Page 29 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 NBA draft prospects thread

Default Re: 2012-2013 NBA draft prospects thread

QUESTION.
    Milwaukee made the playoffs with a losing record of 38-44. Their record is still one of the worst 14. Do they still get to draft in the lottery and ahead of Dallas at 41-41 and Utah at 43-39 while getting to play in the playoffs?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    QUESTION.
    Milwaukee made the playoffs with a losing record of 38-44. Their record is still one of the worst 14. Do they still get to draft in the lottery and ahead of Dallas at 41-41 and Utah at 43-39 while getting to play in the playoffs?
    Nope. Dallas and Utah get tossed into the lottery. Milwaukee will draft 15th.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post

Nope. Dallas and Utah get tossed into the lottery. Milwaukee will draft 15th.
    That seems to be the proper avenue. Why reward a team with a losing record that makes the playoffs a lottery pick too. 15th pick isn't that much worse than than #13.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Glenn Robinson III and Mitch McGary are staying at Michigan another year.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Gary Harris is staying
    "We want Miami"

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Glenn Robinson III and Mitch McGary are staying at Michigan another year.
    Won't have any affect on Detroits pick but everyone below 10-15 will see players slide up 2 notches.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post

Won't have any affect on Detroits pick but everyone below 10-15 will see players slide up 2 notches.
    That includes the Pacers, so anyone looking like a possible is now not posible.

Don't the Euro's have a specific date they have declare or un-declare for the draft? Again, I see this as a poor draft even with the #23 pick. I've advocated trading out, but let me throw this out there. Cleveland has the #32 & 34 picks, so is there a chance some decent players could fall to early 2nd round that would be worth trading the #23 pick for?

Sports Logo

Sorry, my bad. I didn't remember reading about your profile on Sergey.
    Don't worry, Justin.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

That includes the Pacers, so anyone looking like a possible is now not posible.

Don't the Euro's have a specific date they have declare or un-declare for the draft? Again, I see this as a poor draft even with the #23 pick. I've advocated trading out, but let me throw this out there. Cleveland has the #32 & 34 picks, so is there a chance some decent players could fall to early 2nd round that would be worth trading the #23 pick for?
    A trade down like you propose is very possible if another team sees a player they need. And if the Pacers do not see a player they highly value available at 23.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

***Paging Nuntius***

What do you know about these international gents in the Nike Hoops Summit? Specfically, Dennis Schroeder, Sergey Karasev, and Livio Jean-Charles? I watched the game and was really impressed with Schroeder especially.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    ***Paging Nuntius***

What do you know about these international gents in the Nike Hoops Summit? Specfically, Dennis Schroeder, Sergey Karasev, and Livio Jean-Charles? I watched the game and was really impressed with Schroeder especially.
    Refer to my earlier posts about Sergey. I got him covered.

About Schroeder now. I have heard very good words. He has good size (6'2 with shoes) and amazing lenght (6'7.25 wingspan) that would fit the Pacers' defensive identity. His physical profile reminds me of Patrick Beverley. He is also athletic and quick. He is considered a pesky defender from what I've heard (although I have not seen any tape on him). He is also known to be a good ball-handler. He is only 19 years and can certainly find a role in the NBA.

He benefits from the fact that Smart is not declaring and thus he is likely to stay in the draft (not to mention that his team in Germany is relegating). He is very young, though, and will do a number of mistakes when he comes into the league. Some of them could cost games as well. I'd like to have him on the Pacers but we would still need a veteran back-up.

About Livio Jean-Charles I don't know a lot. He is 19 years old, 6'9 with a 7'2.5 wingspan. He is said to be athletic but quite raw in terms of shooting and dribbling for a SF / PF tweener. His length would help him transition to full-time PF but he is too thin for it yet (217 lbs).

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Thanks Nuntius.

I really liked what I saw out of Schroeder in the Nike Hoops Summit. Looked a little thin, as 19 year olds are wont to do, but he seemed to have a good handle and was very willing to make the passes to open teammates. Good quickness, and a goofy blotch of brown in his hair made me a fan. In the late first, we could do worse.

Sports Logo

Thanks Nuntius.

I really liked what I saw out of Schroeder in the Nike Hoops Summit. Looked a little thin, as 19 year olds are wont to do, but he seemed to have a good handle and was very willing to make the passes to open teammates. Good quickness, and a goofy blotch of brown in his hair made me a fan. In the late first, we could do worse.
    Well, picking him in the late first certainly wouldn't be a waste. But I'd prefer my back-up PG to be an experienced player. Schroeder would be perfect for us in the future but he could hamper us a bit in his first 2 seasons (and that's completely natural for a 19 year old).

If we were to pick a young prospect I'd rather go with Adetokunbo to be honest. His physical profile and athleticism are that much harder to come by.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Well, picking him in the late first certainly wouldn't be a waste. But I'd prefer my back-up PG to be an experienced player. Schroeder would be perfect for us in the future but he could hamper us a bit in his first 2 seasons (and that's completely natural for a 19 year old).

If we were to pick a young prospect I'd rather go with Adetokunbo to be honest. His physical profile and athleticism are that much harder to come by.
    Last years Miami team had Norris Cole as the backup. The year before that, Dallas had Rodrique Beaubois as their backup. One year earlier, Los Angeles had Jordan Farmar.

Cole was a rookie, Beaubois can't find the court, and Farmar can't find the NBA.

As long as we can find some players that fit, we'll be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by dgranger17 View Post
    As long as we can find some players that fit, we'll be alright.

Finding the some players that fit is best served with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    How many #1 picks should they get? I personally think no team should have 2 #1 picks in 3 years no matter how they got them.
    Man if they keep up this team building and Lebron comes back, that could be a title contender immediately

I'm sure somebody has already mentioned this but I had no desire to sift through 29 pages of posts on that possibility. How do you guys feel about M. Kabongo ? I know he didn't blow anybody away his freshmen season and had the obvious eligibility issues this past year but he was thought of as an elite prospect coming out HS and had a solid freshmen season and showed flashes of that in limited time as a soph. I think it will be interesting to see how his stock changes if any during the combine and workout process. In the little I saw of him once he was eligible late in the year he looked to have added some muscle while remaining chiseled and I think I also heard that he is a legit 6'2"-6'3" now in shoes…..It is hard for me to see a guy like that being passed over by some other projects in the late 1st round and falling into the 2nd…..is he worth a look at 23 ? I would like to see us get a veteran replacement for Augustine to let Kabongo develop if we were to go that route…..but he is def intriguing as a prospect to put with our young nucleus.

Quote Originally Posted by Wylder1324 View Post
    I'm sure somebody has already mentioned this but I had no desire to sift through 29 pages of posts on that possibility. How do you guys feel about M. Kabongo ? I know he didn't blow anybody away his freshmen season and had the obvious eligibility issues this past year but he was thought of as an elite prospect coming out HS and had a solid freshmen season and showed flashes of that in limited time as a soph. I think it will be interesting to see how his stock changes if any during the combine and workout process. In the little I saw of him once he was eligible late in the year he looked to have added some muscle while remaining chiseled and I think I also heard that he is a legit 6'2"-6'3" now in shoes…..It is hard for me to see a guy like that being passed over by some other projects in the late 1st round and falling into the 2nd…..is he worth a look at 23 ? I would like to see us get a veteran replacement for Augustine to let Kabongo develop if we were to go that route…..but he is def intriguing as a prospect to put with our young nucleus.
    I haven't seen a whole lot of him, but my initial reaction: At 23ish, he's worth a shot. He's got a lot of talent but Ricky Barnes down there at Texas doesn't coach players for ****. Get him some good coaching and he could be decent down the road. Plus, his name is incredibly fun to say. KABONGO FOR THREE!!!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

I am hoping to see one of the more dedicated guys on here do one of the scouting reports based on watching some recorded game film on Kabongo. If the tidbits I've read and some games I've seen I really like him as a prospect. Great size and build for the position and is thought of as an elite level prospect as a facilitator…..I also like his potential as a defender with the size, quickness and muscle he has added. Some bad luck with the NCAA suspension and unfortunate circumstance of being a part of a UT program that has sadly taken a few steps back from where they were as a very solid basketball program…..but never the less I am intrigued. I know that we have some other positions of need but just don't see many guys in the 20's and below that have the kind of upside Kabongo has.

Another guy I am at the very least intrigued by (I will likely catch some flack here) is Seth Curry. I am a fan of Duke basketball and especially of coach K but their system isn't always the best at bringing out the best in an individual as opposed to a cohesive unit. That said I believe Seth has more of Stephen's game in him than he was able to show at Duke. His Freshmen year he showed a lot more attributes of a Davidsonesque Stephen than he was given the opportunity to at Duke…..obviously not at 23 but somewhere in the mid-late 2nd round I like him as a prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Wylder1324 View Post
    I am hoping to see one of the more dedicated guys on here do one of the scouting reports based on watching some recorded game film on Kabongo. If the tidbits I've read and some games I've seen I really like him as a prospect. Great size and build for the position and is thought of as an elite level prospect as a facilitator…..I also like his potential as a defender with the size, quickness and muscle he has added. Some bad luck with the NCAA suspension and unfortunate circumstance of being a part of a UT program that has sadly taken a few steps back from where they were as a very solid basketball program…..but never the less I am intrigued. I know that we have some other positions of need but just don't see many guys in the 20's and below that have the kind of upside Kabongo has.

Another guy I am at the very least intrigued by (I will likely catch some flack here) is Seth Curry. I am a fan of Duke basketball and especially of coach K but their system isn't always the best at bringing out the best in an individual as opposed to a cohesive unit. That said I believe Seth has more of Stephen's game in him than he was able to show at Duke. His Freshmen year he showed a lot more attributes of a Davidsonesque Stephen than he was given the opportunity to at Duke…..obviously not at 23 but somewhere in the mid-late 2nd round I like him as a prospect.
    I know p4e has an opinion on Kabongo, and it is likely more scientific than my liking his name. He's posted it somewhere in this thread, maybe he will dig it up for you.

I like Seth Curry too, honestly. He won't be what his brother is in the NBA, but he can shoot with the best of them, and really, all you need is one elite skill to find a niche in the league.

I haven't gone through this entire thread (obviously) but if he somehow slipped to us (unlikely), what would you guys think about taking Michael Carter-Williams? I love his size and defensive potential, I love his court vision and pass first mentallity, and I think he'd be a good fit on the floor with either Lance or with George Hill.

Just curious of a few PD'ers thoughts on the guy.

I know p4e has an opinion on Kabongo, and it is likely more scientific than my liking his name. He's posted it somewhere in this thread, maybe he will dig it up for you.

I like Seth Curry too, honestly. He won't be what his brother is in the NBA, but he can shoot with the best of them, and really, all you need is one elite skill to find a niche in the league.
    I'd like to see it. (His opinion) If I get the time I may dig around to find it. He is one of the few guys I would actually be excited about that late in the draft. Ultimately I like George Hill as our 6th man that can come in and do what he does best and use his scorers mentality. He is solid in the 1st unit as our PG but I would rather see him shine in more of a J Crawford role off the bench. A PG of the future would be a nice get that late in the draft.

As for Curry I agree the chances of him succeeding in the way his brother has at this level is slim to none…I dont think many thought Steph would even be this good….but that said I still think he can be more than just a spot up shooter.
    Last edited by Wylder1324; 04-23-2013 at 04:39 PM.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

I haven't seen a whole lot of him, but my initial reaction: At 23ish, he's worth a shot. He's got a lot of talent but Ricky Barnes down there at Texas doesn't coach players for ****. Get him some good coaching and he could be decent down the road. Plus, his name is incredibly fun to say. KABONGO FOR THREE!!!
    Kabongo isn't even expected to go top 40 in most mock drafts. He could probably climb higher in workouts but at #23 he'd be a bigger reach than Plumlee was last year.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

The Pacers system isn't set up to let a point guard thrive at passing. Their better off drafting a scoring point guard who can also play solid D. Russ Smith would be perfect for a backup role as he can put up points while defending the quick small guards. One thing to look at when evaluating short PGs defense in college is the RSB40 (Rebounds, steals, blocks per 40 minutes). Nearly every PG that is successful at defense in the NBA has at least posted a RSB40 of 7.0 in college. DJ Augustin had a 4.5, Darren Collison had a 5.2 . Short defensive point guards include Patrick Beverley (6'1") who posted a high RSB40 of 9.8 and Rondo (6'1") posted a ridiculous 10.7. Russ Smith has a 7.2.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    Kabongo isn't even expected to go top 40 in most mock drafts. He could probably climb higher in workouts but at #23 he'd be a bigger reach than Plumlee was last year.
    You had a valid point until you threw that Plumlee crap in there.

Kabongo's stock is down right now--not playing much last year and playing for a crappy team will do that. My guess is he will rise in the workouts and end up in the 25-35 range. If 23 is indeed our slot, it would probably be a bit of a reach, but certainly not a Plumlee-level debacle.