Page 15 of 65 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 NBA draft prospects thread

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good question. Ditto with James McAdoo. Those guys were being talked up as lottery picks last year... now they're being mocked in the 20s! What gives?

Oh well, their loss, our (potential) gain. Take a shot at a lottery talent PF, and see if we could work out their issues. Could do worse in this draft.
    Both of those guys should be gets for us.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2012-2013 NBA draft prospects thread

Good question. Ditto with James McAdoo. Those guys were being talked up as lottery picks last year... now they're being mocked in the 20s! What gives?

Oh well, their loss, our (potential) gain. Take a shot at a lottery talent PF, and see if we could work out their issues. Could do worse in this draft.
    McAdoo isn't very good at basketball I wouldn't want him. I am not a fan of his game at all.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post

I get what you mean but will we have the assets to get move up?
    Depends on who has his draft spot.

I'd rather do that as to have drafted Chumlee.

To me trading the pick last year would have been the better option. Not sure it wouldn't be an option to consider again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I have to be honest--I don't love Cody Zeller's NBA potential.

Which is why he needs another year of college experience to refine his game. Maybe two more.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Ok, I have some questions for those of you that are more into college hoops than me (ie. almost everyone ).

1) What do you think about Gonzaga's Kelly Olynyk? DX has him going #17 while Draftnet has him going #16. I read up on him today and most people seem to agree that he could sneak into the lottery. I watched some videos of him and he seems to have good offensive skills, a nice motor and amazing co-ordination for a 7 footer. He is not a great athlete but someone with his combination of size and co-ordination should be able to translate in the NBA. Does anyone know his wingspan? Do you see him falling if Gonzaga has a bad tournament?

2) What do you think about Georgetown's Otto Porter? I'm always intrigued by Georgetown's Forwards and Centers since they tend to produce frontcourt players with solid basketball fundamentals and not just athletes. DX has him going #11 while Draftnet has him going #3. He is only 19 years old currently and at 6'8 with a 7'1 wingspan he could grow even more. Do you see him translating into a Power Forward or will he be a Small Forward in the NBA level?

3) What do you think about Oregon's Arsalan Kazemi? He played in Rice last season and posted some amazing advanced stats. He transfered to Oregon and his stats fell. He doesn't appear in either mock draft. Not even a 2nd round pick. That's probably due to his age as he is already 22 years old (he is 12 days older than Paul George and 3 months plus 13 days older than Lance). But he's putting up good numbers (9.4 PPG, 9.9 RPG, 2.2 SPG and 1.3 APG) while shooting 59.5% from the floor and 71.8% from the line for a ranked team in a strong conference. He is considered a good defender that knows where to be on the floor but at 6'8, 225 lbs it's obvious that he isn't going to be a rim protector. But maybe he can be a PF version of Sam Young without the 3s? Or he will translate to a SF and thus be the taller version of Sam Young without the 3s? Should we snatch him in the second round?
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Mood

Ok, I have some questions for those of you that are more into college hoops than me (ie. almost everyone ).

1) What do you think about Gonzaga's Kelly Olynyk? DX has him going #17 while Draftnet has him going #16. I read up on him today and most people seem to agree that he could sneak into the lottery. I watched some videos of him and he seems to have good offensive skills, a nice motor and amazing co-ordination for a 7 footer. He is not a great athlete but someone with his combination of size and co-ordination should be able to translate in the NBA. Does anyone know his wingspan? Do you see him falling if Gonzaga has a bad tournament?

2) What do you think about Georgetown's Otto Porter? I'm always intrigued by Georgetown's Forwards and Centers since they tend to produce frontcourt players with solid basketball fundamentals and not just athletes. DX has him going #11 while Draftnet has him going #3. He is only 19 years old currently and at 6'8 with a 7'1 wingspan he could grow even more. Do you see him translating into a Power Forward or will he be a Small Forward in the NBA level?

