Page 10 of 65 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 NBA draft prospects thread

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2012-2013 NBA draft prospects thread

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nerlens and Drummond might be different types of physical specimens, but honestly Noel was (is until last night probably) the much better athlete. He could have put on some muscle and been a much bigger force. I don't think there's any doubt he would have been 1 until last night happened.
    I dont know if I agree with that Drummond is what 270-280? There is a small chance Nerlans will get to that size and better yet still be as mobile as Drummond is at that size. Drummond is honestly a physical freak. This is coming from a once Berlans doubter but now love teh kid based on his play this year. Never though he would play that hard. Maybe Cals best job with a single player honestly watch a few of his HS games and then watch him the past 4 weeks the only similarity is the hair. Dude now has a serious motor.

I still love Noel even though I doubt he will every get to much above 240 but he can easily be a Ben Wallace type C or PF and with the new work ethic I think his offense might even get to passable. His only flaw is his perimeter defense and if that doesn't get improved he will get the Roy Hibbert treatment like Roy got from Miami in the playoffs High PnR all day and you can neglect some of his defense. I expect that to improve though he just needs more experience.

Wow looking at McCallum's line from last night...

16 points, only 12 FG attempts, 8 assists, 4 steals, 1 turnover, 8 offensive rebounds (!), 13 overall boards

Late first might be a stretch, but not a Miles Plumlee-level stretch.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=330432174

dunk of the night: http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...of-the-night-2
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 02-13-2013 at 02:26 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Noel may of just blown his knee out couldn't walk at all looked nasty. So maybe JT is gonna end up right maybe. I really hope it isnt the case it would be a shame an injury cost him a top 3 pick. But his best asset is his mobility so it would be so sad if he tore his knee up.

I watched most of the 1st half of the game, but Westminister took priority the rest of the evening so this is the 1st I've heard of Noel's knee situation. I'll have to make a call later to KY to find out what my friends know. I just hope it isn't serious.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I watched most of the 1st half of the game, but Westminister took priority the rest of the evening so this is the 1st I've heard of Noel's knee situation. I'll have to make a call later to KY to find out what my friends know. I just hope it isn't serious.
    He tore his ACL.

Hey age limit, **** you

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Consistently good nba teams should never be in favor of the age limit, for the lack of it pushes quality down the draft.

Trey Burke
    Smothered Chicken!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    He tore his ACL.

Hey age limit, **** you
    No doubt I hate the NBA rules should change it to how baseball does it. I feel so bad for that kid. I am relieved it is just an ACL it looked a lot worse to me.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

No doubt I hate the NBA rules should change it to how baseball does it. I feel so bad for that kid. I am relieved it is just an ACL it looked a lot worse to me.
    If the NBA had a real farm system I'd be all over this.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    If the NBA had a real farm system I'd be all over this.
    Seth and I talked about this issue the other night. I honestly believe we are less than a decade a way from a full minor league system. He agreed with u I want it changed sooner than that.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Injuries aren't going to change the NBA age limit.

Unless they're going to start signing kids while their in the womb, injuries and freak accidents are going to cost players their careers. No way around it. You're just haggling over where the line should be.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

Unless they're going to start signing kids while their in the womb, injuries and freak accidents are going to cost players their careers. No way around it. You're just haggling over where the line should be.
    Yes, but at 18 that is the age you are no longer a minor and can legally think for yourself. I think It would be stupid to go below that age mark, but I also believe it's ridiculous that at 18 you can't get drafted in the NBA.

Happy to hear Noel has insurance and will likley get compensated if he drops out of the top 3 for whatever the difference will be. It may be hard to prove he will a lock for a top 3 pick but I think it can be done.

I doubt he falls much at all really hell if I am a team like the Bobcats and their pick is 4th or 5th I would draft him regardless as long as everything is looking good. That would help them tank for Wiggins next year. I doubt he drops out of the top 5. Next year will be a tank fest like no other. 15-20 will easily be tanking for Wiggins IMO.

Let me put it another way. The NBA knew there was this very risk as they made the policy. It happening isn't gonna change the rule.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Let me put it another way. The NBA knew there was this very risk as they made the policy. It happening isn't gonna change the rule.
    He could have torn it in HS. I don't have strong feelings either way. A true farm system would be ideal. NBDL could work.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Banned
    Mood

Trying to demonize the NBA and their age limit because of Noel's injury is just plain ignorance. If the NBA wants a year in between high school and draft eligibility in order to further evaluate their prospects, that's their prerogative. If NBA prospects don't want to wait that one-year period before getting paid, they always have the option of playing in non-NBA professional basketball leagues, as Brandon Jennings did, or enrolling at Kentucky.

Absolutely. The age limit is college basketball's problem, not the NBA's. Since those two organizations refuse to work together, the NBA has to do what's best for itself

I would like a true farm system, and I hope one thing Adam Silver does is stop investing money in the WNBA and start investing that money in the D-League, thereby raising salaries for D-League players. Give college players a legitimate opportunity to make decent money out of high school if you have no interest in going to college.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    stop investing money in the WNBA and start investing that money in the D-League, thereby raising salaries for D-League players.
    How much do you think WNBA players make? Defunding the WNBA isn't suddenly going to make for big salaries and D-League teams for all NBA teams, and it would hurt a product that is actually drawing some rather rabid fans - not to NBA numbers, but certainly to small college numbers.

Investing in the D-League is going to have to be an overall decision by the owners to stock teams with young guys and actually have them coached while there. Considering you could probably fund an entire D-League team for the cost of two MLE players, I don't think money is the obstacle.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

I think they should do what the NFL does and keep kids in college until after junior season. Look how mature the players are in the NFL when they enter the league. Now some college players are good enough to play after one college season like Derrick Rose, Kyrie Irving, etc. But, some guys are not mature enough to handle being in the NBA
    Smothered Chicken!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    I think they should do what the NFL does and keep kids in college until after junior season. Look how mature the players are in the NFL when they enter the league. Now some college players are good enough to play after one college season like Derrick Rose, Kyrie Irving, etc. But, some guys are not mature enough to handle being in the NBA
    Football and Basketball are totally different sports and players develop at a totally different rate in football to basketball. Kids aren't mature enough body wise in football they would get killed.

The whole one and done system has been a joke since being introduced. The majority of these kids have no interest and most don't even go to class. They are taking away a scholarship from a kid who wants to be there and get a degree. I just find the whole system as a joke.

WNBA players make around 50K from what I read about Courtney Paris a few years back. Paying Dleague guys another 50K especially the elite one and done guys could be the solution. Have a 17-19 year old draft and have a rookie pay scale. Say the #1 pick gets 100k and move down from there. That 100k would be life changing for most of these guys who grew up in poverty. It would not only make the college game better but it would be better for the Dleague and NBA. Make it like baseball where they take education seriously.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

100k would be gone before they knew what hit them. Most of them are gonna go broke after they make their millions, let alone one hundred thousand.

The mental approach is much more important than the phsyical. Guys with the phsyical tools to be NBA players, are dime a dozen.

Mood

100k would be gone before they knew what hit them. Most of them are gonna go broke after they make their millions, let alone one hundred thousand.

The mental approach is much more important than the phsyical. Guys with the phsyical tools to be NBA players, are dime a dozen.
    That is why playing with better competition and coaching will help. When there is a full 30 team league it will really help these young kids IMO. The likes of Archie Goodwin it will be a god send for.

That is why playing with better competition and coaching will help.
    Yep, and that's why they have to atleast go prove themselves at another level, before the NBA is willing to take the flier on them.

The age limit isn't going to change, so might as well get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post

I would like a true farm system, and I hope one thing Adam Silver does is stop investing money in the WNBA and start investing that money in the D-League, thereby raising salaries for D-League players.

Give college players a legitimate opportunity to make decent money out of high school if you have no interest in going to college.

Like to explain why you feel the NBA shouldn't invest money in the WNBA?

Mood

I agree Nash is a project but I am not suggesting trading up for him and trading Granger like people are with Glen. I am saying draft him and developme him like we have done with several other talented players. Good chance he busts but where we are picking it's not like there is a sure fire high upside guy there. I like his skill set and he would be a solid late first rd guy.

Shags I am guessing Noel goes #1 however he has a different body to Drummond. I actually like Noel's tape better than Drummond by a wide margin. However Noel's body is kind of limited he isn't wide like a Drummond or as long like a Davis. His frame isnt perfect that is why he isn't the #1 yet IMO.

JT Noel is coming out there is 0% chance he comes back. His stock would fall as soon as Wiggins declares next year. That concept of him coming back makes 0 sense under any situation. I would put everything I own on that he comes out. Where did you get this crazy idea he will come back? You obviously miss how UK works.
    Yeah, I was just bringing that up because of the conversation earlier in the year about my feelings about Nash, but I agree, I think there could be people with potential that fall to us, but they will definitely have areas in their game that are missing similar to last year. The thing will be do we take a developmental guy or go with a guy with a lower ceiling that is more pro ready.
    Why so SERIOUS

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Happy to hear Noel has insurance and will likley get compensated if he drops out of the top 3 for whatever the difference will be. It may be hard to prove he will a lock for a top 3 pick but I think it can be done.
    The insurance only pays out if he never plays again. It has to be a career ending injury.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

32. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    The insurance only pays out if he never plays again. It has to be a career ending injury.

Yeah, that's not how insurance really works.