Thread: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

Threaded View

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seth I don't think you understand the point that me and others have been making regarding Simon, yes we know he is willing to pay to have a competitive team(up to the cap), I just don't think he is willing to spend for a championship even if it means going over the cap, signing Hibbert and Hill doesn't have to do with anything that me and others have been talking about, he has to spend the money regardless.
    I don't think this is a particularly fair assessment, especially when you consider how many years the Pacers have spent over the cap (and, if I remember correctly, also in the LT area once or twice).

My problem is when people say Simon positively WILL NOT spend and so therefore blah blah blah. I think the reality is that Simon is WILLING to spend for a PROVEN result, and the people who complain are the ones whose "acceptable risk" is Herb's "too risky".

Is Simon being too conservative? Perhaps - I certainly don't think so, since I think a max offer for Gordon was pretty much a crazy move considering the injury history. Then again, I tend to see the damage of failure as of more concern than the possibility of success, especially given the situation starting in 2004. I can understand why people would disagree with that, and that's fine, but to fly in the face of almost 30 years of spending patterns to claim that it is all a basic "won't spend money on a championship team" issue is a bit bogus.

The Pacers have been conservative (sometimes to a fault) and that gets reinforced when the most recent case of trying to break that mold resulted in a public f**king in the stands at the Palace. I think Simon is more than willing to spend the money but ONLY if someone can make the case that the money is being spent on a high-percentage move.

Ironically, for all that Walsh has that "do nothing" moniker, I think he is much better able to convince Simon what to spend money on than Bird was. Some of that may be due to Bird's choices, some of it may just be due to the relationship Walsh and Simon have had over the years.

I'll take "spend on the wrong players" or "slow to pull the right trigger" or even "poor evaluation of talent" as critiques of the various previous FO lineups we've had. I may or may not agree, but I think they have a basis in history. The whole sound bite of "too cheap to spend money" just doesn't hold water, though.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post: