Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: Team that had the best draft night

  1. #1
    THE WITCH IS DEAD!!! Coopdog23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Da Bank
    Posts
    2,889

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Team that had the best draft night

    Which team do you guys think had the best draft night with picks and trades? I really like with what Utah did by trading for Burke and drafting Gobert at 27.
    "We want Miami"

  2. #2
    Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,102
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Team that had the best draft night

    I like the Pelicans. Get a proven all-star out of this draft.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

    ----------------- Reggie Miller

  3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:


  4. #3

    Default Re: Team that had the best draft night

    I like what Utah did

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:


  6. #4

    Default Re: Team that had the best draft night

    Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like the Pelicans. Get a proven all-star out of this draft.
    I agree but it depends how bad they are this year. If they get a top 3 pick they get to keep it and add to their team, if not its Philly's. I love Jrue Holiday and it really makes their team better and potentially makes Vasquez available for them to get a small forward and fill out their starting 5.

    What's not to like about adding a young proven all-star?

  7. #5
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,271
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    I like what Sacramento did. They picked the best player in the draft.


    Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,290

    Default Re: Team that had the best draft night

    Wizards had themselves a decent draft with Porter and Rice Jr. Pistons did well too.

    Blazers had the best draft. CJ McCollum, Crabbe, Whithey.

    Bucks had an awful draft. Who knows what the hell that franchise is ever doing. Hated the Pacers pick.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  10. #7
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,859

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Team that had the best draft night

    Tough to argue against NOLA in a draft where people wonder if there will ever be a proven all star, they got a guy who has already been an all star. Granted they coughed up their 14 pick to do it.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

    J7F

  12. #8

    Default Re: Team that had the best draft night

    Pelicans IMO, they came away with Jrue Holiday for Nerlens Noel pretty much, thats pretty dang good

  13. #9
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,077
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Team that had the best draft night

    If Anthony Bennett played for North Carolina he would have been the hands down projected number 1 all year. Noel who? He is the real deal. Why didn't more mocks have him number 1. Most had him out of the top 3.

    The winners are Cavs. Crabbe was a great 2nd round pick.

  14. #10
    The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,579

    Default Re: Team that had the best draft night

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pelicans IMO, they came away with Jrue Holiday for Nerlens Noel pretty much, thats pretty dang good
    yeah not bad for the pelicans....seriously that name lol

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:


  16. #11
    Looking like a season JB24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    693

    Default Re: Team that had the best draft night

    Sixers. I don't think the Pelicans make the playoffs next year, so they got two lottery picks for a guy who's quickly gotten very overrated. I liked MCW as a late lottery pick as well- he'll get a lot of playing time next year.
    Last edited by JB24; 06-28-2013 at 12:03 PM.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to JB24 For This Useful Post:


  18. #12

    Default Re: Team that had the best draft night

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The winners are Cavs. Crabbe was a great 2nd round pick.
    Crabbe was sent to Portland, a team I thought had a great draft. McCollum, Crabbe, Withey were excellent value picks for Portland at their respective draft positions. I think those three will be able to contribute right away.

    I liked Detroit's draft too, but then again, I'm really high on KCP. Mitchell is a risk, but as a second rounder, I like him.
    Last edited by Doddage; 06-28-2013 at 02:42 PM.

  19. #13

    Default Re: Team that had the best draft night

    I'll agree with Utah. 2 of my favorite prospects in the draft.

  20. #14

    Default Re: Team that had the best draft night

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tough to argue against NOLA in a draft where people wonder if there will ever be a proven all star, they got a guy who has already been an all star. Granted they coughed up their 14 pick to do it.
    Isn't the pick protected?

  21. #15

    Default Re: Team that had the best draft night

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Pacers of course because "the best draft day adquisition is coming back"

    Did Plumlee leave?

  22. #16
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,058

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Team that had the best draft night

    I think the Pistons made solid picks, and if they can find a way to motivate Tony Mitchell, that could end up being a nice haul for them. Not franchise altering, but nice.

    Timberwolves fans seem to hate it, but I like them getting Shabazz, Dieng (who I'm not even that high on) and Lorenzo Brown in round 2. I don't know the first thing about that foreign guy, but he's a stasher.

    The Kings didn't do bad with McLemore at #7 and McCallum in the second round. I can get behind that draft.

    The Pelicans obviously getting Jrue Holiday was a huge boon, but giving up a 2014 first rounder in addition to Noel could bite them next year. I doubt it, but I don't see it as quite the home run that many others do.

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  24. #17
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,058

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Team that had the best draft night

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Isn't the pick protected?
    Top 4 protected, I believe. Maybe top 5. So they are still in the Wiggins sweepstakes, although I personally think they won't be bad enough to be in that race.

  25. #18
    Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    In the Washington DC area
    Posts
    4,302
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Team that had the best draft night

    Minnesota did well with Shabazz and Dieng.

  26. #19
    Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    In the Washington DC area
    Posts
    4,302
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Team that had the best draft night

    Liked Portland, Sacramento, and Phoenix's nights as well.

  27. #20

    Default Re: Team that had the best draft night

    1. Pistons. Pope seems like a great fit. Tony Mitchell at 37 is a great gamble at that spot. Peyton Siva at 56 is good value.

    2. Jazz. Traded up and got their starting point guard (Burke). And essentially they picked Rudy Gobert at 46 (they picked Green and traded Green+cash for Gobert). I don't care about his flaws, Gobert is an awesome gamble at 46. Impressive job trading by the Jazz.

    3. Grizzlies. Franklin at 41? A great gamble. Got Kosta Koufos too. I like Darrell Arthur but Ed Davis-Koufos is a better fit for the 2nd unit.

    4. Rockets. Canaan at 34? I like.

    5. Wizards. Otto Porter at 3, Glen Rice at 36. They should help them make the playoffs next year. And I like Porter more than most, so I just really like their draft.

    6. Bucks. They need to gamble. And they took two big gambles - Adetokunbo and Ledo - a bit lower than most mocks projected them. They have potential to be very good starters one day. If it doesn't work out, then it doesn't. They need to hit the jackpot if they are ever going to get out of round 1, and they found two tickets on the cheap.

    7. Blazers. McCollum at 10, easy choice at that spot. Good 2nd round: Crabbe, Whithey for the bench, Jerrett probably for the NBDL, Todorovic for stashing. I think a couple of those 2nd round guys will end up contributing.

    8. Kings. McLemore dropped to 7. That part is awesome but they really need some vets and culture change now, I don't think they are a good culture fit for him right now.

    9. Minnesota. Didn't get Pope to drop. So traded for Shabazz and Dieng. Lorenzo Brown at 52 could be solid value. Dubljevic at 59 is a good stash pick. I think he could be a Mirza Teletovic type stretch big man for them in a few years, but with a bit more scoring versatility.

    10. Spurs. Livio Jean Charles could be a good project. I haven't seen him in games, so I can't judge. Looking at measurements and clips, pretty impressive, so ok. Deshaun Thomas at 58 -- could be great return so late.

    Edit - i forgot the Nets... I guess they should be pretty high, but that's mainly the trade, so...
    Last edited by hackashaq; 06-28-2013 at 04:37 PM.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to hackashaq For This Useful Post:


  29. #21
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Team that had the best draft night

    Ask me in three years, I guess. The more years I follow the NBA and the draft, the less I understand how anyone thinks they can really gauge how good or bad it was for a given team the next day, or sometimes even the next year or two.

    There needs to be a website that does a 3-years-later review of every draft and compare their conclusions with the consensus of the 'draft grades' all of the 'experts' gave out the very next day after those drafts happened.

  30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  31. #22

    Default Re: Team that had the best draft night

    True, but this then applies to all pre-draft talk too, all projections, all the scouting discussions... 'How can people think they can gauge who the Pacers should or shouldn't draft? They'll know in 3 years.'

    In the end, we'll be wrong in many cases, but it's all for fun.
    Last edited by hackashaq; 06-28-2013 at 06:17 PM. Reason: off topic

  32. #23

    Default Re: Team that had the best draft night

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ask me in three years, I guess. The more years I follow the NBA and the draft, the less I understand how anyone thinks they can really gauge how good or bad it was for a given team the next day, or sometimes even the next year or two.

    There needs to be a website that does a 3-years-later review of every draft and compare their conclusions with the consensus of the 'draft grades' all of the 'experts' gave out the very next day after those drafts happened.

    I always thought this was a good website idea in general. Politics, pop culture, social trends: a prediction tracker that logs how accurate you are in predictions. Like the "fact checker" political sites, but prediction based. Give media personalities a PAP rating (prediction accuracy percentage).

    I started a twitter account called "Bad Nostradamus" with this in mind. Haven't done anything with it yet. But information is coming at us too fast in the internet era for anyone to remember who said what.

    I always liked the fact that Bill Simmons never lets you forget the times he was epically wrong. He is the first to remind you.

  33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlavaDave For This Useful Post:


  34. #24
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,043

    Default Re: Team that had the best draft night

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ask me in three years, I guess. The more years I follow the NBA and the draft, the less I understand how anyone thinks they can really gauge how good or bad it was for a given team the next day, or sometimes even the next year or two.

    There needs to be a website that does a 3-years-later review of every draft and compare their conclusions with the consensus of the 'draft grades' all of the 'experts' gave out the very next day after those drafts happened.
    I believe that has likely been thought of and done. However I think after seeing how bad 'they' did, they decided not to post it because they didn't want to make themselves look bad. Or someone else look better!

  35. #25
    Get well PG! QuickRelease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,762

    Default Re: Team that had the best draft night

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pelicans IMO, they came away with Jrue Holiday for Nerlens Noel pretty much, thats pretty dang good
    Especially since they already had Noel+ with Davis. If Gordon stays and is healthy, and Davis continues to develop, the addition of Holliday is huge.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-29-2012, 10:42 PM
  2. 2011 NBA Draft Grades: Grading the Draft Night Suits
    By Pacemaker in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-24-2011, 04:48 AM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-25-2011, 12:36 PM
  4. Tbird 2009 draft analysis: The War Room on draft night
    By thunderbird1245 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-21-2009, 09:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •