Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Summer League Observations, Opinions, and Comments

Sports Logo

Default Re: Summer League Observations, Opinions, and Comments

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    (looks at Jeff Pendergraph)
    The guy had a bad first game, sure. But in the second game he was amazing but he got hurt and has not played since.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Miles is a lot better offensive player than I expected. He's "miles" ahead of Jeff Foster in that regard. I've seen him score in a variety of ways and he's shot a high percentage (.526).
    I have to say that he is nothing like what I expected. He is more polished offensively than I thought he would be. Especially, his jumper. But his a worse rebounder than I expected as well. It's a weird summer league

Stephenson and Plumlee both made first team. Nice showing.
    Link

1st Team
    G – Alec Burks, Utah
    G – Lance Stephenson, Indiana
    F – Andrew Nicholson, Orlando
    F – Austin Daye, Detroit
    C – Miles Plumlee, Indiana

2nd Team
    G – Brandon Knight, Detroit
    G – Reggie Jackson, Oklahoma City
    F – Lazar Hayward, Oklahoma City
    F – Jared Sullinger, Boston
    C – Kyle O’Quinn, Orlando

Honorable Mention
    Boston – Dionte Christmas, E’Twaun Moore
    Oklahoma City – Garrett Temple
    Utah – Enes Kanter, Jeremy Evans
    Orlando – Justin Harper, Maalik Wayns
    Detroit – Kim English
    Philadelphia – Jacob Pullen, Justin Holiday
    Brooklyn – Al Thornton, Tyshawn Taylor

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Love me some John Jenkins shooting he is looking like he did at Vandy today lights out.

Wizs and Beal are getting ran out of the gym.

EDIT: Beal's handle looks so much better than it did at FL. That system wasnt good for his game he should be better if the Wiz use him right.

Terrence Jones, Machado and Jeremy Lamb coming off the bench interesting. HOU has a loaded SL squad considering how many young guys they have on their team.

I cant wait till wednesday my 2 favorite pgs go head to head Machado vs Lillard (also Will Barton)
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 07-13-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Golden state are gonna be really good this year

Klay and Barnes look good

God I love Gilchrist. He reminds me so much of Sprewell (with good shot selection).
    Last edited by imawhat; 07-13-2012 at 10:31 PM.

Sports Logo

This will be used in Pistons game threads

9. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo

Brad Beal is just abusing Jeremy Lamb right now

Kendall Marshall!!!!

Wait, I don't see him. What?!?

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    God I love Gilchrist. He reminds me so much of Sprewell (with good shot selection).
    That shooting stroke is mighty ugly from the field and the line........ I cannot picture his shooting a good percentage...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    That shooting stroke is mighty ugly from the field and the line........ I cannot picture his shooting a good percentage...
    Most of his shots are going towards the rim. I can't imagine him not shooting a good percentage.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Perhaps so. I love his defense and his hustle but I don't think he will score enough.....

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    Perhaps so. I love his defense and his hustle but I don't think he will score enough.....
    Enough for what? When he was drafted I don't think it was to average 25 ppg.

He was drafted primarily as an elite wing defender who could rebound his position well and contribute in a transition game.

Mood

I have a feeling Brian Shaw will be going to Portland. Neil Olshey confirmed he wants a great teacher who realtes well to players. Shaw fits the bill perfectly and the Lillard Shaw connection (Shaw is Lillard's mentor of sorts)would be a great fit.

speaking of my boy Damian tonight man he came up clutch. He played awful for the most part but again showed why I love the guy so calm and cool tough he competes and never too high or low. He just didnt shoot the ball like he normally does(Like OJ he is a great shooter his bad shooting wont bother me every shooter has off nights or slumps)

Probably my favorite pg I have ever scouted I just love everything about the kid if I was a coach I would really love that guy as my pg and team leader. So smart high IQ I just love everything he does on a basketball court. The way he changes speed is an art and a skill he and Tony Parker do it better than anyone. I love my guards who can play at 8-10 different speeds and the know when to use each speed it truly is an art. Can make an average speed guy like Rubio play really quick and fast. It makes good athletes like Lillard unstoppable off the dribble. putting a defender to sleep is probably my favorite thing a great pg does when you can do that it makes you so much more versatile. Most guards like DC and Hill play way to fast and dont know when to play super fast and when to slow down. DC is especially bad about it.

I loved what Myers Leonard showed tonight I didn't know he could play that hard. He ran the floor better than college and really helped the team by just running rim to rim. He didn't get many touches but I loved what I saw. He was overly physical and I didnt think that would be a problem LOL. He is still a big time project likely 2-3 years away from being good but I love his upside and potential skill set.

But him taking Arvydas Sabonis #11

you gotta earn that # IMO

Dr. , Marshall has contract issues it's kind of every lottery guy gets 120% of the scale should of been done the day after draft night really. Maybe Starver is getting cheap again?? I dont know it really is weird.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 07-16-2012 at 03:06 AM.

James White has already put up two stinkers for the NYK. Being a preseason cut twice after signing two separate guaranteed contracts would be some kind of rare achievement

19. The Following User Says Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

THE Jimmer put up 30

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

Robbie Hummel is making his debut!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    THE Jimmer put up 30
    And gave up 50

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    Robbie Hummel is making his debut!
    how'd he look?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    how'd he look?
    haven't watched the game yet but he had 6/6/1 with a block on 3-6

Mood

my man Scott Machado finally looked semi-comfortable today. He still didnt look normal but playing with 12 new guys will do that to you. Rockets arent a good fit ethier Royce White and Terrence Jones are so ball dominate on his unit hard for him to play his game. When he plays with 2 other point forwards and guys who never catch his passes because they aren't use to guys making those kind of passes.

I hope a team gives him a chance he will be fine once he learns his teammates and gets into a NBA training camp.

EDIT: and Dontas showed in his past 3 games why I had trouble scouting him. One game he looks like the next Dirk with a motor. The next game he looks like a poor mans Darko it may be age. But he looks the exact same as he did in Euro when I scouted him dude is an enigma. I have no clue how he will pan out but it's just weird how half the time he doesn't show up and the other half he almost cant be stopped.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 07-17-2012 at 02:45 AM.

Mood

Sports Logo

Reggie Jackson slams all over dunk contest "winner" Jeremy Evans in Summer League:

To whomever likes Jackson. This shows off his length and athleticism. And also, screw Jeremy Evans.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to imbtyler For This Useful Post:

Article from Conrad Brunner about the Pacers summer league players.

Indianapolis -- Summer league basketball is akin to minor league baseball. It's less about wins and losses than player development and evaluation.

The Indiana Pacers aren't sweating their 2-3 record in the recently concluded Orlando Pro Summer League because they got exactly what they wanted from the week in Florida -- long looks at third-year guard Lance Stephenson as well as rookies Miles Plumlee and Orlando Johnson.

For the most part, they liked what they saw.

Stephenson continued to build the case he is ready for a regular role off the bench, leading the team in scoring (19.8) and assists (4.8), not to mention turnovers (3.5). He shot .526 overall but continued to struggle for consistency behind the 3-point line, shooting 5 of 17 (.294).

"He's ready to get his shot," Coach Frank Vogel said. "The moves we made on our bench are setting him up to be the backup shooting guard and he's going to get the opportunity to go into training camp with that as his role.

"It's time for us to find out, to really find out, about Lance Stephenson. We feel like we've got some guys around him in Gerald Green and D.J. Augustin -- two laser 3-point shooters -- that are just going create space for him to go to work. We're looking forward to seeing him come in and take the next step."

Plumlee showed little of the advertised characteristics that led to his surprise selection at No. 26 overall -- defense, rebounding and a Jeff Foster-like aggression. Instead, he primarily showcased his offensive game, averaging 13.0 points on 46 percent shooting while also pulling 6.6 rebounds 31.6 minutes.

With the acquisition of veteran Ian Mahinmi from Dallas last week, the pressure is off Plumlee to fill the backup center role right way.

"I thought Plumlee had a better week than I expected," Vogel said. "I thought he showed a better touch at shooting the mid-range jump shot than I thought he had. He showed more of a low-post game than I really thought he had. He made some impressive offensive plays. He showed us more than what we thought. His athleticism and finishing at the rim was what we expected. We knew he's a great dunker and finisher and exciting in that regard.

"He rebounded the ball pretty well. We want to see him be a dominant rebounder. He wasn't terrible, he was pretty good. But overall, very excited about the week he had."

Johnson, the second-round pick from Cal-Santa Barbara acquired by the Pacers from Sacramento in a draft-night trade, had no problem creating shots but struggled mightily to knock then down. He shot 20 of 76 (.263) overall and was 4 of 19 (.211) from the 3-point line, averaging 12.4 points and 5.0 rebounds.

"Sitting next to Donnie (Walsh) and Larry (Bird) and Kevin (Pritchard) during all the practices leading up to summer league, the son-of-a-gun didn't miss a shot in five practices," Vogel said. "Every mid-range jump shot, every open three went down. And it was the complete opposite in summer league.

"As a result, when he started missing some shots he started forcing it a little bit, which all young players are going to do. We're not wavering in our confidence at all that he's going to be a heck of a player for us."

Jeff Pendergraph had a hard fall in the first game that led to two developments: an injury that limited the veteran power forward's availability and the late addition of Julian Mavunga to the roster.

The undrafted free agent rookie from Miami (Ohio) impressed the coaching staff with his strong, consistent low-post play. A product of nearby Brownsburg, Ind., Mavunga was a high school teammate of Gordon Hayward who did not commit to basketball full-time until his senior season.

He averaged 6.0 points and 6.0 rebounds in 19 minutes per game, hitting 50 percent of his shots and may well have earned an invitation to training camp in October.

"He had a terrific week, really made the best of his opportunity," Vogel said. "A little bit undersized (6-8, 245) but he just went in and basically kicked everybody's butt that he played against which was fun to see and exciting to have as part of what we did in summer league.

"We're looking forward to having him back and getting some more workouts with us and potentially having him in as a camp guy."

There were fewer victories than hoped but more pleasant surprises than not, which qualifies the Pacers' summer league experience as a success.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Mood

Dion Waiters looks awful out of shape and cant drive on Dleague scrubs. His defense is awful instead of working out by himself after getting a promise pretty clear he just sat on his *** eating donuts. Not that big of deal just SL and has tons of time to get in shape for the season but if he cant stay in shape for the most important time of his career(the draft) that doesn't sound promising on his work ethic.

Watching him vs the Suns should be interesting if he cant drive on Kendall Marshall I will really start to

I never liked his back round he was a big time whiner at Cuse. Threaten to transfer because his HOF coach wouldn't start him. I still dont get all the love he got predraft very good agent same agent of Kobe Bryant when he came out. Much more of a me guy than a we guy.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post: