Thread: My Day as an Orlando Magic Player

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default My Day as an Orlando Magic Player

http://photobucket.com/fantasycampmagic

Linked are pictures from a day I spent with the Orlando Magic last summer. This was the Magic's first annual suite holder's fantasy camp experience. The company I work for has a suite and they drew my name (along with one other person) to represent our company at the camp.

It was an incredible day. It started with everyone involved being split into four teams, each team being introduced ("picked") one person at a time. After the teams were picked, we took a tour of the facilities and then got changed (in the visitor's locker rooms). It was a single elimination tourney, and each team had a coach or player from the organization (no current players were involved). Our team rep was Nick Anderson. Bo Outlaw played on another team. Stan Van Gundy coached one of the teams. Otis Smith was there, as was Patrick Ewing. Smith and Ewing just coached, they didn't play.

I took a pic with my son and Patrick, which you'll see. (My son will realize one day who that huge guy was!) I told Patrick that I am a Pacers fan and that he caused me a lot of grief over the years. He just laughed. He was very nice to us.

The team trainer put us through some stretching and warm ups, then Stan led us through different dribbling, passing and shooting drills. Our team lost our first game, so we were out early. Nick Anderson missed every single shot he took (0-10, at least), which included a 3 at the buzzer that would have won the game. He was awful. Good to see he doesn't just choke in real NBA play off games!

After the games were played, everyone went back to the "draft" room and they served us a very nice dinner while we watched video from the day on the big screen. Everyone got some cool swag and a couple of weeks later a dvd was mailed out that had more video from the day on it.

I'm not a Magic fan, obviously, but it was a fun day and they did a great job of treating us all very well. I'd love to be able to do it again, but the chances of having my name drawn out of the hat again are slim to none. Regardless, I'll always have my one day as a member of the Orlando Magic.
    Last edited by A-Train; 07-09-2012 at 07:46 PM.

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to A-Train For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: My Day as an Orlando Magic Player

Man, I wish the Pacers would do something like that. That would be amazing.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

So did you feel a sense of abandonment and the same level of dread that Big Baby faces every day given the knowledge that Dwight is being shipped out and that you'd be in rebuilding mode for the next 2 to 3 seasons?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That would be so sweet to attend if the Pacers did it.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So did you feel a sense of abandonment and the same level of dread that Big Baby faces every day given the knowledge that Dwight is being shipped out and that you'd be in rebuilding mode for the next 2 to 3 seasons?
    Ha! Any sense of abandonment (or emotional attachment to the Magic whatsoever), was left on the court that day. I couldn't care less about the success of the Orlando Magic basketball team. The organization did right by their suite holders that day, though, and I was lucky enough to be included.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Train For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    Ha! Any sense of abandonment (or emotional attachment to the Magic whatsoever), was left on the court that day. I couldn't care less about the success of the Orlando Magic basketball team. The organization did right by their suite holders that day, though, and I was lucky enough to be included.

Yep....stuff like this is cool....regardless of what Team you root for.....something like this appeals to true Basketball fans that understands and can appreciate what the Magic were trying to do.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thanks for sharing. I can totally see where you are coming from. It wouldn't matter what team offered me this opportunity, I would be all over it. Great experience.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Man, I wish the Pacers would do something like that. That would be amazing.
    They already tried that with a guy named James White.

And yes, we played on the same floor that the Pacers are currently playing on for the summer league (which is what got me to reminiscing in the first place).