Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 291

Thread: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

  1. #51
    Member IndyHoya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We may still match Roy, but we're not going to look to add any big names. Our best hope is to replace one or some of our current guys with ones who fit together better to make up for it.
    And that's not the end of the world, folks. This whole FA thing isn't over yet. We sign Roy and we sign (or not sign) Mayo, and we'll still be pretty damned good. We can also pick over some future trade opportunities too. Walsh and Pritchard aren't idiots and the Simons traditionally have not been stingy. I'm not letting one unconfirmed sports column from a guy I've never heard of radically revise my thinking about the Pacers management, which I think is pretty astute. We'll see.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyHoya For This Useful Post:


  3. #52
    Star Platinum Hypnotiq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,968

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

    Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What is your obsession with this?

    I've seen you make this comment on about every thread you participate in.. lol
    What? i just don't want to be stuck in Mediocrity which is looking like where we are heading.

  4. #53
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,465

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

    If Bird has issues with the team and the owner, why is he still hanging around?

    https://twitter.com/TriciaWhitaker/s...663296/photo/1

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:


  6. #54
    billbradley
    Guest

    Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    name an all star quality guy who can get to the rim at will and shoot like both Deron and Eric can. This was our last shot to add before paying our own. Literally Deron and EJ fit the bill of our last remaining key piece we needed to a tee but we didnt go after one of them.
    So the Pacers only chance was land D. Will who was never coming here, or EJ, who we met with? And we didn't land these guys because of Simon?

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:


  8. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Bird has issues with the team and the owner, why is he still hanging around?

    https://twitter.com/TriciaWhitaker/s...663296/photo/1
    You don't burn your bridges if you are smart and Bird is very smart.....

  9. #56

    Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Bird has issues with the team and the owner, why is he still hanging around?

    https://twitter.com/TriciaWhitaker/s...663296/photo/1
    I believe he leaves August 1.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:


  11. #57
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,272
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

    I don't think not landing the superstars is an issue, they were never coming here. However, I hate that Simon is so strongly against the thought of the luxury tax. That is partially the problem when it comes to the Pacers not getting some free agents, because we have to lowball everyone.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  12. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,858
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

    Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So the Pacers only chance was land D. Will who was never coming here, or EJ, who we met with? And we didn't land these guys because of Simon?
    Of course Dwill isn't Simons fault. But Gordon yes if we offer him a fair deal and make him our fotf Right now his quotes would be my heart is in Indy.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  14. #59
    billbradley
    Guest

    Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course Dwill isn't Simons fault. But Gordon yes if we offer him a fair deal and make him our fotf Right now his quotes would be my heart is in Indy.
    What did we offer EJ?

  15. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,858
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Bird has issues with the team and the owner, why is he still hanging around?

    https://twitter.com/TriciaWhitaker/s...663296/photo/1
    Because he agreed to be with the team through the ORL summer league he said that on draft night.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  17. #61
    billbradley
    Guest

    Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

    So basically this is all because people are assuming we didn't offer enough money to EJ, who hasn't been able to stay on the court?

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:


  19. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

    Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What did we offer EJ?
    Nothing?

  20. #63
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What? i just don't want to be stuck in Mediocrity which is looking like where we are heading.
    Depends on how you define mediocrity. I think 41-41 records. The Hawks over the last four seasons had an average winning % of ~.591, which is good for about 48-49 wins in an 82 game season. I think this group, with Roy back, could average around 50 wins or so the next few years unless someone is much improved. I don't really think of that as mediocre. There's multiple levels in between mediocre and champion, and we're somewhere in between the two with Roy, I think.

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  22. #64
    billbradley
    Guest

    Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course Dwill isn't Simons fault. But Gordon yes if we offer him a fair deal and make him our fotf Right now his quotes would be my heart is in Indy.
    And you can't assume that he opted to play in Indy either.

    Playing in Arizona EJ is closer to his brother, there isn't state income tax, and I'm sure he can benefit from the Suns' legendary med staff.

