Page 43 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1619

Thread: 2012-2013 NBA draft prospects thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2012-2013 NBA draft prospects thread

Didnt Jaiteh have an awful workout i remember reading something like that and he's raw as hell so he would be a stupid draft choice.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have watched a game in a half of Jackie now still getting a feel for his game. He has made some plays especially in PnR defense that has me excited. He gets switched on to a guard no problem. He is a very good defender in space and going from Tyler (one of the worst in space to Jackie would be a huge upgrade). PnR defense is such a big part of the game I think this will be my favorite asset of his game. He really does remind you of a Jeff Pendergraph at Ariz St. Or Haslem in his prime kid plays hard and smart great combo. I personally loved Jeff at Arz st. It is a shame he got injured he really is not the same player anymore athletically. I know Prichard loves Jeff so I think he is back next year. I hope he gets to play he is a much better player than Tyler. Back to Jackie I love him on defense and he is playing out of position. He is already 23 so not much growth left athletically and game wise. I love how hard he rim runs on offense. He makes his man run and that can be something that gets overlooked. He also played in a ton of PnR in the system he plays in. He is bacilly the PnR roll man almost every time down. He isnt overly physical with screens and tends to slip early, but he is advanced compared to a younger big in PnR play. He is a bit undersized and will get out manned at times in the NBA IMO, but no doubt there is a lot to like. He looks the part of a solid rotation big from day one. I will add more once I get through more tape.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 06-07-2013 at 07:58 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Didnt Jaiteh have an awful workout i remember reading something like that and he's raw as hell so he would be a stupid draft choice.
    I wouldn't be surprised if he had a 1v1 workout and lost. He will still be drafted 18 yr olds who have his frame don't grow on trees. I really wouldnt mind the pick if the team keeps him overseas for 5 years. I would of said the same thing about Jeremy Tyler. But guys like him and Tyler who can't play, but have the size and what not being given a contract, and you have to cut him(can't keep a guy that raw on your roster for 3 years and hope he has progressed to a 5th big by then) and lose his rights isn't worth it. That is the reason Tyler wasn't on my draft board. If he planed to stay in Euro for a few years I would of put him on my board.

EDIT: I know I would take a Richard Howell or a guy like Carmicheal over him in the 2nd a guy who can be a solid role player from day one. I would much rather take that. Then hope in 5 years we have an good role player who has the upside of a starter. Just with the state of the team I will take the Howell or Carmichael and for this particular player even in rebuild mode. I may draft him, but I wouldn't expect he will ever come over to play. I would take him if the scouts think he has a Ibaka like work ethic. Then just hope he proves me wrong. That is when scouts earn their pay check. whoever got in Ibaka's head and figured out he was a gym rat really did their homework, same with Roy Hibbert. Most players don't have that great work ethic. Most have good work ethics but to be great you need to live basketball.

another swingman I think could be solid as a D and 3 guy is James Ennis. He guarded OJ in the games I scouted him and he really impressed me. I think he ends up as a solid role player if he gets the chance. He really impressed me with his D on Orlando last year. The wing spot is so deep this year. I would be shocked if we don't get a solid wing out of this draft or UDFA period.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 06-07-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Sports Logo

Dario Saric officially out of the draft

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by XLevel View Post
    I don't understand why more people aren't talking about trading up for a lottery pick that could help push us over the "championship hill" right away. Full disclosure: Many of you know from speaking with me during the season or reading my tweets (at XLevelOnline) that I'm a huge IU and Oladipo fan.

That being said, I don't think many could argue that the Defensive Player of the Year, a high % shooter from 3, FG, & FT, a Hoosier (ticket draw), high energy, athletic freak, who could start and eventually be a star in the NBA would be a bad fit. Even if we didn't go after Oladipo, Trey Burke would also be a perfect fit. Most importantly, he's a true point. He shoots a decently high % from 3, FG, & FT, and can play or even possibly start right away.

If we couldn't get high enough to get either of those guys, we could move up slightly to snag my third choice in Shane Larkin. Shane Larkin is like a mix of Oladipo and Burke in that he's still a true point, defends well, and shoots a high percent. While he doesn't get to the line like the other two, he still has a great upside and can learn that part of the game. Especially, if he has Reggie Miller to guide him in the art of picking up fouls. (More on this in another thread.)

Before anyone starts talking about how difficult or expensive it is to move up in the draft, take a look at recent history. Also remember that this is considered to be a "down" or "weak" year in the draft which should make it easier/cheaper. I think we can pull it off without losing any major stars.

I think we could also address shooting very cheaply by signing a guy like Jordan Hulls who will not be drafted and can be our "Kyle Korver." He comes in and fills it up from 3 & shoots FTs both at an extremely high % all for league min.

Here's my depth chart.

1 Hill / (Burke/Larkin/Oladipo) / Hulls
    2 George / Stephenson / Johnson
    3 Granger / Young / Green
    4 West / Pendergraph / Marion
    5 Hibbert / Mahinmi / Plumlee

Yes, I have Oladipo as a 1. He has proven he can learn and adapt to anything. We're not really running a true point now anyway. Any of those guys have the potential to be starters or even stars within the first or second year.
    Not as crazy as many think I am. "Jordan Hulls works out for Pacers, Bulls" It won't let me post the link, but it's an article on Inside the Hall.

I
    Yes, I have Oladipo as a 1. He has proven he can learn and adapt to anything. We're not really running a true point now anyway. Any of those guys have the potential to be starters or even stars within the first or second year.
    Oladipo is not, and will never be a point guard. He can bring the ball up the court on occasion, but his handle is his biggest weakness. Making him a point guard would be putting a huge magnifying glass on that wart.

You are trying to fit square pegs in round holes. I've never been a fan of trying to mold a guy into a role he isn't suited for just because it fits the team's agenda better. I'm sure there are cases of success, but mostly in regards to role players. Forcing guys into playing point guard is not an experiment that has been met with much success in the NBA.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

I don't understand why more people aren't talking about trading up for a lottery pick that could help push us over the "championship hill" right away. Full disclosure: Many of you know from speaking with me during the season or reading my tweets (at XLevelOnline) that I'm a huge IU and Oladipo fan.

That being said, I don't think many could argue that the Defensive Player of the Year, a high % shooter from 3, FG, & FT, a Hoosier (ticket draw), high energy, athletic freak, who could start and eventually be a star in the NBA would be a bad fit. Even if we didn't go after Oladipo, Trey Burke would also be a perfect fit. Most importantly, he's a true point. He shoots a decently high % from 3, FG, & FT, and can play or even possibly start right away.

If we couldn't get high enough to get either of those guys, we could move up slightly to snag my third choice in Shane Larkin. Shane Larkin is like a mix of Oladipo and Burke in that he's still a true point, defends well, and shoots a high percent. While he doesn't get to the line like the other two, he still has a great upside and can learn that part of the game. Especially, if he has Reggie Miller to guide him in the art of picking up fouls. (More on this in another thread.)

Before anyone starts talking about how difficult or expensive it is to move up in the draft, take a look at recent history. Also remember that this is considered to be a "down" or "weak" year in the draft which should make it easier/cheaper. I think we can pull it off without losing any major stars.

I think we could also address shooting very cheaply by signing a guy like Jordan Hulls who will not be drafted and can be our "Kyle Korver." He comes in and fills it up from 3 & shoots FTs both at an extremely high % all for league min.

Here's my depth chart.

1 Hill / (Burke/Larkin/Oladipo) / Hulls
    2 George / Stephenson / Johnson
    3 Granger / Young / Green
    4 West / Pendergraph / Marion
    5 Hibbert / Mahinmi / Plumlee

Question - where did Marion come from?
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

I have a draft-related idea for discussion. Assuming that re-signing David West essentially is a done deal, there is a player I believe worth considering at #23 who MIGHT be a prime candidate to develop into West's replacement, and perhaps even could become our Player X. The operative word is DEVELOP, because like most draftees, he certainly needs strength (particularly in his legs). He's very coordinated, but not quick, so perhaps added strength would improve that a bit as well.

"Mr. West, please incorporate some tutoring into your schedule, because we might be interested in having you teach your "old man's game" to Mike Muscala." While I love the fact that Tbird endorses Dieng (even as a 5/4), I do hope he covers this possibility as well.
    "I'd run through a brick wall for that man."
    - Roy Hibbert on playing for Coach Frank Vogel

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DrFife For This Useful Post:

Mood

CJ Leslie is so F'in frustrating. He will make a play only he can make, but most of the time follows it up with key missed boxs outs or an over play on defense. I think he would be to much of a headache for my liking. Mental midget and not enough skill to make up for it.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anyone of a mind that we might sell the pick for $3mill?
    "He's a strong physical presence out there on both ends of the court. He's a man. There's a reason he was an All-Star." -- Vogel on David West

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Willbo View Post
    Anyone of a mind that we might sell the pick for $3mill?
    Na, If we sell it it will be for GG contract off the book. I think to good of a player will be there. A player that we need will be on the board, I dont want to sell the pick for just $$$.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

I was surprised by this

He didn't take many jump shots in Europe but it's nice to see that he may develop that part.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to hackashaq For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DrFife View Post
    I have a draft-related idea for discussion. Assuming that re-signing David West essentially is a done deal, there is a player I believe worth considering at #23 who MIGHT be a prime candidate to develop into West's replacement, and perhaps even could become our Player X. The operative word is DEVELOP, because like most draftees, he certainly needs strength (particularly in his legs). He's very coordinated, but not quick, so perhaps added strength would improve that a bit as well.

"Mr. West, please incorporate some tutoring into your schedule, because we might be interested in having you teach your "old man's game" to Mike Muscala." While I love the fact that Tbird endorses Dieng (even as a 5/4), I do hope he covers this possibility as well.
    I have my doubts on his defensive mobility-- can he get out on pick and rolls to cover PFs? But the size, attitude, and offensive skill set is intriguing. 23 may be a little early for him though

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    I have my doubts on his defensive mobility-- can he get out on pick and rolls to cover PFs? But the size, attitude, and offensive skill set is intriguing. 23 may be a little early for him though

Yes, he is awful defensively. He has a terrible frame and no strength. He is already 23 which is old for a spect(I mean if he was 20 his frame might be fixable). I don't think his frame takes weight. He is going to be a punching bag at the NBA level. he is just to small. It is sad to he is pretty skilled. He is a 4th-5th big IMO. I don't think he plays much at the next level no way he plays the PF IMO. I would pass on him. I bet he sticks around a little bit though. Jon Leuer. Although I think Jon was much quicker coming out. Anthony Tolliver is another guy I liken him too. I just think he is to small and to soft to play a major role in the NBA. His jump shot comes out nice even though he shots from a low slot. I don't think he doesn't anything in the low block he is just a PnP player at the next level. I dont like him as a roll man he just doesnt have the mobility or strength to finish as a role man. I will give him this. He is a much better passer and rebounder than Tolliver and I like how unselfish and skilled he is overall. If he was on the floor at the NBA level. I would basically attack him every time down. I would PnR him to death or just feed the post he can't guard either scenario.

I don't agree with DX on him at all. His Physical tools are not a strength IMO, and his D being a strength is laughable. Although I would say he is so crafty and skilled. He could carve a niche for himself like a guy like Luis Scola did. He does reimnd me skill set wise of Louis. (I just fear the lack of strength won't let him show that skill at the next level, and he will be just an outside PnP guy) If he was physical like Louis maybe I would be all for him. I just think that is what he lacks that will keep him as a 3rd-5th big not a crafty starter like Louis became. I like Mike better than Kelly O in terms of value that is for sure. I think Mike in the 2nd is much better than Kelly in the 1sd.

EDIT: I cant believe I left out Andrew Nicholson. They do have the same type of body and skill level. Andrew is much much longer though which is a huge difference for the NBA (insert Roy Hibbert favorite joke here)

reason why Andrew went late teens in a good draft and Mike will go 30s-40s in a meh draft at best. That extra 4-5 ins of length is massive for the NBA.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 06-09-2013 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Yes, he is awful defensively. He has a terrible frame and no strength. He is already 23 which is old for a spect(I mean if he was 20 his frame might be fixable). I don't think his frame takes weight. He is going to be a punching bag at the NBA level. he is just to small. It is sad to he is pretty skilled. He is a 4th-5th big IMO. I don't think he plays much at the next level no way he plays the PF IMO. I would pass on him. I bet he sticks around a little bit though. Jon Leuer. Although I think Jon was much quicker coming out. Anthony Tolliver is another guy I liken him too. I just think he is to small and to soft to play a major role in the NBA. His jump shot comes out nice even though he shots from a low slot. I don't think he doesn't anything in the low block he is just a PnP player at the next level. I dont like him as a roll man he just doesnt have the mobility or strength to finish as a role man. I will give him this. He is a much better passer and rebounder than Tolliver and I like how unselfish and skilled he is overall. If he was on the floor at the NBA level. I would basically attack him every time down. I would PnR him to death or just feed the post he can't guard either scenario.

I don't agree with DX on him at all. His Physical tools are not a strength IMO, and his D being a strength is laughable. Although I would say he is so crafty and skilled. He could carve a niche for himself like a guy like Luis Scola did. He does reimnd me skill set wise of Louis. (I just fear the lack of strength won't let him show that skill at the next level, and he will be just an outside PnP guy) If he was physical like Louis maybe I would be all for him. I just think that is what he lacks that will keep him as a 3rd-5th big not a crafty starter like Louis became. I like Mike better than Kelly O in terms of value that is for sure. I think Mike in the 2nd is much better than Kelly in the 1sd.
    He wasn't all that impressive against Butler in the tournament. Smith and Marshall shut him down for the most part.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DrFife View Post

I think that Muscala can develop into a 4 in the NBA level as well. He is quick enough and has the offensive game to do it. I'd like him as a 4 a lot.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    Question - where did Marion come from?
    Sign as free agent.

Sports Logo

Sign as free agent.
    So, you think that it's doable to move up in the Draft without losing any player at all and then sign Marion for 2.5 - 3 mil per year?
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Any Pacer workouts? Any scheduled?

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Marion isn't a FA though.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Any Pacer workouts? Any scheduled?
    Hoopshype has a page where they list the workouts they know about.

http://hoopshype.com/workouts.htm

It's probably incomplete for Indiana, since they only list a few players for us. Tim Hardaway Jr is probably the most high profile name.

In years past, Pacers.com would have interviews, features etc. of draft prospects. But I guess now that we've had a successful postseason run, they're above those things now

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

When was the last time the Pacers drafted a point guard? Travis Best? Vern Fleming???
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

DX's latest mock is up; note that PG Dennis Schroeder has dropped all the way to #24 (Anyone know why?):

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2013/

Also interesting is to note the contrast in projected selection in Hoopshype for C Lucas Nogueira (great workout recently) and SG Jamaal Franklin (attitude problem?):

www.hoopshype.com/draft.htm

I agree with others that Hoopshype traditionally has not been nearly as reliable as DX, but Aran Smith seems to be working harder this year at networking with scouts and GMs.
    "I'd run through a brick wall for that man."
    - Roy Hibbert on playing for Coach Frank Vogel

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    When was the last time the Pacers drafted a point guard? Travis Best? Vern Fleming???
    A.J. Price.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Hoopshype has a page where they list the workouts they know about.

http://hoopshype.com/workouts.htm

It's probably incomplete for Indiana, since they only list a few players for us. Tim Hardaway Jr is probably the most high profile name.

In years past, Pacers.com would have interviews, features etc. of draft prospects. But I guess now that we've had a successful postseason run, they're above those things now

Interesting look, I'm afraid the Nets are going to draft a player the Pacers would like to have. Just a feeling.