Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: (7/9/2012) IND vs PHI "Orlando Summer League" Official Gamethread

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: (7/9/2012) IND vs PHI "Orlando Summer League" Official Gamethread

Quote Originally Posted by rel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    pretty refreshing to see 'Orlando Johnson' is trending in Indy right now. Glad to see more hoosiers are paying attention.
    All the bars had this game on in Santa Barbara. Orlando played a good game but still has a lot to improve on. I'm hoping his shot selection improves against OKC tomorrow.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    what a pass by Lance!
    I dont want any weekass sg freeagent like mayo. Just give Lance his minutes. Its not we r gona be champhion either way..
    Lance can't shoot from outside. Mayo is very good from deep range and also creates his own shot.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Think Burke (the strength coach, right?) is coaching so they run fewer sets and more streetball/guard-oriented?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lance played with great poise and he was under control. He made several strong drives to the basket actually looking to pass. He could've had 10 assists if his teammates could've made some shots.

OJ has good scoring ability. He's a good 2nd round prospect. He's sort of a poor mans Barbosa so maybe that's what the Pacers have in mind for him.

Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Lance played with great poise and he was under control. He made several strong drives to the basket actually looking to pass. He could've had 10 assists if his teammates could've made some shots.

OJ has good scoring ability. He's a good 2nd round prospect. He's sort of a poor mans Barbosa so maybe that's what the Pacers have in mind for him.

Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    Oh my god... do you know what you just did? thats nearly a banable offense around here.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Mood

Not reading the thread, I haven't seen the game and I know nothing of the outcome, but it will replay tomorrow morning at 7 for those who might have missed it.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Oh my god... do you know what you just did? thats nearly a banable offense around here.
    Nearly??

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

Wow.. I'm stealing that for my sig
    Last edited by Kemo; 07-10-2012 at 07:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

So, I spent most of the game watching Plumlee and here's what I saw.

Pros:

1) He sets nice screens. It's refreshing to see that he is a guy who actually tries to set screens and free up the guard instead of rolling to the basket before contact. He also actively tries to set as many screens as possible. When the ball-handler is in his side he'll actively look for him and try to set up a screen.

2) He seems to know how to pass. He is not a great passer or anything but he can get the job done. He doesn't seem like a black hole.

3) His jumper seems ok. Yes, he tends to fade away when shooting which in most cases is bad. Yes, his release is strange. But the release seems to synergize well with the fade so the shot that is produced seems good.

4) He made 75% of his FTs. If he is able to hit them in a 70% clip then I'll be very happy. Of course, the sample size is very small and I need to see more.

5) He did try to establish good post position in any chance he got.

Neutral:

1) His rebounding is a bit weird. He is not always active. He did grab double digit rebounds but sometimes he was content just blocking out and letting his other teammates get the boards. That's not necessarily back but it can backfire.

Cons:

1) He is not a good second leaper. When he jumps for a block, he will not recover quickly to grab the board. In fact, most of the times he doesn't even jump for a second time.

2) He is very raw offensively. He seems to have decent footwork but his touch around the basket is bad. He did seem to finish strong when he had the chance even though he missed one dunk.

3) He didn't struck me as someone who could block a lot of shots. He does not seem to know how to do it yet. Roy and the coaches could help him in that department a lot.

4) He is not moving a lot when he is in the weak side. Of course, there were no set plays so his off the ball movement couldn't be great but I'd like to see him trying to go around his defender in order to acquire a better position for an offensive board.

Overall, I like Plumlee. If Roy can help him develop a back to the basket game then he'll be a solid backup.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Nice work Nuntius.

On passing. I know T Bird always puts emphasis on this little appreciated skill, but he looks like he might be able to make great outlet passes, which really can ignite a fastbreak unit on the floor. Lord knows they need it. Now lets see if DC can figure out to jump stop at the FT line and make a bounce pass to someone filling a lane....or lets see if someone can fill a lane, maybe too.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Is this going to be the game thread for today too?
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Moe Harkless follows his 9pt performance with 2pts. He's only played about 10min though.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    Think Burke (the strength coach, right?) is coaching so they run fewer sets and more streetball/guard-oriented?
    No. Dan Burke is a normal assistant coach.

Shawn Windle is the strength coach.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

It seems like some of the key negatives of Plumlee could be corrected or learned. On the other hand, how does one explain the fact that he didn't seem to learn some of these things under one of the best coaches in college basketball? I guess we must also consider the fact that he will be playing every day against an 7'2" NBA All-Star center in practice. If he can't learn and improve from that, I don't know what to say. I'm hoping for the best. I do like what I've seen so far, though.

Is there anyone who can teach him to learn to use those incredible athletic gifts? I'm up for anything that could work. I'd be up for bringing Bill Walton back to help, even if he says more loony stuff about Beethoven or whatever goes through that guy's head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KkrccHEAqg

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacer View Post
    On the other hand, how does one explain the fact that he didn't seem to learn some of these things under one of the best coaches in college basketball?
    I don't think that Coach K has anything to do with big man development. I still remember him playing Team USA with Elton Brand, Chris Bosh and LeBron James at the 5 and completely forgetting Dwight Howard on the bench in Saitama. Of course, I was glad he did since this helped my NT to beat Team USA and advance to the Finals

I get it that he's considered a legendary coach in the USA but I don't put too much stock into how he uses his big men.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    I don't think that Coach K has anything to do with big man development. I still remember him playing Team USA with Elton Brand, Chris Bosh and LeBron James at the 5 and completely forgetting Dwight Howard on the bench in Saitama. Of course, I was glad he did since this helped my NT to beat Team USA and advance to the Finals

I get it that he's considered a legendary coach in the USA but I don't put too much stock into how he uses his big men.
    Boo this man!

But no I completely agree on Coach K, who was the last good big man from Duke? Is it Boozer?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pezasied182 View Post
    Boo this man!
    The thought of the guy in your avatar saying "Boo this man" is hilarious

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    Wow.. I'm stealing that for my sig

It's not that ridiculous if you remember DD as a rookie.