Thread: BURN IN HELL DIRECTV/VIACOM

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default BURN IN HELL DIRECTV/VIACOM

I swear if my Comedy Central is stopped I will rip my receiver off the roof and strangle someone. Ok, probably not strangling someone.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Default Re: BURN IN HELL DIRECTV/VIACOM

meh same bs that happens all the time. happened with fx, was gone for like 2 days and came back.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    meh same bs that happens all the time. happened with fx, was gone for like 2 days and came back.
    I remember Fox network went away for like 2 weeks and I WANT MY DAILY SHOW WAHHHH
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

This **** is getting out of control. I'm starting to wonder if ala carte pricing is the answer. Maybe that would put the free market back into the equation a little bit.

Apparently these ADVERTISER supported 'networks' aren't interested in getting their channels available in as many households as possible any longer... instead they want a piece of the likely overcharged rates the cable and satellite companies are charging.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hope a la carte pricing happens because there are so many channels I don't watch. It could save me a ton of money, but that is exactly why they will never do it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kosmo Yagkoto For This Useful Post:

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This **** is getting out of control. I'm starting to wonder if ala carte pricing is the answer. Maybe that would put the free market back into the equation a little bit.

Apparently these ADVERTISER supported 'networks' aren't interested in getting their channels available in as many households as possible any longer... instead they want a piece of the likely overcharged rates the cable and satellite companies are charging.
    Supposedly Viacom wants a 30% increase. *******s took away my TVLand!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Take it up with Viacom. They the pricks who pulled online streaming of their shows.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Take it up with Viacom. They the pricks who pulled online streaming of their shows.
    I KNOW. NOW I HAVE TO BUY MY DAILY SHOW ON ITUNES. SCREW. THAT.
    Freshman at Louisville
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

**** that, i'll just torrent shows i want to watch. I'm glad Directv is standing up to them. Viacom is being ridiculous.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kosmo Yagkoto View Post
    I hope a la carte pricing happens because there are so many channels I don't watch. It could save me a ton of money, but that is exactly why they will never do it.
    Not really. Ironically, a lot of those channels that nobody ever watches helps keep your monthly bills from going higher than they already are because the channels (religious and home shopping network mostly) pay the providers to be carried.

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post

I have been begging for this since I paid my first cable bill with Cox back in 2004.

Ironically enough:

http://tvgeekarmy.com/post/viewpost/...pay-a-la-carte

What fascinates me the most though is that Viacom CEO Mike White is openly advocating that cable consumers should be able to order the cable channels that they want to watch a la carte.

ďAt the very least, we think Viacom should be willing to give your family the choice to pay for only those channels you watch,Ē White said (via GigaOm).

From viacom:

http://blog.viacom.com/2012/07/updat...iacom-dispute/

First things first…

We’re taking a liberty here, but we apologize on behalf of Viacom and DIRECTV to the nearly 20 million DIRECTV subscribers who are still without MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, BET, VH1, CMT, Spike, TV Land and many more of their favorite channels. It’s an unacceptable situation. We can only imagine how frustrating it is for DIRECTV subscribers who pay their bill on time every month and expect to get what they’ve paid for.

It’s also unacceptable for DIRECTV to continue to insist that Viacom “hasn’t made an effort to come to an agreement.” Reconnecting with our audiences on DIRECTV is the absolute top priority for Viacom at the moment; our teams are negotiating tirelessly to get this done. Frankly, we’re at a loss for why DIRECTV would imply that both sides aren’t at the table trying to work this out as quickly as possible. Because we are most definitely working non-stop to figure this out.

As we remain engaged at the negotiating table, we’re also going to continue to reach out through ads to make sure they know that DIRECTV has dropped our channels, and what they need to do to get those channels back. We apologize to DIRECTV if they don’t like our ads. As we’ve shown, we’re actually quite fond of theirs.

We maintain that the rate increase we’ve requested from DIRECTV is fair, reasonable, and in line with what we’re paid by every other cable and satellite provider in the industry — ALL of whom we have agreements with and NONE of which have dropped our channels since 2004. DIRECTV, on the other hand, does this a lot.
    But don’t take our word for it. Check out this article currently on Seeking Alpha:

“…considering the contract they signed was 7 years ago, this means they’ll be seeing a yearly increase of about 4%. Not particularly demanding at all. Especially not compared to the rate increases DirecTV has pushed on to consumers.”
    This guy gets it. Think of how much you paid for anything and everything in your life seven years ago. Isn’t it all a little bit more expensive today?
    On the PR side, we’re actively trying to cut back on the he said, she said, and the tit-for-tat. It’s annoying. We get it. But our panties get in a bunch when we read DIRECTV’s constant and consistent mischaracterizations of what is really happening at the negotiation table and behind closed doors. So, if you’re interested, below is a little markup of DIRECTV’s post yesterday that will hopefully help you sort the fact from fiction.

Again, we apologize to DIRECTV customers on behalf of Viacom and DIRECTV for this unacceptable situation. We’re working around the clock on getting this resolved as quickly and fairly as possible.

In the meantime, DIRECTV consumers should call 1-800-531-5000 and tell DIRECTV they want their channels back. And, while you’re at it, make sure you ask for some free stuff.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm over DirecTV. Have lost channels twice this year, and my receiver is slow as dirt. To get a new one (one that I currently "lease") I have to sign a new 2 year agreement. I have bundled internet with ATT, bought their adapter for On Demand, yet they then tell me my speeds are too slow...yet I buy the internet through them.

Uverse is to be installed on the 28th, so long DirecTV. I know it won't matter to you at all.

@Pacers24Colts12

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    From viacom:

http://blog.viacom.com/2012/07/updat...iacom-dispute/

First things first…

We’re taking a liberty here, but we apologize on behalf of Viacom and DIRECTV to the nearly 20 million DIRECTV subscribers who are still without MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, BET, VH1, CMT, Spike, TV Land and many more of their favorite channels. It’s an unacceptable situation. We can only imagine how frustrating it is for DIRECTV subscribers who pay their bill on time every month and expect to get what they’ve paid for.

It’s also unacceptable for DIRECTV to continue to insist that Viacom “hasn’t made an effort to come to an agreement.” Reconnecting with our audiences on DIRECTV is the absolute top priority for Viacom at the moment; our teams are negotiating tirelessly to get this done. Frankly, we’re at a loss for why DIRECTV would imply that both sides aren’t at the table trying to work this out as quickly as possible. Because we are most definitely working non-stop to figure this out.

As we remain engaged at the negotiating table, we’re also going to continue to reach out through ads to make sure they know that DIRECTV has dropped our channels, and what they need to do to get those channels back. We apologize to DIRECTV if they don’t like our ads. As we’ve shown, we’re actually quite fond of theirs.

We maintain that the rate increase we’ve requested from DIRECTV is fair, reasonable, and in line with what we’re paid by every other cable and satellite provider in the industry — ALL of whom we have agreements with and NONE of which have dropped our channels since 2004. DIRECTV, on the other hand, does this a lot.
    But don’t take our word for it. Check out this article currently on Seeking Alpha:

“…considering the contract they signed was 7 years ago, this means they’ll be seeing a yearly increase of about 4%. Not particularly demanding at all. Especially not compared to the rate increases DirecTV has pushed on to consumers.”
    This guy gets it. Think of how much you paid for anything and everything in your life seven years ago. Isn’t it all a little bit more expensive today?
    On the PR side, we’re actively trying to cut back on the he said, she said, and the tit-for-tat. It’s annoying. We get it. But our panties get in a bunch when we read DIRECTV’s constant and consistent mischaracterizations of what is really happening at the negotiation table and behind closed doors. So, if you’re interested, below is a little markup of DIRECTV’s post yesterday that will hopefully help you sort the fact from fiction.

Again, we apologize to DIRECTV customers on behalf of Viacom and DIRECTV for this unacceptable situation. We’re working around the clock on getting this resolved as quickly and fairly as possible.

In the meantime, DIRECTV consumers should call 1-800-531-5000 and tell DIRECTV they want their channels back. And, while you’re at it, make sure you ask for some free stuff.
    Screw Viacom and the high horse they rode in on. Directv tries to help customers find Viacom-hosted online alternatives to get them through this, and Viacom takes these down? WTH?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Money grab... Greed...

Prediction:
    Winners will be Viacom and Directv
    Losers will be subscribers

The problem, as I see it, Viacom wants a bigger bite of the profits Directv is making. If anything Directv would like to raise rates AGAIN but keep that money in their pockets, not pass it on to Viacom. NOBODY seems concerned with getting these ADVERTISER SUPPORTED networks in as many homes as possible, let alone LOWERING rates to make viewer accessibility more affordable.

No thought is being given to the consumer and how to get these programs to them at a lower cost. It's all about milking out every last dime. Directv would rather have 100 subscribers at 150.00ea than 1500 subscribers at 10.00ea. And Viacom seems to have forgotten that their programming is advertiser supported and requires eyeballs.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Screw Viacom and the high horse they rode in on. Directv tries to help customers find Viacom-hosted online alternatives to get them through this, and Viacom takes these down? WTH?
    Exactly. I watch the Daily Show every ****ING night and I want my show! I started trying to stream it and the ****ers took it down!
    Freshman at Louisville
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Mood

For what it's worth, there are threads all over the internet claiming that Directv is offering free upgrades and discounts due to you having to deal with this crap....I personally have Dish, and I lost AMC. When I called Dish and complained they gave me a free Roku box and $10 off a month for the next 12 months. From what I have been seeing in other forums is that Directv is comping with Free NFL Sunday ticket for a year, free Showtime and Starz etc, bill credits etc etc.... While there is absolutely nothing that you can do to remedy being without your channels, Directv can at least reimburse you a little for not upholding their end.....

Here is just a sample of a wiki from another forum:

18 Viacom Channels that have been affected:

Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, MTV, BET, VH1, CMT, Logo, Spike, TV Land, MTV2, VH1 Classic, Palladia, Nick Jr., NickToons, TeenNick, Nickelodeon West, Tr3s, Centric, MTV India, Nickelodeon HD, Comedy Central HD, MTV HD, BET HD, VH1 HD, CMT HD and Spike HD.

WHY is this happening?
    Viacom is running a massive shakedown and is requiring an additional ~30% increase in fees (or about 1 billion dollars) from DirecTv ... the corporations didn't reach agreement by the cut off time.

DirecTV has a site dedicated to this: http://www.directvpromise.com/ [directvpromise.com]
    Viacom has their website as well, listing the number to call in this thread. - http://whendirectvdrops.com/

"Cancel" at the first prompt
    "Cancel" again at her next question
    "No" when she asks if you're canceling because you're moving.

---

number directly to retentions: 8008249081 pin # 1945

My favorite quote:

Quote from mrredskin:

people, stop asking what to say when you're talking to an agent. there are 30+ pages on here of what others have received. there are certain skills you learn to acquire in life. if bargaining and negotiating is not one of them, then I'm sorry

Negotiations for those that don't like negotiations:
    I don't like trying to get free stuff. All I did was, when they offered me something, I would say "Thank you but is there anything more that you could do?" I started out at $5 for 3 months then got to 6 month $20 credit, Movie channels for 3 months, and Red Zone channel for free. I made small talk between offers and kept asking the question. Every time her response back was "because you are such a valued customer..." You can tell when they're kinda getting tired of it.

================================================== =======
    List of Offers received
    ================================================== =======
    Personally, I was offered $10 off for 10 months&additional $13 off for 3 months.
    I have 12 months of contract left.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I received $10 off for 6 Months and $5 additional off until the issue is resolved. Best my dad could do was 10 off/3 months
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Not as good as others have received, but was offered one time credit of $40, asked how long the outage would be, and she raised it to an $80 one time credit. So not too bad.
    I've only been a DirecTV customer for 2-3 months and am currently paying a steeply discounted rate, but after asking about cancellation fees, I was offered $15 off my next three months of service and 6 months free of Showtime & Starz
    Have 2 months left on contract. Offered $20 off per month for a year with free NFL Sunday Ticket. Also got a follow up email from retention dept asking me to call, hinting at more stuff. Planning on calling today.

hmmmm gonna try and get free nfl sunday ticket

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    hmmmm gonna try and get free nfl sunday ticket
    Me too. Just going to complain and threaten to cancel service until the appease me with NFL ST.
    Freshman at Louisville
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13