Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pacers Digest Background Check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers Digest Background Check

Retired from organized play after sixth grade, since I couldn't shoot or defend to save my life.

Went into the announcing booth in high school and spent two years mostly covering the Ben Davis Lady Giants (just a couple years before they won 80 something in a row), but covered the guys team as needed, and of course, both teams sectionals.

Now I got the bug again....
    Last edited by Sandman21; 07-10-2012 at 12:25 PM.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I used to be really good. Had NBA Hall of Famer, Bobby Jones, tell me I could have a career in basketball(just overseas). Unfortunately I got sick and had to stop playing. I went to same high school as Stephen and Seth Curry though.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by imbtyler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I play in youth leagues from 1st-3rd grade, but turned into more of a baseball fan during my 3rd-6th grade years (I'm over that now, can't ****ing stand baseball). When I got into 7th/8th grade, a friend of mine reintroduced me to basketball, particularly the wonders of streetball (explaining my over-fascination with the more exciting parts of the game; i.e. dunks, alley-oops, fancy dribbling and passes, etc.). During this time, he showed me the fun in dunking on 7'-8' goals. And I fell in love with the ability to exhibit skills and talents I wouldn't be able to display on a regular court, so to this day, I go play on short goals (primarily at the nearby Nashville Elementary) as often as I can (hence my avatar).

Besides low goals...
    imb, keep those goals low!
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Currently a high school basketball player for Liberty Christian in Anderson, IN. Was captain of the team and all-conference as a freshman and sophomore, also led the team in scoring. This year we got several more talented players and we went all the way to the 1A Regional Championship! I have one more year left, and we are returning the exact same team, plus a freshman who can dunk. So hoping to make a run at the State Championship! Stay tuned for more updates haha...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thatch3232 For This Useful Post:

Bleeding Blue and Gold RichardHawes's Avatar
    Illinois but my heart resides in Indiana.

i've been called the songbird of my generation, by people who've heard me

...oh wait...

I've been playing horse since I was old enough to get my ninja turtles stuck in the net

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RichardHawes For This Useful Post:

Mood

I Played in our high school's recruitment league until I was old enough to play school ball (the league ends there) and started power forward for my team, but quit and didn't play for school, I didn't want to put in that much work. I now play recreationally with my youth group and it's adult mentors. I've been a Pacers fan since I was 4, and the first jersey I ever wanted was a Reggie Miller finals 2000. Cool thread by the way.
    Edit: forgot I am also going to train to announce games on the radio for Greenfield Central when our current guys graduate (I'll be a senior).

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Steagles; 07-10-2012 at 12:46 PM.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Mood

Sorry double post
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Self proclaimed king of horse. Not so good at pig though!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mekoxavier1 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by thatch3232 View Post
    Currently a high school basketball player for Liberty Christian in Anderson, IN. Was captain of the team and all-conference as a freshman and sophomore, also led the team in scoring. This year we got several more talented players and we went all the way to the 1A Regional Championship! I have one more year left, and we are returning the exact same team, plus a freshman who can dunk. So hoping to make a run at the State Championship! Stay tuned for more updates haha...
    I went to Monroe Central. Heard your guy's sectional final game was a pretty good one.

Yes, it was a great game! 94-90 in overtime! The kind of scoring, even for an overtime, is pretty rare in HS basketball. Especially for 1A schools. It was really fun to play in.

The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar

A church near my house had a youth basketball league that I played in for about 4 years. I also broadcasted HS girls basketball (on the radio). I still play recreationaly with friends several times a week.

Carmel HS Class of 2011

I played youth league until eighth grade, was a combo guard and offensively poor. I was a really good defender, usually guarded the best wing scorer on the other team.

In high school I took a different approach to the game, and recieved my IHSAA Officials License my senior year. I got one good year use out of it, and let it expire.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Nobody needed/wanted a 5'8" off gaurd with no skills except a mastery of the sky-hook so I sat myself down and became an athletic trainer (HS and College, tho college it was for wrestling not bball).
    My real love was baseball and I eventually became a semi-pro umpire (meaning I made pretty good money umpiring both slowpitch softball and fastpitch baseball.) That experience is why you will never (almost) raging against the zebras.
    I attended the first ever Pacer home game at the Colesium, had season tickets within arms length of the Simons at MSA, and remain a lifelong Pacer fan. (sans season tickets)
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

I played into high school, until i moved. Also coached my sisters team for a few seasons. Everything since HS has just been playing in the park with former teammates, since I moved to Cali I haven't played much

Old-timer alert! I played at Municipal Gardens every year as a kid and for School #90 team until I stopped growing and everybody else started growing in 8th grade. By the time I started growing again (shot up from 5'8" to 6'2" when I was
    18-19 years old) it was too late to play h.s. ball, even though I played with the varsity guys on the playground often. Was the leading scorer on my ship's team in the Navy at Pearl Harbor, but couldn't quite crack the squad when I came back to attend IU since Isiah and the boys were busy winning the national championship. But I played at least 6 days a week at the HPER building and one year our intramural team, led by me and former All-Big 10 Safety Dave Abrams, finished in 3rd place in the independent division. Played in many leagues up here in Chicago and still get out and have a decent game for an old dude in his 50s. Never screwed up my knees, but did break both ankles, which oddly made them both stronger. Anyway, attended many a game at the Fairgrounds and MSA, but only a few at Conseco. I do see the Pacers every year when they hit Chicago and Milwaukee though.

Former elementary school IPS/ city league champion 6th grade.
    Undefeated season.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

D1.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to bphil For This Useful Post:

Intramural champion and 11-year intramural veteran (thanks non-ending school!). Although I did just bruise my knee pretty badly the other day in a pick up game of 3-on-3. Both of my ankles are already shot to hell. I figure I have a couple of years left before I have to retire altogether for injury-related reasons.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Intramural champion and 11-year intramural veteran (thanks non-ending school!). Although I did just bruise my knee pretty badly the other day in a pick up game of 3-on-3. Both of my ankles are already shot to hell. I figure I have a couple of years left before I have to retire altogether for injury-related reasons.
    Bad ankles are a ***** ain't they?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

I played through freshman year in high school. I was really good in 5th and 6th grade mainly because I was a good shooter and I was as tall as I am today. Once everyone started growing, I was awful.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Born in Indy where basketball is king, transplanted to Bama where football is religion... Played PG, WR and LF for my Alma Mater... Was very good player at many sports, but never Great at any one...

Realized in college that my love for athletics and attention to the finer details of sports was leading me to give back to the games I love...

Currently, the WR coach and yesterday named head Golf coach at my alma mater... Was an Offensive Coordinator a few years ago and have been a Head Girls basketball coach and Boys Basketball Assistant Head Coach, Freshman Baseball Assistant...

Though I have spent the majority of my life in Bama, I have never forgotten my Hoosier roots...

Notable sports moments...
    -Played PG with former Bull, Jason Caffey... (once had more assists in a game than he has illegitimate kids... Sorry J... inside joke... keeping it 100)
    - Coached Detroit Lions DT Nick Fairley...
    - Had the unenviable task of trying to figure out how to stop Demarcus Cousins... (man-child, more child than man, though)
    - Get invited to coach WR at Saban Football camp each summer... (There is no coach in sports who works harder than coach saban)
    - Last summer I was a guest speaker at a Football clinic, where I dogged out Chris Samuels (hall of fame LT for Redskins) and lived to tell the story... He then offered me a job when I walked off stage... Youtube evidence exists!
    -oh!!! And when Pacers visited New Orleans this year, Danny Grangers aunt gave my son and I VIP passes to go to the back and meet the entire team, where the Team took photos with us and signed his Gold Ball! Coach Vogel even guaranteed us a championship as he did today, and signed on the NBA Finals logo... Cool experience!

Otherwise, I'm new to Pacers Digest... And really appreciate the varying opinions of you members!
    Last edited by *astrisk*; 07-10-2012 at 04:28 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to *astrisk* For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama-Redneck View Post
    I'm just curious at what level of participation/coaching has each member been involved ??

Please answer honestly !!

I played when the peach basket was in vogue...not really but close.

I played High School ball and Industrial ball (Fall Creek YMCA, Dearborn Hotel etc.) and have been a devoted Pacer fan since the start of the ABA.

Thanks for you time.

My dad played at the Dearborn back in the 70's. I remember going there to watch him play and can still smell the popcorn! LOL

I played all the way up through high school and then played on a couple of Bloomington Rec League teams. I played a lot at the IU HPER building growing up also. Played against/with quite a few IU players back in the day... Daryl Thomas, Keith Smart, Ray Tolbert, etc. I also played a lot of intramural ball in the Air Force.

I've been a Pacer fan my whole life and still remember going to some of the ABA games with my dad and grandpa when I was a kid.
    A healthy man takes a crap every day. A smart man does it on company time.

I am undefeated in anyform of competitive basketball against my 7 year old son for the last 4 years...

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bballpacen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Bad ankles are a ***** ain't they?
    I've been playing with braces on both of them since 22. It's not great, yet. I used to be able to cut and jump toward the hoop really well but, after many an ankle injury, I just can't turn on a dime anymore.

I played up until high school, where I decided to focus on my two favorite sports to play in an organized league: soccer and tennis. I lettered in those two and never played organized basketball again. I still love to play pickup games, and I was built for basketball (I'm 6'3, and weigh 160) so I can hold my own. I'm definitely better at other sports though.