Page 26 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 NBA draft prospects thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2012-2013 NBA draft prospects thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In 2013, there should be NO DOUBT about what you are getting when you are being drafted number 1. Anthony Davis, John Wall, Kyrie Irving, Blake Griffin are all studs. Noel doesn't belong with those guys
    I remember everyone was bashing Orlando for taking Dwight over Okafor. Noel may not have the pedigree right now, but I don't think there's any question he has the highest upside in this draft. He very well could be a bust, but it's hard to fault a GM for rolling the dice.

Any discussion about Noel's potential as a NBA prospect should start with his phenomenal physical attributes. Measured at 6-10 without shoes, with a 7-4 wingspan and exceptional athletic ability, Noel is a rare specimen. He runs the floor like a guard, is extremely nimble and quick, and has pogo stick leaping ability. This allows him to cover ground unbelievably well both vertically and horizontally, which helps him impact the game in numerous ways. It's safe to say that, should he make a full recovery from his injury as expected, he'll be one of the most athletic big men in the NBA.
    When freed from the burdens of having to create his own offense, Noel absolutely shines. With his terrific height, long arms, and tremendous explosiveness, he's one of the best finishers in college basketball, converting an outstanding 64% of his attempts around the rim in the half-court. He shows great potential as a pick and roll finisher, being capable of finishing emphatically from extremely difficult angles and vantage points thanks to his long arms and how high he gets up in the air.

Interestingly enough, while not overly polished, Noel shows the willingness, and at times the ability, to use either hand equally well inside the paint, something that's fairly rare for an 18-year old big man. This is definitely something he can build on as he gets stronger and his touch around the rim hopefully improves.
    -DraftExpress.com
    And I get it, Tyrus Thomas was athletic, but I think it's his willingness/ability to use both hands in the paint which to me (at the age of 19), makes Nerlens a Top 5 pick in any draft, let alone a weak one like this.
    Last edited by PR07; 04-10-2013 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    I remember everyone was bashing Orlando for taking Dwight over Okafor. Noel may not have the pedigree right now, but I don't think there's any question he has the highest upside in this draft. He very well could be a bust, but it's hard to fault a GM for rolling the dice.

And I get it, Tyrus Thomas was athletic, but I think it's his willingness/ability to use both hands in the paint which to me (at the age of 19), makes Nerlens a Top 5 pick in any draft, let alone a weak one like this.
    ultimately even with uber talent there are no guarantees.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    especially in a poor overall draft.
    Here's where we disagree, Justin. I don't believe that this a poor overall draft. It really isn't. It is only poor at the top. But we're not picking at the top, luckily. It is a great draft for good teams picking late in the first.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

tell me about Erick Green from Virginia Tech. 25 a night on 47% in the ACC on a complete crap team is impressive.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Here's where we disagree, Justin. I don't believe that this a poor overall draft. It really isn't. It is only poor at the top. But we're not picking at the top, luckily. It is a great draft for good teams picking late in the first.
    Is it just me, or is every draft recently supposed to be "weak". Yet every draft produces quality NBA players.
    David "And One" West

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Every draft goes through stages, by the time draft time rolls around a few guys will blow up in warm outs and it won't be as bad anymore, there is always talent, a lot of people are distracted by Wiggins, Vonleh, etc. draft next year.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

In 2013, there should be NO DOUBT about what you are getting when you are being drafted number 1. Anthony Davis, John Wall, Kyrie Irving, Blake Griffin are all studs. Noel doesn't belong with those guys
    Who in 2013 does?
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

McLemore could. Emphasis on could.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Can someone tell me what is so great about Nerlens Noel? He has no offense at all, and he isn't the best shot blocker in this class. He is a more hyped Bismark Biyambo. He went to Kentucky....and that's it. Has a school alone ever created so much buzz about the potential top pick in the draft?

KY went down the tubes after Noel got injured. That's how good a player he was. He's a big, he's young with talent, so he's going to be in demand. B/c of his youth and injury, imo, it will take Noel a # of years to become the player that whoever drafts him expects him to be.

The automatic death of Noel will be if MJ drafts him. I wouldn't even want an IU player to be drafted by MJ, and that's saying something coming from one of IU's biggest non-fans!!

KY was down the tubes to begin with.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Who in this poor overall draft is?

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post

REALLY? LOL!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Bologna. When Noel got injured UK had won 5 in a row and 9 of their last 12 and one of those losses was a 3 point loss to this team called Louisville on the road, I heard they ended up being OK.

UK's season started rough, they lost 3 of their first 7, but after that they were on a 13 of 16 run when Noel went down. After Nerlens hurt himself, UK went 4-6.

He was playing at just as high a level as Anthony Davis did at that point if not higher on the defensive end. If Noel didn't get hurt, UK would have not only made the tourney, but I think they could have made it to the sweet 16 which says a lot about how important he was and the level at which he was playing. He wasn't just skilled either, I think it says a lot about his potential leadership skills that he was able to keep that team on a winning track until he got hurt considering the fact that Calipari pretty much came out and said that Harrow, Goodwin, and Poythress were three of the most uncoachable guys he had ever been around.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Bologna. When Noel got injured UK had won 5 in a row and 9 of their last 12 and one of those losses was a 3 point loss to this team called Louisville on the road, I heard they ended up being OK.

UK's season started rough, they lost 3 of their first 7, but after that they were on a 13 of 16 run when Noel went down. After Nerlens hurt himself, UK went 4-6.

He was playing at just as high a level as Anthony Davis did at that point if not higher on the defensive end. If Noel didn't get hurt, UK would have not only made the tourney, but I think they could have made it to the sweet 16 which says a lot about how important he was and the level at which he was playing. He wasn't just skilled either, I think it says a lot about his potential leadership skills that he was able to keep that team on a winning track until he got hurt considering the fact that Calipari pretty much came out and said that Harrow, Goodwin, and Poythress were three of the most uncoachable guys he had ever been around.
    Yeah, that team went from a tournament team to a team that lost to Robert Morris in the NIT. Say what you want about Noel, but pending a full recovery, he'll at least be a defensive monster in the NBA. I'm talking about a Serge Ibaka-like presence, and this is from a guy that really doesn't care for UK.

there are a few players I like in this draft that we could possibly draft, for a first round option,
    I like Caldwell-Pope from Georgia, Dieng from Louisville, Robinson from Michigan. Pope can come of the bench and score in my eyes, he played for a average or below average school and yet still produced, Dieng(assuming Tyler isnt resigned) in my eyes can play the 4 spot since he can knock down the 17 foot jumpers, block and rebound the ball and also play the 5 assuming Ian and Roy are both in foul trouble and Robinson is young but with a good worth ethic he can get better and provide scoring off the bench.

For the 2nd round, id like Phil Pressey, Brandon Paul, Vander Blue and Hardaway JR. Pressey can pass the ball as well as Blue and Paul and hardaway jr can come off the bench and score. Not sure on the defensive side of the ball for them but that can always improve during off-season training and workouts, just ask Paul George

Thoughts?

I wish we could trade up for Oladipo but thats probably impossible lol
    "That picture is dope man". -Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    Yeah, that team went from a tournament team to a team that lost to Robert Morris in the NIT. Say what you want about Noel, but pending a full recovery, he'll at least be a defensive monster in the NBA. I'm talking about a Serge Ibaka-like presence, and this is from a guy that really doesn't care for UK.
    If you want shot blocking, then Withey is your guy
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by Mears13geico View Post
    I wish we could trade up for Oladipo but thats probably impossible lol

Nah, he's going to get drafted by Detroit. How I'd love to see the IU fans cry about their guy being drafted by the Pistons and having to watch the Pistons' games to see him play! Oh how sweet it would be. LOL!!!

Yes, I have been known to have a cruel streak at times. Even worse for IU fans is that MJ drafts him. Even I wouldn't wish that on Olapido.

I honestly have no idea who I want the Pacers to draft. I don't want Zeller because he isn't ready for the NBA
    "We want Miami"

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Coopdog23 For This Useful Post:

Comparing noel to Davis is insane.
    David "And One" West

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    I honestly have no idea who I want the Pacers to draft. I don't want Zeller because he isn't ready for the NBA
    If Tyler Zeller's strong rookie year is any indication of what kind of player Cody will become, he will be a darn good pro
    David "And One" West

Banned
    Mood

Come On, Anthony Davis is a once a decade player John Caliapera said so. Noel is Bismark Biyombia of Bobcats Anthony Davis was an olympian.

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    Wait to see how draft pans out. Have you watched any of Isiah Cannan Murray State ? He is a point guard I could see wearing blue and gold. Smaller / Strong solid scorer a back up to George Hill.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

I really like Reggie Bullock for the Pacers in the late first round.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

I wouldn't waste a 1st rounder on a PF that isn't a sure thing. There's many NBA ready PFs in this draft that will likely be 2nd rounders or undrafted

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    tell me about Erick Green from Virginia Tech. 25 a night on 47% in the ACC on a complete crap team is impressive.
    He is legit I like his game a lot. Deceptively athletic he isnt very good on defense but the way he plays offensively is perfect for what the Pacers do. He has been on my short list all season.

Here is the writ-up I did of him in February

Erick Green scouting report 2/27/13
    Brian K.
    Offense

Post Play/Footwork
    He has very good footwork especially coming off screens. He has a solid mid-range game. I wish he posted up more often he just doesn’t really have that in his game.

Off ball/Screening
    Erick is a very good player coming off screens. He doesn’t gain separation like you would expect a player to but he doesn’t need much space. He reads screens very well and knows how to use them. I love him in a motion based offense as his movement and shooting is a great combo.

Ball handling
    Erick handles the ball pretty well. He looks like he could be pressed due to lack of speed. However that isn’t the case because he has a good handle with both hands. Pretty low dribble and should be solid at the next level.

Perimeter Shooting
    Love his form and most of the time his shot selection. At times especially when the game is getting away he will force but not very often. He should be a good shooter at the next level.

Offensive Rebounding
    He doesn’t crash the offensive boards at all.

Passing Skills
    He moves the ball well. Not the best vision but he is unselfish and makes the right play a lot of the time. I think he is the best fit in an offense that lets him play off the ball a lot. He would be a really good fit for what the Indiana Pacers run(where the wings create more and the pg gets to play off the ball). He won’t wow you in passing but he is pretty good at just keeping the offense moving.

Pick and Roll/ Pop skills
    Erick is a deceptively quick player. He isn’t fast at all or even has a good first step. He changes speed well though and as a result can get in the lane very well. He reminds me of Rubio in that way not a good athlete at all. But he gets it done because he is super quick way quicker than fast. He reads picks well and very good at finding the open man or creating for himself.

Free Throw Shooting
    Very good free throw shooter and gets to the line with his high IQ. He just has great instincts and knows how to get open in different situations and draw the foul. He gets in the paint when it looks like he shouldn’t be able to. He is just super crafty and knows how to get to the line.

Defense

Post Defense
    He rarely gets posted and if he did I think he could handle himself well.

Perimeter Defense
    This is my main question with Erick. I don’t see him as a good defender at the next level. He is solid in college but I can’t see it that way in the NBA. I hope he proves me wrong I just don’t like his defense at the next level. They hide him off the ball at times and he may be better guarding SG’s anyway. That means you need a shooting guard who can cross match and that limits the combinations he can play well with.

Help Defense/Shot Blocking
    He is in the right spot a lot of the time and that is all you can ask for out of a player. He stays between his man and the ball and fights through screens.

Defensive Rebounding
    He is just an average rebounder not really part of his game.

Transition offense and defense
    His strength is in the half court in my humble opinion. He makes good decisions on the fast break but likes to hold up quite a bit. He isn’t a good transition defender he isn’t very good moving laterally on the break.

Athleticism/ Body/ frame
    Long and Lanky for a pg. He isn’t a good athlete for the pg spot but makes up for it with intelligence and quickness and size. He is a much better basketball athlete than just an athlete and that bodes well for him.

Intangibles and motor
    Love Erick’s intangibles a much better player than a player of his talents should be. That isn’t a knock by any means. He just knows how to play basketball and is a very good player. I will take a good basketball player over a great athlete who isn’t a good player any day. His quickness is much underrated and is why he will be a solid pro.

Future prognosis?
    I think he is a good backup in the NBA for a long time. I would like to see a team who runs a lot of motion draft him. He would be a good fit for a lot of teams.

Draft Value: He would be a very good 2nd rd pick.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 04-13-2013 at 11:28 PM.

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post: