Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Ian Mahinmi to Indiana

Default Re: Ian Mahinmi to Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dahntay's contract would be going away anyways, and DC it only matters if he does not sign an extension. Honestly DC was going to get traded at some point anyways, it really did not matter, we could have waited and traded him if we felt, I am sure we would get some other offers, and if not we could come back to this one, it was the first day of the signing period.

Every year numerous teams PG's get injured. They in return look to find a replacement. This is where DC would have a more stronger value than currently. In this regard, keeping DC makes more sense than trading him for Mahinmi when the Pacers could have just outright signed Mahinmi.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
    if we signed mahinmi outright, we still would have had to pay 5.2 mil for DC and DJ's salaries, in addition to the 4 mil for mahinmi. that's a reduction of our cap space by 4 mil.

this trade sends out 5.2 mil while bringing in only 4. adding 3 from green's deal means that our cap space is only reduced by 1.8 mil.
    But that did not have to be the end...

There had to be other options available as well. We could have packaged them for a guy on a rookie contract and a future pick, I mean these are two expiring low cost players, it is not as if they have bad contracts or anything, and to me both can play quality minutes, DC might even end up starting for the Mavs this season.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Every year numerous teams PG's get injured. They in return look to find a replacement. This is where DC would have a more stronger value than currently. In this regard, keeping DC makes more sense than trading him for Mahinmi when the Pacers could have just outright signed Mahinmi.
    Or not signed him and made a play at someone else lie Brand or Scola, not saying one is way much better than the other at this moment, but thing is we had many options I would have to believe.
    Why so SERIOUS

Would we have enough cap space to put in a winning bid on Brand and still complete a S&T for Augustin (and losing Tyler)?
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Or not signed him and made a play at someone else lie Brand or Scola, not saying one is way much better than the other at this moment, but thing is we had many options I would have to believe.
    we can still go after Scola or Brand we currently have no backup 4. Now we have a backup 5 and the cap space to get a good backup 4 and a good backup pg.

Bpump I dont think we even need a S&T(doubt anyone takes Tyler) pretty sure we still have almost 10m in cap room if we renounce Barbosa.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    It really depends on what other moves they make. If they had signed Mahinmi outright, they would have 6-7 million in space left. Now they have 10-12. If the Pacers don't use that extra space, then it's definitely bad. If they do use it, then the players acquired with that extra space will have to be compared to DC and Jones. We already know they plan to use 3 or so million on Green.

P4E, But we would have a major logjam at the 4/5 (if we got Brand or Scoloa). Surely CHA would rather have Hansbrough (for merchandise/ticket purposes) as opposed to losing DJ for nothing. Maybe not, though.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Don't single out ESPN--all the national media outlets have poked fun at the Plumlee pick and the Collison trade.
    The SI article didn't seem to be poking fun at anyone about the Collison trade.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BPump33 View Post
    Would we have enough cap space to put in a winning bid on Brand and still complete a S&T for Augustin (and losing Tyler)?
    If the numbers that were being thrown around last night we would, easily. The wild card is if other teams are going after Brand, other than the Mavs.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post
    What REALLY bothers me is seeing Gustavo Ayon going to Orlando for Ryan Anderson. THAT is a guy I can see really fitting in here and considering what Orlando gave up for him, we could have matched that easily.
    We could have packaged them for a guy on a rookie contract and a future pick,
    These are just examples of the far-too-often-used implication that all these players are somehow interchangeable and have no individual qualities or flaws that cause them to be desired/shied away from by other teams.

You can't just say, "Hey, these guys traded X for Y who is a lot like the Z we had, we could have done the same deal!" Nor can you say "We should have just gone out and gotten deal A instead of doing deal B" as if deals were on a supermarket shelf and we simply grabbed the wrong one and threw it in the cart.

It isn't even like these GMs are all on a big 30-way conference call playing games of Basketball Pit with one another ("Need a three! a three!" "Got a two! A two!"). Sometimes in a one-on-one call you get a "we can't do S but we can do T" and you don't have the luxury of saying "well, let me place calls to two or three other teams and see if some of these other players are available instead."

Because someone is available for trade doesn't mean you have a piece the other team wants to trade him for. Because someone is a UFA doesn't mean it is always right to sign him outright and hope you can balance your salary quickly if another opportunity comes up.

It's not as easy as fans like to make it seem.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BPump33 View Post
    P4E, But we would have a major logjam at the 4/5 (if we got Brand or Scoloa). Surely CHA would rather have Hansbrough (for merchandise/ticket purposes) as opposed to losing DJ for nothing. Maybe not, though.
    Major log jam currently we have no backup 4 besides Ian (who would get in foul trouble if he is the primary guy IMO) and I guess Plumlee (dont think he will be near ready cant count on him at all as a rookie I hope he proves me wrong I still say he cant play but please Plum prove me wrong)

and Pendy hate to say it I was wrong about the dude I loved him coming out of Ariz St but the injury plus his lack of development he cant be counted on for anything)

Tyler wont be in the league after next year(unless he stops acting like a robot on overdrive he plays way to fast and out of control) I don't think people realize how bad he is. Charlotte may take him to sell tickets but would he sell enough tixs to pay his contract?

