Page 17 of 65 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 NBA draft prospects thread

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2012-2013 NBA draft prospects thread

Just read the LA times article on Muhammad. Turns out he lied about his age. That story shows why the1 and done rule is so bad. Shabazz only cares about himself not his team. His father is every thing that is wrong in basketball toady.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...635,full.story
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 03-22-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Shabazz's time at UCLA is really reminiscent of Mayo's time at USC and their high school careers are similar too.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Shabazz's time at UCLA is really reminiscent of Mayo's time at USC and their high school careers are similar too.
    Good comparison.

And too expand on that, I guess what I am saying is that so far that is what I think Shabazz's career will play out in the NBA as well.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Just read the LA times article on Muhammad. Turns out he lied about his age. That story shows why the1 and done rule is so bad. Shabazz only cares about himself not his team. His father is every thing that is wrong in basketball toady.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...635,full.story
    The NBA gets more opportunities to see the players against better competition (plus a little free marketing), and college basketball gets more talented players. Where's the problem?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    The NBA gets more opportunities to see the players against better competition (plus a little free marketing), and college basketball gets more talented players. Where's the problem?
    The student athlete No way Bazz has been going to class kids like him are killing the student athlete and college game. The product suffers like I said make it like baseball let them be drafted out of HS but if they go to college stay 3 years. I am sure their are plenty of real student athletes that could use his scholarship and get a degree. The entailment his Dad has is flat out embarrassing. Not picking Duke or UK because he was afraid he wouldn't get touches . I don't want a kid worried about touches on my team, I mean MKG barley took the least amount of shots a game for UK and still went #2 overall. If you can play it doesn't matter. The problem is he is so damn selfish he only cares about himself and you cant win with guys like that.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Mood

I don't see the OJ Comp at all except for off the court. OJ had a much better handle and was a much better playmaker in college. Bazz has had tunnel vision all year he is so one dimensional. Force him right and be physical with him in the post and you will shut him down.

I don't see the OJ Comp at all except for off the court. OJ had a much better handle and was a much better playmaker in college. Bazz has had tunnel vision all year he is so one dimensional. Force him right and be physical with him in the post and you will shut him down.
    I think what he was talking about was the off the court stuff and his impact on the court, not style of play. Good, was supposed to be elite, one and done, will probably underwhelm in the pros.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Good, was supposed to be elite, one and done, will probably underwhelm in the pros...
    ...probably received a bag of cash from Tim Floyd.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

The student athlete No way Bazz has been going to class kids like him are killing the student athlete and college game. The product suffers like I said make it like baseball let them be drafted out of HS but if they go to college stay 3 years. I am sure their are plenty of real student athletes that could use his scholarship and get a degree. The entailment his Dad has is flat out embarrassing. Not picking Duke or UK because he was afraid he wouldn't get touches . I don't want a kid worried about touches on my team, I mean MKG barley took the least amount of shots a game for UK and still went #2 overall. If you can play it doesn't matter. The problem is he is so damn selfish he only cares about himself and you cant win with guys like that.
    Student athlete!!! If you want to watch student athletes, watch Division III ball. The high levels of college basketball are athlete-students, NOT student-athletes, and have been my entire life.

I agree that the entitlement of his father is appalling, but that's the exception, not the rule. If you're worried about the student part of student athletes, or more accurately athlete students, then just think about how much class these kids are missing while participating in the NCAA tournament. Then go watch a Division III game.

we need a dislike button for posts like the last one.

At a few select places, like IU, the student-athlete concept is not dead and buried. Sampson almost killed it, but it's back. And if Vonleh is indeed a one-and-done who cares little about even being in school, next year's team will be diminished in my eyes as a fan and alum even if they won a championship. I truly feel this way and so do many others. It's not a new sentiment either. One of my favorite graduation stories was Isiah Thomas finishing his degree and fulfilling a promise to his Mom, his coach, and his fans to finish, after leaving as a sophomore while hanging a banner. That banner got even more special, to me, that day. I do not think I am alone. One this year would be a little more special to me knowing we have two academic all-Americans, graduating seniors and even juniors, and the full expectation that even if Cody goes pro he will find a way to wrap up a degree over 80% complete in two years.

I am fine being the anti-Calipari, who has had fewer players he's coached earn degrees in 20 years than there are men who have walked on the moon.

People with no interest at all in being in college shouldn't be there, at IU. Go to Chicken John the sideshow barker.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 03-23-2013 at 08:54 AM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    we need a dislike button for posts like the last one.

At a few select places, like IU, the student-athlete concept is not dead and buried. Sampson almost killed it, but it's back. And if Vonleh is indeed a one-and-done who cares little about even being in school, next year's team will be diminished in my eyes as a fan and alum even if they won a championship. I truly feel this way and so do many others. It's not a new sentiment either. One of my favorite graduation stories was Isiah Thomas finishing his degree and fulfilling a promise to his Mom, his coach, and his fans to finish, after leaving as a sophomore while hanging a banner. That banner got even more special, to me, that day. I do not think I am alone. One this year would be a little more special to me knowing we have two academic all-Americans, graduating seniors and even juniors, and the full expectation that even if Cody goes pro he will find a way to wrap up a degree over 80% complete in two years.

I am fine being the anti-Calipari, who has had fewer players he's coached earn degrees in 20 years than there are men who have walked on the moon.

People with no interest at all in being in college shouldn't be there, at IU. Go to Chicken John the sideshow barker.
    I agree. We do need a dislike button so I can dislike this post as well.

Here's my point. Isiah Thomas went to Indiana to PLAY BASKETBALL FIRST. Earning a degree was nice, but basketball was his first priority.

Jordan Hulls has no chance at an NBA career. But he too went to Indiana to PLAY BASKETBALL FIRST. That's wonderful that Zeller is an academic all-american. That doesn't change the fact that he chose to go to Indiana to PLAY BASKETBALL FIRST. That's why they should be called athlete-students at the highest levels of college basketball.

The more I think about it, I'm not that appalled by what Shabazz Muhammad's father did. He saw a system that is completely broken and decided to do what he thought best for his son. I agree with Trader Joe that his NBA career will be a disappointment because he's never learned how to play team ball.

I'll be unavailable to defend myself for the rest of the day, so please feel free to pile on. But also please tell how Cody Zeller chose to attend Indiana because of academics first and basketball second. Then I'll call them student-athletes.

Playing basketball can be your first priority. Not a word of my post indicates otherwise. The problem comes when being in school is not ANYWHERE on your priority list.

Not #1.
    Not #10.
    Not #100.

People with no interest at all in being in college shouldn't be there
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Didn't Hulls grow up in Bloomington? I have a feeling he would have wanted to go there regardless if he was playing basketball. It's impossible to claim to know a kid's true motivation and put a percentage on it.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Train For This Useful Post:

People with no interest at all in being in college shouldn't be there
    As an aside that could devolve into a separate (and spirited) non-basketball thread, I would argue that all-too-many college attendees ("students") are interested only in the social environment of college, not in the pedagogical "student learning" aspect of college.
    "I'd run through a brick wall for that man."
    - Roy Hibbert on playing for Coach Frank Vogel

24. The Following User Says Thank You to DrFife For This Useful Post:

To change the subject from the whole "student-athlete" debate, does anyone else think Matthew Dellavedova is worth a secound round look for us? He has good size, and might be the best guard in the nation at running the pick and roll. Reminds me a lot of Grievis Vasquez, but with a better shot, though a bit smaller.

Mood

Tim Hardaway is the guy I want for the Pacers. I like a lot of wings but he is the best fit for us IMO.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    I agree. We do need a dislike button so I can dislike this post as well.

Here's my point. Isiah Thomas went to Indiana to PLAY BASKETBALL FIRST. Earning a degree was nice, but basketball was his first priority.

Jordan Hulls has no chance at an NBA career. But he too went to Indiana to PLAY BASKETBALL FIRST. That's wonderful that Zeller is an academic all-american. That doesn't change the fact that he chose to go to Indiana to PLAY BASKETBALL FIRST. That's why they should be called athlete-students at the highest levels of college basketball.

The more I think about it, I'm not that appalled by what Shabazz Muhammad's father did. He saw a system that is completely broken and decided to do what he thought best for his son. I agree with Trader Joe that his NBA career will be a disappointment because he's never learned how to play team ball.

I'll be unavailable to defend myself for the rest of the day, so please feel free to pile on. But also please tell how Cody Zeller chose to attend Indiana because of academics first and basketball second. Then I'll call them student-athletes.
    The issue is when the likes of Jordan Hull (great student solid college player) cannot go to a major program or the one they want because a guy who has no interest in school has that scholarship.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Tim Hardaway is the guy I want for the Pacers. I like a lot of wings but he is the best fit for us IMO.
    I'd like that, but I think we're trading up in the draft to pick the Kansas center Withey.

I'd like that, but I think we're trading up in the draft to pick the Kansas center Withey.

I like that idea! I've seen Withery play a couple of times b4 this year, and I liked him then. After this game, I like him even more. I'll definately watch him more in the tournament.

KY has a good new crop coming in next year too! Those that want a great chance to go to the NBA choose to go to schools that get them there. Education isn't what every undergrade BB wants whether you like it or not. The NBA pretty much dictates they have to go to college for 1 year before they can go pro. AND yes, there are many athlete student players using college as a stepping stone to the NBA who could care less about getting an education. They are interested in making millions not reading the classics, and going to college is the path to their dream. Like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    They'll lose tomorrow. Trey Burke and the Michigan guards won't be phased by Havoc, at least not late in the game. VCU's entire game is based on forcing turnovers. They're playing the team that gives up the least amount of turnovers per possession. Michigan wins going away.
    Great post!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by lolwuttermelons View Post
    To change the subject from the whole "student-athlete" debate, does anyone else think Matthew Dellavedova is worth a secound round look for us? He has good size, and might be the best guard in the nation at running the pick and roll. Reminds me a lot of Grievis Vasquez, but with a better shot, though a bit smaller.
    no he isnt a NBA player IMO

Like I said VCU isn't a talented team(they play hard to help counterbalance that) and they got expose by a team with just 100X more talent.

no he isnt a NBA player IMO

Like I said VCU isn't a talented team(they play hard to help counterbalance that) and they got expose by a team with just 100X more talent.
    what do you think of Troy Daniels?
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    what do you think of Troy Daniels?
    Not a NBA player. JMO. I said the same thing about JLin so it is not as it means much. Not many said Lin was a NBA player. There are so many good wings in the Dleague who could be ok in the league if given a chance. Guys may never get a chance who could play at a Sam Young type level. Just not enough spots for everyone. Btw I don't think he is one of these guys I highly doubt he ever play a second of NBA ball. But hey Ben Hans is clearly not an NBA caliber player but got a year so who knows.