Thread: News: Kevin Love losing patience with Timberwolves' losing, wants roster upgraded

Default News: Kevin Love losing patience with Timberwolves' losing, wants roster upgraded

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--ke...s--losing.html
    Author: Marc J. Spears

Kevin Love losing patience with Timberwolves' losing, wants roster upgraded

LAS VEGAS – Team USA's roster is filled with 12 NBA players who have won seven total championships and appeared in a combined 700 playoff games. Only one of those dozen players has never played in a single postseason game.
    Minnesota Timberwolves All-Star forward Kevin Love.
    And he's not happy about it.

Kevin Love is the only Team USA player without a single postseason appearance. (US Presswire)
    In an interview with Yahoo! Sports, Love urged Minnesota's management to acquire the necessary talent to make the franchise a contender. If the Timberwolves don't start winning this season, Love isn't sure how long he'll want to be a part of Minnesota's future.
    "My patience is not high," Love said. "Would yours be, especially when I'm a big proponent of greatness surrounding itself with greatness? All these [Team USA] guys seem to have great players around them.
    "It's tough seeing all these guys that are young and older who have all played in the playoffs. When they start talking about that, I have nothing to talk about. If I don’t make the playoffs next year I don’t know what will happen."
    [Related: Breaking down the Team USA roster player-by-player]
    The Timberwolves haven't made the playoffs since 2004, a string of eight seasons. Love was hopeful the T'wolves would end the streak last season, but they lost rookie point guard Ricky Rubio to a season-ending knee injury on March 9 and never really recovered. Love admitted he was disappointed Minnesota's front office failed to get an adequate replacement for Rubio. With Rubio sidelined, the T'wolves finished the season with the Western Conference's fourth-worst record (26-40).
    Love will begin his four-year, $62 million contract extension this season, but the deal allows him to opt out after three years. He sought a maximum five-year extension in negotiations before last season, but T'wolves officials balked. Another losing season could change his desire to stay with the franchise long-term.
    "At this point, I’m not afraid to go on the record," Love said. "Being around these [USA] guys, they know the situation I’m in and how competitive I am. I want to win. All the players on the Timberwolves feel the same way, as well. The coaching staff is awesome. They want to win and win now. Hopefully, we can make some stuff happen.
    "I would say it's coming down to it for sure [next season]. It's no secret I was willing to commit to Minnesota for five years. I'm very happy with my contract. I'd love to be in Minnesota. But like anybody else, I want to win."
    Love and Deron Williams are the only players on Team USA whose NBA teams didn't make the playoffs last season. Williams, however, has agreed to re-sign with the Brooklyn Nets after the Nets struck a deal to acquire All-Star guard Joe Johnson from the Atlanta Hawks. The Nets also are continuing to try to trade for Dwight Howard.

The Timberwolves have already made some moves this offseason to try to upgrade their roster, reaching agreement on a two-year contract with former Portland Trail Blazers guard Brandon Roy, who is trying to return to the NBA after chronic knee injuries forced him to sit out last season. They also acquired forward Chase Budinger from the Houston Rockets and came to an agreement with restricted free-agent forward Nicolas Batum on a four-year, $45 million offer sheet that the Trail Blazers have vowed to match. Forward Michael Beasley left the T'wolves to sign with the Phoenix Suns and Minnesota has shopped forward Derrick Williams, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2011 NBA draft.
    "If we don’t make the playoffs, I don’t know it’s going to be me or something, but our management needs to step up and make some moves," Love said. "Chase is good for us. Brandon if he can come in relatively healthy and be back to somewhat of where he was … we can be pretty damn good, especially in the fourth quarter with how he used to be [with the Trail Blazers] with LaMarcus [Aldridge] in the pick-and-roll. If Ricky can come back healthy that would be great.
    "But I think our front office and ownership needs to step up and get us some pieces. We need to make some moves. We can't just stand still. We have to make this happen."

T'wolves general manager David Kahn said he has spoken to Love about the franchise's plans for the future.
    "I'm sure Kevin has a sense of urgency," Kahn said. "I think the team demonstrated it could win last season before we were hit with a cascade of injuries. I thought we were on the right track and surely we would have competed for the eighth and final playoff spot if we remained healthy. Next season is shaping up to be better than last year.
    "Under Kevin's leadership, I would expect him to compete for the playoffs. The one thing we can't control is injuries. I'm hopeful for a healthy year."

Love loves playing with Rubio and center Nikola Pekovic, and is hopeful Rubio returns healthy. Kahn said Minnesota doesn't have a firm timetable for when Rubio should be cleared to play. Still, Love said he will continue to push Minnesota's management to add more pieces to the roster because T'wolves fans "deserve a better product."
    "I don't know if we will blow up the team again, if I'll be moved," Love said. "I don’t know.
    "But something has to happen in Minnesota."
    The next Dwight Howard, maybe? Well the Twolves are practically doing the best to build a contending team (getting a good coach, getting a great young PG, lottery draft picks etc.) They're just unfortunate that it's not working so far.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: News: Kevin Love losing patience with Timberwolves' losing, wants roster upgraded

Rubio had them in the playoffs before he got hurt last season. They aren't that far away from being a good team.

Love is in Minnesota for 3 more seasons. He's got no room to talk about wanting out right now.
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-09-2012 at 08:27 AM.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Default Re: News: Kevin Love losing patience with Timberwolves' losing, wants roster upgraded

While I think he just said it publicly because he's on a team full of star players, he's just talking too early about saying about his future in Minny. They are young, improving and just peaking up. As the team's leader and face of the franchise, he should be focused more on carrying his team back into contention.

Maybe if his team had tough pills they'd make the playoffs.

6. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ugh, more prima donnas thinking they have to win immediately. It's not like he's 32 he's got plenty of time to contend.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeremy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rubio had them in the playoffs before he got hurt last season. They aren't that far away from being a good team.
    Exactly. They will be good quite soon.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

What are these guys eating in the US camp? First Gordon, now Love.

Theyre shopping D Williams? Interesting...
    FOLLOW ME: @WarnerSays

IU > Kentucky

Biggest PHILLIES PHAN in Indiana

“And as I go,I go with just a few words left to say,a few words I want to address to Colts fans everywhere, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart. I truly have enjoyed being your quarterback. Thank you.”
    - Peyton Manning

Hansbrough for Love! That's what's been holding up our moves...

Quote Originally Posted by _The_Future_ View Post
    Theyre shopping D Williams? Interesting...
    It took David Kahn 12 months to realize he drafted a power forward with the #2 pick when they already had arguably the NBA's best power forward playing 40 minutes a game.

They tried to get him to become a small forward, and he just isn't.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Mood

I'd offer Tyler and a future first for Williams. OR Future first and AJ..... oh, wait.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

So far, they have shopped him for Harden, MKG and Batum.
    Judging by that pattern, our offer would have to start with Paul or Danny.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    So far, they have shopped him for Harden, MKG and Batum.
    Judging by that pattern, our offer would have to start with Paul or Danny.
    And that's why he is never going to play for the Pacers

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:

2nd post said it best. Plus, you know your team has a max offer for Batum. They're volunteering to overpay because it would fill a need and pretty much guarantee them (health willing) a playoff spot. Knowing that, you whine? You haven't even played an Olympic game yet and you're LeBron now? Whatever, we'll see if Love is willing to take the veteran's minimum in 3 years to play with "greatness surrounding itself with greatness." lol

Something about that guy that just rubs me the wrong way.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

He used to be one of my favorite players but his personality has gotten in the way of me liking his play.

The apple didn't fall far from the d-bag tree. He's not as bad as his dad Stan or his uncle Mike, but he's in the same circle.

Sports Logo

If KLove hasn't noticed....the TWolves have been HEAVILY rumored to be involved with many Teams trying to significantly upgrade their roster.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Im really really glad I dont have to root for Kevin Love on my team. Lets hope he doesnt take the floor much for Team USA. That would make for a bit of a quandry...

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    He used to be one of my favorite players but his personality has gotten in the way of me liking his play.

The apple didn't fall far from the d-bag tree. He's not as bad as his dad Stan or his uncle Mike, but he's in the same circle.
    Exactly my opinion. Love his game, loved him as a prospect because of his game, but after reading the latest Beach Boys article in Rolling Stone I got reminded of how douchy his uncle can be. Pair that with some of Kevin's NBA moments and comments and it starts looking like a pattern of learned behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Exactly my opinion. Love his game, loved him as a prospect because of his game, but after reading the latest Beach Boys article in Rolling Stone I got reminded of how douchy his uncle can be. Pair that with some of Kevin's NBA moments and comments and it starts looking like a pattern of learned behavior.
    I didn't even know he was related. Never made the connection. I'm not a big Beach Boys fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post

Love is in Minnesota for 3 more seasons. He's got no room to talk about wanting out right now.
    Like thats ever stopped an NBA player from wanting out

I'd be surprised if Love stays in Minnesota for 3 more seasons. Love is hollywood. No doubt about it. He's a character for sure. It doesn't matter what the Wolves do to that roster, he will want out. He wants a big market. Hell he already gets lost up in Minnesota by most people, its all about Blake Griffin. And you know he hates that. Minnesota will trade him before they lose him in Free Agency.