Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast
Results 501 to 525 of 551

Thread: Ian Mahinmi to Indiana

  1. #501
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    54
    Posts
    11,314

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ian Mahinmi to Indiana

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My biggest thing on Tyler is I don't know why he isn't getting better and actually getting worse. I'm really surprised by that.
    It happens all the time, it's called a sophomore slump. The "surprise" is that it happened during what should have been Tyler's third year.

    Some people are willing to give him a bit of a pass based on coaching issues/vertigo issues/play style change issues/whatever, and some are not. Personally, I feel like everything combined is worth giving him an extra year to see if he settles in, but I wouldn't mind seeing him go if someone else is willing to take the risk on that extra year and we get a piece like Augustin back by using Tyler as part of a deal.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  3. #502
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    54
    Posts
    11,314

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ian Mahinmi to Indiana

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When he pays like a starter, he'll be a starter.
    "playing like a starter" means different things to different teams. If there's no one ahead of him in the depth chart he is by definition playing like a starter.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  5. #503
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,451

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    If your goal is to be a starter by default, you won't have your job very long.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  6. #504
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    54
    Posts
    11,314

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ian Mahinmi to Indiana

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If your goal is to be a starter by default, you won't have your job very long.
    Doesn't always have to do with talent, has to do with style of play and style of coaching. Sure, a good all-rounder is going to be more likely to find starter's minutes, but that doesn't make the guys who play one way with the team playing another BAD, it just makes them a bad fit.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  8. #505
    Member BPump33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,831

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ian Mahinmi to Indiana

    I didn't say it was a talented logjam, just a logjam.

    Hibbert/IM/Plumlee
    West/Brand/Hans/JP
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:


  10. #506
    Well lubricated Skaut_Ech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: Ian Mahinmi to Indiana

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Because someone is available for trade doesn't mean you have a piece the other team wants to trade him for. Because someone is a UFA doesn't mean it is always right to sign him outright and hope you can balance your salary quickly if another opportunity comes up.

    It's not as easy as fans like to make it seem.
    Oh, I absolutely agree, Bill. I think that's a given that we may have not had the pieces needed. I was just thinking by way of comparision for what they gave/got for what we gave/got, especially when you look at their PG/SG situation.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

  11. #507
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,683

    Default Re: Ian Mahinmi to Indiana

    Quote Originally Posted by BPump33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That is a great article, so many very true insights on Collison as a player

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  13. #508
    Go Paytherth! rel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,817

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ian Mahinmi to Indiana

    http://www.indystar.com/article/2012.../1062/SPORTS04

    Glad to see IndyStar is putting out some top notch articles...

  14. #509

    Default Re: Ian Mahinmi to Indiana

    Can someone post Hollinger's ESPN Insider article on this trade? Thanks

  15. #510
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,683

    Default Re: Ian Mahinmi to Indiana

    Quote Originally Posted by Lurkster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can someone post Hollinger's ESPN Insider article on this trade? Thanks

    It is in this thread - back a few pages.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  17. #511
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,227

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ian Mahinmi to Indiana

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That is a great article, so many very true insights on Collison as a player
    Good read......this is on par with what DemonHunter1105 said earlier in the thread. I totally agree on both of their assessments.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  18. #512
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    3,936
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ian Mahinmi to Indiana

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    These are just examples of the far-too-often-used implication that all these players are somehow interchangeable and have no individual qualities or flaws that cause them to be desired/shied away from by other teams.

    You can't just say, "Hey, these guys traded X for Y who is a lot like the Z we had, we could have done the same deal!" Nor can you say "We should have just gone out and gotten deal A instead of doing deal B" as if deals were on a supermarket shelf and we simply grabbed the wrong one and threw it in the cart.

    It isn't even like these GMs are all on a big 30-way conference call playing games of Basketball Pit with one another ("Need a three! a three!" "Got a two! A two!"). Sometimes in a one-on-one call you get a "we can't do S but we can do T" and you don't have the luxury of saying "well, let me place calls to two or three other teams and see if some of these other players are available instead."

    Because someone is available for trade doesn't mean you have a piece the other team wants to trade him for. Because someone is a UFA doesn't mean it is always right to sign him outright and hope you can balance your salary quickly if another opportunity comes up.

    It's not as easy as fans like to make it seem.
    That is cool and all but that is not really what I said.

    I did not bring up this because it was something that happened before, this is just what I believe we could get. These guys seem to have enough value to be able to pull off a move like this with some team, I believe we could get a guy with a couple of years on a rookie contract that has some potential and also a future pick, although it most likely a 2nd.

    Also as far as the GM thing, their job is to work the phones, if a deal is not that spectacular then you have to come to a decision am I going to try to include another team, am I going to see what else I can get, if a GM is making decisions because of just pressure of losing a possible trade that is not too spectacular then I think he is doing his job incorrectly.

    Granted I do not think that is what generally happens, I think our GM thought this was a good deal so he pulled the trigger on it.
    Why so SERIOUS

  19. #513
    Member jdw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Roswell, NM
    Posts
    65

    Default Re: Ian Mahinmi to Indiana

    http://www.indystar.com/article/2012.../1062/SPORTS04

    Glad to see IndyStar is putting out some top notch articles...


    Little non-committal isn't it?
    Last edited by jdw; 07-12-2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: screwed up quote

  20. #514
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    3,936
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ian Mahinmi to Indiana

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    we can still go after Scola or Brand we currently have no backup 4. Now we have a backup 5 and the cap space to get a good backup 4 and a good backup pg.

    Bpump I dont think we even need a S&T(doubt anyone takes Tyler) pretty sure we still have almost 10m in cap room if we renounce Barbosa.
    We have about 8.75 mill if we renounce Lou and Barbosa, if we do a sign and trade and get rid of Tyler and bring on DJ for about 6 mill(just taking that from what I have heard) then that puts us at about 5.8 mill so yeah it would be do able.
    Why so SERIOUS

  21. #515
    Member Ragnar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,829

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ian Mahinmi to Indiana

    I really hate to see Collison going, we would not have won a single game against the Heat last year without him coming in and sparking the offense.

    We don't have a single real pg on the team now and that scares me big time.

  22. #516
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,816

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ian Mahinmi to Indiana

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really hate to see Collison going, we would not have won a single game against the Heat last year without him coming in and sparking the offense.

    We don't have a single real pg on the team now and that scares me big time.
    not sure I would call Collison a "real pg"

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


  24. #517
    Member TOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,854

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ian Mahinmi to Indiana

    Know what's fitting? Hibbert averaged 29.8mpg last season and Mahinmi averaged 18.7mpg. Combined it's essentially 48 minutes.

    If we combine their numbers from last season over 48 minutes(i'm going to ignore that extra half minute), this is what we'd get...

    48min 18.6pts 13.6rebs 2.5blk 1.9ast 51.0%fg 68.4%

    I'll take it if it were to work out that way. Obviously Mahinimi was playing with different players so that could completely alter his numbers playing along side an entirely different roster. Also, both are 25 and could still improve.

    I really do like this deal now that we have Augustin. Our 1-2 punch at center is pretty awesome if you ask me.

  25. #518
    Member eric1516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    116

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ian Mahinmi to Indiana

    Quote Originally Posted by rel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2012.../1062/SPORTS04

    Glad to see IndyStar is putting out some top notch articles...
    Here is the real link: http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...ike-the-trade/

    IndyStar does this all the time. I know websites can be tricky and we aren't a huge market but this is ridiculous. Couple this with the numerous grammatical errors that are in Well's articles and you wonder if the Star actually has any editors

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to eric1516 For This Useful Post:

    jdw

  27. #519
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Ian Mahinmi to Indiana

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who was offering us a pick for DC?
    Why should I assume he couldn't net us a 2nd round pick?

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  29. #520
    future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    11,824

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ian Mahinmi to Indiana

    Quote Originally Posted by eric1516 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here is the real link: http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...ike-the-trade/

    IndyStar does this all the time. I know websites can be tricky and we aren't a huge market but this is ridiculous. Couple this with the numerous grammatical errors that are in Well's articles and you wonder if the Star actually has any editors
    No editors on the blogs. They're actual blogs in the truest sense.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  31. #521
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Ian Mahinmi to Indiana

    Quote Originally Posted by eric1516 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here is the real link: http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...ike-the-trade/

    IndyStar does this all the time. I know websites can be tricky and we aren't a huge market but this is ridiculous. Couple this with the numerous grammatical errors that are in Well's articles and you wonder if the Star actually has any editors
    That's just a blog; not a true article.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  33. #522

    Default Re: Ian Mahinmi to Indiana

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In a completely ironic fashion I am going to say "Croshere?"
    Croshere would take issue with your irony.

  34. #523

    Default Re: Ian Mahinmi to Indiana

    This is a head scratching move to be kind, I would have at least held on to Collison until a good offer came through. It wasn't like there was a dying need to get rid of him. This is not what I expected from a Walsh/Pritchard front office.

  35. #524
    future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    11,824

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ian Mahinmi to Indiana

    Quote Originally Posted by eldubious View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is a head scratching move to be kind, I would have at least held on to Collison until a good offer came through. It wasn't like there was a dying need to get rid of him. This is not what I expected from a Walsh/Pritchard front office.
    After sleeping on it and thinking about it, look at all the PGs around the league that're better than DC if not at least on the same tier, a lot of them easily attainable. This isn't 1995 anymore, there's just too many good point guards around now for DC to have much of a market worth anything.

  36. #525
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,846

    Default Re: Ian Mahinmi to Indiana

    If there ever was any question, the Pacers spoke very loudly on how much they value DC vs Hill. I always wondered why there was so much support for DC. Anyway, as I stated earlier to some people's surprise, DC is a legitimate starting PG. But he's one of the worst in the league. Doesn't make him a bad player, just not the PG you would ever want on a contender. Hill isn't that much better but with some seasoning he might be a Derek Fisher level guy...

Similar Threads

  1. Dahntay and DC for Mahinmi?
    By Sandman21 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-11-2012, 08:50 PM
  2. Ian Mahinmi
    By MaHa3000 in forum Trade Proposals
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-04-2011, 07:34 PM
  3. Source: Mavericks, center Ian Mahinmi agree to two-year deal [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-12-2010, 03:50 PM
  4. Spurs exercise third-year option on Ian Mahinmi [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-29-2008, 06:30 PM
  5. Spurs sign '05 first-round pick, French PF Mahinmi [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2007, 12:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •