View Poll Results: Did we just get better or worse?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, we are better now.

    55 39.29%
  • No, we just got worse.

    24 17.14%
  • Depends on whether or not we get Augustin.

    61 43.57%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 90

Thread: Poll: Did we just get better or worse?

  1. #26
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    16,940

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Poll: Did we just get better or worse?

    Here's the thing from my perspective: I don't know if we got better or worse. Honestly, we haven't moved the needle much either way. It's just a lot of shaking up of a roster that had some success and seemed to get along great in the locker room, by all accounts. I get that we needed to make some moves and our bench bludgeoned us against Miami, but I don't see where long-term or short-term these moves make us a significantly better team. It just seems to be moves for the sake of making moves.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  3. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Poll: Did we just get better or worse?

    I kind of like what we are doing, we re-signed our two young guys in Hill and Hibbert and now we are sorrounding them with other young players, this is what we should have done long time ago.

  4. #28
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    16,940

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Poll: Did we just get better or worse?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I kind of like what we are doing, we re-signed our two young guys in Hill and Hibbert and now we are sorrounding them with other young players, this is what we should have done long time ago.
    Yeah--when we were rebuilding. We are done rebuilding. We are rebuilt. We are supposed to be making moves to take the next step. My point is that I'm not sure we have done that.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  6. #29
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,251
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Poll: Did we just get better or worse?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I kind of like what we are doing, we re-signed our two young guys in Hill and Hibbert and now we are sorrounding them with other young players, this is what we should have done long time ago.
    DC is a good player but not irreplaceable, and with the younger talent the Pacers can grow together and gel as they enter their primes and we can acquire (like you have said before, I think) CJ Watson or just trust Lance.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  7. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Poll: Did we just get better or worse?

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah--when we were rebuilding. We are done rebuilding. We are rebuilt. We are supposed to be making moves to take the next step. My point is that I'm not sure we have done that.
    Well that's not what I'm saying, I think I'm expecting for another deal to come and probably we are going to trade old for young.

  8. #31
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    16,940

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Poll: Did we just get better or worse?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well that's not what I'm saying, I think I'm expecting for another deal to come and probably we are going to trade old for young.
    Who is old that we are going to trade for someone younger?

  9. #32
    Obviously ur not a golfer 5_7_Clash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    319

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Poll: Did we just get better or worse?

    The Green signing is great for lots of reasons but I will admit that the specifics (if in fact we know them all) of the Collison deal are troubling. I think a bench front court of Ian and Plum could be an upgrade over Lou and Hans but honestly, we won't know until we see them play for a while. In the mean time, it's pretty obvious we didn't get equal value for DC and D Jones.

    However, if we get Augustin (or pull off a good, here-for-to unmentioned deal) that would put these moves into solid 'Upgrade' territory, IMO.

  10. #33
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,465

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Poll: Did we just get better or worse?

    Kind of risk moves, but look, we need to get better and these moves may make our team better, or they may blow up in our faces. Dahntay was a safe player with a low ceiling, but dependable, a Larry Bird kind of guy basically. We are probably going to need more than that to take it to the next level. So while these moves were probably necessary in the shorter term they are kind of harrowing, but they do have the potential of paying off. Green is a risk but not an expensive risk, and his ceiling is much higher than Dahntay's and the reward potential is huge there.

    Still wish we could have gotten more for DC, I was never high on him especially as a starter, but damn I thought he was worth more than that.

  11. #34
    Obviously ur not a golfer 5_7_Clash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    319

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Poll: Did we just get better or worse?

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah--when we were rebuilding. We are done rebuilding. We are rebuilt. We are supposed to be making moves to take the next step. My point is that I'm not sure we have done that.
    In spite of the kudos we got last season for being one of the deeper teams in the league, the playoffs gave us a clear indication that it was our bench that needed work. These moves (and hopefully whatever might come in the next few days) address that need. I consider that taking a next step.
    Last edited by 5_7_Clash; 07-11-2012 at 11:42 PM.

  12. #35
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,465

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Poll: Did we just get better or worse?

    We weren't going to pay Collison what he wanted next offseason anyway. So basically you're talking about replacing D-Jones with Gerald Green, and adding a decent backup center. I guess that's not bad. Weird though.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:


  14. #36
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,091

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Poll: Did we just get better or worse?

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here's the thing from my perspective: I don't know if we got better or worse. Honestly, we haven't moved the needle much either way. It's just a lot of shaking up of a roster that had some success and seemed to get along great in the locker room, by all accounts. I get that we needed to make some moves and our bench bludgeoned us against Miami, but I don't see where long-term or short-term these moves make us a significantly better team. It just seems to be moves for the sake of making moves.
    I think it was a matter of Acquiring players that fit eachother better on the court, as well as fit the schemes the coaching staff has in place better. We got bigger, longer and more athletic. We also got more versatile as well. We need as much length and athleticism as we can get as that is the way of the league now. If we get another PG then we are def a more complete team.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:


  16. #37
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,504

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Poll: Did we just get better or worse?

    The Pacers chose Hill over Collsion. Even without a new backup PG, you get at worst a bipolar 6'5 talent off the bench to man it. I think the fact they chose to go with a center means they have faith in Plumlee to be able to score the ball. If he practices with the same confidence in his moves as he shows in his limited highlights and summer league play, I think we may finally have a guy you can throw the ball to down low 2-3 times a game off the bench.

    Our lineup roles are more defined, and we are now ridiculously BIG. I mean, our team is BIG. MASSIVE. And athletic with the exception of our starting bigs. Assuming no Augusin, we are:

    PG 6'2, 6'5
    SG 6'9, 6'8/6'5/6'5
    SF 6'8, 6'8
    PF 6'9, 6'9/6'11
    C 7'2, 6'11/6'11

    If we get Augustin, it's not quite like DC's 6'0 either. He attacks and draws contact more often, makes quicker decisions(good/bad), and can actually shoot a 3-pointer without 12 feet of space.

    I like the changes without Augustin. If we get Augustin, I just like it more.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:


  18. #38
    How u imawhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    B-town
    Posts
    5,189

    Default Re: Poll: Did we just get better or worse?

    Collison is the best player in these transactions and Jones is arguably 2nd best. Both players brought very specific skills to our team that we're losing. The two players we're bringing in don't add any new skills. I think this is a clear loss.

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:


  20. #39
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,504

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Poll: Did we just get better or worse?

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Collison is the best player in these transactions and Jones is arguably 2nd best. Both players brought very specific skills to our team that we're losing. The two players we're bringing in don't add any new skills. I think this is a clear loss.
    It's pretty obvious that they were auctioning off DC because they weren't going to pay him what he wanted next year. With the amount of DC level PGs still in the FA pool even now, there wasn't much to be had for him. I think they wanted to dump Jones and replace his salary so they could pay essentially the same money for Green. And I think that's how it should be looked at.

    They "traded" DC and Dhantay for Mahinmi and Green. They're trying to fit pieces and preserve some measure of cap flexibility.

  21. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Poll: Did we just get better or worse?

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who is old that we are going to trade for someone younger?
    I think is possible that we could trade either Danny or West for younger players, if I was a betting man I'll say Danny is the one.

  22. #41

    Default Re: Poll: Did we just get better or worse?

    I think it is funny how D. Jones is considered such an important player now that he is gone. It would be hard to find 5 people on this board who didnt hate to see him come in. He was one of the most despised players on this team but now that he is gone some on here are acting like he was an All-star

  23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troyc11a For This Useful Post:


  24. #42
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,251
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Poll: Did we just get better or worse?

    Anyone heard from El Pacero tonight?
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  25. #43
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,792

    Default Re: Poll: Did we just get better or worse?

    Im not liking the Collison and Jones trade for Mahinmi...what makes it even worse is that we're stuck with his contract for 4 years and Collison and Jones are expiring next summer. I really didnt understand that trade

    The signing of Green was a nice addition. Hes young, athletic and can play defence. Good energy guy off the bench.

    This is what we were going to see when we hired Walsh and KP. Theyre really active GMs....they make ballsy moves...they werent going to sit back and do nothing.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  26. #44
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Poll: Did we just get better or worse?

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah--when we were rebuilding. We are done rebuilding. We are rebuilt. We are supposed to be making moves to take the next step. My point is that I'm not sure we have done that.
    It could go either way. I suppose in theory I prefer mixing things up with the bench since that was clearly the bigger problem than our starting 5 vs. Miami. And this edition seems to be bigger and more athletic, which is nice. We just can't know if it will click or not until we get there.

  27. #45

    Default Re: Poll: Did we just get better or worse?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think is possible that we could trade either Danny or West for younger players, if I was a betting man I'll say Danny is the one.
    I don't love Tyreke Evans, but could he be an option? I don't think Danny has a ton of value, and I don't really see who else we could get for him. I think Tyreke would be easier to trade if Gordon or another star player becomes available in the next couple years

  28. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Age
    21
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: Poll: Did we just get better or worse?

    I think we're better as a whole. Keep in mind after Hill became the starter last year was when we really made our run. I think we'll see the same starting 5 return (as it probably should), and our offseason has been about upgrading a bench that really had a knack for blowing early leads in the playoffs. Plumlee and Mahimi(sp?) should be at least better and younger than Lou/Hans, and Green is at least DJ's equal. If Green can play good D, hit 3's, and be a cheerleader, then he will match Dahntay, and I think he can be better than that. Lost in all of this is Lance, who I think will be given consistent minutes this year. If Lance is improved, then he can really be a wildcard for us off of the bench. Just from watching him in summer league, if he brings the kind of play to the real games, then our bench can be so much better. As a whole, we're a more complete team IMO, and that should help us in the long run.

  29. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Greentown, Indiana
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Poll: Did we just get better or worse?

    For everyone that is saying we are got better tonight because we set ourselves up for a bigger better trade remembers we are talking about the pacers right??? The same team that's had cap space the last two trade deadlines and only had barbosa to show for it. Love the pacers and will root for them till the day I die but this was a bad trade.

  30. #48
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,222
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Poll: Did we just get better or worse?

    Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it is funny how D. Jones is considered such an important player now that he is gone. It would be hard to find 5 people on this board who didnt hate to see him come in. He was one of the most despised players on this team but now that he is gone some on here are acting like he was an All-star
    Really? I remember a lot of people being pretty positive about the signing....

  31. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Poll: Did we just get better or worse?

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't love Tyreke Evans, but could he be an option? I don't think Danny has a ton of value, and I don't really see who else we could get for him. I think Tyreke would be easier to trade if Gordon or another star player becomes available in the next couple years
    I don't think is Tyreke, Lance to me duplicates what Tyreke brings and of course Tyreke is better, I don't know but it looks weird to me that we are trying to clear more cap space, maybe we are trying to get somebody with a big contract? JS and gay are some names that come to mind.

  32. #50
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,504

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Poll: Did we just get better or worse?

    Quote Originally Posted by Volginator View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For everyone that is saying we are got better tonight because we set ourselves up for a bigger better trade remembers we are talking about the pacers right??? The same team that's had cap space the last two trade deadlines and only had barbosa to show for it. Love the pacers and will root for them till the day I die but this was a bad trade.
    Not all teams have the same goals all of the time when trading. Mahinmi actually played well last season, actually outperforming Haywood in different instances.

Similar Threads

  1. What Other NBA Coaches Are Worse Than JO'B?
    By Justin Tyme in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 03-02-2010, 10:29 AM
  2. This is worse than the downfall in '03
    By Bball in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-24-2006, 10:10 PM
  3. I don't know what's worse.....
    By MagicRat in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-06-2005, 01:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •