View Poll Results: Did we just get better or worse?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, we are better now.

55 39.29%
  • No, we just got worse.

24 17.14%
  • Depends on whether or not we get Augustin.

61 43.57%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Did we just get better or worse?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Poll: Did we just get better or worse?

Quote Originally Posted by ESutt7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For those saying it depends on Augustin, if we DO get him would that lead you to believe we improved our team today?
    It completely depends on if we got Augustin.

If we got Augustin, I like what we've done.

If we don't get Augustin, I'll drink til I vomit.

Roy Hibbert, Ian Manihimi
    David West, Tyler Hansbrough
    Danny Granger
    Paul George, Gerald Green
    George Hill, DJ Augustin

Paul George/Gerald Green can slide to SF and George Hill can slide to SG. I would actually like that roster a lot to be honest. I first read Mahinimi trade without reading the other stuff and I was really disgusted at first. I feel like getting DJ is a must though or another point guard obviously.
    "I have never taken the high road, but I tell other people to ’cause then there’s more room for me on the low road."

Darren Collison and Dahntay Jones played very well for us last season, not to mention they were great guys in the community and in the locker room. Also, they both expressed a desire to return this year. I fear what this will do to team chemistry, especially with regard to Lance Stephenson, who Dahntay Jones has been mentoring. Quite frankly, it makes me sick thinking about this. Nothing against Mahinmi, but we lost the two best players in the deal. I'm very sad right now.
    Last edited by LoneGranger33; 07-12-2012 at 12:34 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

Fwiw, Manhimi seems to only take high percentage shots. In the past two seasons he played in 56 and 61 games while shooting 56.1% and 54.6%. In comparison, Amundson played 60 games for us last season and shot 43.0% That's terrible

I do feel like Collison was worth more but Augustin can easily replace his production. We absolutely have to get Augustin. Augustin has averaged 6 assists the past two seasons. I don't care for his shooting percentage at all though so hopefully he doesn't try to score.

So I withdraw my comments in the Mahinmi thread..... IFFFFFFFFFFF... we get Augustin(or another good PG). Then I really like our off-season to be honest.
    "I have never taken the high road, but I tell other people to ’cause then there’s more room for me on the low road."

On Mike Wells twitter...

I hear an Augustin-to-Indiana sign-and-trade is unlikely. More to come.
    Mike Wells didn't say it but if true, guess Hill better stay healthy and play all 48 minutes.

Collison trade will completely bite us if we don't get another quality point guard.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    They forked over $100 million+ in player contracts this offseason. Something tells me if they really wanted him, they would have kept him. The fans are upset, because they are New York fans, and that's what they do.
    They couldnt keep him, not while maxing Lopez... And making the trade for JJ... They did not have Green's Bird rights... FYI

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bballpacen For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    On Mike Wells twitter...

Mike Wells didn't say it but if true, guess Hill better stay healthy and play all 48 minutes.

Collison trade will completely bite us if we don't get another quality point guard.
    As vnzla81 suggests.....if DJ falls through ( he's a RFA that belongs on a Team that already has a future PG starting ) there are other quality backup PGs like CJ Watson that I think could be had at a reasonable price. One way or another, I think that we will end up with a quality Backup PG that can fill in as an "emergency" Starting PG.

I really think that if we make an offer of $5 mil to him per season.......the Bobcats won't match. Honestly, after all of the times that MJ has backed out at the last second of any deal that we've had....he owes the Simons on this deal.....just take a S&T of Augustin for Hansbrough.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Trade Hansbrough and a pick to NO for Jarrett Jack and get a starting point guard who is a leader and can control Stephenson in the lockerroom. Shift Hill to the 2, George to the 3, Granger to the other 3 for small ball purposes. Bring in West as the backup for Roy, play Manihimi as the backup 4, and play more of a smashmouth style with the 2nd unit.

Regardless, I believe that either this is the begininng of more moves to come, or the beginning of the needed austerity for when the Pacers will have to pay a bigger contract to Paul George and potentially try to re-sign West. Bird would not have liked austerity at this juncture, so I suspect that austerity might be what we are seeing in its beginning stages.
    Last edited by Brad8888; 07-12-2012 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling of Manihimi

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    Trade Hansbrough and a pick to NO for Jarrett Jack and get a starting point guard who is a leader and can control Stephenson in the lockerroom. Shift Hill to the 2, George to the 3, Granger to the other 3 for small ball purposes. Bring in West as the backup for Roy, play Mahimi (sp?) as the backup 4, and play more of a smashmouth style with the 2nd unit.

Regardless, I believe that either this is the begininng of more moves to come, or the beginning of the needed austerity for when the Pacers will have to pay a bigger contract to Paul George and potentially try to re-sign West. Bird would not have liked austerity at this juncture, so I suspect that austerity might be what we are seeing in its beginning stages.
    Jarrett Jack got traded to the Warriors.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

Nothin new here people overreacting for every move we make. We actually get an athletic big who is a center which what weve all been wanting for years and we still complain. Yes losin collison hurts but i believe backup center was a bigger need. We still ha e options for backup point. And if we dont get one weve all been waitin to see what lance can do. So lets wait a bit before we freak out fellas

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Anyone who thinks we lost the "two" best players in this deal are severely overrating D-Jones.

legit backup center > Jones
    Gerald Green > Jones

And that's just scratching the surface of the myriad of things greater than D-Jones. He's a serviceable backup wing(at best), nothing remotely special.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

I think the Pacers now understand that the bench has to be able to put the ball in the bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraft View Post
    I think the Pacers now understand that the bench has to be able to put the ball in the bucket.
    Totally agree. Did anybody watch the playoffs this year? Plus, the team needs to get more athletic all the way around. We get killed by athletic teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Significantly worse. The Dallas trade will go down as one of the worst in Pacers franchise history.

The Green signing is the only thing I like.
    this. ian ****ing mahinmi! are you kidding me?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ESutt7 View Post
    For those saying it depends on Augustin, if we DO get him would that lead you to believe we improved our team today?
    I think so, the reason Miami won was because our bench was built for offense and couldn't get a bucket. Jones was pretty much the only quality defensive player, everyone else being more on the offensive side. I know Lou is/was a fan favorite, but I wanted to look away everytime the ball was near him, not a shooter and got thrown on defense. Plumlee can be better I think, just because he can score better and can rebound, but I hope he can improve his on the ball defense. Tyler (if he stays) I think can still be a serviceable player on both sides of the ball, he just lost his confidence when he was moved to the bench. He has a good mid-range and hustle that is rare to find. Don't forget Tyler and Lance are young as well as didn't have a training camp. It's too early to tell if this will be an improvement off the bench with/without DJ, but also with the improvement out of the starting 5 the Pacers could get away with a weaker bench as well.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

They forked over $100 million+ in player contracts this offseason. Something tells me if they really wanted him, they would have kept him. The fans are upset, because they are New York fans, and that's what they do.
    It's not a matter of money. Nets became taxpayers with the Joe Johnson deal. They used their one and only exception (the $3 taxpayer MLE) on Teletovic. They didn't have Bird rights for Green, who was a D-League pickup last year. So the only contract they could offer is the vet minimum.

Nets fans are upset because they're scouting came up with a diamond in the rough, but their financial situation prevents them from keeping him.

Here's the thing from my perspective: I don't know if we got better or worse. Honestly, we haven't moved the needle much either way. It's just a lot of shaking up of a roster that had some success and seemed to get along great in the locker room, by all accounts. I get that we needed to make some moves and our bench bludgeoned us against Miami, but I don't see where long-term or short-term these moves make us a significantly better team. It just seems to be moves for the sake of making moves.
    I agree with this view. We're certainly different, but I'm not convinced we're better. On the other hand, tons of people would be complaining too if we'd just kept the old team and not made any additions. At some point, you just have to give the FO the benefit of the doubt and see how it plays out on the court. What's certainly obvious is that there's a new hand steering the wheel, with an entirely different vision of the bench at least. Got to see how it plays out.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dozen in one and 12 in the other.

I'm hoping there's a reason we did a S&T for an average backup big when we could have just signed one without losing assets. If the reason we did it was for DJ Augustin then.....

The Green signing I'm fine with, he's cheap and can contribute. But I certainly wouldn't call our bench significantly better than last year.

Our biggest problem was not having a shot creator. Still don't have one (unless Lance becomes that), and Augustin to me isn't the answer either. We got a backup big, I just don't see why it had to be via S&T when there were so many, including the one we got, to just outright sign.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    too early
    This. I'll also agree with daschysta that DC could have gotten us more. But let's see how everything plays out first.

Mood

Just realizing that this is our front office, and they will make decisions, some I like and some I don't like, but really only time will tell how they actually did decision wise.

Also I would like to say that most people are not worried about the signing of Green, or S&T for DJ (I am still hoping it is not involving a pick), but I think most really can not wrap their minds around the Collison/Jones trade.

I am assuming most, including myself, are underestimating Mahinmi's potential, but we can only go by what we see. Someone said he averages a double-double per 36, and he has the ability to play the 4 or the 5. Maybe he will turnout to be more than what I am expecting, but first he needs to focus on his fouling issues.

I wish him the best though as a Pacer.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Oh yeah, the good thing about Mahinmi is that if he can be atleast a decent backup his contract will not be bad, and should allow us to resign some of our core guys in the future.

Also when comparing D. Jones to Green, you are swapping defense for offense, and I do not think people are overrating D. Jones, the dude has consistently stuck in the league, and Gerald Green has consistently had a hard time staying out of the D-League. Green is still young and has potential, but I do not think it is a clear cut improvement or regression.
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Totally agree. Did anybody watch the playoffs this year? Plus, the team needs to get more athletic all the way around. We get killed by athletic teams.
    THIS!!!
    We have taken an absolute weakness of ours (athleticism) and made it into a strength. We now have the versatility to play big, or small, while always having enough athletic players to not get punished by the longer, athletic teams in the league. And we also shed salary, so we also have enough money to add another piece before we sign Roy and Hill (though we don't have all the time in the world to get those two locked up)

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Significantly worse. The Dallas trade will go down as one of the worst in Pacers franchise history.

The Green signing is the only thing I like.
    This is dumb. Two backups (one who hardly touched the floor) for another back up and the team is significantly worse & its the worst trade in Pacers history? This place is so damn bipolar its funny
    I Bleed Blue

I am glad that Augustin was one of the options because I was going to do a "write-in" vote. I think if we dont get him we will still need to get someone else at the PG spot, but DJ would be a def. upgrade over DC in our system. Green is nice and if we get DJ we will have improved IMO.
    FOLLOW ME: @WarnerSays

IU > Kentucky

Biggest PHILLIES PHAN in Indiana

“And as I go,I go with just a few words left to say,a few words I want to address to Colts fans everywhere, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart. I truly have enjoyed being your quarterback. Thank you.”
    - Peyton Manning

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

It looks likes the plan was to dump Collison and Jones to sign and trade for Augustine. Now that's not going to happen.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CreekShow View Post
    This is dumb. Two backups (one who hardly touched the floor) for another back up and the team is significantly worse & its the worst trade in Pacers history? This place is so damn bipolar its funny
    To be fair I think Shade was drunk .................................. or not?