Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 54

Thread: Are The Pacers Setting Lance Stephenson Up To Fail?

  1. #1
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,617

    Default Are The Pacers Setting Lance Stephenson Up To Fail?

    http://www.indycornrows.com/2012/7/8...son-up-to-fail

    Indiana Pacers guard Lance Stephenson has been a high-maintenance young player in his two years with the Indiana Pacers. After struggling through his rookie season without playing much but still managing to drive a few teammates nuts, Stephenson stayed around Indianapolis and went to work.

    He kept working on his game throughout the lockout and last season when after being afforded some minutes in the early part of the season, he found himself back on the bench when the games started to become meaningful. Stehpenson remains in Indy to keep working at the Knox Pro Am games and the Fieldhouse.

    Honestly, since starting off no the wrong foot his rookie season, Stephenson has done just what you would hope as far as putting in the work and keeping his mind on the game and his career. But his contract heading into the upcoming season is not guaranteed and his guardian angel at the Fieldhouse, Larry Bird is not going to be around.

    So when I hear coach Dan Burke talking about Stephenson playing in the Orlando Summer League and the expectations they have for him to lead the team and show some growth in areas not directly related to on-court basketball skills it makes me wonder if, by setting up this challenge for Stephenson this summer they aren't instead setting him up to fail which would support letting him go before the next NBA season starts.

    Summer league play is not a direct correlation to play in the NBA and I certainly wouldn't want my future hinging on how things go down in Orlando. There are players scrapping for jobs both on the Pacers summer roster and on other teams. They aren't looking to develop great chemistry and become a cohesive unit. Players looking for NBA roster spots are primarily concerned with impressing scouts and coaches on hand, hoping for a call to go to camp in October.

    Expecting Stephenson to lead a team that doesn't necessarily want to be led is tough. Stephenson is a bit of a lightening rod because of the flashes of talent and his name, but he could put it all together and be an impact player for the Pacers which would make anything he does in Orlando from a leadership standpoint moot. Keeping him on the roster is almost easier to justify since his salary ($870,000) makes barely a mark on the cap. But looking at things from a different angle, the team may simply be ready to move on from the Stephenson experiment and using Orlando to give him a chance to perform in front of the rest of the league.

    That would be much more fair than forcing him to earn his spot by trying to lead a summer league team.
    I didnt see this posted yet , and I know how much you guys want another Lance thread, so my gift to you
    Sittin on top of the world!

  2. #2
    Member WhoLovesYaBaby?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    627
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Are The Pacers Setting Lance Stephenson Up To Fail?

    Yes, they are setting him up! Like someone said on another thread; Pacer front office is a bunch of vindictive 14 year old girls!

    Now if Lance would get a Justin Beaver hair cut, he might fair better.

  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WhoLovesYaBaby? For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,271

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Are The Pacers Setting Lance Stephenson Up To Fail?

    I swear I thought this was a bump from either of the last two summers.

  5. #4
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,189

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Are The Pacers Setting Lance Stephenson Up To Fail?

    uhh ... hwut?

    So basically the Pacers are so keen to have an excuse to let Lance go at the end of this coming season that they'll play him SPECIFICALLY SO HE CAN FAIL?

    Wow. Just wow.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,271

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Are The Pacers Setting Lance Stephenson Up To Fail?

    ..what was their excuse for letting AJ Price go?

  8. #6
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacer Purgatory Praying for Paul
    Posts
    3,584
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Are The Pacers Setting Lance Stephenson Up To Fail?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ..what was their excuse for letting AJ Price go?
    My guess would be that AJ privately requested it because he wants a chance to be a point guard somewhere that respects passing and creating for others out of the 1, as opposed to being expected to be a scorer and create his own shot as a primary function.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,271

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Are The Pacers Setting Lance Stephenson Up To Fail?

    Sorry, forgot to include the green font.

    You don't need an excuse to let a 2nd rounder go. Teams cut them every day. Many of them just aren't that good.

    AJ Price is an NBA player, but it seems like he was cut on a whim. Whether it was his whim or Donnie's, who knows.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  12. #8

    Default Re: Are The Pacers Setting Lance Stephenson Up To Fail?

    Asking somebody to produce now, or else is not setting him up to fail. It's asking for fair return on your investment. He's been babied along, pampered even. If he is not ready to show he belongs in the league by now, then I see no reason to expect another year of easing him in would get him any closer to that point.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:


  14. #9
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,271

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Are The Pacers Setting Lance Stephenson Up To Fail?

    ok, honest question: if Lance Stephenson was cut before the start of the season, would anybody here be shocked?

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  16. #10
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,453

    Default Re: Are The Pacers Setting Lance Stephenson Up To Fail?

    While I don't think they are setting him up to fail, I do think they are giving him a rather short leash. Hans hasn't really earned anything, but he keeps getting chance after chance. I'd just like to see Lance be giving the same types of chances. Give him more than 10min a game.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:


  18. #11
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,286
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Are The Pacers Setting Lance Stephenson Up To Fail?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ok, honest question: if Lance Stephenson was cut before the start of the season, would anybody here be shocked?
    I would be, but not as much as if Larry were here.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:


  20. #12
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,271

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Are The Pacers Setting Lance Stephenson Up To Fail?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would be, but not as much as if Larry were here.
    I thought of that when i asked the question.

  21. #13
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,271

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Are The Pacers Setting Lance Stephenson Up To Fail?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ok, honest question: if Lance Stephenson was cut before the start of the season, would anybody here be shocked?
    Shocked, no.

    Disappointed, yes.

    I don't see why you cut him anyway. You got a guy with loads of talent working hard to become better. He is still crazy young too. I just don't believe you cut a player like that.

  22. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  23. #14

    Default Re: Are The Pacers Setting Lance Stephenson Up To Fail?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ok, honest question: if Lance Stephenson was cut before the start of the season, would anybody here be shocked?


    Not in the least.

  24. #15
    Member pacergod2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,886
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Are The Pacers Setting Lance Stephenson Up To Fail?

    A couple of points.

    I would be shocked if Lance was cut because he makes the league minimum and the cost is a bargain for his upside.

    AJ Price got cut because his price tag went up from a minimum second round player to asking for more than his QO which was over $1M. I think this is more of an indication that we aren't going to trade Collison if anything. I like Price and I like his game. He is kind of cut from the same cloth as McRoberts and Rush. The what if he didn't get drafted under JOB thread (I apply the same for Hibbert, but he quickly became a focal point for the offense after JOB left). Price has the least talent of the four of them. Price isn't looking for much more money than the QO, I doubt, but I think he wants a situation where he is higher than fourth string PG.

    I think the team is looking for Stephenson to prove his maturity. They are putting him out there in a position to succeed, not a position to fail. I think it shows your distinct disbelief in Stephenson to succeed.

    Stephenson and Pendergraph I think are going to dominate SL. I think Stephenson will get more minutes this year as long as he can promote ball movement and take advantage of his skills within the team concept, which he showed flashes of last year. Up to this point, he has been way too deliberate with either going to the rim or passing the ball as if he made his mind up before he even gets the ball. Read and react. Know the offense and react to opportunities in the defense. That is the key to him taking the next step. The team wants to make sure that he is a player with the head and will power to continue to grow. He will succeed if he is capable.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

  25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:


  26. #16
    Member *astrisk*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    484
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Are The Pacers Setting Lance Stephenson Up To Fail?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ok, honest question: if Lance Stephenson was cut before the start of the season, would anybody here be shocked?
    I would be shocked if for no other reason than he is a versitile player, who has 2 years and 2 million on his contract. (Unguaranteed)

    His familiarity with our system in combination with a need for a 3rd PG, makes Lance a good option to keep around. Atleast for one more season...

  27. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Are The Pacers Setting Lance Stephenson Up To Fail?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My guess would be that AJ privately requested it because he wants a chance to be a point guard somewhere that respects passing and creating for others out of the 1, as opposed to being expected to be a scorer and create his own shot as a primary function.
    I would be astounded if this was true. AJ would be happy to sign a contract with the Pacers or anyone else....... But, I have been astounded before......

  28. #18

    Default Re: Are The Pacers Setting Lance Stephenson Up To Fail?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Shocked, no.

    Disappointed, yes.

    I don't see why you cut him anyway. You got a guy with loads of talent working hard to become better. He is still crazy young too. I just don't believe you cut a player like that.

    I understand your thought, and can agree to a point. BUT truly where does Lance fit in to the scheme of things with the Pacers?

    PG? He's 3rd string at best.

    SG? The Pacers had 4 SG's, not including Lance, b4 drafting Orlando J. Then the Pacers have been looking at other SG like OJ and Lee.

    So where does Stephenson fit in? What's his future with the Pacers?

    Would I be surprised if he was cut? No, but I won't be surprised if he was used as trade fodder either. His future with the Pacers may truly hinge with what players the FO picks up this off season.

  29. #19
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,617

    Default Re: Are The Pacers Setting Lance Stephenson Up To Fail?

    all things considered,

    Yes , I would be shocked
    Sittin on top of the world!

  30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:


  31. #20
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,358

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Are The Pacers Setting Lance Stephenson Up To Fail?

    I will not care one iota if he is cut. Nor will I be exceedingly surprised.

    But, if they choose to cut him or keep him based on anything that happens on the court this week in Orlando, they are next level stupid.

    *** Edit: Other than an injury I suppose. ***
    Last edited by BRushWithDeath; 07-09-2012 at 03:22 PM.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  32. #21
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,488

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Are The Pacers Setting Lance Stephenson Up To Fail?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ok, honest question: if Lance Stephenson was cut before the start of the season, would anybody here be shocked?
    No. I still think most of Bird's comments about Lance were always just veiled sarcasm.

    That being said, I hope Lance gets his chance to help the team at the 2. I think he could give us some scoring from that spot.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  33. #22
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,638

    Default Re: Are The Pacers Setting Lance Stephenson Up To Fail?

    Summer league play is not a direct correlation to play in the NBA and I certainly wouldn't want my future hinging on how things go down in Orlando
    Sure it is Corn Rows, guys that look poor in summer league typically do not make the NBA. It's a one-sided correlation in that doing well means nothing, but playing poorly is a quick trip out of camp.

    Jamison Brewer called to ask you guys to all give him one more chance because that summer league season set him up to fail and that's the only reason he was cut. He's was about to be one of the Pacers go-to guards and the stupid summer league ruined it for him.



    Sheesh, how apologetic to fans have to get when they start using playing time as a secret, unfair agenda meant to wreck a player's career.

    This just in, the Spurs decade long dream to humble Duncan and thus reduce his salary is only a few more years from working out, and only about a decade too late. But the Spurs are sticking to it and sooner or later "they'll show him".

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  35. #23
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    4,488
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Are The Pacers Setting Lance Stephenson Up To Fail?

    Lance generates a ton of convo on here, which is funny. Here are some things I believe:

    1. Frank is a good NBA coach

    2. Frank can recognize talent

    3. Our backcourt was not that strong (hence bringing in Barbosa)

    4. If Lance Stephenson, AJ Price, Chris Kramer or any of the ballboys could have helped the team Frank would have put them on the court

    5. I trust Frank's judgement. He runs practice. He sees what guys can do. If he doesn't believe Lance is good enough to get minutes ahead of guys like Barbosa and Dhantay Jones then I don't think he is either.

    6. Considering this will be Lance's 3rd year (I believe) on the team and he STILL can't beat out journeymen type guys, no, I will not be shocked if he is not on the team.

    That is all

  36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:


  37. #24
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,898

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Are The Pacers Setting Lance Stephenson Up To Fail?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ok, honest question: if Lance Stephenson was cut before the start of the season, would anybody here be shocked?
    Shocked? No. Surprised? Yes.

    Sure it might have been Bird pushing for him to get playing time, but I still think there are quite a few people in this franchise that want him to succeed. I doubt Bird was the only one who saw potential in him. Most people here see it. I hope we don't let him go before the season, no reason to really. I hope he has a great summer league and takes that next step into becoming a useful role player.

  38. #25
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,898

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Are The Pacers Setting Lance Stephenson Up To Fail?

    Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lance generates a ton of convo on here, which is funny. Here are some things I believe:

    1. Frank is a good NBA coach

    2. Frank can recognize talent

    3. Our backcourt was not that strong (hence bringing in Barbosa)

    4. If Lance Stephenson, AJ Price, Chris Kramer or any of the ballboys could have helped the team Frank would have put them on the court

    5. I trust Frank's judgement. He runs practice. He sees what guys can do. If he doesn't believe Lance is good enough to get minutes ahead of guys like Barbosa and Dhantay Jones then I don't think he is either.

    6. Considering this will be Lance's 3rd year (I believe) on the team and he STILL can't beat out journeymen type guys, no, I will not be shocked if he is not on the team.

    That is all
    what journeymen have been beating out Lance?

  39. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Lance Stephenson Making Strides To Help Pacers On The Court
    By 90'sNBARocked in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 02-11-2012, 03:54 AM
  2. Pacers’ Lance Stephenson Patiently Waiting:
    By 90'sNBARocked in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-01-2012, 08:29 PM
  3. Pacers statement regarding Lance Stephenson
    By Peck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 08-23-2010, 07:51 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-16-2010, 12:17 AM
  5. Pacers Sign Lance Stephenson
    By SMosley21 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 07-23-2010, 12:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •