Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Mike Wells: Pacers matching Roy's offer sheet!

Default Re: Mike Wells: Pacers matching Roy's offer sheet!

Most disappointing thing of the day, mods closed Grangerous's thread before I got to say something snarky!!!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lol dude it has not even been a day, that is a bunch, and that thread was about so much and had a ton of time to develop, and more than 75 % of it is probably redundant...
    I was just joking. I should have typed it in green.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pacers74 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    53 pages on the thread about Portland offering Roy the max only 13 when the Pacers say they are matching. Come on guys let's get excited!
    It didn't get to 53 pages in 7 hours...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    Glad to have Roy back but sad the Pacers will not contend for a title.
    This is our best chance to contend. Without Roy we would simply be a treadmill team.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    It didn't get to 53 pages in 7 hours...
    I know how to get people to quote me now.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    So you know for a fact the deal is the exact same? Front loaded and all.
    David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt

Indy, per source, will give Hibbert the same terms that Portland was ready to give in offer sheet, & so won't technically "match" the sheet
    I guess you can tell David Aldridge he's wrong too.

That information certainly sounds more like Indiana was doing Portland a favor, than anyone negotiating with Hibbert.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Who says the Pacers can't contend for a title? We're putting our hopes in our own guys to improve, do we no longer believe Paul George is going to develop into a very good player? Or Hibbert will improve? Or even Hill and Collison? This is also the first time our guys have gotten a training camp with Frank Vogel and we're likely to sign a difference maker off of the bench.

We had the 5th best record in the NBA last season, and we're likely to leapfrog Chicago this year, Wade is declining, though still very good. IMO anyone that is a top 3 seed in their conference IS contending for a title, and we still have lots of room to grow, unlike most of the other more established top teams. Not resigning Roy was never an option, we'd instantly plop from a top team to a middling one.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

Roy Roy is going to be one wealthy man. So who's going to suggest a little expansion with his section...AREA 18,165 :P
    All those season tix is pocket change now lol

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rel For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    I guess you can tell David Aldridge he's wrong too.

That information certainly sounds more like Indiana was doing Portland a favor, than anyone negotiating with Hibbert.
    Won't go down without a fight eh?

How about a little common sense. Why would Indiana offer the exact same contract as Portland? If they're happy with Portland's exact same contract, they'll just tell Roy to sign the offer sheet and match in 3 days. No reason to do Portland a favor, when they might use their freed up space to drive up the price of our other FA targets.

Anyway Aldridge (and Wells) HAVE been wrong - they both thought Hibbert was signing Portland's offer sheet, and that's definitely been proven wrong. The problem is that journalists aren't making the fine distinctions that we're arguing about, and especially not in an informal medium like twitter.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rel View Post
    Roy Roy is going to be one wealthy man. So who's going to suggest a little expansion with his section...AREA 18,165 :P
    All those season tix is pocket change now lol
    Yep, they'll get rid of that lousy name, Bankers Life Fieldhouse, and just call it Arena 55.

19. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Freddie fan For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

I think that the reason that Roy would not sign the contract from Portland has less to do with doing a favor for Portland than it does giving ourselves more of a chance to sign other players...

21. The Following User Says Thank You to bballpacen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Won't go down without a fight eh?

How about a little common sense. Why would Indiana offer the exact same contract as Portland? If they're happy with Portland's exact same contract, they'll just tell Roy to sign the offer sheet and match in 3 days. No reason to do Portland a favor, when they might use their freed up space to drive up the price of our other FA targets.
    Why would we be cordial to Portland? Why don't we chase RFA's? Same thing.

Also it allows us to be in more control of when Hill/Hibbert sign their contracts and allows us to use our cap space before hand if we so choose. It honestly just makes sense for all involved to do it that way.

If you want to apply common sense, if the Pacers were willing to give more money and negotiate something Roy liked better than the Portland offer, then why did they allow him to go as far as he did with Portland? Why not just offer more years and whatever to keep that from happening in the first place? Makes no sense. Why would you negotiate a contract that you weren't willing to offer before, now that you don't have to?
    Last edited by xBulletproof; 07-09-2012 at 10:09 PM.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

billbradley

Also it allows us to be in more control of when Hill/Hibbert sign their contracts and allows us to use our cap space before hand if we so choose. It honestly just makes sense for all involved to do it that way.
    I interpreted "same terms" as same money total over 4 years, I would assume the Pacers would spread the yearly dollar amount out in way that better suits them rather the front loaded contract reported. I guess time will tell.

But your statement here alone was the entire point of Roy not signing the offer sheet, something that you said wasn't possible. The Pacers have more control by getting Roy to sign with them and not with POR. It's simple, you made a mistake, no big deal.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bballpacen View Post
    I think that the reason that Roy would not sign the contract from Portland has less to do with doing a favor for Portland than it does giving ourselves more of a chance to sign other players...
    This ^^^

Roy signing with us gives us more time to pursue other FA's before his deal would eat up our cap space.
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

If you want to apply common sense, if the Pacers were willing to give more money and negotiate something Roy liked better than the Portland offer, then why did they allow him to go as far as he did with Portland? Why not just offer more years and whatever to keep that from happening in the first place? Makes no sense. Why would you negotiate a contract that you weren't willing to offer before, now that you don't have to?
    My guess is that Pacers weren't sure that they wanted to commit to 4 years/$58m before. But now that they have, it makes sense to do a years vs money tradeoff, assuming Hibby is willing to play ball.

But yeah, that's something that seems blindingly obvious to me but that no one else seems to accept. If it turns out I'm wrong, I'd be happy to admit it. Just as I let go of my argument when Wells "confirmed" that Hibbert was signing with Portland. If Hibbert does sign for 5 years though, I'm going to post "I TOLD YOU SO"s all over the freaking forum

28. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

so, has everyone gotten off the ledge / put away the knives now?

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Frostwolf For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

So, As I have said, there was no agreement with Roy and Portland. Simply Portland offering an offer sheet.

So, Falk is not damned by anyone cause his client didn't hold up to his side of an agreement, cause there wasn't ever an agreement to begin with.

I just had to get that out here to the ones that was trippin and putting words out there that wasn't even out.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Also, I'm happy that Roy will be here, just wish it was for a little less. Might still happen, but I doubt it!

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Roy didn't pay for that flight, it was probably on Portlands dime since he was flying out there for his physical and such.

I can just imagine Pritchard and Walsh (probably on a hover round with pritchard on the back) racing through the airport, dodging people left and right and screaming " ROY! ROY! WE STILL LOVE YOU!"
    So Pritchard let the Blazers think they were going to get him, fly him out there, only for Pritchard to stop Hibbert at the gate and make Paul Allen waste a plane ticket.

Probably the best Pritch-Slap possible. He's been planning that one since he was fired in Portland. Take that, Paul Allen!

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    So, As I have said, there was no agreement with Roy and Portland. Simply Portland offering an offer sheet.

So, Falk is not damned by anyone cause his client didn't hold up to his side of an agreement, cause there wasn't ever an agreement to begin with.

I just had to get that out here to the ones that was trippin and putting words out there that wasn't even out.
    So Roy was getting ready to fly to Portland to go through the physical and paperwork for an agreement that didn't exist? I may have been wrong that he would sign the offer sheet, but you're certainly wrong that there wasn't an agreement.

Also, no Falk won't be condemned for anything because all parties agreed to bypass the offer sheet.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Yeah, it's in all parties' interest to forego the offer sheet.

Roy because he helps the Pacers get more players, doesn't get the negative press from signing with another team, and gets the same money either way.
    Pacers because it helps them sign other players.
    Blazers because it helps them sign other players/re-sign Batum.

And, for the record, our front office essentially put on a clinic on how to negotiate with a RFA:
    1.) Present low ball offer
    2.) Allow the market to set his value (Portland)
    3.) Weigh offer and declare willingness to match if deemed in the organization's interest
    4.) Revisit negotiations of initial offer (got lucky here)

Of course, one would have preferred Roy to have taken less money to begin with but alas, that is not how it works.
    Last edited by rexnom; 07-09-2012 at 11:08 PM.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post

An agent only has his word to go on. If Roy said "screw it, I am going going to go sign a 2 year deal with Indiana and leave Portland waiting for me at the airpor" Faulk and his team would take a major credibility hit.
    This is just simply not true. Sports agents are only concerned about putting their clients in the best position to make the most money. If Roy was to flake out on Portland he would just simply tell them that is client has changed his mind. There is no perceived failure on the agents part, the agent is not working for or with the team.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Mood

So Roy was getting ready to fly to Portland to go through the physical and paperwork for an agreement that didn't exist? I may have been wrong that he would sign the offer sheet, but you're certainly wrong that there wasn't an agreement.

Also, no Falk won't be condemned for anything because all parties agreed to bypass the offer sheet.
    All parties agreed to bypass the offer sheet...LOL!
    There isn't an offer sheet to sign cause the Pacers and Hibbert agree on resigning a new Contract. This party you speak of doesn't include Portland. Portland has no control or right to Roy and never did. Portland and Roy had no agreement. Portland was simply putting an offer sheet on the table and Hibbert can either sign it or not. As far as going to Portland to get a physical, my god man, that is standard procedure.

An intent to sign an offer sheet that a team has committed to do for said player is a one way commitment unless the player verbally agrees to sign. The intent for a player to possibly sign an offer sheet that is to be given to him is not an agreement. Multiple teams may put offer sheets on the table for the same player and each team will want said player to have a physical done before the offer sheet hits the table.

I hope you take the time to read this and understand for future RFA periods. It may keep you from having a headache!

Have a nice night BP

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Most disappointing thing of the day, mods closed Grangerous's thread before I got to say something snarky!!!
    speak up!

I agree with this part:

In other words, Hibbert isnt a franchise-changing superstar, but hes a fine two-way center, and those are worth big money. I might be wrong, but Id wager today that the Pacers are more likely to regret paying Hill $40 million over five years than paying Hibbert $58 million over four.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post: