Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pacers Digest Background Check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers Digest Background Check

Played my whole childhood up through Freshman yr of high school.

Fractured right femur in a few places, haven't played organized sports since.

But I sure do watch and eat/sleep/breath Pacers basketball for the last 15+ yrs.

Pacers fan since about the early eighties, and my dad was on board from the very start. Did track and soccer in HS; never played basketball. Started playing pickup in college, where I nearly guarded Bonzi Wells (He came to the gym to stomp some fools). I try not to turn down basketball, so I'm playing tonight. Last week's PER was around the 1.02 mark and I'm looking to get up in the low digits.

Played up to my sophomore year of high school. 5'1'' and 98 pounds will not get you much time. Saw the writing on the wall and went a different direction. Sprouted to 6'1'' by the middle of my senior year but by then it was too late. Have coached at the varsity level with boys for 12 years. Lost a game to the state champs in triple overtime 92-90 on their court once. Had a shot to win but did not get the shot up. Coached girls for 3 years, one game short of winning the whole enchilada in 1A. Tough one to swallow. Great group of girls.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Coach For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Still play recreationally and proud to say that since I grew up in Indiana, I know how to play and hold my own, despite being older and less athletic than my competition. BTW When did THEY become "THE YOUNG PUPS"?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Started playing baseball and football at a young age, but didn't play much basketball early on. Ended up playing thru 8th grade, but stuck with my first two loves thru high school. Love to play pick up ball when I can, but most of my recreational activities center around golf, softball and jogging these days.

I did have that one day stint with the Magic, of course...

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Starting point guard for a major high school in Virginia. We went to state my junior year.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

I played one year on a team in 5th grade with Scott Haffner (Miami Heat). He was at basketball camp the first three games...that we lost. He returns and we win every game and the championship. I warmed the bench with a fractured ankle most of the season. When they handed out trophies, one of the parents on the opposing team wanted to take away my trophy because I sat out most of the season.

Anyway, I was horrible back then. Didn't play again until college and...only then did I start playing decent in intramurals and pickup games. I became a pretty decent player in my mid to late 20's and into my 30's until I injured my knee at 38....

Basketball was just the main thing we did during phys.ed., as well as after school. HS sports weren't very organized here when I was growing up, no permanent leagues or such. So I'm was just a recreational player and a fan.
    (the whole place was a bit of a mess --- after the USSR collapsed, it took good 10 years to put proper structures in place in some social areas)

I'm from a baseball family and grew up as a diehard Yankees fan... not anymore. My 1st BB was leather with a rubber bladder and laces. The goal was on a building on the farm where the corn was harvested by hand into a wagon being pulled by 2 mules... Jack & Jim. I've had a passion for BB most of my life. I traveled all over the different counties as a kid watching every game I could. I'm still a proponent of single class boys BB. Being obsessed is a polite word describing how I felt about BB.

Favorite player was Wilt Chamberlain. I remember when the only 7' players in the NBA was Wilt and 2 others. I remember this kid named Larry Bird playing HS BB, and playing the Bloomfield Cardinals. Then watching him at ISU. I remember watching McGinnis and Keller play their BB at Washington. I remember the Muncie Central Bearcats win the State. Going to Hinkle to watch the 63 Indiana Boys Allstar game. I can remember when I was an avid IU fan, having watched Branch and Slick, until some later jerk coach there soured me on IU. I remember the telethon to save the Pacers. I remember the Fairgrounds, and the building of Market Square Arena. I've been around BB at all levels all my life, and have enjoyed it dearly.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can remember when I was an avid IU fan, having watched Branch and Slick, until some later jerk coach there soured me on IU. I remember the telethon to save the Pacers. I remember the Fairgrounds, and the building of Market Square Arena. I've been around BB at all levels all my life, and have enjoyed it dearly.
    I never really liked Sampson, either.... But loved the General!!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to *astrisk* For This Useful Post:

4 years highschool basketball with 2 of them Starting Varsity on a team that made it to state in Illinois. Small School basketball.

Highschool basketball referee here in Dallas.

Played premier league basketball around dallas up until last year when I developed bone spurs. The league was ex players and college stand outs. I was only a hustle player and a organizer.

Mood

I played religiously up until 7th grade played for my school 4th to 8th grade. When I was 3 my parents said I would play until it was dark and I always had that work ethic. Then didn't play HS for my school played AAU instead hard work can only get yo so far when you are 6ft and you are playing against athletic freaks. I could still defend very well at the high AAU level but my offense was well offensive and I just quit playing after I hurt my arm and knee.

was a pg from 4th to 7th grade averaged 18 and 7 a game in 7th grade(competition wasn't that great ). After 7th I played mostly wing my handle wasn't anywhere good enough for the pgs you face at the high end of AAU.

My favorite player as a kid was Ron Artest I modeled my game after him play 120% on defense hit the glass and **** people off loved to get in peoples grill on defense was what I took joy in. I was surprised I never got in a major fight im not the fighting type but the amount I pushed off and played physical I am just surprised. Especially in practice I was a ***** in practice I practiced like it was a game. We had this drill called the hustle drill you put the ball at center court and you have to run from the end line and the first one to get it and score wins. I didn't lose that drill almost ever.

most I averaged in AAU was 10 and 7 boards but that was my best season (it got a lot harder).

Quote Originally Posted by *astrisk* View Post

I never really liked Sampson, either.... But loved the General!!!

I was enthralled with Sampson as he gave IU everything it deserved!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I played through freshman year in high school. I was really good in 5th and 6th grade mainly because I was a good shooter and I was as tall as I am today. Once everyone started growing, I was awful.
    that was my problem. I hit my growth spurt early and was taller than most, so I played mostly PF and C. I stopped growing my freshman year in high school. By then, everyone was getting taller than me and I realized I had to play a guard position. Never really learned to dribble, so I put a lot of hard work to be able to dribble with both hands. Got to be pretty decent, enough not to embarrass myself. Been years since I've played. *sigh* One of these days, I'll pick it up again.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Was a Hamilton County playground legend. Played 4-6 hours everyday. Spent Freshman and Sophmore years warming the bench for Mr. Basketball. Got injured playing football and tore ACL in my left knee on a kickoff return in a freakin' scrimmage game. Now I'm just a humble fan of the Pacers ever since I was 5.

Brains of the Operation.

Played grades 2-12. Started H.S. Varsity Junior & Season Year. Played 2 years of AAU ball. Coached grade school kids for 4 years. Played in numerous Gus Mackers tourneys (Won 2, won toilet-bowl once in highest division) Passed on playing D-3 ball and went on to PU. Played on 2 Fraternity League championship teams. Graduated college, got married, had kids, haven't touched a ball in 5 years.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama-Redneck View Post
    I'm just curious at what level of participation/coaching has each member been involved ??

Please answer honestly !!

I played when the peach basket was in vogue...not really but close.

I played High School ball and Industrial ball (Fall Creek YMCA, Dearborn Hotel etc.) and have been a devoted Pacer fan since the start of the ABA.

Thanks for you time.

Hey.......

I played high school ball for a small school in southern Indiana before all of the consolidations took effect. A lot of those small schools had gyms that sat many times the number of student in the school. The whole commuinity attended every game and most folks went to away games too. I was a big fan of the Pacers when they were started and I attended several games at the State Fair Grounds. I have followed the team closely ever since. I was a big fan of Larry Bird when he was at IU and I followed his career in Boston. I thought he was the best college basketball player I ever saw. I was there on the sides of state road 42 in Terre Haute when the team came home from losing to Michigan State in the tournament. The road was lined with cars for miles. Just to get a glimpse of the players and let them know how proud we were of them.

I am also an avid Colts fan and I was a fan back in the Johnny Unitas days in Baltimore... When the came to Indy, I was really excited and I have followed them closely too.

I have strong views that turn some people off but I love those two teams. I am not so sure about their management although I thought Bird did a great job under tough circumstances. I, for instance, think JOB did one hell of a job developing this team and instilling some discipline that was sorely needed after all of the trouble they got into. He took them to a place where another coach could win with them. This isn't popular but I think it is true. Rebuilding a team is never easy and the coach never gets to be around when they start winning. The new coach and GM of the Colts will find that out over the next three years.....

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

He certainly did that. I was an IU fan but never again. I also find IU fans extremely obnoxious and most ignorant about IU history.....

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I played through freshman year in high school. I was really good in 5th and 6th grade mainly because I was a good shooter and I was as tall as I am today. Once everyone started growing, I was awful.
    Your story sounds similar to mine. I was a shade under 6'3" at 13 and had a good jumper. My hoops claim to fame is scoring 24 points on future Mr. Basketball Luke Recker at that age in AAU ball.

Unfortunately, I didn't grow even a fraction of an inch, never learned how to handle the ball, and somehow regressed athletically (or, more accurately, everyone else got quicker/higher verticals while I stagnated). By my sophomore year of high school I was cut from my JV team.

I can post up my 12 year old cousins, but then they start running screens.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

Barely played. Like 1st-3rd grade. Just a big fan.

Played through middle school, but only made the team because my school was small and terrible at basketball. We played really tough CYO competition (7th graders dunking) and got blown out every game. Hell, scrimmaging against each other in practice was a lot more fun than the games because it was competitive at least. The only fun things about the games for me is that I was not afraid to foul, get in fights with the opposing team, argue with the refs, or shoot bad shots. I thought my Dad was going to kill me for my behavior out there a few times, but some of the kids had just plain given up so I guess he appreciated me at least caring even though we lost every game by 20-30 points.

I was basically Dahntay Jones out there, with the chucking he displayed earlier in his Indiana career but has cut down on. My defense was really pretty good and if a kid was making us look like fools out there I wasn't afraid to trip him lol.

Mood

Lol... what? Eric Gordon? Lol.. just playing Justin

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

I failed to mention that my little school (73 in graduating class AFTER consolidation) played on a "short" floor. We had two center court lines 3 ft apart so you had to be sure which was your side....and at least once a year we played in the Knightstown gym that was featured in Hoosiers. In our gym, The brick walls were so close to the baselines we had dads standing along them to keep players from getting hurt on lay-ups etc. I was knocked out cold during PE while flying at a guy to block his shot.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

I played basketball with the guys in the hood when I was in school, but never played on a real team then. When I joined the Army I discovered that people from different areas were not as into basketball as our hoosier fellow soldiers. Once I got to my 1st duty station in Germany I was quickly added to the company team and was one of the first guys off of the bench to add some scoring and run the offense. We were a pretty stacked team. I did not like to do that as much and felt like a 2 guard stuck in a PG body at 5'11". At my second duty station at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO things were different in that my platoon had their own team separate from the company team and we were not as stacked. We weren't as good as the previous team but we had a PG already and I was paired with another left handed shooter who played the SF position and I was able to come in and start in the 2 guard spot. It was fun with my running mate and if one of us were cold we would feed the ball to the other. Unfortunately six months into it I tore up my ankle pretty badly and after surgery I missed almost a year because when stopping quickly it would roll every time. I finally got healed up and played until 2 months before my time ending in the service I tore my ACL in my left knee and was relegated to a cheerleader after that. After getting out I played with a group of guys that would play at a local church on Thursday nights. They were mostly ex college players and local coaches. After my ankle and knee deteriorated due to degenerative arthritis I am now more into kicking my nephews but in a game of horse. It was all fun and would not change it for anything.