Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Gerald Green to Pacers [bumped]

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Gerald Green to Pacers

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That is why I love it I am not sure if he will pan out but for those terms I am more than happy to find out.
    It's hard to be upset with a contract like that, and if he finally did "get it" (again, I am teeming with skepticism), and he pans out, then great for us. Otherwise...meh.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Great deal, great fit, great shooter/finisher, a little odd because iirc Bird was high on him. But he's mentally matured and should be a fantastic help/tutor to Lance on how he should never take his status as an NBA level talent for granted.

Most importantly, that bench that was so slow, so unathletic for the Pacers is suddenly one of the more explosive in the NBA, if Augustin/Lance/GG are the main attractions and Mahinmi/Plumlee off the bench...two virtual 7 footers, not much to not like.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    That is why I love it I am not sure if he will pan out but for those terms I am more than happy to find out.
    His deal is roughly 2 million cheaper than Danny Green's deal. At 2 million more over 3 seasons (less than a million per year), I'd rather have Danny Green.

Obviously ur not a golfer 5_7_Clash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Yeah, I've seen him play. He's an athletic freak with D+ basketball skills. He got minutes on a crappy team, put up numbers and made some highlight dunks. He will have a couple of "Holy ****!!!" moments, and a lot of "What the ****..." moments. Can he contribute on a winning team and play solid defense while not looking for the highlight play every time he gets the ball? I'm skeptical. Not totally upset with the contract, but I'm skeptical.
    I can see why you'd say that. That was his schtick when he came into the league. I think that's what people are talking about when they say he's turned the corner. His 31 games with NJ last season showed a much more balanced and well rounded game. A career year for him, in fact. I think there's way more upside to this than down.

Quote Originally Posted by 5_7_Clash View Post
    I can see why you'd say that. That was his schtick when he came into the league. I think that's what people are talking about when they say he's turned the corner. His 31 games with NJ last season showed a much more balanced and well rounded game. A career year for him, in fact. I think there's way more upside to this than down.
    Yeah, there really isn't any downside, which is why I'm not really upset with it. I have laid out why I am skeptical, and I hope that I'm wrong there. I'd love nothing more than for Green to pan out on a cheap contract.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

If it doesnt really work out, it's just D. Jones contract all over again really.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    Dahntay is not even close to Gerald Green. He can shoot the three and he is 6'8" and he is very athletic.....
    I never thought I'd agree with OlBlu (and I'm sure he'll soon change my mind), but Green is quite better than DJ, younger, more athletic, can hit the three, attacks the rim, has a series of usable moves, and will score a lot better and easier than DJ did. However, DJ's veteran leadership will be missed.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imbtyler For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    If it doesnt really work out, it's just D. Jones contract all over again really.
    And look where that contract got us..

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    His deal is roughly 2 million cheaper than Danny Green's deal. At 2 million more over 3 seasons (less than a million per year), I'd rather have Danny Green.
    Danny Green was a RFA. Spurs weren't likely to let him walk.

Can't complain. The contract is cheap.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    Holy hell, the article on this over at Nets Daily has had over 200 comments in 20 minutes.

Edit: 294 comments (and rising) in 25 minutes.
    753 comments in an hour. Damn.

Peter Vecsey ‏@PeterVecsey1
    Interesting how upset Bulls & Nets fans are losing Green. C's dumped him, So did Mavs after Carlisle told me how much he liked him.

I Believe In Gerald Green repole's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hey all, I'm new here. As a long time Gerald Green fan, I figure I may be able to help shed some light on what he can bring to the table.

I'd start by saying to put aside any doubts you might have about his work ethic/attitude/maturity. These were all issues early in his career, mainly due to an oversized ego and a situation in Boston that wasn't great for his development or growth. If there was a turning point in his career, it was getting cut by Houston, there's no doubt that moment really made him re-evaluate things. Most people will say he matured in Europe, but I think the early signs of him starting to get his act together were with the Mavs. He didn't shoot the ball, and thus ended up out of the rotation, and eventually out of the NBA, but from his time with the Mavs on he's worked tremendously hard and approached things with a refreshing attitude (especially compared to his attitude earlier in his career). With that said, I'll break down his game into some strengths and weaknesses for you guys.

