Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pacers Digest Background Check

Default Pacers Digest Background Check

I'm just curious at what level of participation/coaching has each member been involved ??

Please answer honestly !!

I played when the peach basket was in vogue...not really but close.

I played High School ball and Industrial ball (Fall Creek YMCA, Dearborn Hotel etc.) and have been a devoted Pacer fan since the start of the ABA.

Thanks for you time.

I would rather be the hammer than the nail

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Alabama-Redneck For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Pacers Digest Background Check

I went undrafted out of college despite four years of super serious intramural competition.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

I played basketball 3rd-10th grade both for school and organized leagues. I have been an Indiana Pacers fan since I was about 5 years old and am now 26 going on 27.
    FOLLOW ME: @WarnerSays

IU > Kentucky

Biggest PHILLIES PHAN in Indiana

“And as I go,I go with just a few words left to say,a few words I want to address to Colts fans everywhere, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart. I truly have enjoyed being your quarterback. Thank you.”
    - Peyton Manning

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bench fodder. Total scrub with two bad knees.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've played my whole life.

In high school, I would scrimmage with the high school team and worked with the coaches as a student assistant (not a student manager), I would handle statistics tracking and work with coaches to identify trends. That was a lot of fun and helped me learn quite a bit about the game. High school is a great level to learn about the real core of the game.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

BTW, cool thread
    FOLLOW ME: @WarnerSays

IU > Kentucky

Biggest PHILLIES PHAN in Indiana

“And as I go,I go with just a few words left to say,a few words I want to address to Colts fans everywhere, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart. I truly have enjoyed being your quarterback. Thank you.”
    - Peyton Manning

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

Playground legend....lol.

I suck. Played when I was a kid up until like middle school. I'm just a fan. I play with friends from time to time, but again, I'm lousy.

Only ever played recreationally, mostly in parks and driveways. Played 4 sports in high school just not basketball. Grew up watching every Bulls game on WGN as a kid and Purdue games with my parents. Basketball has also been my favorite type of video game since PS1.

played a very aggressive 15 mand game of 21 in the swimming pool the other day. Currently shoot baskets in the swimming pool daily:-) I also carry a ball in my car to shoot whenever I want. Used to feel to old to actually play(only 33) then i lost some weight.
    Last edited by spazzxb; 07-10-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Phew, I thought someone hired a P.I. to run a background check on P.D.

The result of that could be downright scary

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Read this if you want to hear a weird, strange and very true story.

Played all throughout grade school, 6th and 7th grade. But during summer break after 7th grade went tubing with a friend, we both hit a big wave and went high. When coming down from that wave my foot smacked the water onto something that left a puncture wound. We couldn't tell what the puncture wound in my foot came from was from since there was a dead catfish and a coke can next to where it happened. So i tried to tough it out and ice it not knowing what was wrong. About 2 AM the next morning I was in so much pain. Went to the hospital and they pulled something like this out of my foot. (not quite that big) Yes it is a catfish barb. So they took that out of my foot and I went home, the day after I got all that pain back again. Rushed to the hospital a second time and my foot was infected (bc Geist lake is nasty) from the lake water. Had to do emergency surgery bc the infection was spreading. It was really close to spreading up my leg which in turn I would have to amputate it. So had emergency surgery and they got all the infection out of my foot. Spent the next 2 weeks after that in the hospital and I couldn't walk for 4 months bc the pain. My basketball, football and baseball careers went down the drain as I was told not too participate in competitive physical activities. (They told me this because I lost all the cartilage in my foot due to the infection).
    Last edited by PacerPenguins; 07-10-2012 at 11:21 AM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:

Played throughout high school (won two sectionals in 1A), aau, summer leagues with teams and as individual. Played intramurals at BSU regularly, played through the week multiple times, played in a couple industrial leagues (Portland/Winchester).

From the age of 15-23, I was playing 4-5 times a week. One sunday afternoon I was playing, got pulled down from behind and fell. Completely ruined my lower back. Couldn't walk upright for almost a week. Now I tweak it when I play, and the pain just isn't worth it, so I've pretty much hung up my shoes at the ripe age of 26.

Wasn't too bad of a player. 6'1" scoring guard. Was getting looks from smaller D1 colleges (Drake/CMU) but had no real interest, some DII/DIII schools offered, but wanted to stay closer to home. (read that as young and in love)

Though I've been a fan all my life, I didn't start playing basketball seriously until my Freshman year of HS. Ended up playing enough AAU basketball and on my high school team to get "recruited" to play for a D-II team (I'm only 5'11 so I was going to be a bench warmer) Halfway through my soph yr of college, I suffered a BAD back injury. Ended the rest of my college "career" as an assistant coach. Now I just play recreationally.

I bleed blue N' gold through and through.

I'm sorry to hear that PacerPenguins

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pace Maker For This Useful Post:

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Read this if you want to hear a weird, strange and very true story.

Played all throughout grade school, 6th and 7th grade. But during summer break after 7th grade went tubing with a friend, we both hit a big wave and went high. When coming down from that wave my foot smacked the water onto something that left a puncture wound. We couldn't tell what the puncture wound in my foot came from was from since there was a dead catfish and a coke can next to where it happened. So i tried to tough it out and ice it not knowing what was wrong. About 2 AM the next morning I was in so much pain. Went to the hospital and they pulled something like this out of my foot. (not quite that big) Yes it is a catfish barb. So they took that out of my foot and I went home, the day after I got all that pain back again. Rushed to the hospital a second time and my foot was infected (bc Geist lake is nasty) from the lake water. Had to do emergency surgery bc the infection was spreading. It was really close to spreading up my leg which in turn I would have to amputate it. So had emergency surgery and they got all the infection out of my foot. Spent the next 2 weeks after that in the hospital and I couldn't walk for 4 months bc the pain. My basketball, football and baseball careers went down the drain as I was told not too participate in competitive physical activities. (They told me this because I lost all the cartilage in my foot due to the infection).
    Horrible story and I feel bad for you...catfish are some nasty fish. A kid down here was swimming in a River yesterday and lost his right arm below the elbow to an alligator attack. The picture the news outlets are using shows him posing in uniform on a football field (before the attack, obviously). Felt real bad for him too.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to mildlysane For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Never played organized ball, mainly due to home life stuff... but I can play. I still do. I have a court in the backyard and I go to local gyms and shoot around and do pickups. I like to think that I had/have what it took/takes to play some organized ball had the home life stuff been organized and my confidence was a lot higher, but what are ya gonna do. Now that I'm a lot further on in years and my confidence is high, I'm a lot better ball player than I've ever been, but ironically I'm too damn old to do anything with it, haha. I've watched so much basketball in my life that I like to think I'm fairly knowledgeable, albeit not on an x's and o's level, nor on a financial level... but I can spot a player when I see one. I'm more into the personnel and individual skills than anything.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 07-10-2012 at 11:37 AM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Mood

Basically, I am terrible. I was never on an organized team, I would just play at the park a lot. I was the 5'10" guy that likes to push himself and play in the paint. I really enjoy trying to post up on guys that have atleast 4-5in on me and see if I can beat them. I would almost compare my style to that of Hansbrough, or "the guy you hate playing against at the park". We all know him, the one that isn't that great but is overly intense.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama-Redneck View Post
    I'm just curious at what level of participation/coaching has each member been involved ??

Please answer honestly !!

I played when the peach basket was in vogue...not really but close.

I played High School ball and Industrial ball (Fall Creek YMCA, Dearborn Hotel etc.) and have been a devoted Pacer fan since the start of the ABA.

Thanks for you time.

Dearborn!

Wow. That place still standing?

Mood

Sports Logo

I play in youth leagues from 1st-3rd grade, but turned into more of a baseball fan during my 3rd-6th grade years (I'm over that now, can't ****ing stand baseball). When I got into 7th/8th grade, a friend of mine reintroduced me to basketball, particularly the wonders of streetball (explaining my over-fascination with the more exciting parts of the game; i.e. dunks, alley-oops, fancy dribbling and passes, etc.). During this time, he showed me the fun in dunking on 7'-8' goals. And I fell in love with the ability to exhibit skills and talents I wouldn't be able to display on a regular court, so to this day, I go play on short goals (primarily at the nearby Nashville Elementary) as often as I can (hence my avatar).

Besides low goals, I played in Brown County's Parks and Rec 16-and-older men's league, on a team I started, which had several players who were not of age to be playing. We would sometimes "draft" the occasional adult male, but he never stayed around or helped long enough to be a factor.

Our team played for three years, and never won a single game. That is, until one game when we played a team who only had 4 guys on the court for half the game (not our fault!). Two more of their players ended up showing up after halftime. We stayed with them all game, tied or within a few points, but ended up down by one with three seconds left in the game. I was exhausted, and benched by my coach (me), and almost couldn't bare to watch. The inbound went to a young Andrew Lockdall at the right 3pt corner, who turned and immediately chucked an arcing shot into the air. The buzzer rang, the shot fell through the net, and we won our first (and only) game in 3 years. We stormed the court, the family and friends who followed us for 3 years cheered like we'd just won game 7 of the NBA Finals with the same buzzer-beating 3. It was glorious.

Besides that, I've played in one "Open Run" tryout at an AND1 game in Indianapolis, at least 4-5 years ago. That was fun; I got some credit for my "skills". I miss playing on regulation goals nowadays, but never find interest in making time to suck on a regular goal (practice!?), when I can just jam on a low goal, where player attitudes are less serious, and it's more fun to play, imho.

PS: I've been a Pacers fan for most of my life, but only really got re-interested in it when I started playing again in 7th/8th grade. I remember hearing about the brawl, and seeing the replays. Then I vividly remember Reggie's last game (a couple years later), and that was when I was really starting to get back into the Pacers. It wasn't until (maybe) 4-5 years ago (senior year of high school-ish) that I started following them so avidly as I do now.
    Last edited by imbtyler; 07-10-2012 at 11:54 AM. Reason: more info!
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Mood

Last time I was at an NBA game was DET. Some idiot player layed down on the scorers table and I tossed my beer on him for the fun of it.

Crazy night, man.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to WhoLovesYaBaby? For This Useful Post:

Played high level ball as a kid in Chicago with lots of future NBA players like Shumpert, Evan Turner, D-Rose, Shannon Brown, Meechi McCamey etc. Had my confidence shaken in high school and stopped playing competitively. I then coached 6th-8th grade travel ball for several years and we absolutely tore everyone up. No talents like the ones I grew up with though.

Sports Logo

I played basketball for 10 years. From the age of 6 to the age of 16. I played in my local team's youth academy. My local team (Peristeri) plays in Greece's top league and they also participated in the Euroleague at that time so we had quite good academies.

However, I only started played in our competitive academies in my last 2 years. I was a bench player. I did play in most of our games, though. I'd play some good D (I could move laterally), I'd grab some boards, make a pass and stuff like that. I was an undersized 4 with no ball handling and shooting skills so I was kinda useless on offense.

I had a rift with my coach (I was growing my hair long at the time and he insisted on me cutting them and I refused) so I ended up back in the academies. After 2 months I stopped playing in the academies to concentrate on my exams.

Before taking my final exams at school I was considering to join a rugby club and starting to play rugby (I was a quite big fan of Madden NFL back then ). But shortly after finishing my exams I shattered my right knee in a fight. Torn PCL, torn meniscus and torn lateral collateral. I've yet to recover completely and of course I never even tried to play rugby. I do play basketball from time to time but it still buckles a lot.

I've been a Pacer fan since some older NBA Lives when I saw the Mullin + Reggie + Smits team.

I only played organized basketball through 8th grade. I played rec ball until I was 27 when my son was born. Now I will be coaching youth basketball this winter.
    I have been a pacers fan since 1987. Before that I only watched college ball.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Played in grade school but stopped before Jr High since I was spending more time running bleacher laps for missing free throws in practice than I was spending on actual drills.

Wrote sports for the local papers while I was in High School.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Made the team my freshman year in high school, but knew I would probably just ride the bench, so I gave it up and went on to do track and field. 400m relay and long jump were my best.

5'10" and could dunk in high school (and I'm white!). How did that not win me awards, I'll never know.

Played some pickup games in college, but messed up my ankle my freshman year and didn't play much after that. My ankle I messed up was my jumping ankle and I couldn't dunk anymore. *sigh*

When I moved to Atlanta after college, I found out that almost no one likes playing basketball here. It's all about college football (loads of golf & tennis courts). It's really hard to even find a basketball court....so I haven't played in around 7 years. I doubt I have even have a scrap of skill left.

/sorta cool story?
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!