  23. #65
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Bird has issues with the team and the owner, why is he still hanging around?

    https://twitter.com/TriciaWhitaker/s...663296/photo/1
    He's not the boss anymore. Significant difference. And he said he'd be here through the summer league.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  25. #66
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think not landing the superstars is an issue, they were never coming here. However, I hate that Simon is so strongly against the thought of the luxury tax. That is partially the problem when it comes to the Pacers not getting some free agents, because we have to lowball everyone.
    We offered Nash 10m per. We're giving George Hill 8m per.

    Something doesn't add up.

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  27. #67
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course Dwill isn't Simons fault. But Gordon yes if we offer him a fair deal and make him our fotf Right now his quotes would be my heart is in Indy.
    And the New Orleans will say 'We have fifty-eight million reasons why your heart will relocate back to the bayou."

  28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  29. #68
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,330

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We offered Nash 10m per. We're giving George Hill 8m per.

    Something doesn't add up.
    Herb didn't want to pay 58 million to a guy who has injury problems. Easy as that.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  30. #69
    Member MiaDragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    1,657

    Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is this really a surprise to anyone?
    No but it still pisses me off.

  31. #70
    Enjoying the Show BrownBearCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Age
    28
    Posts
    385
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

    Don't eat everything that is put in front of you, especially when it comes out of NYC.

  32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrownBearCoffee For This Useful Post:


  33. #71
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

    I'd actually be glad if Simon said 'No' to going after Eric Gordon. Not worth the money.

  34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:


  35. #72

    Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

    Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So basically this is all because people are assuming we didn't offer enough money to EJ, who hasn't been able to stay on the court?
    There are a few of us that have felt this way for years. My opinion hasn't changed because of anything that has occurred this offseason - it has simply been reinforced. I don't believe it is purely a money issue. I believe it is a money vs risk issue. The team has historically paid there own - guys that you know who they are and how they fit. I don't believe Herb has much interest in large FA contracts or risky / aggressive maneuvers. I don't think Herb has a burning desire to win a title. If you look at how the Simons came to acquire the Pacers I don't believe it is a stretch to believe they see the team as more of a civic duty. I think they want the team to be good, something the city can be proud of. But in no way do I believe the team or the Simon's priority is to win a title.

  36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:


  37. #73
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,330

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBearCoffee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't eat everything that is put in front of you, especially when it comes out of NYC.
    Exactly. Keep in mind Lawrence is competing against ******** Boy Peter Vecsey.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  38. #74
    billbradley
    Guest

    Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

    Quote Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are a few of us that have felt this way for years.
    When did you start believing SImon didn't want to spend?

    What players were not spent on specifically that caused you to believe this?

  39. #75

    Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

    Quote Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are a few of us that have felt this way for years. My opinion hasn't changed because of anything that has occurred this offseason - it has simply been reinforced. I don't believe it is purely a money issue. I believe it is a money vs risk issue. The team has historically paid there own - guys that you know who they are and how they fit. I don't believe Herb has much interest in large FA contracts or risky / aggressive maneuvers. I don't think Herb has a burning desire to win a title. If you look at how the Simons came to acquire the Pacers I don't believe it is a stretch to believe they see the team as more of a civic duty. I think they want the team to be good, something the city can be proud of. But in no way do I believe the team or the Simon's priority is to win a title.
    Exactly. The pacers have been a civic duty and to a lesser extent a nice hobby but I also don't believe he has that fire to win it all like Cuban and some of the others. if he did have that fire it most likely has ebbed in the last 30 some years

  40. The Following User Says Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-29-2011, 04:50 PM
  2. Pacers owner: Larry Bird's job safe
    By spazzxb in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-01-2011, 04:48 PM
  3. Larry Bird's job safe through season's end, Pacers owner says [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-01-2011, 01:30 PM
  4. Larry Bird: Pacers owner hasn't indicated team move [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 05:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •