Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Summer League Observations, Opinions, and Comments

Default Re: Summer League Observations, Opinions, and Comments

So, how long until people start calling Julian Mavunga the next savior of the franchise ??

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Brent Barry just made my point on why I didnt like Marshall at all for the NBA. A great passer is nice but a great passer does no good if he cant penetrate to get his teammates easy high % shots. Kendall will find teammates but it will be around the perimeter for the most part and be low % shots IMO. Not being able to penetrate is gonna kill him in the NBA. Combo that with terrible defense I just don't see how he is worth anywhere near a lottery pick.

But Dragic will help you can put Marshall on the weaker guy and play him with Goran. The Suns will suck for a long time but I don't think their owner cares I think he just wants a product that is fun to watch.

Dion Waiters only burned Marshall like 3 times in the 1st half that concerns me maybe he is more out of shape than even I though .

Sports Logo

Royce White is an excellent creator.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

That injury does not look good at all..

Let's hope that the guy is ok.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Royce White is an excellent creator.
    don't spoil that game doesn't come on my tv until 1am they showed the other game live (that game is the best matchup of the SL for me lol)

My 2 favorite spects face off Damian Lillard and Machado

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    don't spoil that game doesn't come on my tv until 1am they showed the other game live (that game is the best matchup of the SL for me lol)

My 2 favorite spects face off Damian Lillard and Machado
    I love Lillard's game. He is a clear-cut NBA PG. He's smart, he can score, he can set up other guys. Most of all, he penetrates. Something that will make him a solid PG in the pros. Portland will be a solid team in coming years.
    Last edited by Trophy; 07-17-2012 at 10:09 PM.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Anyone see Nolan Smith get knocked out? Went up for a layup and got hit in the head, was out for a few minutes apparently. Woke up and had movement everywhere and responded to questions thankfully. Left the court on a stretcher, he's in the hospital overnight for precautionary purposes.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    I love Lillard's game. He is a clear-cut NBA PG. He's smart, he can score, he can set up other guys. Most of all, he penetrates. Something that will make him a solid PG in the pros. Portland will be a solid team in coming years.
    Ya I was hoping he would stay under the radar like he was his junior year (I had him as a fringe lottery guy at that point and most had him late 2nd) but that didn't happen. The way he improved off his foot injury was incredible. He just showed what a great work ethic can do for you in that year he sat out due to injury. Portland got the steal of the draft at #6 if he went to another program he is the #2 pick easily(he should of been the #2 pick anyway). I will likely be watching the majority of his games next year in Rip City.

I would of traded a anyone on draft night to get him. But making a jump from #26 to #5 is almost impossible.

I got mad every time people said there was only one franchise player in the draft. I think Lillard is a franchise changing guy easily.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 07-17-2012 at 10:22 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

I'm super high on Lillard. I'd trade any Pacer and possibly any two Pacers for him. He's going to be a star, barring injuries....no doubt about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Anyone see Nolan Smith get knocked out? Went up for a layup and got hit in the head, was out for a few minutes apparently. Woke up and had movement everywhere and responded to questions thankfully. Left the court on a stretcher, he's in the hospital overnight for precautionary purposes.
    Walked out of the hospital tonight but looked really woozy getting into a car. He's definitely done for the summer league but should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    So, how long until people start calling Julian Mavunga the next savior of the franchise ??
    Surely he is better than Tyler

Really wanted Royce White. I hope he has great success with the Rockets.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Really wanted Royce White. I hope he has great success with the Rockets.
    I wanted Royce as well. Good pick by the Rockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    I wanted Royce as well. Good pick by the Rockets.
    Jeremy Lamb was a good pick as well. He has great length and is showing that he has promise as a scorer in the league.

Rockets got Terrence Jones too, who has put up very good numbers so far.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

story on E'Twaun Moore's solid play, learning the PG position

25 points on 10-of-19 shooting to go along with seven rebounds and two assists

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celti...-case-to-stick
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Rockets got Terrence Jones too, who has put up very good numbers so far.
    Dude is driving me crazy he and Marcus Morris are so selfish. Every time they get a rebound they want to go coast to coast. Royce White does it do to a point but White is very unselfish and makes the right play the other 2 do not.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Mood

My dude Machado finally played pretty good. He was forcing TOs on defense and penetrating at will on Marquis Teague. I am still a little mad we didnt offer him a guaranteed deal like the Cavs did with Kevin Jones.

had 20/6 and 4 steals and only 1 TO. He still needs to learn his personal but with a full camp that wont be an issue. Defensively he played like I scouted today quick hands and feet and in the right positions. His defense isnt gonna be good by any means but much better than he gets credit for.

Dont put much stock in it but he did it vs a NBA guard and happy he at least will get a camp invite for sure now.

He played like I envision him playing at the NBA level vs a terrific NBA athlete at that. I still dont get how Tbird saw Cabbages in him LOL but that is the nature of scouting some see different things in different players. Oh well better for him anyway he will probably be Houston's main backup next year.(would rather see him as a primary backup and develop than a 3rd string here. Although I would of rather signed him and after next year he could be the main backup if he progresses and develops like I know he can.)

The Rockets team overall looks amazing so far. As if they were trying to get to Orlando ASAP.
    Lamb, Motiejunas, Jones all very impressive.
    Motiejunas should be very good next year. Obviously depends on where he plays and how many PFs with more NBA experience are on that team. (Donate him to the Bobcats to play next to Biyombo, please.)
    Lamb should be in rotation right away. + lots of upside. I never liked him, because he looked bad in U19 World Cup; but I'm starting to change my mind.
    Machado kind of meh overall, but for an undrafted guy he looks fine; he deserves a chance.
    Royce White doesn't look as well as I thought. He needs to settle down. I think he'll get much better soon. A better shot would help a lot too.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddage View Post
    Jeremy Lamb was a good pick as well. He has great length and is showing that he has promise as a scorer in the league.
    I haven't understood why so many people didn't expect J. Lamb to be a good player. I had him rated as one of the very best shooting guards in the draft. I think Beal was the only guy I rated higher at SG, primarily because Beal is significantly stronger at the moment. J. Lamb currently lacks strength, yet he's still playing well. He seems very smooth and skilled to me. I think he's going to be quite good after he fills out a bit.

On the other hand, many seemed to go nuts over Waiters, which obviously included the Cavs. I still don't understand that. I wouldn't have started to seriously consider Waiters until mid-1st round or below. He seemed to be terribly overrated to me.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    The Rockets team overall looks amazing so far. As if they were trying to get to Orlando ASAP.
    Motiejunas should be very good next year. Obviously depends on where he plays and how many PFs with more NBA experience are on that team. (Donate him to the Bobcats to play next to Biyombo, please.)
    Lamb should be in rotation right away. + lots of upside. I never liked him, because he looked bad in U19 World Cup; but I'm starting to change my mind.
    Machado kind of meh overall, but for an undrafted guy he looks fine; he deserves a chance.
    Royce White doesn't look as well as I thought. He needs to settle down. I think he'll get much better soon. A better shot would help a lot too.
    I agree and I expected that he especially needs to know his teammates. Kind of hard to be a floor general when you have never played with the 12 player before. He also shot the ball terribly but I kind of expected that too.

Dontas was hit or miss agree with Jones he was selfish but he was making his shots so wasnt a big deal

SG spot was so deep in the draft like I said pre draft. Lamb at 12 was such a good value all the SG's really were good value outside of Waiters. Beal went a little high for my taste but I guess you gotta pay extra for the NBA ready body and IQ plus the defensive potential no doubt best total package of the SG's currently. I love how Lamb plays just plays his speed and doesnt rush very mature for a young player.

I cant believe how the Kings are using Trob they need to post him up more. They are setting him up to fail if how they used him in SL is how they plan him to play in the season.

Dontas was hit or miss agree with Jones he was selfish but he was making his shots so wasnt a big deal
    Donatas was extremely inconsistent in terms of hitting shots. It's no problem, McHale isn't going to let him shoot a ton anyway, he'll be forced to play in and around the post a lot and make a few jumpers.

But he plays with so much energy, that's the main thing I wanted to see from him. He's going to have to establish himself as a high energy guy in the league, otherwise he'll be too flawed defensively to be a rotation guy.

Right now, he reminds me a lot of Jason Smith from the Hornets. Good shooting, some nice post moves, energy, lacks defensive talent overall, too many fouls. He's a much better passer and a bit bigger than Smith, so if he could just be that -- a bigger Jason Smith with passing -- he'll be a rotation player in the NBA for 10+ years.
    I had a much worse opinion of him before the draft last year.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Machado finally had a nice scoring game, but his court vision is what I like the most about him.

Mood

My dude Machado finally played pretty good. He was forcing TOs on defense and penetrating at will on Marquis Teague. I am still a little mad we didnt offer him a guaranteed deal like the Cavs did with Kevin Jones.

had 20/6 and 4 steals and only 1 TO. He still needs to learn his personal but with a full camp that wont be an issue. Defensively he played like I scouted today quick hands and feet and in the right positions. His defense isnt gonna be good by any means but much better than he gets credit for.

Dont put much stock in it but he did it vs a NBA guard and happy he at least will get a camp invite for sure now.

He played like I envision him playing at the NBA level vs a terrific NBA athlete at that. I still dont get how Tbird saw Cabbages in him LOL but that is the nature of scouting some see different things in different players. Oh well better for him anyway he will probably be Houston's main backup next year.(would rather see him as a primary backup and develop than a 3rd string here. Although I would of rather signed him and after next year he could be the main backup if he progresses and develops like I know he can.)
    They also grabbed Aaron Brooks so he will probably be 3rd string there too, but he did really well against a really inexperienced Teague. I think he is NBA quality PG especially seeing what he has done in summer league. I think the Pacers could still offer him a contract if they would like, I mean Augustine is only on a one year deal, would not be that bad of a situation for him to enter into.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    What do you mean where he plays, Dontas signed a contract, I could not imagine them trading him. I would not be surprised if he did not really work in the low post as much either, it seems like a good NBA coach would know his skillset and try to best use it. I think he would get fairly board if this were the case, and then the questions about him being a indifferent type player would come back into play.
    Why so SERIOUS