Page 1 of 65 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 NBA draft prospects thread

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default 2012-2013 NBA draft prospects thread

place to discuss prospects for next years draft

I have got started looking at tape earlier than last year. I have watched most of the guys in DX 13 mock and even some of the incoming freshman(not many though).

Honestly I dont like this draft much at all. Last year when I started watching I normally start with the 2nd rd projects and work my way to the 1st. I loved a ton of 2nd rd ers last year and though they were gonna be nice NBA players. This year the guys I have watched so far like Zeke Marshall out of Akron(dont like) and Deonte Burton(dont like Scott Machado stole his lunch) of Nevada not too many 2nd rd small school guys I like compared to last year.

In general I think it will be a really weak draft for returning guys. I mean Josh Smith in the top 20 of a draft

I will do some video of guys after the season gets going a bit. If you want to see a certain guy make a request and I will try to do a breakdown on video.

2 guys I love for the Pacers but wont likely be there Tony Mitchell of NT and Andre Roberson of Colorado both 4s. I love Tony Mitchell think he will be able to play the 3,4 or 5 at the NBA level and he isnt a tweeaner he is just a freak athletically very Rodman like. My only fault is his motor it isnt bad but he does take plays off which concerns me but as a defender he can be elite and he does have solid offensive skills off the bounce and a sweet stroke facing up. His rebounding is sweet he gets big boy rebounds and can go way out of area and over people to get them.

A-Rob is a project for sure but offensively very good needs to improve defensively(but he is a shot blocker) and not the best body my comp based on last year Carl Landry with a little more skill and a better rebounder and much better defensively if he improves (like I project he will basically im saying he has the tools to be a good defender but has yet to show it enough ).

who is everyone looking forward to watching next year??

could we sticky this??
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 07-10-2012 at 09:53 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 2012-2013 NBA draft prospects thread

is there gonna be another Josh Smith?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    is there gonna be another Josh Smith?
    Yes about a 320lb Josh Smith who wont be in the NBA 4 years after he is drafted dude is a cancer and really not even very good. Very selfish can only play a few mintues at a time but he does have post moves that we probably get someone to bite.

I personally wouldn't draft him unless he lost a ton of weight and changed his personality(rumors are that he has but is that just to get paid?? I mean I think he could fall back into his problems). I have heard that in practiced he gets special treatmeamt and is babied by Ben Howland.

But he is very hard to guard in the post very very good post moves. Very advanced for his age in the post but I cant draft a kid I could only play 10mpg at the NBA level and be a liability vs teams that run.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 07-10-2012 at 10:04 PM.

Sports Logo

How about Patric Young from Florida, he seems like a pretty tough kid?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Handoverfist For This Useful Post:

Long time reader, first time poster.

I am a college guy. I work for a college basketball site. I look forward to contributing to this thread.

Mitchell is talented but one of the laziest players I've ever seen. It may be that he joined the team at mid-season and was out of playing shape (although that's not a good sign, either), so I'd hesitate to call him an NBA sleeper.

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Indy For This Useful Post:

I def like Tony Mitchell, but he'll probably be too high for us. If he came out this year, he would have been where we picked.
    Last edited by Sparhawk; 07-17-2012 at 09:46 PM.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Once again, looks like this draft doesn't have many pgs again. Sucks for the Pacers.

Myck Kabongo is someone to keep an eye on though, but with so little pgs, he'll get drafted early for a team in need.

Now really free Lance!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

...Mason....Plumlee....

Now really free Lance!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    I'm def like Tony Mitchell, but he'll probably be too high for us. If he came out this year, he would have been where we picked.
    I disagree he goes lottery IMO he is a much better spect than a John Henson he probably would of went top 10. I dont like Kabango dont see the NBA skills to be a starter next year is a huge year for the guy.

Pat Young would of made sense if we didn't draft Plumlee and would of went with a scorer like a Barton or another guy at #26.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll of course be watching all the IU guys, will have my eye on Oladipo, wonder how high he can climb if he gets a jump shot. Don't have anyone picked out for the Pacers yet but I watch more college bball than any other sport so I'm sure some will start to stand out for our needs.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

I have watched a lot of tape this week. Watched these guys....

B.J. Young(undersized Combo guard who needs to add a ton of weight makes Will Barton look like a body builder not a huge fan maybe he can change my mind next year. Reminds me a ton of Barbosa),

LeBryan Nash(huge let down as a freshman hope he can change and become a better player as a sophomore,

Adonis Thomas(injury plagued season like Nash pretty big let down),

Alex Len(intriguing big man MAJOR PROJECT),

Otto Porter(I think he has potential but needs a ton of work college season next year will be telling on how good he will be. Maybe like the Thomas Robinson of the draft has the potential but hasn't got to play much yet)

All I can say is that unless some miracles happen developing wise this is gonna be the worst draft in a long time. I will wait until I see the incoming freshman to make a better evaluation and to see how the players come back develop.Currently the guys who are project lottery picks this year wouldn't of gone in the 1st last year.

last season at this time I loved the 2012 draft spects guys like Damian Lillard and many guys who I had 1st rd grades on were project in the 2nd and some of them got drafted in the 2nd.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 07-19-2012 at 12:06 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Mood

Nerlens Noel? Nah, he'll go to the Bobcats.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Mood

Just an FYI addias camp finals on CBS network tonight. It's channel 615 on direct tv for me. This camp last year was what solidified that Lillard was a top 5 prospect for me Deshaun Thomas is the kid who I've been most impressed with this year. He now as a great body you couldn't say that 5 months ago. I expect his stock to go way way up. Aaron Affalo played in a game last night that was pretty fun to watch

EDIT: They are showing the 2014 and 2013 classes not the college level tonight. This might be a different Adidas camp than what I watched last year.

This Dante Exum kid has shown so much this week he looks like he has superstar type potential at the NBA level but way to early to project. But from the 4 or 5 games I saw the kid has a special ability and is a stone cold killer.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 08-06-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    LeBryan Nash
    first time i hear about him, but come on. Couldn't his parents just name him LeBron Nash? That would be a guaranteed HOFamer.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I have watched a lot of tape this week. Watched these guys....

B.J. Young(undersized Combo guard who needs to add a ton of weight makes Will Barton look like a body builder not a huge fan maybe he can change my mind next year. Reminds me a ton of Barbosa),

LeBryan Nash(huge let down as a freshman hope he can change and become a better player as a sophomore,

Adonis Thomas(injury plagued season like Nash pretty big let down),

Alex Len(intriguing big man MAJOR PROJECT),

Otto Porter(I think he has potential but needs a ton of work college season next year will be telling on how good he will be. Maybe like the Thomas Robinson of the draft has the potential but hasn't got to play much yet)

All I can say is that unless some miracles happen developing wise this is gonna be the worst draft in a long time. I will wait until I see the incoming freshman to make a better evaluation and to see how the players come back develop.Currently the guys who are project lottery picks this year wouldn't of gone in the 1st last year.

last season at this time I loved the 2012 draft spects guys like Damian Lillard and many guys who I had 1st rd grades on were project in the 2nd and some of them got drafted in the 2nd.
    Thing with Nash to me is that he just did not seem comfortable playing his game at all, he did not play with any confidence, but he did get better as the year went on, he has an interesting game, but he has a lot of work to do this summer to really improve.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

One last thing, I agree that this draft looks really weak, not even that big a fan of Shabazz(for college yes, for nba....idk), he is a interesting player, but we will see how his game transitions to the NBA.

One guy I do like is Goodwin, should be interesting to see how he does this year.
    Why so SERIOUS

tank the season so we can draft Cody zeller
    David "And One" West

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    One last thing, I agree that this draft looks really weak, not even that big a fan of Shabazz(for college yes, for nba....idk), he is a interesting player, but we will see how his game transitions to the NBA.

One guy I do like is Goodwin, should be interesting to see how he does this year.
    Ray Mccallum is really the only kid I like a ton outside of Mitchell. His play at Detroit(turned down a ton of high level programs to play for his dad he was a top recruit and a McDonald's All-American) is impressive love the way he plays the game and add on to that some of his Adidas camps he has played in and shown he belongs I really like him. He has untapped potential IMO but I think he plays quite a while in the league even without finding it. Hell of an athlete though I expect a huge breakout season next year.

But really this draft may be unreal bad unless a lot happens.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 08-06-2012 at 10:46 PM.

Mood

This draft looks thin coming in but I am gonna be patient. There will be kids that will play themselves into a lottery pick or up to the first round that no one is even hyping right now.

I follow Missouri sports and I can tell you Otto Porter is not only an amazing athlete, but also a humble, smart, and genuine great kid. He was going to attend Mizzou, but Mike Anderson bolted like an....... well this isn't the board for this. It is funny you bring up Tony Mitchell, he was ready to attend Mizzou as well but the big12 decided to not allow the kid to attend Mizzou, therefore forcing him to transfer. He is an absolute freak and can do magic with ball on offense, although his abilitly to play against elite competetion is still unknown........

Now since it was said that next years class is short on PGs, I would at least like for PD to see Phil Pressey play, pg from Mizzou. (Sorry, Mizzou homer) he could be the pass first pg that Indiana needs. His biggest downfall is that he is 5'10, but he makes up for it with a 39'' vertical (I believe the NBA average is around 28). He shoots well, defends well for his size, but his basketball vision is incredible. Also, since people here love Tony Mitchell, here is a nice video of Pressey dunking on him.

I apologize for being a Missouri homer, but those were 2 players mentioned I have some knowledge of, as well as one I believe has a great shot at an NBA career.
    "Missouri's former basketball coach Norm Stewart would traditionally have his players stay in Kansas City, Missouri, before playing at Kansas, going so far as to require the team bus to buy its gasoline at a Missouri filling station and reprimanding players who ate in Kansas, as he did not want to put any money into Kansas' economy."- MIZ-ZOU

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mousewilliams999 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    This draft looks thin coming in but I am gonna be patient. There will be kids that will play themselves into a lottery pick or up to the first round that no one is even hyping right now.
    Typically this is the story, but this group is very weak, most of the time you can have a good idea of where a group stands, especially from a potential standpoint, and that is one thing this group is really missing.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by mousewilliams999 View Post
    I follow Missouri sports and I can tell you Otto Porter is not only an amazing athlete, but also a humble, smart, and genuine great kid. He was going to attend Mizzou, but Mike Anderson bolted like an....... well this isn't the board for this. It is funny you bring up Tony Mitchell, he was ready to attend Mizzou as well but the big12 decided to not allow the kid to attend Mizzou, therefore forcing him to transfer. He is an absolute freak and can do magic with ball on offense, although his abilitly to play against elite competetion is still unknown........

Now since it was said that next years class is short on PGs, I would at least like for PD to see Phil Pressey play, pg from Mizzou. (Sorry, Mizzou homer) he could be the pass first pg that Indiana needs. His biggest downfall is that he is 5'10, but he makes up for it with a 39'' vertical (I believe the NBA average is around 28). He shoots well, defends well for his size, but his basketball vision is incredible. Also, since people here love Tony Mitchell, here is a nice video of Pressey dunking on him.

I apologize for being a Missouri homer, but those were 2 players mentioned I have some knowledge of, as well as one I believe has a great shot at an NBA career.
    To me PG is one of the more intriguing positions, Kabongo, Carter from Syarcuse, Guy that is headed to Arizona Anderson(although he will probably stay longer than 1 yr), Elijah from KU, Harrow (Calipari always sends a PG to the 1st round and majority of the times the lottery. It will be interesting to see who comes out of the group, there are more guys around as well, but these are a few that I will have my eye on.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    To me PG is one of the more intriguing positions, Kabongo, Carter from Syarcuse, Guy that is headed to Arizona Anderson(although he will probably stay longer than 1 yr), Elijah from KU, Harrow (Calipari always sends a PG to the 1st round and majority of the times the lottery. It will be interesting to see who comes out of the group, there are more guys around as well, but these are a few that I will have my eye on.
    I dont like Harrow at all Elijah is meh for me will be a good change of pace guy at the NBA level a team like Minney could use him to back up Rubio. I think Archie will be a pg at the NBA level I like him a lot. He is like a bigger Eric Bledsoe freak athlete and plays a million mph which is good and bad. I love the effort he plays with on both ends. My guess is he is the pg that devlopes well under Cal. Archie will be a kid I follow closely he is a great guard.

The 2 kids I really like at the pg spot are Ray McCallum at Detroit he has the tools and has been well coached I look forward to seeing if he has improved this year. I think he will be a solid pro. I also like Mike Dixon as a backup but he just got suspended by Mizzu.

I really like UK's backup C Willie Cauley-Stein he is still raw but kids gonna be really good I like his tools for the NBA. He will be a guy whos tape early on and in March will be a night and day difference. I have a few others who I like so far but Willie has impressed me the most from the Frosh I have seen so far.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 10-26-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Handoverfist View Post
    How about Patric Young from Florida, he seems like a pretty tough kid?
    this is who i like

Quote Originally Posted by mousewilliams999 View Post

Fellow Mizzou homer here, but I agree Pressey could be a guy to keep an eye on. Another Mizzou guy that could be there for the Pacers is UConn transfer Alex Oriahki. He's a PF, but I think he's listed at 6'9 250 so I don't imagine him being a guy taken early. From what I've seen he appears to be a banger and can block shots. I don't know much about his offense, but I've seen him as a 2nd rounder in a few mocks.