move this summer based on whether Lance is going to be in the rotation or not. Period.

Because they won't know if he's shown any real improvement until he proves it in the preseason/ training camp. He's dominated summer league before, but that didn't translate to being NBA-ready.

If he ever is in the regular season rotation again, consider it a bonus. The last time he was surrounded by legit NBA caliber players he found his way out of the rotation, except for a meaningless game to mop up the regular season.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thanks the op just for the title. Make me chuckles out loud, get a thanks.
    PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."