Thread: SI report on Indiana sports. Colts more popular than Pacers.

Default SI report on Indiana sports. Colts more popular than Pacers.

The new issue of SI spotlights Indiana sports. Thought this was interesting:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mag...tates/indiana/

In the poll down near the bottom of the page, Indiana residents listed the Colts as their favorite pro team (26%), easily beating the Pacers (16%).

An article about the changing relationship the state has with the game:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ma.../indiana/story/

Who do Hoosiers root for? SI asked the Hoosier State residents to weigh in* on sports.

Favorite major league baseball team
    Chicago Cubs 37%
    Cincinnati Reds 9%
    Chicago White Sox 6%
    New York Yankees 6%

Favorite NFL team
    Indianapolis Colts 49%
    Chicago Bears 14%
    San Francisco 49ers 4%

Favorite NBA team
    Indiana Pacers 60%
    Chicago Bulls 11%

Favorite NHL team
    Chicago Blackhawks 16%
    Detroit Red Wings 9%

Favorite pro team
    Indianapolis Colts 26%
    Indiana Pacers 16%
    Chicago Cubs 13%
    Chicago Bears 7%

Favorite college team
    Indiana 37%
    Purdue 21%
    Notre Dame 18%

Greatest athlete who ever lived in or played for a team in your state
    Larry Bird 53%
    Joe Montana 7%

State's biggest rivalry
    Indiana-Purdue 74%
    Notre Dame-Purdue 8%

More a fan of college or pro sports?
    Pro 52%
    College 22%
    Equal 26%

Favorite sport to play
    Golf 16%
    Bowling 15%
    Baseball/softball 15%

Favorite sports to watch on TV**
    Football 78%
    Basketball 55%
    Winter Olympics 50%
    Auto racing 43%

*Harris Interactive poll, conducted online, of 401 Indiana residents who identified themselves as sports fans. Margin of error +/- 5%.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: SI report on Indiana sports. Colts more popular than Pacers.

By suspect, I presume you mean the 26-16 disparity between the Colts and the Pacers.

I don't doubt that statistic. The Colts do draw much better from the entire state. Remember, the Colts play no more than one game a week at home. Tailgaters and attending fans come in from all corners of the state for game day. And game day traditions are much stronger than for the Pacers. On the other hand, I'd guess that the Pacers draw the majority of their fans from the middle third of the state.

And also, let's not forget that nationally, the NFL is more popular than the NBA. Right now that's just the way it is.

I'm sure there is much variation, but my guess would be that, on average, markets that have an NFL team and an NBA team are usually bigger fans of the NFL team. Just a guess, though, I have no facts to back up that claim.

Default Re: SI report on Indiana sports. This seems suspect to me

This seems suspect to me
    What part seems suspect? Favorite pro team?
    Indianapolis Colts 26% versus Indiana Pacers 16%

That doesn't seem suspect to me, because I've seen similar figures down though the years and I have a theory.

Who usually becomes hardcore fans of sports teams and drag their girl friends/Wives/kids/family/other friends to ball games? Usually former high school and collage jocks.

Okay, now look at the numbers of basketball compared to football. There's 12 on a team in basketball. In football there's 22 starters, plus at least that many reserves. So you have about 4 times as many former jocks that played football as basketball.

Of course a lot of jocks play both sports, especially at smaller schools, but such numbers are always going to give football an edge on basketball.

That's my theory, if someone has a better one let me hear it.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There are several pockets of anti-NBA residents in Indiana. You bring up Pacers, and they act like you have leprosy...

* Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Greatest athlete who ever lived in or played for a team in your state
    Larry Bird 53%
    Joe Montana 7%

*coughreggiecough*
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

More a fan of college or pro sports?
    Pro 52%
    College 22%
    Equal 26%
    This stat amazed me the most. The popularity of the NFL would explain the Colts v. Pacers but with IU and Purdue bball and Notre Dame and Purdue football I figured college would be way ahead.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

*Harris Interactive poll, conducted online, of 401 Indiana residents who identified themselves as sports fans. Margin of error +/- 5%.
    401 people. All of them with internet access. Not the broadest sampling of people really.

+/- 5% could be ah... 21% to 21%; Colts to Pacers.

Booger

I also figured the St. Louis Cardinals would have a bigger following than the Yankees and White Sox. I'm also flabbergasted at the college vs. pro thing too.

They must have been asking the wrong people.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

There are several pockets of anti-NBA residents in Indiana. You bring up Pacers, and they act like you have leprosy...

Heck, I believe it. At work this week I have heard 5 unsolicited complaints about the NBA. It's either: Too much traveling, The NBA is garbage, or being told, "Your the only guy that I know that can tell me anything about the NBA, but doesn't know ***** about real basketball". Sometimes, I just wonder why I even look for Pacer fans to talk to because it is almost as hard to find them here in Indy, as they were in Fort Wayne. This doesn't suprise me because on the daily basis because the local sports talk shows sit and just dig on the NBA..."Too many sound effects", "They must be like pavlog's dogs, if they didn't have the defense drums...would they play defense?"

My thought...Screw them all! I just can't get into college ball, I have tried, but hell...I would rather watch the CBA, then sit thru a college ball game.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Wonder during what month that survey was taken. That might have a bearing on the answers.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Heck, I believe it. At work this week I have heard 5 unsolicited complaints about the NBA. It's either: Too much traveling, The NBA is garbage, or being told, "Your the only guy that I know that can tell me anything about the NBA, but doesn't know ***** about real basketball". Sometimes, I just wonder why I even look for Pacer fans to talk to because it is almost as hard to find them here in Indy, as they were in Fort Wayne. This doesn't suprise me because on the daily basis because the local sports talk shows sit and just dig on the NBA..."Too many sound effects", "They must be like pavlog's dogs, if they didn't have the defense drums...would they play defense?"

My thought...Screw them all! I just can't get into college ball, I have tried, but hell...I would rather watch the CBA, then sit thru a college ball game.
    "They don't play with heart"
    "Look at me, I only earn millions because I'm 7 foot""
    "They're over paid"
    "It should be as pure as college or high school"

I could go on...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

401 people. All of them with internet access. Not the broadest sampling of people really.

+/- 5% could be ah... 21% to 21%; Colts to Pacers.
    Ker's right, this is the most important part of what's listed. A 5-point error margin statistically speaking is HUGE. Most news organizations refuse to even mention polls with that high an error. And considering it's an online poll with only 400 respondents, I don't see how you can say the margin is only 5%. How do you even know the people are from Indiana, for god's sake. This thing isn't worth the 0 and 1's it's printed on.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Wonder during what month that survey was taken. That might have a bearing on the answers.

They probably conducted the survey an hour after the Colts beat the Broncos in the playoffs. that might skew the results.

Don't get me started on the College vs. NBA thing. That used to really bother me, but I have learned to just let it go. As long as I can watch the NBA, and have you people to discuss it with I don't care what those pinheads think.