Page 53 of 65 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 1619

Thread: 2012-2013 NBA draft prospects thread

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2012-2013 NBA draft prospects thread

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Haven't heard your CJ McCollum rumor/speculation. True it was under Bird, but I would be shocked if we drafted a kept a player that we never had in for a workout
    Well the wording is different than when I first remember...
    June 10 Update: McCollum is the sleeper here. A number of teams really like him, but he's yet to emerge atop their boards. He's completed workouts with the Magic, Suns, Kings and Blazers. He also has the Jazz, 76ers, Pacers and Timberwolves coming up. In particular, the Suns and Blazers look like two terrific options. Both teams are looking for scoring guards who can shoot and get to the basket. Right now, McCollum could be drafted in the Nos. 5-10 range.
    LINK

I remember after both my dad and I read that and talked about it, we thought it was weird they had brought him in b4 the group workouts had started... but now I go back and it is an upcoming workout instead of in the completed workout list.
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by tadscout View Post
    Well the wording is different than when I first remember...
    LINK

I remember after both my dad and I read that and talked about it, we thought it was weird they had brought him in b4 the group workouts had started... but now I go back and it is an upcoming workout instead of in the completed workout list.
    Seems like a probable typo to me, probably meant Pelicans.

Sports Logo

Is there a list of Players that the Pacers have brought in for tryouts?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Is there a list of Players that the Pacers have brought in for tryouts?
    down a bit on the right side

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/pacer...t-central-2013

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Damn..no Dieng yet or any PGs?

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Damn..no Dieng yet or any PGs?
    I don't know if that's actually all-inclusive, Jordan Hulls worked out and I remember seeing somewhere on Twitter that Canaan did too.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I don't know if that's actually all-inclusive, Jordan Hulls worked out and I remember seeing somewhere on Twitter that Canaan did too.

A Rice article from nbadraft.net

http://mdjonline.com/bookmark/229165...n-in-NBA-draft

INDIANAPOLIS — Former Walton High School standout Glen Rice Jr. already knows what to expect in his next job.

After spending last season competing against bigger bodies, more refined shooters and quicker guards than he ever faced in college, the 6-foot-6 shooting guard is now on the verge of becoming the first player to go from D-League star to NBA first-round draft pick.

“I think the D-League competition is a little better than people think and most of the guys have already been here (team workouts),” Rice said after his latest stop Monday at Indiana. “I think that was one of the biggest helps. All of my teammates have been through this and played in the summer league and they were able to tell me what I needed to work on last season.”

It made an impact, too.

Even Rice admits he’s a different player and a different person than the guy who finished his college career by getting booted out of Georgia Tech for too many off-the-court incidents 15 months ago.

Clearly, it’s not the traditional path to the NBA. Most top players hone their skills in American colleges or work their way up the ranks overseas and if that doesn’t work, they often return to international competition like San Antonio’s Gary Neal or work their way back through the D-League like the Spurs’ Danny Green and Miami’s Chris Andersen.

More than 130 players who appeared on NBA rosters this season spent some time in the D-League though virtually all of them waited until after the NBA draft to sign up. Rice couldn’t afford to wait because he had to prove he could play right away.

After getting benched at the end of his sophomore season in college and being suspended twice as a junior, Rice was kicked off the team in March 2012 following a shooting incident. He left school with career averages of 9.9 points, 4.8 rebounds and 2.1 assists.

Initially, it looked like he might be making a mistake. Rice played only 10.4 minutes through the first 16 regular-season D-League games, then finished the regular season by scoring 17.2 points over the final 26 games and dominated in the playoffs with averages of averages of 25.0 points, 9.5 rebounds and 4.3 assists, leading Rio Grande Valley to the league championship.

What changed? NBA director of scouting operations Ryan Blake believes Rice has matured from being a kid that “enjoyed school too much” by buckling down and focusing on basketball.

The challenge for Rice now is proving his fast finish was no fluke.

“I think when you’ve got size and can play on the perimeter, it really helps,” Blake said. “He’s not a great creator, but he improved his scoring from his days at Georgia Tech just tremendously. He’s become a better defender, but he could be even better. I think the size and athleticism is the key and knowing that system really helps.”

Rice also has something else working in his favor: Bloodlines.

His father led Michigan to the 1989 NCAA championship, was the fourth overall pick in the NBA draft that year and went on to make three All-Star Games and win one NBA title, with the Lakers in 2000. But Rice’s pursuit of an NBA career has never been about following in his father’s famous footsteps.

“I’ve seen him play, but that’s the biggest question, do I remember it? Not really. I’ve seen some of his tapes, but he doesn’t really have a lot of tapes around because his mom has most of them,” Rice Jr. said. “There might be a little added pressure, but that comes with the territory. I don’t really put any added pressure on myself.”

Rice wouldn’t be the first player drafted out of the D-League. League spokesman Tim Frank said there have been several players chosen in the second round.

The question is where does Rice fit exactly in a draft rife with tall, talented shooting guards?

“It’s one of the toughest questions because it’s also one of the deepest drafts,” Blake said. “For certain he’s going to be on someone’s summer league team, there’s no doubt about it. Could he be drafted in the first round? Absolutely. Could he be drafted in the second round? Absolutely. Could he not be drafted? He could be.”

Should Rice go in the first round, it could redefine the way other players view the D-League over time though that will likely take time given the league’s reputation.

Star Butler shooting guard Rotnei Clarke also attended Monday’s workout with the Pacers, and at 5-foot-11 acknowledged he’s unlikely to get drafted next week. While Clarke promised to do whatever it took to get to the NBA, Clarke said he had not spoken with Rice about his D-League experience and that it was unlikely he would follow that trek.

“If I go to the D-League, it would have to be a situation where I would be called up pretty quick,” he said. “I don’t want to spend the whole season there when I could go overseas and make a lot of money.”

For Rice, the decision was no mistake.

“I think he took the correct route because you’re playing in a league with NBA coaches, NBA systems and an NBA environment so you get a great teaching tool,” Blake said. “Most athletes have to pay their dues. They don’t just become top athletes in the world without paying their dues. But think about it. Here’s a guy that didn’t play much till the latter part of the year, but he worked hard and he got that opportunity. It can only help him.”

Read more: The Marietta Daily Journal - Glen Rice Jr may be first round selection in NBA draft
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Basically 2nd rd pick prospects is what I see. If by chance the Pacers aren't working out players for the 1st rd, could it be they have a trade in the works with no reason to workout 1st rd players? I realize there is still another week b4 the draft to bring 1st rd pick players in for workouts. My expectations are to see more higher quality players in for workouts, and hope to see this happen in the next week.

In the past, teams had workouts and other NBA teams were allowed to attend. Is this still a practice where possibly the Pacers have attended other teams workouts?

Mood

Wow Ben McLemore has been way out of shape in his workouts according to Chad Ford, and having some of the same agent problems as Noel. That is really sad love the kids talent, but if he doesn't have the work ethic that would suck. Hope he gets it together. I hope he just doesn't know better he has a rough backround. I bet they (his AAU coaches and handlers) treated him like a piece of meat growing up and is just naive to the process.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

FWIW Chad Ford said this in his recent chat:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/48279

Nets looking at wings and bigs -- Tony Snell, Tim Hardaway and Gourgi Dieng seem like possibiltiies.Pacers looking at PGs and bigs -- Kelly Olynyk, Isaiah Canaan both strongly in the mix there. Tony Snel another possibility.Knicks are a tougher read. Heard Tony Mitchell there a lot. Also hear they really like Nate Wolters.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    FWIW Chad Ford said this in his recent chat:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/48279

I'll be extremely disappointed if Dieng is still available and the Pacers don't draft him! I like Canaan and feel he'd be a good pick for the Pacers. Olynyk just doesn't excite me as a pick. I'm not looking for another disappointing Plumless pick.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Gorgui Dieng does not excite me in the slightest bit. I am warming up to Isaiah Canaan in the first round though.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Chad ford says we are interested in PG's yet have had like 1 in for a workout.

i legit think we have a trade down in place.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    Chad ford says we are interested in PG's yet have had like 1 in for a workout.

i legit think we have a trade down in place.
    I doubt it. Chad Ford isn't nearly as tuned in with the Pacers as he used to be.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

Franklin or Bullock please. Canaan would be okay too. NO OLYNYK!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Miller_time04 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Miller_time04 View Post
    Franklin or Bullock please. Canaan would be okay too. NO OLYNYK!
    Olynyk seems like a legit Backup PF scoring option....I'd take him over Mitchell if he was available at #23.
    Last edited by CableKC; 06-19-2013 at 06:44 PM.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I'll be extremely disappointed if Dieng is still available and the Pacers don't draft him! I like Canaan and feel he'd be a good pick for the Pacers. Olynyk just doesn't excite me as a pick. I'm not looking for another disappointing Plumless pick.
    Comparing Plumlee to Olynyk doesn't seem like a fair comparison. Olynyk is slated to be a legit 1st round pick....anywhere between 15 to the early 20s in various Mock Drafts. Whereas we can legitimately say that not that many Mocks/Scouts had slated Plumlee until the late 1st round ( which is questionable ) and more than likely a early 2nd rounder.

I can see why many are disappointed in the Plumlee pick cuz honestly...no one thought that he'd be picked so early by the Pacers....but for Olynyk...it's not so debatable as to whether he should be picked in the mid-teens to early 20s or not.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Olynyk seems like a legit Backup PF scoring option....I'd take him over Mitchell if he was available at #23.
    Why not Hardaway as a solid backup 2?
    "We want Miami"

Sports Logo

Are there any Quality Euro-Players that are in the draft that COULD fall to the 23rd spot that we may want to consider ( even if they don't come over immediately )?

Legit question......but is there any chance that IF a quality EuroPlayer drops to the Pacers at the 23rd spot ( meaning one that is clearly worth it ) that they would draft him then stash him overseas until the 2015-2016 season ( specifically AFTER PG, Lance and/or Granger is re-signed )?

That would save roughly $1.08 mil in 2014-2015 salary that can go towards re-signing Lance and/or Granger. I know, it's far fetched....but I can see this as a move for the 2nd round pick or even for the 2014-2015 offseason for either draft picks in order to save on Cap-Space

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    Why not Hardaway as a solid backup 2?
    JMHO....but we have a platoon of backup 2 and 3s that are being paid to watch on the bench. Like it or not...OJ and Green are on the bench. If we are looking for a legit Wing Player to get regular minutes....I'd rather give it to them ( yes, I am praying that Green is spending the summer with a Shooting Coach while continually texting Shaw for advice ).

Assuming ALL THINGS ARE EQUAL ( as in, there isn't much difference between drafting the Best Available Wing Player, PG or PF and therefore it's essentially a 3 way coin toss as to whose the best Player to pick )......IMHO....it's not far fetched to think that the FO and ( most notably ) Herb would question why we'd be spending another pick on another Wing Player when Granger ( assuming that he's here for the rest of the season ), OJ and Green is still sitting on the bench.

To be clear, I'm saying that if a Wing Player that the Pacers want is way up there on the Pacers BPA list and is WAY BETTER than the best available PG or PF.....then, I have no problem with choosing the BPA...even if it's a Wing Player. But if it's clearly debatable as to whose the BPA ( cuz honestly, we are talking about the 23rd pick...at this point...a likely role Player ) and you don't really lose either way...then I'd rather go with a Backup PG or PF......especially if Olynyk is on the board.
    Last edited by CableKC; 06-19-2013 at 07:22 PM.

Watching Otto Porter is like flashbacks of Granger when he was a college player and then a rookie.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hackashaq For This Useful Post:

JMHO....but we have a platoon of backup 2 and 3s that are being paid to watch on the bench. Like it or not...OJ and Green are on the bench. If we are looking for a legit Wing Player to get regular minutes....I'd rather give it to them ( yes, I am praying that Green is spending the summer with a Shooting Coach while continually texting Shaw for advice ).

Assuming ALL THINGS ARE EQUAL ( as in, there isn't much difference between drafting the Best Available Wing Player, PG or PF and therefore it's essentially a 3 way coin toss as to whose the best Player to pick )......IMHO....it's not far fetched to think that the FO and ( most notably ) Herb would question why we'd be spending another pick on another Wing Player when Granger ( assuming that he's here for the rest of the season ), OJ and Green is still sitting on the bench.

To be clear, I'm saying that if a Wing Player that the Pacers want is way up there on the Pacers BPA list and is WAY BETTER than the best available PG or PF.....then, I have no problem with choosing the BPA...even if it's a Wing Player. But if it's clearly debatable as to whose the BPA ( cuz honestly, we are talking about the 23rd pick...at this point...a likely role Player ) and you don't really lose either way...then I'd rather go with a Backup PG or PF......especially if Olynyk is on the board.

I don't think that anybody denys that Olynyk is an alright player, he just doesn't mesh well with our current group of bigs. We are probably the slowest frontline in the league, which gives us major matchup probems at times. Olynyk is good, but he's not good enough to overcome the fact that he's a slower, unathletic 7fter that cant rebound nor block shots effectively.

You put him on another team with athletes that can protect him, then he's a good asset. Put him on a team with fellow slow footed front court players, and it exploits a weakness of his and doesn't help a weakness of ours.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hackashaq View Post
    Watching Otto Porter is like flashbacks of Granger when he was a college player and then a rookie.
    I thought that too, especially on defense. Big difference is Otto moves well without the ball.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    You put him on another team with athletes that can protect him, then he's a good asset. Put him on a team with fellow slow footed front court players, and it exploits a weakness of his and doesn't help a weakness of ours.
    Wait, I thought Olynyk is pretty mobile for a big. Even p4e said so, and he's pretty harsh on Olynyk otherwise.

No shotblocking, but we have Roy and Mahinmi before that. I'd argue that we lack skill among our bench bigs, not athleticism. Mahinmi and Plumlee are both pretty athletic, and Pendergraph is no slouch either.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I prefer to get a Backup Big Man that is a ShotBlocker, scorer and can play as both the Backup PF and Backup Center ( the elusive "Player X" as TBird....such as Dieng )...but I'm inclined to think that if we can a Big Man like Olynyk that is mobile and a capable scorer....I'd be okay with that.