3) What do you think about Oregon's Arsalan Kazemi? He played in Rice last season and posted some amazing advanced stats. He transfered to Oregon and his stats fell. He doesn't appear in either mock draft. Not even a 2nd round pick. That's probably due to his age as he is already 22 years old (he is 12 days older than Paul George and 3 months plus 13 days older than Lance). But he's putting up good numbers (9.4 PPG, 9.9 RPG, 2.2 SPG and 1.3 APG) while shooting 59.5% from the floor and 71.8% from the line for a ranked team in a strong conference. He is considered a good defender that knows where to be on the floor but at 6'8, 225 lbs it's obvious that he isn't going to be a rim protector. But maybe he can be a PF version of Sam Young without the 3s? Or he will translate to a SF and thus be the taller version of Sam Young without the 3s? Should we snatch him in the second round?
    Kelly Olynyk is super overrated for the NBA IMO. I love him as a college player but he is really weak on defense and rebounding. I love his hands, feet and offensive game. It really reminds me of Nik Vucievc at USC. I just don't think his defense and more importantly rebounding is good enough to be a good starter. Nik is an elite re bounder and ok defender to go with his awesome offensive game and that is why I loved him at USC. Kelly is really weak in those areas. I could see Kelly being like a young Charlie V when he was with the Bucks at the next level which was a solid rotation guy but really limited. The coaching staff and what not will need to use him perfectly or he wont be as effective IMO. But I do love how good he is with both hands very skilled guy. I wish he knew how to pass better as well he often gets got trying to do to much that is the biggest difference between Nik and Kelly. Nik lets the game come to him and Kelly doesn't move the ball as much it kind of frustrates me.

Porter is a stud. He really surprised me I had him pegged as overrated by most at the start of the year boy did he prove me wrong. He gets better every game and is arguably the player of the year in college basketball with a skill set that will be very good in the NBA. He isnt going to be a go to guy at the next level IMO(unless he keeps getting better at this same rate but it's possible) but a more than solid 3rd or 4th guy on a team. Very low risk guy IMO I think he is a lottery guy for sure.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 03-05-2013 at 07:09 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll only refer to the 2nd question about Porter because he's the only player I've given a good portion of time looking into. And he's good. Really good. Has a sweet shot that has range, can get physical in the paint and isn't afraid to play defense. The physical tools are all there, he's starting to really come on late in the year after a little time to aclimate to the college scale and he seems like a savy basketball player.

However, he will be best playing the 3 in the NBA. Even if he bulks up he will still be small playing at the 4. Seeing as we already have a top 5 small forward in PG I wouldn't get too high on him.
    "There is a time to play and a time to win. It is what you do during winning time that differentiates the average players from stars."

~Ahmad Rashad~

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Hinds View Post
    I'll only refer to the 2nd question about Porter because he's the only player I've given a good portion of time looking into. And he's good. Really good. Has a sweet shot that has range, can get physical in the paint and isn't afraid to play defense. The physical tools are all there, he's starting to really come on late in the year after a little time to aclimate to the college scale and he seems like a savy basketball player.

However, he will be best playing the 3 in the NBA. Even if he bulks up he will still be small playing at the 4. Seeing as we already have a top 5 small forward in PG I wouldn't get too high on him.
    I think Porter will be able to play where ever at the NBA level. 2-4 depending on the matchup. The more I watch him the more he reminds me of a more polished Mo Harkless from last years draft. Who I loved as a player and think will do big things in time. Just a great tool set and a very complete player.

Sports Logo

Thank you for the answers, guys

In return allow me to talk about 3 European prospects:

1) Dario Saric: Probably the most well-known Euro prospect of the draft (not the most hyped though due to Gobert's monstrous wingspan). He is an 18 year old, 6'10, 223 lbs SF with a 6'10 wingspan. He has the same height and weight like Gallinari but a shorter wingspan (Gallo has a 7'05" wingspan). As he is only 18 he can still grow a bit but I'm not sure that he would be able to play PF. He still needs to bulk up a bit and develop a more reliable 3 point shot. He is a good all-around player and he is averaging 7.8 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 1.8 APG, 1.1 SPG and 0.8 BPG in 22.7 MPG in the Adriatic League (mid tier) with Cibona. He has a good handle and good court vision for someone at his size. He could go late lottery or slightly below it.

Here is a video of him against Partizan (one of Cibona's main rivals in the Adriatic League). It is from October 2011 which means that he was 17 years old back then:

2) Sergey Karasev: He is the most productive Euro prospect of the draft. He is 19 years old, he plays for Triumph Moscow and he led his team to a flawless 6 - 0 1st round in the Eurocup (mid tier competition). Unfortunately, they failed to advance past the top 16 stage as they had a poor 2 - 4 record in the top 16 round. In any case, he put up 16.1 PPG, 3 RPG and 2.4 APG on 44.2 FG%, 49 3p% (on 4.6 tries per game) and 82.6 FT% in 33.2 MPG. He is an excellent shooter with good size and decent court vision. He is left handed and played some SG for his club when needed. However, he is a bad defender, a below average athlete and is mostly good at attempting his shot after 1-2 dribbles.

Here is a scouting video of him:

3) Giannis Adetokunbo: He is the most obscure Euro prospect of the draft. Currently, he doesn't really appear in most mock drafts (DX is an exception and has him at #29, though) but he could make a big jump in the boards if he comes to the US for the workouts due to his raw physical gifts.

The following paragraph has nothing to do with basketball but it's interesting nonetheless:

Giannis Adetokunbo is an interesting story. His parents are from Nigeria and in 1992 they emigrated to Greece. Greece is one of the slowest countries in Europe (and maybe even in the world) to grant official citizenship to immigrants (or provide asylum) and according to the law an immigrant's kids are not granted citizenship either even if they were born in Greece. Therefore, Giannis Adetokunbo does not hold official Greek citizenship despite being born here (he was born in 1994, his parents came here in 1992). He does have a Greek birth certificate, though, and he has been able to attend school due to it.

Alright, back to basketball:

What is Giannis Adetokunbo? Mainly he is a physical specimen. He is an 18 year old that stands at 6'9, weights 196 lbs, has a reported 7'3 wingspan and a strong upper body coupled with a great frame that can fill out. He also has huge hands and he grew 3 inches in the last 10 months.

He has good ball-handling and passing skills and he is easily able to take someone off the dribble. His shooting needs some work and his defense is not consistent yet as he lacks experience but considering his physical gifts he can be molded into a great defender.

Here is a video of him dissecting the U18 team of the city I currently live in, Aigaleo:

And here is the video that DX uploaded recently:

And here is a whole match against the U18 squad of Panathinaikos BC (a powerhouse in Greece and Europe that won the Euroleague in 2007, 2009 and 2011 and the Triple Crown in 2007 and 2009):

He is the #11 with the red jersey.

Giannis signed a deal with Zaragoza in December. He is contract is set to begin in the 2013 -2014 season and it runs through the 2016 - 2017 season.

However, the contract is reported to have comfortable NBA out clauses at the end of every summer, including this one. According to his agent (Giorgos Dimitripoulos), Giannis Adetokunbo will almost certainly enter his name in the draft and will there is an 80 - 90 % chance that he will stay in.

In any case, the ACB (the league in which Zaragoza plays) is the strongest league in Europe and Zaragoza is team that is good in developing talent.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Mood

Everyone needs to watch Boise vs San Diego st today should be a great game. It's on NBC Sports channel.

Right now this Ok St vs KST is a really good game.

Rodney McGruder seems like the type of guy the Pacers like. Tough minded good basketball player. I doubt he gets drafted, but I would love to give him n invite to camp I could see him carving out a niche in the league.

When LeBryan Nash wants to play good basketball he is so freaking good I just wish it was more often. If he is on the board when we pick he would probably be the guy if he or Tony Mitchell drop they would be ideal projects. Nash learning from West would be ideal maybe West could talk him into being a power player. He has the talents to be it just seems he wants to be a wing. Nash is the same size as West just much more athletic. He also shows more than flashes in the post. I mean he doesn't have Dwest footwork or even close but he has a solid foundation to build

I also cant wait for Fresno vs UNLV I was afraid it wouldn't be on it took be awhile to find. Luckily the Laker new TWC TV station is carrying it.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 03-09-2013 at 04:03 PM.

Mood

Thank you for the answers, guys

In return allow me to talk about 3 European prospects:

1) Dario Saric: Probably the most well-known Euro prospect of the draft (not the most hyped though due to Gobert's monstrous wingspan). He is an 18 year old, 6'10, 223 lbs SF with a 6'10 wingspan. He has the same height and weight like Gallinari but a shorter wingspan (Gallo has a 7'05" wingspan). As he is only 18 he can still grow a bit but I'm not sure that he would be able to play PF. He still needs to bulk up a bit and develop a more reliable 3 point shot. He is a good all-around player and he is averaging 7.8 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 1.8 APG, 1.1 SPG and 0.8 BPG in 22.7 MPG in the Adriatic League (mid tier) with Cibona. He has a good handle and good court vision for someone at his size. He could go late lottery or slightly below it.

Here is a video of him against Partizan (one of Cibona's main rivals in the Adriatic League). It is from October 2011 which means that he was 17 years old back then:

2) Sergey Karasev: He is the most productive Euro prospect of the draft. He is 19 years old, he plays for Triumph Moscow and he led his team to a flawless 6 - 0 1st round in the Eurocup (mid tier competition). Unfortunately, they failed to advance past the top 16 stage as they had a poor 2 - 4 record in the top 16 round. In any case, he put up 16.1 PPG, 3 RPG and 2.4 APG on 44.2 FG%, 49 3p% (on 4.6 tries per game) and 82.6 FT% in 33.2 MPG. He is an excellent shooter with good size and decent court vision. He is left handed and played some SG for his club when needed. However, he is a bad defender, a below average athlete and is mostly good at attempting his shot after 1-2 dribbles.

Here is a scouting video of him:

3) Giannis Adetokunbo: He is the most obscure Euro prospect of the draft. Currently, he doesn't really appear in most mock drafts (DX is an exception and has him at #29, though) but he could make a big jump in the boards if he comes to the US for the workouts due to his raw physical gifts.

The following paragraph has nothing to do with basketball but it's interesting nonetheless:

Giannis Adetokunbo is an interesting story. His parents are from Nigeria and in 1992 they emigrated to Greece. Greece is one of the slowest countries in Europe (and maybe even in the world) to grant official citizenship to immigrants (or provide asylum) and according to the law an immigrant's kids are not granted citizenship either even if they were born in Greece. Therefore, Giannis Adetokunbo does not hold official Greek citizenship despite being born here (he was born in 1994, his parents came here in 1992). He does have a Greek birth certificate, though, and he has been able to attend school due to it.

Alright, back to basketball:

What is Giannis Adetokunbo? Mainly he is a physical specimen. He is an 18 year old that stands at 6'9, weights 196 lbs, has a reported 7'3 wingspan and a strong upper body coupled with a great frame that can fill out. He also has huge hands and he grew 3 inches in the last 10 months.

He has good ball-handling and passing skills and he is easily able to take someone off the dribble. His shooting needs some work and his defense is not consistent yet as he lacks experience but considering his physical gifts he can be molded into a great defender.

Here is a video of him dissecting the U18 team of the city I currently live in, Aigaleo:

And here is the video that DX uploaded recently:

And here is a whole match against the U18 squad of Panathinaikos BC (a powerhouse in Greece and Europe that won the Euroleague in 2007, 2009 and 2011 and the Triple Crown in 2007 and 2009):

He is the #11 with the red jersey.

Giannis signed a deal with Zaragoza in December. He is contract is set to begin in the 2013 -2014 season and it runs through the 2016 - 2017 season.

However, the contract is reported to have comfortable NBA out clauses at the end of every summer, including this one. According to his agent (Giorgos Dimitripoulos), Giannis Adetokunbo will almost certainly enter his name in the draft and will there is an 80 - 90 % chance that he will stay in.

In any case, the ACB (the league in which Zaragoza plays) is the strongest league in Europe and Zaragoza is team that is good in developing talent.
    Giannis Adetokunbo is a guy I have never heard of. I haven't watched Zaragoza, to be honest I have almost taken the euroleague off this year just don't have the time. The tape where he scores 45 is a joke though that would be like me scoring 30 on a bunch of 6th graders lol he is clearly above that league. What league is that anyway? I like the skill set based on the highlights but I never grade off highlights I need to see him play a few games before I can talk further about him. He moves and frame looks a lot like Nic Batum though IMO.

I have seen Partizan a few times because I like their pg and like watching Davis Bertans play, outside of that not much more. I will watch Saric when we get closer to the draft.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 03-09-2013 at 05:32 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Mood

Derrick Marks!!! What a play!!! This Boise vs San Diego st game has been as advertised what a game. Boise looks like they will be going dancing.

Mood

Trey Burke drives me nuts so talented but settles for too much garbage. He needs to work on his floor game. He reminds me so much of a right handed Brandon Jennings in terms of just shot selection. He gets into the lane but makes terrible decisions when he gets there. He also loves contested 3s. It just drives me nuts. He is to talented for the way he plays IMO.

Mitch McGary is so LOL he has no skill with the ball reminds me so much of Tyler with us.

I still really like Tim Hardaway Jr. his jumper is so smooth and has great feet.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    What league is that anyway?
    U18 League

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Trey Burke drives me nuts so talented but settles for too much garbage. He needs to work on his floor game. He reminds me so much of a right handed Brandon Jennings in terms of just shot selection. He gets into the lane but makes terrible decisions when he gets there. He also loves contested 3s. It just drives me nuts. He is to talented for the way he plays IMO.

Mitch McGary is so LOL he has no skill with the ball reminds me so much of Tyler with us.

I still really like Tim Hardaway Jr. his jumper is so smooth and has great feet.
    McGary actually caught my eye a bit, I liked him when I saw him playing AAU, athletic, had a decent spot up shot, and was physical, this was his junior year. I wonder how long he will try to stay and how his game will come along, he will definitely have to work on his low post offense.
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    McGary actually caught my eye a bit, I liked him when I saw him playing AAU, athletic, had a decent spot up shot, and was physical, this was his junior year. I wonder how long he will try to stay and how his game will come along, he will definitely have to work on his low post offense.
    McGary is a very good Freshmen. He knows his role and doesn't try to do much more outside of what is asked from him currently. I think in the next 1-2 years he will really start to show his post game to go along with his great hustle and passing. It's just not something that is asked of him currently.

Also...Trey Burke 1st team All American and B1G Player of the year.

Burke bothers me because he tends to make hay against the lesser opponents but then is a chucker in big games.

Trey Burke shooting against quality BIG opponents this year

OSU 4-13
    Minny 5-15
    IU 9-24
    OSU 6-12
    Wisconsin 8-21
    MSU 7-11 (in a blowout loss)
    MSU again 8-17
    IU 7-20

So while he was a 48% FG shooter overall, when it mattered most he shot 40.6%. Volume shooter of step-back 3's when they needed more efficiency from him.

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Burke bothers me because he tends to make hay against the lesser opponents but then is a chucker in big games.

Trey Burke shooting against quality BIG opponents this year

OSU 4-13
    Minny 5-15
    IU 9-24
    OSU 6-12
    Wisconsin 8-21
    MSU 7-11 (in a blowout loss)
    MSU again 8-17
    IU 7-20

So while he was a 48% FG shooter overall, when it mattered most he shot 40.6%. Volume shooter of step-back 3's when they needed more efficiency from him.

Bingo.

He's way too much of a "hero ball" guy for my taste. In the Ohio State game a couple of weeks ago, Hardaway Jr was on FIRE, hitting everything he put up. So, it totally makes sense to have Burke dribble around and jack up a long, contested 3 at the end of the game, right? Problem is, Burke thinks he's really clutch, thinks he should take all the big shots, thinks he's a great shooter...and that lack of awareness is going to be a problem if teams expect him to play the 1 at the pro level.

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    I think McGary will be pretty good down the road, but right now he needs to stay in school. His shot, from what I have seen, is broke. I think another year or two in school and he could be very good.

Mood

I love tj warren's game, he passes the eye test every time I watch him play. Just a good player. Great day for ball that Brandon Paul GW was so nice. I agree on McGary I like his future he has the length Tyler lacks. I was just pointing out he has a long way to go on both ends. He has already made massive improvment this year.

Mood

Does anybody fear an Austin rivers like transition for Trey Burke into the NBA? I didn't watch much of Dukes regular season and they didn't make a very deep run in the tourney but Rivers looked to have talent but its been a struggle for him. Now even with a limited viewing I'm sure Burke passes much better and his defense seems sharpe. I think hero ball can really drag a player down if he doesn't adjust well. So I guess I think Burke is a better player but its his temperament and mental toughness I'm alluding to. The upcoming Madness will tell me more but just a vibe I started picking up.
    "There is a time to play and a time to win. It is what you do during winning time that differentiates the average players from stars."

~Ahmad Rashad~

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Hinds View Post
    Does anybody fear an Austin rivers like transition for Trey Burke into the NBA? I didn't watch much of Dukes regular season and they didn't make a very deep run in the tourney but Rivers looked to have talent but its been a struggle for him. Now even with a limited viewing I'm sure Burke passes much better and his defense seems sharpe. I think hero ball can really drag a player down if he doesn't adjust well. So I guess I think Burke is a better player but its his temperament and mental toughness I'm alluding to. The upcoming Madness will tell me more but just a vibe I started picking up.
    Rivers hurt Duke more than he helped. Burke helps Michigan a lot I don't see that comparsion at all. I was not a Rivers fan at all hated how he played in college. Coach K was happy he was gone. Burke like most rookies will struggle early. How much depends on how much the team who drafts him uses him. I wouldn't use him on ball as much as Michigan does. He will be ok if he can devlope his decision making. I hope he goes to a team with a veteran pg who he can learn from. Plus Rivers doesn't have a position. He can't play pg and a terrible defender at the sg. My comp for him at the draft was Barbosa. Burke has the skills to be a good pg. like all young pg's needs work. MCW is the same way bad decsion maker. That is to be expected it should improve in time. Marcus Smart is the only NBA ready pg in this draft his decsion making is terrific. If he gets a jump shot he will be unguard able. But that is the reason he is a top 5 pick and Burke and MCW will not be IMO.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 03-14-2013 at 03:25 PM.

Burke yet again pooping the bed against a good opponent. He may turn it on here at the end, but the guy has been wildly inconsistent against good teams this season.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

I'm a big Durand Scott fan really like his skill set. He has his flaws but I like his game for the NBA. Scott Wood has to be Steve Novaks brother. Same stroke and everything he and Southerland may be good enoght shooters like Novak to be NBA guys even though that is all they can do.