I think bidding high on Scola and adding a pg at a lower cost maybe Felton would make us a lot better than DJ alone.(I love the guy but getting another big who can efficiently score and rebound off the bench we need more than just DJ). Plus insurance if Dwest leaves we would have his replacement in Scola on a nice deal.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
    if we signed mahinmi outright, we still would have had to pay 5.2 mil for DC and DJ's salaries, in addition to the 4 mil for mahinmi. that's a reduction of our cap space by 4 mil.

this trade sends out 5.2 mil while bringing in only 4. adding 3 from green's deal means that our cap space is only reduced by 1.8 mil.
    Yup. The savings isn't $1.2m, it's DC and D Jones whole $5.2m salary. Apparently we liked Mahinmi at $4m and would have signed him for that much in any case, whatever happens with DC. No idea why TPTB chose to dress it up as an S&T, when it clearly could have been 2 independent transactions.

So what really happened is that we signed Mahinmi for $4m and we traded DC and D Jones for $5.2m of cap space. I think most consider the first part to be a reasonable; it's the second part that people have problems with. Could we have gotten a draft pick in a salary dump? It's possible, if we waited for the right team, right situation etc. But pending FA moves possibly meant that we can't wait around for the right deal to pop up. We'll see, in this case the evaluation of this trade does depend on what other moves we make.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Our new backup C is Superfly at least.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PritchSlap For This Useful Post:

Don't know if anyone posted this tweet from Dahntay:

Indiana is definitely a place I will always remember. Happy to see my guys @StephensonLance and @King24George grow into great players &men

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Tyler wont be in the league after next year(unless he stops acting like a robot on overdrive he plays way to fast and out of control) I don't think people realize how bad he is. Charlotte may take him to sell tickets but would he sell enough tixs to pay his contract?
    All people do on here is badmouth the guy, but you don't think they realize how bad he is?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    These are just examples of the far-too-often-used implication that all these players are somehow interchangeable and have no individual qualities or flaws that cause them to be desired/shied away from by other teams.

You can't just say, "Hey, these guys traded X for Y who is a lot like the Z we had, we could have done the same deal!" Nor can you say "We should have just gone out and gotten deal A instead of doing deal B" as if deals were on a supermarket shelf and we simply grabbed the wrong one and threw it in the cart.

It isn't even like these GMs are all on a big 30-way conference call playing games of Basketball Pit with one another ("Need a three! a three!" "Got a two! A two!"). Sometimes in a one-on-one call you get a "we can't do S but we can do T" and you don't have the luxury of saying "well, let me place calls to two or three other teams and see if some of these other players are available instead."

Because someone is available for trade doesn't mean you have a piece the other team wants to trade him for. Because someone is a UFA doesn't mean it is always right to sign him outright and hope you can balance your salary quickly if another opportunity comes up.

It's not as easy as fans like to make it seem.
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Mood

i remember when the Spurs drafted Mahinmi him walking out with a large fro and the Spurs hat proped on top of the fro.

My biggest thing on Tyler is I don't know why he isn't getting better and actually getting worse. I'm really surprised by that.

Any chance DC wanted out and requested a trade behind closed doors?

I believe this is a contract year for him, so it makes sense that he would want to be a starter rather than come off the bench. Plus, after seeing the contract Hill just got, I'm sure he saw the writing on the wall and realized that he probably wouldn't get another with the Pacers.

Perhaps he requested a trade and the mavs were on his wish list, so TPTB decided to seek a deal with one of the teams he requested to avoid a distraction/negative publicity.

Otherwise, it appears we got hosed by Dallas. We got a decent role player, but I feel like we should have been able to get more for Collison

Why would DC want out? Is there a backup PG position on another NBA team that he wanted more?

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00 View Post
    i remember when the Spurs drafted Mahinmi him walking out with a large fro and the Spurs hat proped on top of the fro.
    So you're saying Darnell Hillman may have had something to do with forcing this trade through?
    BillS

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Why would DC want out? Is there a backup PG position on another NBA team that he wanted more?
    He wants to start.

Dallas lost Kid, is there anyone else they have right now that would challenge DC for the starting spot?

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    He said he wanted to start and was not happy with been a bench player.

When he pays like a starter, he'll be a starter.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    He wants to start.

Dallas lost Kid, is there anyone else they have right now that would challenge DC for the starting spot?
    The french point guard could start.