Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colts will black out if not sold out.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Colts will black out if not sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anybody still like Jim Irsay? The guy just does not care about the city the team plays in. It's why I always get so defensive when people criticize the Simon ownership of the Pacers. I wish Irsay could take a page or two from their book.
    I still like Jim Irsay, but then again... I probably know of many, many more things this man has done for Indy behind the scenes than most of you. To say that he doesn't care deeply for his adopted city is more than a wee bit misguided.

If I might suggest, try a little to separate his primary business (Colts) from his other pursuits.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    I still like Jim Irsay, but then again... I probably know of many, many more things this man has done for Indy behind the scenes than most of you. To say that he doesn't care deeply for his adopted city is more than a wee bit misguided.

If I might suggest, try a little to separate his primary business (Colts) from his other pursuits.
    I don't care what else he does. He is a liar. He said all season Peyton would be back until the day after season ticket sales ended. Then Peyton was dropped like a hot rock. He made those moves to put big dollars in his pocket, not compete to get to a Super Bowl. Think about the millions of dollars of salary he dumped to be replaced by minimum deals. All of that money went right in Jimmy's pocket....

Think peeps are a LITTLE bit hysterical. I would be shocked if any game was actually blacked out.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Think peeps are a LITTLE bit hysterical. I would be shocked if any game was actually blacked out.
    Get back to me after they lose their first eight games by huge numbers........ Even people who have tickets will stay at home. It will be back to what it used to be when if you got caught for speeding around 465, they gave you a ticket to a Colts games. If you got stopped a second time, they made you go...... "Lord help our Colts" they are certainly going to need it......

The games are almost 98% sold out with months to go until the first game. Probably a non-issue.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to btowncolt For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post

If you are going to stand up for him in this way give us some examples please. This post holds little merit without them.

You guys realize they've already sold 96% of the tickets, and everything over that 85% number for every game they have to share revenue with the visiting team, right? They're already 11% over that threshold. He has to share a high enough revenue that it will equal 1-2 million per game. So essentially he is giving away 10-16 million if he doesn't do this.

The fact of the matter is, if he bought the tickets himself or found a company (Eli Lilly) who would buy those tickets at an extreme discount he would lose a fraction of that 10-16 million in doing so.

There won't be blackouts, and this is a big stink over nothing. He's saving himself millions of dollars. One Luck signs and camp starts there will be a surge of buying tickets. The Colts know they won't black anything out. Chill people, chill.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Mood

Grow the hell up.

If you're wondering if I mean you, then yes I mean you.

I realize I'm being more blunt than I probably should be, but I just don't have tolerance for such pettiness anymore.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Holy moo cow, what happened here?

I'm guessing that was ugly considering Hicks response! Wow.

The reason people are taking this seriously and getting upset is because Colts games were blacked out back in the pre-Manning days and even at times early in his career. So it's not like it's some unheard of thing around here.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    The reason people are taking this seriously and getting upset is because Colts games were blacked out back in the pre-Manning days and even at times early in his career. So it's not like it's some unheard of thing around here.
    There was a two year honeymoon when they got off the Mayflower, then they had far more blackouts from '86-'98 than televised games. The empty Hoosier Dome really screwed up television viewing patterns of NFL fans that had established allegiances to other teams. Thank God the Sunday Ticket came along in '94, and I've been a subscriber whether living in Indy or here since '95 to watch the Steelers, because those blackout Sundays were brutal. That's why the idea of a larger stadium, after Manning is gone, was always a questionable political/ business decision. Even when Harbaugh and Dickerson before him were leading the Colts to the playoffs, it was easy to walk up to the box office on game day and get a good seat for a game that was blacked out locally. It took a once-in-history QB to fill the stadium consistently, and I still think the franchise is back in LA during Jim Irsay's lifetime. To me, the question is whether the Irsay family gets the Rams name back after trading it away all those years ago.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

I gotta give it to you Chicago J... You pretty much called this a while ago. But in my defense, THIS is NOT how I pictured the Manning era ending. I didn't picture a large percentage of bandwagon fans with little understanding of the NFL business model being disenfranchised with the team like this.

I saw Manning playing out his career and riding into the sunset as a Colt. Possibly returning to the team in some coaching or management capacity. Certainly hanging around as an ambassador or sorts. Maybe with a declining career, or maybe we a re-invented team giving him one last Super Bowl run and retiring at or near the top. All with a bridge into the next Colts' era.

But it wasn't to be.... Instead, there's a sizable chunk of the fanbase that think Manning got shafted and that think Irsay is the devil for doing it.

That's why I said, for the Colts, it's probably best if Manning's Bronco career either never gets off the ground or is quickly grounded due to lingering effects of his injury and surgery. At least that he be an obvious shadow of his former self. If he comes out looking like a league MVP then many bandwagon Colts fans are just not going to get it. It will just fuel their anger further. The more he sustains that, the worse it will be. They will feel whatever the Broncos do, it could've been the Colts. In fact, they'll figure with the Colts it would've been even better.

I would prefer those fans being blindsided by an obviously lame Manning proving the Colts right in not only the long term, but the short term as well.

Otherwise, Lord Help Our Colts!
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Otherwise, Lord Help Our Colts!
    Does Duke still do that bit on Bob & Tom?

My all-time favorite...

Little Bobby Irsay
    Bought a football team
    And brought that team to Indianapolis and fulfilled that city's dream
    Now Bobby loves his football team
    Its obvious, of course
    'Cause he gave his wife fifty-two million bucks and kept the Colts in his divorce.

Lord... Help our Colts.

= = = = = = = = =

And I think you're right about Manning and the Broncos. LaMarr, James, Lawrence and Larry get a shot at him in week #1, and you know they're salivating over the chance to put a real hit on him. I certainly would be if I were a LB. I think he walks away no later than the 2013 offseason, and maybe during the season. He's done, the situation with his health is incredibly risky, and I think little Jimmy might have gotten that part right.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post

My all-time favorite...

Little Bobby Irsay
    Bought a football team
    Its obvious, of course
    'Cause he gave his wife fifty-two million bucks and kept the Colts in his divorce.

Lord... Help our Colts.

= = = = = = = = =

And I think you're right about Manning and the Broncos. LaMarr, James, Lawrence and Larry get a shot at him in week #1, and you know they're salivating over the chance to put a real hit on him. I certainly would be if I were a LB. I think he walks away no later than the 2013 offseason, and maybe during the season. He's done, the situation with his health is incredibly risky, and I think little Jimmy might have gotten that part right.
    He is at no more risk than any player getting hit and with that fusion, perhaps less. I expect him to play all four years of that contract....

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Grow the hell up.

If you're wondering if I mean you, then yes I mean you.

I realize I'm being more blunt than I probably should be, but I just don't have tolerance for such pettiness anymore.
    Sorry, Hicks, it is hard not to respond when someone starts calling me names. I don't do it unless I am provoked and perhaps I should not do it then. Thank you for stepping in and putting an end to it....

It looks like the Colts threat to blackout games worked:

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/7/1...oday#storyjump

It is important to note that 87% of season ticket holders did renew for the coming season. People have been acting like half the season ticket holders left, but the overwhelming majority renewed. They are now 97% sold out with two months to go before the season starts, so it looks like there won't be any blackouts.

Things couldn't be any worse than last season and for the most part people supported the team. We have to see just how good Luck is and if our front office has the ability to surround him with a complete team before we make absolute statements about the long term future of the franchise and fan base.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    It looks like the Colts threat to blackout games worked:

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/7/1...oday#storyjump

It is important to note that 87% of season ticket holders did renew for the coming season. People have been acting like half the season ticket holders left, but the overwhelming majority renewed. They are now 97% sold out with two months to go before the season starts, so it looks like there won't be any blackouts.

Things couldn't be any worse than last season and for the most part people supported the team. We have to see just how good Luck is and if our front office has the ability to surround him with a complete team before we make absolute statements about the long term future of the franchise and fan base.
    Yes, they can be worse than last year and they will be. They might win a game or two more but they won't be as good a team. The Colts had 5000 people on a waiting list for season tickets. Those are all gone now and they are calling former season ticket holders trying to get them to buy. My niece was one of them and she told then she wouldn't have time because she was going to be watching Denver games. So will I but I will also watch the Colts if they are televised.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post

My all-time favorite...

Little Bobby Irsay
    Bought a football team
    Its obvious, of course

Lord... Help our Colts.
    I actually have an MP3 of that one mixed in some other B+T material, LOL
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

I wonder how many teams will dare Manning to throw deep, gambling he won't be able to resist the temptation and wondering if he will be short-arming those type of throws?
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Well, good thing its in a thread with a ton of posts that hold know merit.

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I wonder how many teams will dare Manning to throw deep, gambling he won't be able to resist the temptation and wondering if he will be short-arming those type of throws?
    I think that will happen for the first few games but he will get stronger and when he punishes them for it one time. That will end that. Denver has a brutal early schedule. If they can come off of the first six games at 3-3, I think they will win big for the rest of the season and enter the playoffs as a real threat....

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Oh you know like holding a city hostage for taxpayer money to build the stadium and then turning around four years later after you've cut the best player in franchise history and saying, "You ******** better buy tickets or no Colts for you!"
    It would be beyond wrong given the fact the building was paid for by the tax payer. I want my 3 bricks out of that building if they don't broadcast the games.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Non-issue. The Colts will sell out every game and be much better than the "experts" are predicting. Since when are there experts in predicting future events in sports? What qualifications must one have to be an expert? We aren't talking nuclear physics or the federal tax code here.

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    Non-issue. The Colts will sell out every game and be much better than the "experts" are predicting. Since when are there experts in predicting future events in sports? What qualifications must one have to be an expert? We aren't talking nuclear physics or the federal tax code here.
    You are right, it is much more simple than that. They have a rookie QB, they have a pieced together offensive line. They are switching to a 3-4 without the personel to do it and trying to make Mathis and Freeney into linebackers. They have an aging receiver who can't get separation any more. They have another receiver whose next contact may end his career. Lots of reasons to think the Colts might be better this year. Even more to think they may struggle to even win one game. Three wins would be a miracle and it will be that way for a few years. Yes, I think the Colts will sell out too but Tampa took the new system to assure their games were all televised. When they drop the first eight or so games, I expect some season ticket holders to stop coming and you will see empty seats IF the games are telecast..... I'll side with the experts. Yes, a team occasionally surprises everybody. The Colts won't.....