Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Mike Wells: Pacers matching Roy's offer sheet!

Default Re: Mike Wells: Pacers matching Roy's offer sheet!

We're overpaying both for the sake of continuity and chemistry. I think that's ok. Hard to measure full basketball impact of guys like Roy and Hill with stats.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All parties agreed to bypass the offer sheet...LOL!
    There isn't an offer sheet to sign cause the Pacers and Hibbert agree on resigning a new Contract. This party you speak of doesn't include Portland. Portland has no control or right to Roy and never did. Portland and Roy had no agreement. Portland was simply putting an offer sheet on the table and Hibbert can either sign it or not. As far as going to Portland to get a physical, my god man, that is standard procedure.

An intent to sign an offer sheet that a team has committed to do for said player is a one way commitment unless the player verbally agrees to sign. The intent for a player to possibly sign an offer sheet that is to be given to him is not an agreement. Multiple teams may put offer sheets on the table for the same player and each team will want said player to have a physical done before the offer sheet hits the table.

I hope you take the time to read this and understand for future RFA periods. It may keep you from having a headache!

Have a nice night BP
    Haha, so players fly around just taking physicals with teams they never plan on signing with? Good to know.

Also, it's pretty awesome to know that Roy wasn't flying to Portland because he could do the physical tomorrow, and sign the paperwork the same day at midnight. That would just make too much sense. Thanks for setting me straight.

Oh, and apparently someone needed to tell Roy he wasn't going to sign it. He certainly was unaware of his own decision, because that's not what he told Wells. Thanks for setting Roy straight too. He probably needed it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Haha, so players fly around just taking physicals with teams they never plan on signing with? Good to know.

Also, it's pretty awesome to know that Roy wasn't flying to Portland because he could do the physical tomorrow, and sign the paperwork the same day at midnight. That would just make too much sense. Thanks for setting me straight.

Oh, and apparently someone needed to tell Roy he wasn't going to sign it. He certainly was unaware of his own decision, because that's not what he told Wells. Thanks for setting Roy straight too. He probably needed it.
    For what it's worth dude, I really don't think you need to be defending yourself as adamantly as you have over this as frustrating as it may be. Most people, I think understood quite well what you and Kstat were getting at in your posts.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

Mood

I really do feel bad for Portland though.... Doubt their cities "unhappiness quotient" needed another hit...

They are over on Blazersedge prescribing each other Xanax... What do they know about those?

...(what? I couldn't help myself...)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *astrisk* For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    For what it's worth dude, I really don't think you need to be defending yourself as adamantly as you have over this as frustrating as it may be. Most people, I think understood quite well what you and Kstat were getting at in your posts.
    I agree with my boy thedon... we did understand... quite well... thanks for trying on the "egg beaters facial"...

Seriously, they were a bit self-riteous and presumptuous...

I think we can all agree that this turned into a happy ending and the overzealous banter between fans of our Pacers brethren is what we come here for... I really do appreciate kstat and bulletproof for their knowledge on most subjects... This time though, they were wrong..

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *astrisk* For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by *astrisk* View Post
    I really do feel bad for Portland though.... Doubt their cities "unhappiness quotient" needed another hit...

They are over on Blazersedge prescribing each other Xanax... What do they know about those?

...(what? I couldn't help myself...)
    Classy.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Classy.
    Thanks bro... just keeping it 100...

Man Portland fans are funny.

It seems as if theyve never seen how restricted FA's behave.

Theyve convinced themselves that Roys heart is actually in Portland.

Now I have no doubt he would be happy playing there. Thats why he may or may not sign that offer sheet (Who knows with all the reports).

But they just cant get over that they got played. He used them for leverage just like RFA's have been doing forever.

Its comical that they dont realize they got played. It happens. Roy will be perfectly happy here. Hes in his NBA home, has a good team, and a big paycheck.

Long live ROY!!!
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
    so, has everyone gotten off the ledge / put away the knives now?
    No, the ones that didn't want him signed for that amount just went out there and will camp out for the next 4 years or so.

Glad he is coming back and will look forward to him coming down here to work with Duncan again.
    Last edited by SycamoreKen; 07-10-2012 at 02:29 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

That odd moment when you read another NBA team fan forum, and realize that they think YOU are just as dumb and naive as YOU think (know) they are.
    Last edited by TMJ31; 07-10-2012 at 04:11 AM.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Yeah, it's in all parties' interest to forego the offer sheet.

Roy because he helps the Pacers get more players, doesn't get the negative press from signing with another team, and gets the same money either way.
    Pacers because it helps them sign other players.
    Blazers because it helps them sign other players/re-sign Batum.
    Something that gets lost in the discussion: Roy is actually losing something by not accepting Portland's offer sheet. First, Portland's offer contains a significant upfront payment, while the Pacers' offer likely will not. As anyone who understands the time value of money knows, getting a few millions 4 years early isn't anything to sneeze at. Secondly, as a matched RFA, Roy would effectively gain a no-trade clause for one year (can't be traded without his consent). He's giving that up too by signing the Pacers' offer instead.

Some smart aleck is bound to say, well he has 58 million reasons to give those things up. But the thing is, he can have all of the above ($58m, upfront payment, no-trade for 1 year) just by signing Portland's offer sheet, as he was on the verge of doing. Roy is really doing the Pacers a solid here.

I may also point out that another player in the same situation might feel pissed off that the Pacers didn't straight away offer him the max *cough*ericgordon*cough*, which apparently a bunch of other teams were prepared to do btw. Another player might have took umbrage that the Pacers took their sweet time in deciding whether to match, a decision by the way that many people consider to be a no-brainer. Another player might have been irked that the Pacers were talking up lesser players like Kaman while making him wait.

No, the very first thing we hear about Hibbert is that he's going to cooperate with our FO to improve the team. That says a lot about Hibbert, and the kind of commitment he has to the Pacers. I hope that's something that people around here keep in mind when the inevitable cries of "Overpaid!" start.

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Something that gets lost in the discussion: Roy is actually losing something by not accepting Portland's offer sheet. First, Portland's offer contains a significant upfront payment, while the Pacers' offer likely will not. As anyone who understands the time value of money knows, getting a few millions 4 years early isn't anything to sneeze at. Secondly, as a matched RFA, Roy would effectively gain a no-trade clause for one year (can't be traded without his consent). He's giving that up too by signing the Pacers' offer instead.
    Actually, I believe Roy is getting larger annual raises by signing the contract instead of us matching Portland's offer....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post

Some smart aleck is bound to say, well he has 58 million reasons to give those things up. But the thing is, he can have all of the above ($58m, upfront payment, no-trade for 1 year) just by signing Portland's offer sheet, as he was on the verge of doing. Roy is really doing the Pacers a solid here.

I may also point out that another player in the same situation might feel pissed off that the Pacers didn't straight away offer him the max *cough*ericgordon*cough*, which apparently a bunch of other teams were prepared to do btw. Another player might have took umbrage that the Pacers took their sweet time in deciding whether to match, a decision by the way that many people consider to be a no-brainer. Another player might have been irked that the Pacers were talking up lesser players like Kaman while making him wait.

No, the very first thing we hear about Hibbert is that he's going to cooperate with our FO to improve the team. That says a lot about Hibbert, and the kind of commitment he has to the Pacers. I hope that's something that people around here keep in mind when the inevitable cries of "Overpaid!" start.
    You just couldn't help yourself... could you?*cough*
    But you are right tho..

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This is just simply not true. Sports agents are only concerned about putting their clients in the best position to make the most money. If Roy was to flake out on Portland he would just simply tell them that is client has changed his mind. There is no perceived failure on the agents part, the agent is not working for or with the team.
    Full disclosure: I do not work in sports, nor am I a sports agent.

When I said "team" I meant the agents office team.

I have worked for/around agent, and while you are correct, they are still seen as flakes/losing credibility.

Does it impact their future work? Depends on who your client(s) are and how much pull you have.

At the end of the day, its all moot, as we are at Pacers Digest, not Sports Agent Digest of Faulk Digest.

Hmph. This morning ESPN and the local stories are all still saying Roy is signing and we are still just matching.

Is DA that far ahead of everyone or did he jump the gun? We shall see. Seems odd though either way. I just hope it goes whatever way works best for the Pacers, even if I end up wrong.

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post

Now I have no doubt he would be happy playing there. Thats why he may or may not sign that offer sheet (Who knows with all the reports).

But they just cant get over that they got played. He used them for leverage just like RFA's have been doing forever.

Its comical that they dont realize they got played. It happens. Roy will be perfectly happy here. Hes in his NBA home, has a good team, and a big paycheck.

Long live ROY!!!

Maybe Herb Simon is on to something not going after other teams restricted free agents

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Hmph. This morning ESPN and the local stories are all still saying Roy is signing and we are still just matching.

Is DA that far ahead of everyone or did he jump the gun? We shall see. Seems odd though either way. I just hope it goes whatever way works best for the Pacers, even if I end up wrong.
    It's just media being, lazy isn't the right word, easy I guess. Only have so many seconds to get a story out, no need to spend the majority of it breaking down how the NBA salary cap works for Joe Schmoe.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    It's just media being, lazy isn't the right word, easy I guess. Only have so many seconds to get a story out, no need to spend the majority of it breaking down how the NBA salary cap works for Joe Schmoe.
    I would have thought the same but they specifically mentioned signing the offer sheet and Pacers having 3 days to match. I would have not thought twice if they just said, "well he's staying with the Pacers".

billbradley

Everything I have read credits the Indy Star or Wells directly for the source of information, and Wells has piggybacked DA's story that the Pacers aren't technically matching.

And why would POR sign a max contract without having the player evaluated? They haven't had the best of luck with injuries...

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    why is it so important that someone one is right or wrong? what does it matter? Do you win a prize?
    Well of course there is a prize. 1st prize is 2 free meals at the fast food outlet of your choice. 2nd prize is 4 free meals.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Perhaps I am misreading the situation (wouldn't be the first time) but I thought Roy was signing the same contract.

If that is the case, wouldn't the end result really be Roy giving the Pacers a break (by giving them more time to operate without his cap hit)
    I guess that depends on WHEN he actually signs it. He could delay his signing, which would do what you suggest, or he could want to sign it as quickly as possible. My guess would be he agrees with the team to delay his signing giving them the extra time to make other deals under the cap rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Well of course there is a prize.
    I was told there'd be pie.

I like pie.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post

Long live ROY!!!
    I can picture them reading through the first 40 pages of this thread and saying the same thing about us.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Portland fans have a great sense of humor. They were deciding if this name should stick 'The Big Mediocre' or 'The Big Average'..... Well Roy, welcome back home where 92% of the fans love ya.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Portland fans have a great sense of humor. They were deciding if this name should stick 'The Big Mediocre' or 'The Big Average'..... Well Roy, welcome back home where 92% of the fans love ya.
    Everything worked out for the best

Most of the Portland fans haven't watched Roy grow from where he was his rookie year to where he is now or how much of an effect he has while on the court. The improvement has been quite possibly the best I have ever seen in a player. I expect him to keep getting better and better as well. With Roy so much of it was confidence and being in control. Well, $58 million should be a pretty big confidence booster. The rest is just honing his skills to an elite level, because the skill set is already there.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post: