Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Ian Mahinmi to Indiana

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Default Re: Ian Mahinmi to Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by GizzyStardust View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This smacks of a Walsh trade. MagicRat is spot on. Reminds me of Dale Davis for JO, as well.
    I wasn't on message boards way back then.

What was the general reaction when that went down? Complete and utter madness with threats of bodily harm I assume.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

What was the general reaction when that went down? Complete and utter madness with threats of bodily harm I assume.
    Most people I remember were ok with the JO for DD trade, cause that team was breaking up anyway.

This trade is completely different, cause if Mahinmi is 10% of the player JO was, they'd be getting a steal, but he's not. At best he may be a decent player that would start when/if West leaves after the season, and be a defensive big next to Hibbert, but I just don't see it. The Pacers got desperate to get rid of Jones, and gave Collison away as a result, not saying DC would get a ton, but for nothing, not even a pick, that's kind of sad.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I take a day break then all this goes down. WTF are the Pacers doing?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Same here, I found this though. Blazer fans giving their reaction. Fun read.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=618

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ApNeDtRiEeW For This Useful Post:

reading this thread is a pretty sh**tty way to start my day...good god.
    Thank you Jeff.

The Pacers already told us that we drafted our backup Center? Drafter's remorse???

If we miss on Augustine who else is better than Collison that's left?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    The Pacers already told us that we drafted our backup Center? Drafter's remorse???

If we miss on Augustine who else is better than Collison that's left?
    Well, if we wanted a Collison replacement we could always go for Aaron Brooks.

Or CJ Watson would make me happy if we whiff on Augustin.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

i was in my early teens then, and i was incredulous...i think i almost cried...

Are we aiming on Ramon Sessions or Aaron Brooks?

This makes total sense to me. I like Collison quite a bit, but we are fooling ourselves if we think he would stay here long-term as a backup and we could pay him what we want. I think we specifically targeted Mahinmi. Honestly, there isn't a team out there desperate for a mediocre to good backup guard with big holes in his game to be their starter or at least be given starter money. I am not knocking Collison but there are a lot better guards out there in the league at the moment. I think his best fit is on a contending team behind a slower paced vet that starts or on a rebuilding team as the starting point. The first group didn't have what we wanted or was unwilling to part with it to get Collison since they probably don't need him that badly. The second group would be willing to move assets around, but they would probably much rather draft and scout their own young players that have the potential to be better than Collison since it doesn't appear he has that much more untapped potential. Plus the assets we would want from them, they would probably be unwilling to part with anyway.

By targeting Mahinmi, we found a team that was willing to give up a specific player we wanted. He is still young, athletic, and has more room to grow especially with West and Hibbs to learn from. His deal is very nice in terms of length and #s for a backup big that could become a starter in the future. He is much more valuable to our future than he was to Dallas, and the same can be said for Collison/Jones being more valuable to Dallas' last hurrah. If DC had 3-4 years left on his rookie deal then it would be slightly odd to make the deal but the timing of this one makes sense since we were going to lose him no matter what. The addition of Jones doesn't bother me one bit. He may have developed his role well this year, but he is still easily replaceable and PG and Green can easily replace all production and then some that he provided.

I had a love/hate thing with Djones first with his emphatic dunks(love), to his attempts to be Kobe(hate), to his sideline antics(love), and his many 3 pt attempts before he could make any(hate). I have leveled off in my view towards him now but I can say he contributed to the team and community quite a bit. It is hard to knock a guy like him at all when there are so many knuckle heads in the league. As far as DC, I loved the acquisition at first. Then he slowly showed me didn't have what it took to be the starter on our team at least with the way we tried to work through Danny/Roy/West. He seemed to have trouble running the offense much of the time but made up for it with his athletic ability and shooting touch.

I did like DC enough to get his jersey though, and I do not regret it like I do with some players so that is saying something haha.

Overall, the trade seems good to me and I look forward to seeing Mahinmi suit up!

13. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DemonHunter1105 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    Are we aiming on Ramon Sessions or Aaron Brooks?
    Not so sure about those two but, I wouldn't be surprised if Lance is backing up Hill at the beginning of the season. It's his 3rd season and he has showed skills to warrant a spot in the rotation. However the nba is loaded with pgs right now so I think any FA is possible now.
    I'm a Beast

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulGeorge For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by habart30 View Post
    Collison and Jones were not long term options for us anyway. Although it was smart to ship them out I believe waiting until the end of Free Agency this year might have been smarter. Teams that miss out FA's might have gave up more to get a guy like Collison. It's also possible part of this trade was panic mode after seeing what Plumlee's bum *** is doing in summer league.

1.) I have actually been encouraged by Plumlee thus far.

2.) He has played exactly 2 summer league games. If thats all it takes for this FO to panic, Miles Plumlee and Ian mahinmi should be the least of our concerns.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

@ianmahinmi

This dude is easily the most stylish guy on the team now. Here's to hoping we don't actually see him in a flashy suit very often.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

this has to be a joke right. i'm trying my best to understand this move but i just can't. just terrible.

We have about 8 mil in cap space left. 10 mil if we include Hans in a sign and trade. Our backup wingmen are Green, who is just now reaching potential,and Johnson, a 2nd round rookie. It looks like we need a back up SG who can also play as a 3rd string point guard if Lance is the main backup next season.

You guys do know all of the fanmade trade suggestions like DC + Hans + 1st rd pick netting us a star/high quality starter with low salary were fanmade right?

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DemonHunter1105 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Well, if we wanted a Collison replacement we could always go for Aaron Brooks.

Or CJ Watson would make me happy if we whiff on Augustin.
    I also think that Felton is still available.

My thought is that if we are patient.....the Pacers can get either Augustin, Felton or CJ Watson at a reasonable price as a quality pseudo-Backup-Starting Quality PG.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ian Mahinmi ‏@ianmahinmi
    Hey #PacerNation I'm very excited to start a new journey with indy, looking forward to get to work!!!thanks for the warm welcome pacer fans!

25. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Hypnotiq For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

I'm not a big fan of DC, he was ok when he tried hard on D, but he has terrible court vision and I felt that hurt us more than helped us when he was on the court. He is a great scorer when he decides to be aggressive and look for his shot, but his whole tenure here in Indiana it seemed he was trying to be a player he isn't.. a facilitator. I'm glad we could trade him for someone useful (hopefully).

I'm more sad to see DJones go, I really like him and he was our toughest back court player. He has been one of my favorite players on the team since the infamous 5 game win streak during the dark times.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

reading what people are saying on mavs forums made me more depressed. i didn't think it was possible btw. we gave dc and jones for mahinmi. i mean were we this desperate?

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

With regards to DC though - he had made it clear end of the season that he doesn't sees himself as a bench player - he wants to be a starter - at the end of the season he managed to stick it out and play it through for the big picture but I had serious doubts how he would've handled coming off the bench again this year. I think it was wise to move DC - however I'm not sure if this was the best you could've gotten for him.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    Ian Mahinmi ‏@ianmahinmi
    Hey #PacerNation I'm very excited to start a new journey with indy, looking forward to get to work!!!thanks for the warm welcome pacer fans!
    To be fair...on PD...it's been a lukewarm welcome by most.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I liked his defense in the Finals last year, although I think LeBron dunked one right on his head once. Don't mind the trade at all. I really like DC but for whatever reason it never clicked in Indy with him. Absolutely wish him the best in Dallas.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

I was mad at first, but now I'm really starting to like the moves the Pacers made today for the following reasons:

* Salary dump, we weren't going to pay DC so we turned him into what a solid backup big
    * Ian Mahinmi I think is going to be a great backup big. I'm excited. Very athletic, has good per 36 numbers, has grown a lot and I think this season is his big breakout season
    * this team has desperately needed a legit backup SF. Gerald Green is definitely that. And one more super athletic player at that. If he can play solid D, rebound and hit open threes we'll love him
    * The Pacers just saved money yet have two legit front court players here for the next 3 to 4 years. That is great news!
    * Both Green and Mahinmi both have a chance to really become major contributors to a winning ball club.

After doing a little research on Ian Mahinmi I really do think this is going to work out for the Pacers. I think they're going to be big, physical and athletic.

The Pacers have also become a much better shooting team this season as well. Orlando Johnson and Gerald Green have replaced DC and Jones, two guys who had to pick their spots carefully on the perimeter. Folks this is going to be good. Real good.

The only thing the Pacers need to be worried about is a backup point, but as Free agency has just begun, I don't think it is time to worry yet.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

34. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Anybody know where i can find this guy's measurements? (i know twss)