Page 19 of 65 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 NBA draft prospects thread

Default Re: 2012-2013 NBA draft prospects thread

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That would be an even worse offensive lineup than the one with Tyler.

The problem with Withey is his lack of mass. He'll be pushed around a lot on the inside.
    He is very mobile and jumps quickly(like Jeff could) and he looks to have very long arms.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

I think Withey can destroy people all day who are 2-5 inches shorter than himself. While he sees such people every game in the NCAA, he will be eyeball-to-eyeball with most of the people he faces at C in the NBA. I would expect a huge dropoff in how he plays in that situation, but I could be wrong.

It would be interesting to see how he handled Cody Zeller or other 7-footers. I'm not sure we will find out unless they get to the FF. UM, FL, FGCU all lack 7-footers, though the 6'10" Mitch McGary may give us some clues, due to his exceptionally high motor.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    I think Withey can destroy people all day who are 2-5 inches shorter than himself. While he sees such people every game in the NCAA, he will be eyeball-to-eyeball with most of the people he faces at C in the NBA. I would expect a huge dropoff in how he plays in that situation, but I could be wrong.

It would be interesting to see how he handled Cody Zeller or other 7-footers. I'm not sure we will find out unless they get to the FF. UM, FL, FGCU all lack 7-footers, though the 6'10" Mitch McGary may give us some clues, due to his exceptionally high motor.
    He has already faced tons of NBA caliber bodies in his career and normally fairs well. He is bigger than you are giving him credit for he is a legit 6'11. He played great vs Philip Jurick this year every time they played. Philip is as big and physical as they come 6'11 270 and Whithey made him look silly. O and he outplayed the great Miles Plumlee last year held him to two points.

I had the same stances with Nik Vucevic everyone(most experts said he was a reach many didn't like him for the league) said he had bad body and would struggle at the next level. The fact of the matter is he could play the game and just gets it done. Jeff is the same way except he is a defensive player first not offensive like Nik.

We will see in the coming year. I just like his skill set and think it will transfer very well to the league. I will be the first one to eat crow if he isn't a good NBA player and a starting caliber C(which isnt a lot in this league) in 3 years.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    disagree but we shall find out shortly. He has a really good frame I don't know what makes you think that. He has handled everyone he has faced. I don't think many realize how good he has been defensively this year and last year. He is defiantly the DPOY of big men without question.

Because he weighs 235. He only has like 10lbs on PG. I think we both can agree that there's a pretty wide gap between banging with college players, and banging with NBA players.
    Last edited by Since86; 03-25-2013 at 03:59 PM.

I had the same stances with Nik Vucevic everyone(most experts said he was a reach many didn't like him for the league) said he had bad body and would struggle at the next level. The fact of the matter is he could play the game and just gets it done. Jeff is the same way except he is a defensive player first not offensive like Nik.
    Guy weighed in at 260 in the pre-draft combine, with a 6.1% body fat. That's 25lbs of pretty much solid muscle on Withey. Withey is skinny as a rail, and I bet he's around 3-4%. Anything below that is extremely unhealthy for males.

What do guys think of Marshall Henderson? I could see him as our needed spark off the bench
    David "And One" West

O and he outplayed the great Miles Plumlee last year held him to two points.

Well Miles isn't suppose to be a scorer, so he probably played better "D", got more rebs, and blocked more shots than Withey. Right?

Mood

Guy weighed in at 260 in the pre-draft combine, with a 6.1% body fat. That's 25lbs of pretty much solid muscle on Withey. Withey is skinny as a rail, and I bet he's around 3-4%. Anything below that is extremely unhealthy for males.
    Nik was listed at 6'10 and 240 at USC and then like u said at the combine he grew he had to be the first person to be taller than his list height. I don't think with is super skinny. 4 % body fat is close to what George Hill and g3 is ripped. I like what I see on tape so I'm not concerned with his frame at all.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    What do guys think of Marshall Henderson? I could see him as our needed spark off the bench
    There are plenty of guys out there that does what he does with out being a complete head case. Don't mistake 'spark' with 'nut job'. There's a difference between playing with high energy and being an a$$hole.
    "There is a time to play and a time to win. It is what you do during winning time that differentiates the average players from stars."

~Ahmad Rashad~

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Hinds View Post
    There are plenty of guys out there that does what he does with out being a complete head case. Don't mistake 'spark' with 'nut job'. There's a difference between playing with high energy and being an a$$hole.
    There are hundreds of guys who shoot 35% in college basketball and all are better people than Henderson.

Mood

LOL not sure if serious?? I would torch the field house if we drafted Marshall Henderson. I am sure I wouldnt be alone in that line of thinking. Terrible player, and then any in his character lol. I am not even talking about his antics thoes could be tolerated if he wasnt a douche off the court. There is a reason he has many kicked off of so many programs.
    Arnett Moultrie, is a guy who had a terrible frame IMO he was 21 his last year in college and 230. He was a guy I didnt like for a number of reasons mainly because he was selfish with his play. But I was also concerned about his body. Look at the dude now only 6 months into his rookie year and he has gained 15lbs of muscle easy he looks a good 250 and a solid upper body. Whithey has a frame that with basketball as his career should be able to put on muscle IMO. I would much rather have a guy at 3% body fat though that means he works hard. Guys who come in at 9%-15% are a a much greater concern. Although in this day in age with how NBA teams have the resources it really isn't an issue. These guys should get much bigger with the programs NBA teams put them on. I mean skinny as a rail is John Henson not Jeff Whithey(I liked Henson BTW but I dropped him due to his body which to me looks like it can't take weight. I am no doctor though, If the Bucks team doctors felt comfrontable that he could gain stregth and stay healthy I see no reason he wasnt worth the #14 pick.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    There are hundreds of guys who shoot 35% in college basketball and all are better people than Henderson.
    Archer GIF for the win, and I agree about his shot selection. I mean he can get into the league, sure. He can get his shots with some of those moves, but he still isn't hitting them. Look at CDR's career so far and to me he was far more selection/smart about his shooting.

Character issues push it way past, and that might be why he doesn't even make it to the league when he hits camp.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I will say that if the Pacers deal Danny and move up to his range, I really like some of the "Scola" to Oylnyk's game. Could be a nice PF behind West that could take over PF scoring from West in a few years.

Smart player. Gonzaga just had trouble working the ball cleanly to him in the tourney. But again his range is in the 10-14 spot it seems, and that would take a big deal by the Pacers. I do think that backup PF needs to be addressed, even at a lower pick. I think I'd rather do a JJack type for b/u point. Need a vet/smart player with some of the bench youth we will be running out there for a few years.

Mood

If we move up I want Vic. Most NBA ready player in the draft. Would be great off the bench. Besides him I like Otto Porter and Tim Hardaway Jr. If we can grab them in the second I like Cj Leslie and Payne to replace Tyler.

I think if Seth Curry is still around in the second round, we need to snatch him up. We really need a knockdown shooter off the bench imo

Nik was listed at 6'10 and 240 at USC and then like u said at the combine he grew he had to be the first person to be taller than his list height. I don't think with is super skinny. 4 % body fat is close to what George Hill and g3 is ripped. I like what I see on tape so I'm not concerned with his frame at all.
    What? I didn't say he grew. I was just pointing out that Nik's body is vastly different than Withey. The difference between 235 and 260 is huge.

Your body fat has nothing to do with whether you're ripped or not. You can have 10% body fat, and be ripped. It says nothing about the amount of muscle mass you have, only the amount of fat you have. 4% body fat can be extremely impressive, depending on your muscle mass, or it can be rail thin depending on your lack of muscle mass.

Withey is skinny as a rail. I'm not aruging "against" him, I'm just saying he's needs to get bigger if he's going to have an impact. He's currently way too skinny to fight in the post. He'll get pushed around.
    Last edited by Since86; 03-26-2013 at 08:22 AM.

Sports Logo

So, Norvel Pelle will declare. Who the heck is he?
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Mood

Norvel Pelle is a 6'10 pf thin very talented. Was the top rated center in 2011 class, 1st committed to St John's but NCAA never cleared him to play. Spent 2012 at a community college after committing to Iona but not being cleared by the NCAA.

Is very athletic was compared to Kevin Durant by some while in high school. He was at several high schools leaving a long paper trail which alarmed the NCAA.

With NCAA not clearing him in 2 years he had no other choice than to declare for the draft. If he has a strong pre-draft camp could be a late 1st round pick based on potential.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to diamonddave00 For This Useful Post:

Tank for Burke
    Smothered Chicken!

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Looking at some random stats on DX. Noticed that Ben McLemore is the same height as Orlando Johnson. That seems pretty short for a top 5 draft pick. Plus he's giving up 40 pounds. Unless McLemore buys some genuine big boy pants, he's going to have real issues trying to defending at the NBA level. Guys like Danny or Paul will just shove him out of the way and do whatever they want.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    Looking at some random stats on DX. Noticed that Ben McLemore is the same height as Orlando Johnson. That seems pretty short for a top 5 draft pick. Plus he's giving up 40 pounds. Unless McLemore buys some genuine big boy pants, he's going to have real issues trying to defending at the NBA level. Guys like Danny or Paul will just shove him out of the way and do whatever they want.
    I was reading his backround story the other day. The dude is like Larry Bird he almost didnt come back to KU this year because he couldnt afford it. The author of the piece said NBA scouts think his body will get a lot better. Which I agree put him on a NBA regime and he will be 6'5 225 in no time I bet by draft day he will be 6'5 215 easy. But growing up he often went days without eating he had a really tough childhood.

Ben is 100X more athletic than Orlando due moves like a cheetah(dude is a freak and he has the best jumper I have seen so freaking silky textbook). You just dont find kids with his tools and his basketball IQ and how he plays the game is pretty good. Needs to be more aggressive at times but being a freshmen on a team full of seniors he deferred I think he will turn around that in the NBA.

About Nik I was just stating how rare it is that someone is listed under what they really are.

I still find it odd that Since thinks Whithey will get pushed around. I mean you watch him play right? That is his best asset his toughness on defense his post defense ability to guard the outside on PnR is amazing. His defense is excellent his one on one in the post is better than anyone in college basketball and his weak side anticipation is unmatched. Not just in blocking shots but more importantly changing them. Not to mention his block rate has been at a level that not even Davis was at last year. His defense was the best by a long shot in college ball this year. His ability to defend without fouling is so valuable and that was my main compliment about Nerlans Noel. Noel will improve but right now he is to jump happy and will get in a ton of foul trouble early in his career. Plus his PnR defense needs to get better again that is due to being jump happy when switching to guards.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

I was reading his backround story the other day. The dude is like Larry Bird he almost didnt come back to KU this year because he couldnt afford it. The author of the piece said NBA scouts think his body will get a lot better. Which I agree put him on a NBA regime and he will be 6'5 225 in no time I bet by draft day he will be 6'5 215 easy. But growing up he often went days without eating he had a really tough childhood.

Ben is 100X more athletic than Orlando due moves like a cheetah(dude is a freak and he has the best jumper I have seen so freaking silky textbook). You just dont find kids with his tools and his basketball IQ and how he plays the game is pretty good. Needs to be more aggressive at times but being a freshmen on a team full of seniors he deferred I think he will turn around that in the NBA.
    I wish he would turn it around a little sooner. Dude was my first round pick in our March Madness fantasy draft and is totally letting me down.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

I still find it odd that Since thinks Whithey will get pushed around. I mean you watch him play right? That is his best asset his toughness on defense his post defense ability to guard the outside on PnR is amazing. His defense is excellent his one on one in the post is better than anyone in college basketball and his weak side anticipation is unmatched. Not just in blocking shots but more importantly changing them. Not to mention his block rate has been at a level that not even Davis was at last year. His defense was the best by a long shot in college ball this year. His ability to defend without fouling is so valuable and that was my main compliment about Nerlans Noel. Noel will improve but right now he is to jump happy and will get in a ton of foul trouble early in his career. Plus his PnR defense needs to get better again that is due to being jump happy when switching to guards.
    So if a player doesn't get pushed around in college, he won't get pushed around in the NBA? I know that's not what you're saying, but it's pretty much what you're saying....

Withey is plenty big enough for the rigors of the NCAA. Not every team in the Big12 has legit 7fters with full adulthood bodies and strength. The difference between playing down low in the Big12 is different than the NBA.

You know just as well as I do that there are a lot of post players that are just fine at the NCAA level, who struggle with position at the NBA level. I'm not saying anything revolutionary here.