Thread: Lets talk team chemistry

Default Lets talk team chemistry

I'll state right up front when we were talking about the team while at Perkins, I stated that we should win multiple championships in the next 3 or 4 seasons.

I still believe that. As long as we stay healthy this team should fulfill all our dreams.

I would like to take a moment to look at who we've replaced from last season and who we've added for next season.

Our starters are all returning but players 6 thru 14 have seen a major shakeup.

Tyler Hansbrough the poster child for smash mouth basketball has moved on. As has Jeff Pendergraph, DJ Augustine, Sam Young, Miles Plumlee, Gerald Green and Ben Hansbrough. The only two returning bench players are Ian Mahinmi and Orlando Johnson.

Brain Shaw has also moved on.

We've added a fine first round pick with Solomon Hill, free agents CJ Watson, Donald Sloan, Chris Copeland and traded for Luis Scola.

I also want to mention that Danny Granger "might" be back in the rotation following a lost season. Nate McMillan should be a fine addition to our bench, but we will bring a different skill set then what Shaw gave us.

Team chemistry, a major plus in our run through the playoffs, may take some time to reestablish.

I realize that most of the players we've replaced are end of the bench guys but they did make us a large part of the team. They practiced, traveled and played with the starting until for most if not all of the entire season. Individually they wouldn't have an impact on our team.... collectively, maybe they will.

We've upgraded almost every position since the end of the season. We've addressed weaknesses and become a much stronger, balanced team from players 6 thru (currently) 13.

How these new players mesh with our starters remains to be seen.

We need to see how Granger is incorporated back into the rotation?

Which players do you surround Scola with?

Can Watson take charge of our 2nd unit?

Does Stevenson play better with the starters or bringing him off the bench?

We'll be adding at least three new guys into the rotation with Granger, Scola and Watson. It should take them sometime to get on the same page but once they do..... damn its gonna be a blast!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Lets talk team chemistry

One thing all of the new elements to the team have in common, Granger included, is that by all accounts they are high IQ, high character players. That's no so much x's and o's basketball related like you're asking about but it is a fundamental start to good chemistry.

I am not particularly worried about this aspect from a locker room standpoint, and from a basketball standpoint I think it should be improved. Not just better players but more versatile skill sets that better compliment each other.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jukeb0xHero For This Useful Post:

I don't think we go 13 deep but if Granger is healthy we are very strong going 7 deep this season. I see Scola and Lance taking the lion's share of our bench minutes with Scola and West playing together some. I have no expections for our rookie, or Copeland and I expect mediocre play out of Ian and Watson but that's really all we need. I'm happy to go into this season as is.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I think it's a good question and something to watch. The biggest sticking point will be the Granger/Lance developments, but both of them have shown in the past the ability to adjust to the greater need of the team. So let's hope that's the way it pans out.

Also, Vogel has a more difficult challenge with chemistry going from sucky team on the rise to excellent team needing to keep the high standards. His job of promoting great team chemistry will be a big one. But he seems to have some skills in this area. Let's hope that he excels as well.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

I think at the least, we can't be as bad as last year, and we were pretty damn good last year.
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by Jukeb0xHero View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One thing all of the new elements to the team have in common, Granger included, is that by all accounts they are high IQ, high character players.
    +1 over and over. Larry's gotta have his '85-'86 team in the back of his mind.
    "I'd run through a brick wall for that man."
    - Roy Hibbert on playing for Coach Frank Vogel

The chemistry will be fine because Frank is doing a pretty good impression of Gregg Popovich. Set the ego aside and let all the A types on the team call some shots. Too many coaches are controlling (read: JOb) and do not allow the players to breath.

I think the on court chemistry should be fine since the starting players are all still here. We still have David West to be a leader for the starting unit and now we have veteran Luis Scola to be a leader for the second unit. That seems ideal to me.

Hopefully the new additions are all excited to be joining such a successful team. I'd expect them all to want to fit in, rather than trying to stand out. I'm sure they all understand how close this team is. And the fact that most of them signed as free agents helps too. They wanted to be here so they should be happy.

It may take a while to build off court chemistry. But that's up to the starters to address. They know what worked before, so if they want to keep that kind of culture than I'm sure they know how to do it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Mood

What a luxury we have that we are so deep that we have some conversation about who is going to start and who will lead the second unit. I still like Danny starting if healthy and Lance being the beast that he is on the second unit getting a good deal of minutes. I think we have the good makings to keep Danny fresh for the playoffs and not trying to put him for high 30's or 40+ minutes a game. Before I thought we needed to trade Danny to get quality bench players and Larry proved me wrong by going out and acquiring players that I thought was out of our league to get for our bench. Team chemistry should not be an issue with the Vets we have on our team now and people understanding their roles.