Strengths:
    Spot up shooting - Stand him around the three point arc and he'll happily hit open jumpers all day. Don't think that he's just some athletic freak who doesn't know how to shoot the ball. He's a shooter first, and an athlete second.
    Scoring off screens - I don't see a lot of these types of plays called for him, but he shoots effectively off screens, and is also hard to stop when he comes off a screen and takes a few dribbles towards the basket.
    Post up game - This is where most of his hard work really shows. He's developed a really, really nice turnaround jumper out of the post up, as well as a nice jump stop into the lane where he impressively elevates above defenders to get his shot off.
    Attacking off one or two dribbles - Get him the ball in a position where he can get to the rim in one or two dribbles and he can really do some damage.
    Finishing in transition - This should be pretty self explanatory with his athleticism.
    Man to man defense - He uses his size and athleticism effectively to bother guys on defense. He's very active on that end now, though he does tend to commit some iffy fouls from time to time.

Weaknesses:
    Handling the ball - A couple dribbles and he's ok, but if you have him trying to break down defenders off the dribble he's going to commit some turnovers. Offensively he's more of a SF than SG.
    Creating for others - As an extension of the above weakness, he's rarely going to create shots for other guys. It's not that he's a black hole, he really isn't, and he's more than capable of keeping the ball moving within an offense, he just isn't very good at creating off the dribble and finding guys.
    Rebounding - This is sort of iffy. I think a lot of it is simply teams having him leak out early to get out on the break. When he crashes the glass he doesn't seem to have any issue using his athleticism and height to grab boards.
    Over helping on defense - He tends to leave his guy or sag too far off his man, leaving them more open then they should be for spot up shots. Hopefully coaches recognize this early and fix it.
    Drawing Fouls - This is probably the biggest complaint with him. You'd think with his athleticism he'd be a great slasher who gets to the rim and draws fouls. Unfortunately, in the half court, this really doesn't happen very often. His mediocre ball handling prevents him from getting to the rim at will, and he simply doesn't seem very good at drawing fouls when he gets there. Seems to use his athleticism more to avoid contact than to create it.
    Streaky - He's a shooter, and by virtue, he's a guy who's going to have cold spells and hot streaks. Don't get too down on him during the cold spells, or too high on him during the hot streaks.

All in all, he's a guy who can get you some points in a hurry and do so relatively efficiently in the right situations. He's a high energy player who isn't really going to hurt you any where on the court and should be a nice weapon off the bench as a scorer and guy who can change the flow of a game.

Random bonus fact that I'm sure a few of you know: He's missing his right ring finger on his shooting hand due to an accident he had as a kid while trying to dunk on a mini hoop. Might explain why he's not so great handling the ball, but pretty amazing considering that he's an NBA player and quality shooter.

A Gerald Green fan who now finds himself rooting for the Suns.

18. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to repole For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Last year per 36 mins, Green averaged 18.4 points on 48% shooting (39% from 3) with 5 boards, 1.3 steals, and 0.8 blocks per game. I would much rather have Green & Hill than Hill & DC.

In fact, I would be very happy with a theoretical DC & Jones for Ian & Green trade. We locked up 2/5th of our bench (very good pieces at that) for only $7 million.

It is also a (mild) good sign that Nets fans are so livid about losing him.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlavaDave For This Useful Post:

People are gonna really like Green he can score and defend. He's being way underated right now.

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Danny Green was a RFA. Spurs weren't likely to let him walk.
    I think if we gave him Mahinmi like money...Spurs might have had trouble accepting. They are pushed to LT as is right now..

Enjoying the Show BrownBearCoffee's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    People are gonna really like Green he can score and defend. He's being way underated right now.
    He really used his time overseas to learn how to play solid basketball. Very underrated on here, I agree.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrownBearCoffee For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Legion Sports ‏@MySportsLegion
    Really happy for Gerald Green, he turned a 10 day contract into $10 million dollars.

True Dat!

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    Legion Sports ‏@MySportsLegion
    Really happy for Gerald Green, he turned a 10 day contract into $10 million dollars.

True Dat!
    You could take that back a couple of steps and say he turned being a 1st round pick into a a 10 day contract too.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Does that mean we cant sign OJ Mayo anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    You could take that back a couple of steps and say he turned being a 1st round pick into a a 10 day contract too.
    And he worked his *** off to get from washout to back into the league.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by The Future View Post
    Does that mean we cant sign OJ Mayo anymore?
    I don't think we want to shell out what he's going to be signed for

34. The Following User Says Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBearCoffee View Post
    Very underrated on here, I agree.
    So many people have posted this that he has now become overrated on here. Congrats, guys. Really a team effort.

cdash doesn't like, but I bet you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    And he worked his *** off to get from washout to back into the league.
    Or he just kept playing basketball with his insane athletic gifts and was offered a chance by an NBA team going nowhere fast.

I don't buy that he suddenly "gets it" or that he even "worked his *** off" so much as he was humbled by the experience of having to go overseas. Is he really a better player, or did he catch lightning in a bottle? We shall see.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post: