Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

So according to this article we either A) Do not want to go into the luxury tax, or B) Refuse to add a scorer to the team. "A" is expected and "B" is clearly not true.

The bigger thing to me in that article is that supposedly the NBA is working behind the scenes to improve the Bobcats? WTF is that? This entire things looks made up to me.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post:

Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So according to this article we either A) Do not want to go into the luxury tax,
    I read somewhere that Brooklyn is looking at 102 million in Luxury Tax payments ALONE after next season. I DON'T blame Herb.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    When did you start believing SImon didn't want to spend?

What players were not spent on specifically that caused you to believe this?
    Did you read what I posted or did you stop at the first line?

Thanks for the responses on Bird still hanging around. Would he really be welcome if he is talking behind his owner's back? That is what makes me doubt this somewhat. As for Gordon, maybe he told them Phoenix was his preferred destination? Maybe they believed the Hornets really are going to match no matter what is offered?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    I'd actually be glad if Simon said 'No' to going after Eric Gordon. Not worth the money.
    I think he is saying NO to going after other players too not just EJ, it looks like we are lowballing the crap out of people.

Obviously ur not a golfer 5_7_Clash's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't understand. Isn't this what we've been hearing all along? I mean after all the "I've been doing this for nine years and my back hurts" stuff, all anyone has talked about with sincerity is that Bird wanted to spend and Simon didn't. I mean that's all Bird ever talked about in his pressers: "As long as my boss is willing to spend the money..." This shouldn't come as any surprise. We've been told all along, we just didn't want to hear it.
    The interesting thing to me is that this SHOULD put into perspective the Exec of the Year Award for those people who crapped all over Bird for getting it. Look what he and his people did with an owner who wouldn't spend. Pretty impressive even if bitter-sweet.
    Last edited by 5_7_Clash; 07-07-2012 at 11:00 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 5_7_Clash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Herb didn't want to pay 58 million to a guy who has injury problems. Easy as that.
    I can buy that with regards to Gordon, but something still smells to me regarding why Bird left. He claims he already knew he was leaving as of the time of his post-season press conference, but I just have a very hard time buying that. He was so upbeat, so into it, so looking forward to what comes next, etc., and then he leaves. Something still doesn't add up.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

billbradley

Quote Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
    Did you read what I posted or did you stop at the first line?
    Read everything, my questions weren't answered in there.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    it looks like we are lowballing the crap out of people.
    People keep wanting to say this, but where's is the evidence besides 'Player X signs with Not Pacers' over and over again?

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I read the article twice and it seems highly speculative to me, and I dont really buy it as the article suggests. So Bird tells Simon we need another scorer and Herb refuses, so Bird leaves. Does anyone think it is that simple. Doesn't ring true to me
    Why not? Bird stated a few weeks ago he loved his job and wanted to continue to right after his meeting with Simon decides to quit. Does it need to be more complicated?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I think he is saying NO to going after other players too not just EJ, it looks like we are lowballing the crap out of people.
    If that's the case, then why did we slightly overpay for George Hill, and why are there constant rumors of us going after Mayo & Brand? Doesn't make sense.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    If that's the case, then why did we slightly overpay for George Hill, and why are there constant rumors of us going after Mayo & Brand? Doesn't make sense.
    Makes a lot of sense if you listened to the press conference. Bird said that Simon hates to let people go. Hes very loyal to his people... He overplayed GH3 because he wants the same group coming back. Roy is gonna be matched as well...

The reason for OJ is because he is a cheaper EJ (and bird loves him)... and Brand is the opportunity to steal a good player...

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *astrisk* For This Useful Post:

This is so right! Bird wanted to try and take the next step and be a true contender but the pacers are happy being a playoff team. Larrry is a winner and left when business topped trying to be the best. I think if the Pacers tried to do what the colts do and try to build a contending team people would come support the them.

Read everything, my questions weren't answered in there.
    Im watching the UFC 148 right now - I may post more on this later. I've come to this opinion based on watching the team operate over the last 25 years. Free agency is a very small part of it.

Mood

Don't you guys see what is going on here? Starting July 1st, teams throw out ridiculous offers. I mean look at what Houston is offering Asik, Toronto is offering Fields, at Phoenix is offering EJ. It isn't worth it. These teams are overspending and consequently will not get "bang for their buck".

Usually it is teams that are prudent and patient, and let these franchises that have money to burn do it, then swoop in and land an under the radar guy who surprises people. I like the patient approach to Simon.

When it comes down to it you never really see the Spurs, Thunder or any other top notch organization swing for the fences this early on. Wonder why that is? Hmmm...

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    People keep wanting to say this, but where's is the evidence besides 'Player X signs with Not Pacers' over and over again?
    Crawford last year? remember that it was reported that he wanted more money? you keep also telling us that we offered Nash 10mil?

And you can't assume that he opted to play in Indy either.

Playing in Arizona EJ is closer to his brother, there isn't state income tax, and I'm sure he can benefit from the Suns' legendary med staff.
    EJ also has a little brother in Indy who is going to be a freshman, that was the brother he most wanted to be close to according to rumors propagated on this very forum.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

So according to this article we either A) Do not want to go into the luxury tax, or B) Refuse to add a scorer to the team. "A" is expected and "B" is clearly not true.

The bigger thing to me in that article is that supposedly the NBA is working behind the scenes to improve the Bobcats? WTF is that? This entire things looks made up to me.
    You need to read between the lines. A & B is the likely result of C) Simon doesn't want to go after the one RFA that could have put us over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by will567 View Post
    This is so right! Bird wanted to try and take the next step and be a true contender but the pacers are happy being a playoff team. Larrry is a winner and left when business topped trying to be the best. I think if the Pacers tried to do what the colts do and try to build a contending team people would come support the them.
    You gotta be freaking kidding me with this. The Colts are very cheap when it comes to Free Agency. They have never went out and tried to make a big splash in FA. They relied on Manning to essentially make everyone better than they really are.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

What doesn't add up? Whether Simon didn't want to spend in a specific direction, or didn't want to spend aggressively in general, this article makes way more sense than Bird's 180deg turn and citing health reasons ever did. Instead of acting excited about returning and questioning whether Herb wants to spend (which just the statement would imply Bird has some reason to wonder), wouldn't Bird have been more focused on talking about his health and how that was what would impact his decision?

Now, we can debate 'why' Simon wants to keep things in check and I'll throw out a couple of areas of random speculation-

For one thing, I've come to agree with the thought the Simons bought the team with the thought it was a civic duty... mixed in with a hearty helping of 'keeping up with the Jones''- A ticket to an exclusive club for mult-millionaires.... and billionaires.... Sports Team Owners. But never did they have a driving desire to bring a championship to Indy. They didn't get into this with that mindset to begin with. It's not like they were actively looking for a franchise. And Herb certainly got burned overpaying JO and others in the not too distant past.

If they don't match Roy I'm really starting to wonder if another part of the 'why' to the question of not spending is to get the team in some kind of good financial shape for a sale or possibly transfer to family. It's been said Simon's son isn't interested but I have no idea if that is true or not. But the 'who' doesn't matter as much to the 'why'.
    Last edited by Bball; 07-07-2012 at 11:56 PM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    Don't you guys see what is going on here? Starting July 1st, teams throw out ridiculous offers. I mean look at what Houston is offering Asik, Toronto is offering Fields, at Phoenix is offering EJ. It isn't worth it. These teams are overspending and consequently will not get "bang for their buck".

Usually it is teams that are prudent and patient, and let these franchises that have money to burn do it, then swoop in and land an under the radar guy who surprises people. I like the patient approach to Simon.

When it comes down to it you never really see the Spurs, Thunder or any other top notch organization swing for the fences this early on. Wonder why that is? Hmmm...
    both SAS and OKC dont have to spend in free agency because they completely rebuilt their team from the ground up we didn't. If we had a Durant Westbrook and Harden no one would be asking to spend in free agency. But we didn't build the way they did. We drafted mid teens every season instead of drafting top 5 and drafting top 5 talent like Duncan and Durant, Westbrook, Harden we drafted well in the mid teens for the most part. But expecting to build a championship core by drafting mid teens every year is just impossible. The way the team was built we needed to get a free agent elite talent and we have failed.

Comparing us to OKC and the Spurs is just silly.

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

I also agree... If we're not going to aggressively tweak the team thru FA, then it makes no sense not to 'tank' during down years and build thru high draft picks and maybe even a #1 if luck is with the team.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    You need to read between the lines. A & B is the likely result of C) Simon doesn't want to go after the one RFA that could have put us over the top.
    C makes no sense. There is no one free agent we could have aquired to put us over the top. DWill was the closest to that, but he wasn't coming no matter what. I love EJ, but he's a crap shoot health wise and even a healthy EJ doesen't put us over the top.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Settle down and show some respect. He deserves it. And he sure as hell deserves better than any Pacer fan having the nerve to say '**** you' to him. Absolutely ridiculous.
    If that Pacer fans spends a $1000 of their money with the team every year, then that fan has every right to go tell Simon to F-off if what the article is insinuating is true. The fans expect the Front Office and Ownership to be committed to building a team capable of winning a championship. Everyone knows from top to bottom that this team needs a real go to scorer. Simon doesn't get a pass just because he bought the team 30 years ago. He has been able to secure an awful lot of favorable contracts with the city to operate his business and own a team in this city.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

C makes no sense. I love EJ, but he's a crap shoot health wise and even a healthy EJ doesen't put us over the top.
    There are differing opinions on this.