Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: NBA.com: Lance Stephenson Still Learning

  1. #1
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,655

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default NBA.com: Lance Stephenson Still Learning

    I think this deserved it's own thread because it interesting to find confirmation from the team that they are actively looking at Lance to play primarily at PG and take over Barbossa's role.

    Quote Originally Posted by SekouSmith
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So now entering what could be a make-or-break (non-guaranteed contract) year, Stephenson is back at the Air Tran Orlando Pro Summer League to prove that he should stick around and made a statement with 28 points and seven assists in a win over the Thunder. “I’m here to do anything I can to get better as a player and help my team,” Stephenson said. “I’m working on pick-and-rolls, coming off and hitting my jump shot and trying to get my teammates involved. “What the coaches have told me is they want me to be more like a point guard, be a leader and take control of situations.”
    http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/0...till-learning/

  2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,617

    Default Re: NBA.com: Lance Stephenson Still Learning

    “What the coaches have told me is they want me to be more like a point guard, be a leader and take control of situations.”

    So yet again the Pacers think Lance can and will run the point

    I still say he is a better floor general than Hill/DC
    Sittin on top of the world!

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    thx4tehmRys Danny! daschysta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geist, Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,958
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA.com: Lance Stephenson Still Learning

    I hope he is, noone will be angry if Lance passed them up somehow, we desperately need a guy with his playmaking upside to make good on it.

  6. #4
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,752

    Default Re: NBA.com: Lance Stephenson Still Learning

    More importantly, do we trust Lance enough not to resign Barbosa in case we miss out on Mayo and Lee?

  7. #5
    Parachromis HC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hartford City
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,805
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA.com: Lance Stephenson Still Learning

    I hope he can become a starting caliber pg. Then Hill can slide over to the two and we are set.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

  8. #6
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,617

    Default Re: NBA.com: Lance Stephenson Still Learning

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    More importantly, do we trust Lance enough not to resign Barbosa in case we miss out on Mayo and Lee?
    Very good question

    I guess it depends on what those guys would cost. I would like to see us add Mayo and move DC for a big

    I think Mayo and Lance could handle back up PG
    Sittin on top of the world!

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,285
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA.com: Lance Stephenson Still Learning

    I still think he will have a breakout year, and I see him as our future point guard. Before you all crucify me, hear me out: He is 21. He has the raw talent. He is (arguably) the hardest worker on the team. All he needs are some coaches that believe in him, and he does.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    6,400

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA.com: Lance Stephenson Still Learning

    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still think he will have a breakout year, and I see him as our future point guard. Before you all crucify me, hear me out: He is 21. He has the raw talent. He is (arguably) the hardest worker on the team. All he needs are some coaches that believe in him, and he does.
    It's not COMPLETELY out of question, but he still needs to show his talent within the games that COUNT and not summer league against rookies, and undrafted FA's. The talent is and drive are DEFINITELY there; but I'm not counting on him being anything but the bench warmer he has been since he entered the league until he proves otherwise against the big boys.

  13. #9
    Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,799

    Default Re: NBA.com: Lance Stephenson Still Learning

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    More importantly, do we trust Lance enough not to resign Barbosa in case we miss out on Mayo and Lee?
    Maybe he's the reason we're not hearing about as much aggression in the pursuit of Mayo and Lee.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NapTonius Monk For This Useful Post:


  15. #10
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,285
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA.com: Lance Stephenson Still Learning

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not COMPLETELY out of question, but he still needs to show his talent within the games that COUNT and not summer league against rookies, and undrafted FA's. The talent is and drive are DEFINITELY there; but I'm not counting on him being anything but the bench warmer he has been since he entered the league until he proves otherwise against the big boys.
    Which is why I said I think he will have a breakout year. I think he will push DC onto the block. We will see.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  16. #11
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,216

    Default Re: NBA.com: Lance Stephenson Still Learning

    Quote Originally Posted by HC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope he can become a starting caliber pg. Then Hill can slide over to the two and we are set.
    Paul George to the bench?
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  17. #12
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,216

    Default Re: NBA.com: Lance Stephenson Still Learning

    “What the coaches have told me is they want me to be more like a point guard, be a leader and take control of situations.”
    Well, this makes it clear TPTB want him to be a point guard, not a two. That's news, or at least a clarifier.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  18. #13
    Obviously ur not a golfer 5_7_Clash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    333

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA.com: Lance Stephenson Still Learning

    I am certainly encouraged by the improvement his game has shown. It's been slow but steady. He seems to be maturing emotionally and mentally, too. For some reason, though, I still have question marks. Don't get me wrong. I'm rooting for Lance and fully believe in the time and resources we're putting into him. I just hope it isn't two or three years from now and we're still saying "Well, he seems to be learning and improving...".

  19. #14
    Member WhoLovesYaBaby?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    625
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA.com: Lance Stephenson Still Learning

    Lance isn't a better anything than Hill or DC, if he was, he would be starting and we would be seeing those other guys in summer league.

    But I am hoping Lance does something this year. He has skills. He has abilities. It seems to me that most of his problems are in his head.

  20. #15
    Member adamscb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Age
    23
    Posts
    602

    Default Re: NBA.com: Lance Stephenson Still Learning

    what i see with lance is someone trying to do too much on the basketball court. if he would slow down, let the game come to him, he'd be a better player.
    Last edited by adamscb; 07-11-2012 at 12:17 PM.

  21. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,667

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA.com: Lance Stephenson Still Learning

    Quote Originally Posted by adamscb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    what i see with lance is someone trying to do too much on the basketball court. if he would slow down, let the game come to him, he'd be a better player.
    Well... that's a bit difficult from the PG position.

    But, with regards to "Lance Stephenson Still Learning", I sure as hell hope he gets his diploma soon. Very, very soon.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:


  23. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA.com: Lance Stephenson Still Learning

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Paul George to the bench?
    No. Hill would just become the sixth man at PG and SG. Paul George is not going to the bench......

  24. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA.com: Lance Stephenson Still Learning

    Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well... that's a bit difficult from the PG position.

    But, with regards to "Lance Stephenson Still Learning", I sure as hell hope he gets his diploma soon. Very, very soon.
    He is young and he hasn't gotten much playing time. Why wouldn't he still be learning?

  25. #19
    CA Pacer Fan A-Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,281

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA.com: Lance Stephenson Still Learning

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Paul George to the bench?
    No, George will move to SF after Granger is traded for [insert star here].


  26. #20
    CA Pacer Fan A-Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,281

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA.com: Lance Stephenson Still Learning

    I think it's possible to "let the game come to you" as a PG. That doesn't have to mean that you're standing around waiting for the ball to be passed to you. I take it to mean that you take what the game gives you, you pick your spots and don't force things that aren't there.

    Lance could certainly do all those things as the PG.

  27. #21
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,829

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA.com: Lance Stephenson Still Learning

    I'd love to see Stephenson focus on nothing but facilitating offense. No shooting. Just stirring the pot, setting things in motion, penetrating zones, making passes, finding open guys -- nothing but setting people up. I think he could have a tremendous career doing that. Right now he focuses a lot on scoring... which is okay I guess, but doesn't set him apart from everyone else. If he focused on passing and penetrating and setting people up, he could be Rondo-like... truly unique. No one in the league could deal with a guy with his size doing something like that at the PG position, nobody... and he'd go from riding the pine to being a true star-quality play-maker.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:


  29. #22
    Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,799

    Default Re: NBA.com: Lance Stephenson Still Learning

    Quote Originally Posted by WhoLovesYaBaby? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lance isn't a better anything than Hill or DC, if he was, he would be starting and we would be seeing those other guys in summer league.
    That is really an oversimplification of the current situation. He's clearly a better passer than either DC or Hill. That doesn't mean he's a better fit, or that he's ready for bigger minutes than either of those 2. He's been out of control at times, but let's not deny the man has talent.
    Last edited by NapTonius Monk; 07-11-2012 at 04:06 PM.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to NapTonius Monk For This Useful Post:


  31. #23
    Come Home Lance! BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,997

    Default Re: NBA.com: Lance Stephenson Still Learning

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, this makes it clear TPTB want him to be a point guard, not a two. That's news, or at least a clarifier.
    I have been quite surprised by how many people here think Lance's position is the 2. Sure it's possible for him to play that position. But it couldn't be more clear where his potential resides...

Similar Threads

  1. Lance Stephenson Arrested... Again
    By Steagles in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-01-2012, 01:35 AM
  2. Is Lance Stephenson a PG?
    By BlueNGold in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-07-2012, 10:25 AM
  3. Lance Stephenson's Potential?
    By The Future in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-02-2011, 01:27 AM
  4. Lance Stephenson Interview
    By silverbax in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-22-2010, 06:36 PM
  5. The Lance Stephenson Show [PD]
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-06-2010, 04:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •